MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! See What Members Are Saying!

GolfWRX_Official

6 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

This is why I love Arccos.  I now have more than, "Man my putting stunk today."  Now it is I was previously -2.3 strokes gained putting the last three months of 2021.  The rounds since I got my MEZZ have been. +1.8, +1.6, 0.0, and -0.1.   Now this isn't a buy the LAB or you are a moron post, but it has helped me so far.  I have barely hit any putts on our practice green as it hasn't been really warm on any rounds on the weekend, and the limited daylight until the time changes makes it difficult for me to get out.  I feel comfortable on the short putts now and I did not before, but I have had to adjust how I read putts because I was inadvertently read more and less break because of how I knew my stroke had worked for years.   Now I hit the ball on my line and my reading of putts has had to change and I am working on getting better at that. 

It is not point and shoot for everyone, it is point and shoot for some and for others they will need a bit of work.  Like......

1. Practice, and practice on more than your in house putting mat.  Find a setup that starts the ball on line on your mat and then 

2. Practice on a real putting green.  Make sure you are still comfortable on the putting green.

The first time, putting green, then hit balls, then putting green again to make sure your setup is comfortable.  This is a big deal. 

3. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR STROKE ON THE COURSE.  Too many people I see are watching the head go back and through trying to make sure the face is square and not worrying about making a stroke.  This is why I see a lot of people struggle with distance control, if you aren't swinging the putter properly you won't make good contact and your distance control will suck.  

I have been playing competitive golf since I was in high school, college, and then after college for a few years.  I had a stroke that I ingrained making subtle adjustments to so I could putt well.  Removing all of that overnight is not easy, but work on it and you will get repaid.  It is not a magic bullet because you still have to read the putt properly and not tweak your hands as you used to.

Thank you for your advice and feedback.

i hope I am one of the people who can point and shoot.

Does Arccos work well? I know a few people, gaming mostly Cobra irons, who have it but do not use it, or I should rather say do not tell people that they are using it.

I use Garmin for tracking my long game but di not track (except number of putts) my short game… So I do not know where exactly I fall in the good/bad putting category… I just measure myself against the people I play with… I believe I am quite solid… but would love to have stats to back it up.

50 minutes ago, Willa said:

Thank you for your advice and feedback.

i hope I am one of the people who can point and shoot.

Does Arccos work well? I know a few people, gaming mostly Cobra irons, who have it but do not use it, or I should rather say do not tell people that they are using it.

I use Garmin for tracking my long game but di not track (except number of putts) my short game… So I do not know where exactly I fall in the good/bad putting category… I just measure myself against the people I play with… I believe I am quite solid… but would love to have stats to back it up.

I got my sensors through the Ping offer they had a little over a year ago.  As far as the numbers and info, it is great and works pretty well.  

Caveats.....

1. Using a phone blows

2. Link is 100 bucks, but enhances the usefulness so much.  Marking the flag and easier picking up of shots.

It takes some getting used to , but the stats are great.   You can use online guides based on your approach putt, but then you are estimating distances, where with Arccos if you mark the hole you get pretty right no stats.  It really allowed me to pinpoint weaknesses, and put together a plan to address those.  Putting I addressed with the MEZZ, and some practice.  My next big area to address are tee shots(hitting the treeline) and chipping(getting up and down at better than 1 out of 5).  If I hit tee shots well, I score decent, if I hit tee shots well and putt well I am gonna win most games I play.  Tee shots are doing a few small things and getting my club weights correct.  Chipping is practice.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

LMAO on the phone with Arccos sucks - truer words have not been spoken.  Link is worth it!

Arccos can be used for so many things.  The strokes gained stuff is great, but you can also use it to look at you club distance gapping.  I have gone down the road of a loft/lie machine and found loft and lie errors that Arccos can point out with club yardage gaps, and then shot direction distributions.

The biggest thing I like about Arccos  is the caddie for during the round. I shot teh pin with my laser and that allows me to see where the pin is on the green, and then it suggests a club - you can look at the yardage adjustments it makes for that suggestion as well - teaching you how to decide on a club.

