MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! See What Members Are Saying!

GolfWRX_Official

30 minutes ago, tofur99 said:

best way through this is just massive amounts of practice with it, gotta re-train your brain.  I'm finding the ball comes off the face of the mezz hotter then my previous putter so I'm already hitting it firm, just trusting the line I'm seeing and trusting it'll have the pace not to drop off it in the last 25% of the putt

I just got done putting with it out back and I think you are dead on - just trust the damned thing.  The last sentence is dead on too - the putt does not wobble to a halt at the end of the putt - meaning it holds its line better - that must be my imagined reading error - I no longer have to account for that.  Thanks!  I am not sure why I thought retraining 51 years of putting would be quick 🙂  It is close

• Like 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

4 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

Haha on the fringe issue - it is not you - it is the design of the back of the putter - it is very sharp and has no rise - so it will snag in that case - no way around it ,but a reasonable tradeoff IMO.

I need to pick your brain on you (and everyone else) for aiming.  My speed control with the MEZZ and DF 2.1 is pretty amazing, but I am losing confidence in aim.  I think I need to train myself to allow for less break than in the past.  I am finding myself second guessing things.  Two situations:

1. I pick my read (say just outside right), then I think, but if it loses speed at the hole (which it rarely does with the better & more true roll of the MEZZ) it will break more.  Then I add that adjustment, and I miss just high.
  2. I pick my read and say, #1 got me, I am not going to play as much break - then I miss it low.  

I believe the miss in the #2 case is because i am tentative and slow the putter through impact, causing a poorer quality of roll, and/or or slight pull.  It may just be gaining confidence to turn off the analytical mind and just putt (with confidence).

Essentially - how are people doing with their green reading with the MEZZ?

I focus on a spot a few feet in front of me on the line I want to start it, then point & shoot.  I mean, it's really that easy with this thing.  As long as I read it correctly, and I hit it over that spot, the ball will roll true & stay on line.  Confidence is key & it abounds with this putter.  I really think I can make it from anywhere.  Which I know isn't true but hey .. one can think that, right?  

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

11 hours ago, HackinNut said:

I focus on a spot a few feet in front of me on the line I want to start it, then point & shoot.  I mean, it's really that easy with this thing.  As long as I read it correctly, and I hit it over that spot, the ball will roll true & stay on line.  Confidence is key & it abounds with this putter.  I really think I can make it from anywhere.  Which I know isn't true but hey .. one can think that, right?  

yeah the confidence is sky high with this thing, especially on those crucial 7-12 footers that can make or break a good round.  I used to stand over them just kinda hoping the ball comes off on-line, now I'm way more focused on if my read is correct because I know the ball is gunna come off the face on-line(or incredibly close).

In other news I tried the pelz putting tutor the other day for the first time, started with the steel ball bearings in the tightest setting and didn't knock one off in over 20 putts, got bored and stopped using it lmao

• Like 1

Has anyone found a particular green-reading technique that works best for LAB putters? That might be a dumb question, but I've never really stuck with one and I was curious what others thought.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

35 minutes ago, Sankacoffee said:

Has anyone found a particular green-reading technique that works best for LAB putters? That might be a dumb question, but I've never really stuck with one and I was curious what others thought.

Man - you may as well have asked a religion question 🙂  I am a feel putter and try to react more than fuss over a read.  I would ask you, how do you read putts on the putting green?  If you are like most people you just look at the putt and let 'er rip.  And you putt pretty damned well doing that, but on the course we turn into idiots with all sorts of "methods".

If you throw a paper wad into a trash can, do you have a method?  Hmmm, no, you just wad the paper look at the target and send it into the can.  Golf is different people say - haha - no it is not.

I always say, see what works for you because what works for me, may or may not work for you, but your body is so advanced it can tell you what to do, if you let it.

In one of these posts, I realized where I have gone off course over the years - I used to "see" the line and pick an aiming spot.  Then when I putted I just putted to the spot. But what that "method" requires is TRUST.   Trust is the key IMO - the LAB putter allows you to be an Iron Byron with consistency - you just have to realize that 🙂 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Man - you may as well have asked a religion question 🙂  I am a feel putter and try to react more than fuss over a read.  I would ask you, how do you read putts on the putting green?  If you are like most people you just look at the putt and let 'er rip.  And you putt pretty damned well doing that, but on the course we turn into idiots with all sorts of "methods".

If you throw a paper wad into a trash can, do you have a method?  Hmmm, no, you just wad the paper look at the target and send it into the can.  Golf is different people say - haha - no it is not.

I always say, see what works for you because what works for me, may or may not work for you, but your body is so advanced it can tell you what to do, if you let it.