Arccos has helped me on many levels.  

I am hopping my MEZZ is placed  in my garage waiting for me to arrive back home next Saturday for a round on Sunday - I will try to practice as much as I can on Saturday 🙂 

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

@driveandputtmachine and @ajlacombe thank you for your advice on Arccos… seems like I am going to invest in it!

My Mezz should be arriving today… it has been driving me mad knowing that it has been a few miles from me since Saturday/Sunday… hopefully UPS keeps to their estimations!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aucaveman said:

Question for anybody that ordered a mezz in the last 3-4 weeks. When it shipped out, did ups update the shipping at all. Mine shipped on the 18th, but it hasn’t been updated since the 19th. It says Friday is the expected delivery date but I’m not sure it’s coming then. Btw, I’m in Georgia. 

Mine shipped Friday. Immediately got an exception and didn't receive any updates until yesterday. I'd imagine due to President's Day? (not sure if that's what it was in the US) Got my notice for import fees this morning and an updated delivery date of Friday after paying. So should be moving for you. I'd check it out this morning on your tracking Email.

Edited by KhiloD
I can't spell

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

4 hours ago, Aucaveman said:

Question for anybody that ordered a mezz in the last 3-4 weeks. When it shipped out, did ups update the shipping at all. Mine shipped on the 18th, but it hasn’t been updated since the 19th. It says Friday is the expected delivery date but I’m not sure it’s coming then. Btw, I’m in Georgia. 

Mine was shipped to South Africa on the 16th. It was supposed to be delivered by the 22nd… It was already in the warehouse 20 miles from me on the 20th… the updates just said “warehouse scan”.

I phoned Ups today and said, I must pay customs, and once paid it will be released. I immediately paid… still no update on delivery.

What bothers me is that if I did not contact Ups, I still would not have received an update or the customs info. 

17 minutes ago, Willa said:

Mine was shipped to South Africa on the 16th. It was supposed to be delivered by the 22nd… It was already in the warehouse 20 miles from me on the 20th… the updates just said “warehouse scan”.

I phoned Ups today and said, I must pay customs, and once paid it will be released. I immediately paid… still no update on delivery.

What bothers me is that if I did not contact Ups, I still would not have received an update or the customs info. 

That's weird. I got an e-mail immediately for my customs and then the package updated right away that customs was paid and it was cleared. Strange how the same company does things differently depending on part of the world.

Stealthing my Mezz.1 Press II 1.5L grip - Part 1

So here is the original Press II 1.5L grip:

32723041_2022-01-2910_15_09.jpg.e76c436a06029c4783f6604d7bfa411d.jpg

Ever since I got the putter, I always wanted to blacken (stealth) the grip.

My reason for doing this is to keep my experience of not having any distractions on my putter for my eyes to wander. I need my eye to focus on the head & the ball. I had this on my OG Press grip of my Directed Force putter and I very much love the stealth experience there.

Finally, I got some time to see what I can do to remove the white lettering on the right side of the grip. This is the first part. Took a black sharpie and decided to mark the white lettering.

In the below picture, the sharpie black came out more gloss than it actually looks in real life:

42384800_2022-02-2314_27_24.jpg.89a99fdaa9adf16910c3461702cb9352.jpg

694956933_2022-02-2314_28_47.jpg.b76711461d2e68037e7d0b0e76a95e8c.jpg

The last picture definitely looks more clean.

So here is the Pilot's view of a BEFORE and AFTER:

Mezz_Grip_Blackout.jpg.6791a2a8034d0ad05a6f503881f4d0a7.jpg

I'll see how durable is the Sharpie marking before I do the next step - remove the center line.

I know @HackinNut suggested using a black grip tape but that just adds weight to the putter grip. Right now, the weighting is perfect for me so I really don't want to mess with it.

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

8 hours ago, KhiloD said:

That's weird. I got an e-mail immediately for my customs and then the package updated right away that customs was paid and it was cleared. Strange how the same company does things differently depending on part of the world.

I got mine today. I got an email from UPS when it shipped. It was due in yesterday but then the train derailment from earlier in the thread delayed it a day.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

20 minutes ago, Sankacoffee said:

I got mine today. I got an email from UPS when it shipped. It was due in yesterday but then the train derailment from earlier in the thread delayed it a day.

Mine is rescheduled to deliver on Monday now. 

1 hour ago, KhiloD said:

Mine is rescheduled to deliver on Monday now. 

Still have not received any update regarding delivery… I have a big game on Saturday… and wanted enough practice with the Mezz before putting it into the bag…

Looks like I am going to game my Scotty on Saturday😓….

Ups does not have the best reputation in South Africa and I queried this with LAB when I ordered… I was advised that Ups is solid and that DHL would have charged $100 more for delivery…  thus my shipping charges would have been $260 on a $450 putter… 

3 hours ago, Sankacoffee said:

Mine was delivered today but not into my garage - I saw from the doorbell cam that the driver just dropped it at my garage door.  Well - they now have assumed liability if it is not there tomorrow since I gave them the access code - I need to call UPS and thank them for an easy delivery 🙂

I have someone dropping by tomorrow to put the box in teh house.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

My reason for doing this is to keep my experience of not having any distractions on my putter for my eyes to wander. I need my eye to focus on the head & the ball. I had this on my OG Press grip of my Directed Force putter and I very much love the stealth experience there.

Finally, I got some time to see what I can do to remove the white lettering on the right side of the grip. This is the first part. Took a black sharpie and decided to mark the white lettering.

In the below picture, the sharpie black came out more gloss than it actually looks in real life:

I'll see how durable is the Sharpie marking before I do the next step - remove the center line.

I know @HackinNut suggested using a black grip tape but that just adds weight to the putter grip. Right now, the weighting is perfect for me so I really don't want to mess with it.

This is what I use.  There is no way that tape this small would affect the swing weight.  It would be so negligible that it wouldn't be noticed. 

image.png.8715061e21bc2f0a67a713c8164398ff.png 

• Thanks 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

On 2/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, SwingBlues said:

I think @HackinNut means run a single strip of the grip tape vertically over the line, don't wrap it.  Or I'd suggest even trying black electrical tape in the same manner as i just described.

56 minutes ago, tenacious84 said:

I think @HackinNut means run a single strip of the grip tape vertically over the line, don't wrap it.  Or I'd suggest even trying black electrical tape in the same manner as i just described.

Thanks, but I am good for now. Rolled some putts today, I am really happy with the sharpie stealth look....even if it runs on my hands, lol. Plus, I would put tape on if I didn't want it permanent but this putters mine, it has found it's home even if I no longer game it so I am very comfortable with the sharpie. I may look at other sharpies to see what works best with the color in, or acrylic paint it. I didn't realize how it was driving me batty until I rolled it this evening. Minimize the distractions to my eyes...one of the main reasons I LUV my OG Press grip and DF.

Sorry LAB Golf, the wordings are way too loud. Please consider going more discreetly smaller. I just saw the new 2022 Scotty Cameron grips, love how understated the letterings are. Jus sayin'

Wow...

https://www.golfwrx.com/672119/charl-schwartzel-switches-putters-after-a-phone-call-with-adam-scott/

Congratulations on CS coming on board with the Mezz.1 👍

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 2

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

I was just going to post that about Charles Schwartzel.  His model has a Dot as the alignment aide.  Not sure what that tiny piece of lead tape is going to do. 🤔

image.png.513c35f41e2fb3b9d539a18628efddb4.png

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:55 PM, labgolf said:

It's a little pingy on off center trikes, particularly off the bottom of the club. Happy accident for good feedback!

I've been putting with mine and most strikes that feel good in the center have a slight pingy noise. Does that mean I'm likely a little low-center on strikes?