In one of these posts, I realized where I have gone off course over the years - I used to "see" the line and pick an aiming spot.  Then when I putted I just putted to the spot. But what that "method" requires is TRUST.   Trust is the key IMO - the LAB putter allows you to be an Iron Byron with consistency - you just have to realize that 🙂 

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ above 👍 

I'll add what works for me with the MEZZ is picking the spot a few feet in front of the ball ... point & shoot.  Don't think much about anything else other than speed.  On breaking putts, I focus on speed & the apex.  That's it

But like @ajlacombe said ... it's about TRUST & Consistency 

11 minutes ago, HackinNut said:

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ above 👍 

I'll add what works for me with the MEZZ is picking the spot a few feet in front of the ball ... point & shoot.  Don't think much about anything else other than speed.  On breaking putts, I focus on speed & the apex.  That's it

But like @ajlacombe said ... it's about TRUST & Consistency 

I’ll throw my 2 cents in.  I’m a feel putter as well but since I know each place I go has different speeds I try and use the Bryson technique for speed.  I know how far back I need to go for 5 feet, 10 feet, 15, 20, etc and then match that stroke to each course.  For me it works as a downhill break putt may be 15 feet but I’ll have to treat it as a 5 foot putt.  Helps me break it down in my head easier.  I also pick a spot about a foot in front of the ball, pick what my high point is going to be and line up.  Then it’s point and click as I know how hard I’ll make the stroke and I’ve got the line ready to go.  I do use a line on the ball and also a mark in front to I know if the putter is square. It’s a mark marker that does it and I forgot the name but the line has an arc and when your over the ball the line looks square to the putter.  Helps me make certain I’m square to the line I’ve chosen. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

6 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

Loving my Mezz thus far. My thought when putting with it is a thought I got from @labgolf post in another thread. Basically, trying to focus on sending the shaft where it meets the club head to the hole

OMG - thank you for posting this!  I have been focusing on the short sightline, and that kind of made me look at the head.  My last putter had a long sightline and I only looked at that sightline to line the putter up. I just tried this and the putter head disappears for me - fantastic method IMO.

I need to give a shoutout to @labgolf as well. (Yes I am a club ho)  I ordered a custom DF 2.1 2 weeks ago with a stated completion time of 6-8 weeks.  I got shipping details today and was shocked.  The whole experience with LAB Golf has been fantastic - great company and great products that are radical in their approach to a very old and established game.  Thank you!

• Like 1

GolfWrx'ers ... take advantage of this now.  You won't regret it.  I promise 🙂 

image.png.4ded33aec8b8c92954f61fdae36e6338.png

1 minute ago, HackinNut said:

GolfWrx'ers ... take advantage of this now.  You won't regret it.  I promise 🙂 

image.png.4ded33aec8b8c92954f61fdae36e6338.png

Geez - for the DF 2.1 I just ordered this would have been worth about $85 😞   Timing is everything....  Yes - take the money and run away from traditional putters, I second that.

1 minute ago, ajlacombe said:

Geez - for the DF 2.1 I just ordered this would have been worth about $85 😞   Timing is everything....  Yes - take the money and run away from traditional putters, I second that.

Yeah I just got the email this morning from L.A.B. 😉

This might be a dumb question, but can you still plumb bob with the shaft lean of the LAB putters? I am going to pull the trigger either way, but someone asked about reading greens and it got me thinking. I use a combination of plumb bob and feel and wanted to see if any LAB putter owners use the plumb bob technique. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, drewsaber16 said:

This might be a dumb question, but can you still plumb bob with the shaft lean of the LAB putters? I am going to pull the trigger either way, but someone asked about reading greens and it got me thinking. I use a combination of plumb bob and feel and wanted to see if any LAB putter owners use the plumb bob technique. 

Thanks

It would be simple to do the plumb bob technique.  Just the MEZZ would just stay in one place in your hand.  Actually the way the shaft enters the grip actually gives you a spot to brace your fingers to hold the putter very still.  I don't use that technique but I'm sure it could easily be done 👍

On 3/23/2022 at 11:45 AM, ajlacombe said:

Yeah I have never really done anything except feel and let it rip. I used to get behind the hole and stuff but I realized it didn't help so I pretty much just go on the putting green and the course. My issue has always been changing the line over the ball due to what my feet feel, but it's always felt like half the time I do that I'm right and the other half I should have stuck to the original. I have started doing the Aimpoint feet thing at the apex but only really if I am unsure about the read, but it's helped. I don't do the degree of slope and finger thing though.

Trust is definitely the key though and I think picking a spot is a better thing for this putter than "a ball out, a cup out, etc.", which I've never really liked anyway. Putting has always been the strength of my game and I wanted to try LAB because I thought the tech made sense and not because I was struggling necessarily. After using the LAB I feel like I putt every day like my best days with other putters, and I'm not sure I was as good a putter as I thought haha.