1 hour ago, Willa said:

He changed the grip, the lead tape is to re-balance the Mezz1.

Yeah I understand that.  Balance with one lousy small piece??   Didn't think that would really do much & how can one tell the difference in that small amount of weight  🙄

Charl Schwartzel has been searching for a couple of years now for a putter, including a Biomech (Backstryke like). I don't think I've seen him with a Directed Force. Yet.

Anyway, hope he finds success and I'll be very interested to see Mezz.1 make a Masters debut by it's past Champions in Scott & Schwartzel. Oh yeah 👍👍

Edited by SwingBlues

2 hours ago, Willa said:

I hope he does well with it and hope both Adam and Charl game it at the masters…

I however see Charl is 4 over currently at the Honda…

The Bear Trap is BRUTAL. Wolff was +11 yesterday with an 81, ouch. Jones shot 61 last year and he was over Par yesterday. Hope they show some CS putting...

I received mine Friday so I will give a short review. I got in an hour of practice with it and then 18 holes. First the putter is beautiful. Looks very upscale. Its on the smaller side. I wouldn’t consider the mezz “hot”. I like the feel. I want to have to “hit” it if it’s a long putt. Also makes short putts down hill easier. If struck in the middle with a soft ball it’s very dull and muted. If struck on the perimeter it does get a little higher pitch and metallic sounding. Again, not a bad thing. I would say forgiveness is average. I wouldn’t say it’s any better or any worse than anything else I’ve used. Now for stability. It’s by far the most stable putter I’ve used.  You will hit your spot once you learn to take the hands out of the stroke. My biggest take away besides the hands, is to finish the stroke. Don’t pop it. Once I was releasing the head I putted great. Finished with 30 putts and a 75. And I wasn’t leaving myself easy 2 putts today. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aucaveman said:

I received mine Friday so I will give a short review. I got in an hour of practice with it and then 18 holes. First the putter is beautiful. Looks very upscale. Its on the smaller side. I wouldn’t consider the mezz “hot”. I like the feel. I want to have to “hit” it if it’s a long putt. Also makes short putts down hill easier. If struck in the middle with a soft ball it’s very dull and muted. If struck on the perimeter it does get a little higher pitch and metallic sounding. Again, not a bad thing. I would say forgiveness is average. I wouldn’t say it’s any better or any worse than anything else I’ve used. Now for stability. It’s by far the most stable putter I’ve used.  You will hit your spot once you learn to take the hands out of the stroke. My biggest take away besides the hands, is to finish the stroke. Don’t pop it. Once I was releasing the head I putted great. Finished with 30 putts and a 75. And I wasn’t leaving myself easy 2 putts today. 

Yeah I took it out to practice yesterday and on strokes where I did not do anything with my hands it was insane. Speed really wasn't that bad on long putts either, but I still have some work to do on lagging. I think I spent a little too much time out there and started manipulating it towards the end but I really enjoyed it. Coming from a life of Newports I thought it would take me longer to accept the shape but it didn't bother me at all. I also love the white shaft.

I finally get a chance to put this bad boy to the test on the course tomorrow.  Hopefully my practice of draining 8 footers in the tiny hole on the Perfect Putting mat will pay off.  I expect the greens to be slow but we shall see.  Will report back

31 minutes ago, HackinNut said:

I finally get a chance to put this bad boy to the test on the course tomorrow.  Hopefully my practice of draining 8 footers in the tiny hole on the Perfect Putting mat will pay off.  I expect the greens to be slow but we shall see.  Will report back

I am doing the same with gaming this tomorrow - I just got back from trip and rolled a few in the house on a mat and my initial review is - OMG, Holy Sheite.  Hard to describe but suffice it to say there is no torquing from the putter and it feels like magic.  What happens to me on short ones is I can get twitchy and shove putts one way or another - with this putter it seems like it provides a confidence that melts the manipulations - I am not sure but it sounded like I heard the putter say Use the Force Luke 🙂 

• Like 2