• Like 1

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

Quick update after a few months in the bag:

This putter has been firmly in the bag.  I have a wandering eye and several other great putters that I am comfortable with, which I intentionally bring back out to the course, yet the Mezz finds its way back in the bag right away.

I'm averaging 29.9 putts with 7 posted rounds with the Mezz so far in 2022, 2021 numbers were 31.4.  I feel that I am making more putts, and have a lot of confidence with this putter.

Fun side note: another player at my club has a Mezz.1, LAGP shaft, and Press OG 3.0 grip.  Myself and several players that have compared both putters next to eachother all prefer my Accra LAB shaft and stock Press II 1.5.  It could be a difference in head weight, but the LAGP seems to add a lot of weight and stiffness.  Everyone who has tried my putter prefers the Accra x Press II 1.5.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Callaway UW 19* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X

Ping i230 4-P / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100

Titleist SM10 50.08F / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping PLD Custom Prime Tyne S / BGT Stability Tour Black

Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, CallTaylor said:

Ok. Dumb question here. I watched a video review on the Mezz. When ordering, you need to have your lie angle. How does one figure out one’s lie angle? I’m intrigued by the Mezz.1 and may give it a shot. Thanks all. 

I just watched the fitting video to make sure, and you do not need the lie angle.  Just the length of the putter you used in the video.  From that video they are going to determine your lie angle based on the straight line behind you (door frame).

If you want to determine the lie angle you would have to have a gauge to determine the angle of the shaft.  They have magnetic ones - search for angle gauge.  Or use Rise over run and figure out the geometry problem, but again it is not needed. With the angle gauge you need to measure the shaft angle and that is your lie angle.  You can use the difference between the shaft and face to see if you are using the right putter - most are not and their putter is toe up. With LAB - this is critical, but they will do it based off of your video.

If you order - do not forget to use the discount shown earlier in this thread - so you can benefit unlike some of use that missed out 🙂  The discount comes to Ho's that wait 🙂  Or is that those that wait? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TLDR: I talk about putters on a golf forum about putters.

I received mine today and headed out to the putting green. Very happy with it. I am going to commit to this putter for a long time.

A little about my search:

Been a single digit golfer for the last 15 years. I always bounced around from blade to mallet but was never consistent enough of a putter to get below scratch. I bought an odyssey sabertooth belly right as they were starting to discuss a possible anchor ban. It was other worldly for me. Point and shoot as they call it. I felt like the last piece was in place and started shooting the best scores of my life. Enter the anchor ban, and the hecklers saying they’re not going to pay me skins because I’m cheating. I moved back to standard putters and never got back to that level of putting. My current gamer has been the best so far for me. A 38” Odyssey Tank #7 with a Superstroke counterbalance with the biggest weight you can put in the grip. It’s heavy. Hard to get handsy, but lacks any kind of feel.  

When I used that belly for 8-9 months, it opened my eyes to the fact that I can be a really good/consistent putter, not just streaky/lucky.

Back to Mezz, it’s got the potential to be that game changer. I dabbled with DF2 and loved it, but couldn’t get past the looks. My opinion is that the DF2 is the more forgiving and the easier to line up of the two putters, but it’s not by much. I was a fan of the perpendicular line on the DF2 as it reminded me of a blade. I hope they experiment with more alignment options on Mezz. Either way, the Mezz is great and I’m excited to spend more time with it. 

Some things I noticed: 

- I did get different high pitched noises depending on where I hit it on the face. When hit well, it was a muted thud. Need to look more into this. Maybe the head has hollow spots? Maybe stick some cotton in there? 
- Distance control was great. 
- I wish they had designed something on the back to pick up the golf ball. 
- It obviously feels light compared to current gamer, so I feel like I’m steering a little bit. That should go away in time. 
- Made a lot of medium and long putts. Short putts are where I need to spend more time, as I have a bad habit of aiming left and pushing the putt to the hole. With the no torque tech, it’s almost as if I go to push it and it won’t? I missed a lot left. This excites me because that’s what happened when I started using the belly. I missed everything left, fixed my alignment and it was point and shoot. 

Ok that’s enough. 

• Like 1

Got on some really fast greens yesterday & had a real hard time with speed control with the MEZZ.  I mean really slick greens ... if you were above the hole, it was next to impossible.  I mean they were almost unplayable in my mind.  But I'm never on greens that fast that often.  Most of the courses I play tend to be on the medium to slow side in speed.  I couldn't get used to these AT all.  One hole I'd be above the hole & if it didn't go in, it went by 6 feet or more, regardless of how hard I hit it.  Then of course we all know what inevitably happens after that ... the comeback putt is short.  So I had the worst putting round I've had since getting the MEZZ.  It was probably operator error, so I could have putted poorly with any flatstick on those greens.  It was like putting on a table top, which I'm definitely not used to. 

2 hours ago, HackinNut said:

Got on some really fast greens yesterday & had a real hard time with speed control with the MEZZ.  I mean really slick greens ... if you were above the hole, it was next to impossible.  I mean they were almost unplayable in my mind.  But I'm never on greens that fast that often.  Most of the courses I play tend to be on the medium to slow side in speed.  I couldn't get used to these AT all.  One hole I'd be above the hole & if it didn't go in, it went by 6 feet or more, regardless of how hard I hit it.  Then of course we all know what inevitably happens after that ... the comeback putt is short.  So I had the worst putting round I've had since getting the MEZZ.  It was probably operator error, so I could have putted poorly with any flatstick on those greens.  It was like putting on a table top, which I'm definitely not used to. 

HAHA - LMAO at the "we all knows what happens next"  Thanks I needed that laugh - so true.

I have been realizing what I think you are saying happened to you.  I have been noticing on my indoor mat that the amount of backswing for a given putt is not much and that since the ball strike with the MEZZ (or DF 2.1) is so clean, some putts can be a challenge because I do not think I hit it as well as i did.

The L.A.B. golf learning curve is an onion - you keep peeling back the layers as you re-learn how to putt.

I played today and it was amazing and infuriating at the same time.  second hole from 50' away and slightly in the rough - I putted it and it looked pretty good and just did not stop as it went up and over the fringe and the edge of the green - big break and down hill and stop just before it was overhanging the hole.  This crap happened all day - just short or just high or just low.  THe thought of putting the end of the shaft was great, but I made only one putt.  Normally the MEZZ putts roll out that last bit and into the hole but not today.

I also spazzed on a 2-3 footer and pushed it wide right.  Still loving the MEZZ.  New DF 2.1 arrives tomorrow. Looking forward to having another L.A.B. putter to have int eh rotation.

• Like 1

This is probably a question for @labgolf. I received my Mezz arm lock putter (I have putted Arm lock style for a while using a DF2 and a Odyssey). When I opened the box I was surprised that I  received a Mezz XL, I expected a standard sized head. One thing I noticed is the thing is on the heavy side. Heavier than the DF2 Arm lock. Is there a way to lighten it up? 

Edited by Long Shot

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

41 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

This is probably a question for @labgolf. I received my Mezz arm lock putter (I have putted Arm lock style for a while using a DF2 and a Odyssey). When I opened the box I was surprised that I  received a Mezz XL, I expected a standard sized head. One thing I noticed is the thing is an absolute tank. Way heavier than the DF2 Arm lock. It is almost unwieldy, it is so heavy, for me I can't use this thing. Why is this so much heavier? Is there a standard Mezz in the armlock that is not the XL version? 

41 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

This is probably a question for @labgolf. I received my Mezz arm lock putter (I have putted Arm lock style for a while using a DF2 and a Odyssey). When I opened the box I was surprised that I  received a Mezz XL, I expected a standard sized head. One thing I noticed is the thing is an absolute tank. Way heavier than the DF2 Arm lock. It is almost unwieldy, it is so heavy, for me I can't use this thing. Why is this so much heavier? Is there a standard Mezz in the armlock that is not the XL version? 

Email [email protected] we can lighten it up as much as needed. Typically Arm lock heads are around 400g. The normal head can't get that heavy.

1 hour ago, Long Shot said:

Out of curiosity, how long did your arm lock take to receive after you ordered? I was told 5 weeks initially and am now around the halfway point. I wasn't sure if that was your experience as well or if you received it before that timeframe.

1 hour ago, spdmb8888 said:

Out of curiosity, how long did your arm lock take to receive after you ordered? I was told 5 weeks initially and am now around the halfway point. I wasn't sure if that was your experience as well or if you received it before that timeframe.

5 weeks almost to the day. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Well, my ned DF 2.1 arrived today - of course it was after I left to play 18 this afternoon, even though it should have been delivered yesterday - but who's bitter 🙂 

It has a Stability Tour Fire shaft and Press 1.L grip - the grip is huge and feels great.

I get home from golf and it is cold with rain off and on, but I have to take it out and try it.  I tap a ball on it and it rings.  I hit it on my green and it rings.  I do not mind the ring, but it is strange that this one rings and my other DF 2.1 and my MEZZ do not ring.  It was about 40º outside as well - with 10mph winds.

I go inside and hit it on my mat, and...  It does not ring - AT ALL.  It sounds just like the other putters.  My first reaction is WTF just happened, and how did it happen.

Now I need to pay attention to what happens when I get it outside again.  I tried like hell to get it to ring in the house but could not.  I am baffled as to what this issue is, because it does not make sense as to what is causing the ring - especially when mine rang and then did not.