MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! See What Members Are Saying!

GolfWRX_Official

3 hours ago, xandersingh said:

Quick update from me. I got my Mezz back from L.A.B! They weighted it at E0 and its nice and heavy just the way I like it! My distance and speed control has improved immensely to the point where I felt comfortable listing my other putters on the BST 🙂

I have also ordered a Press 1.L grip that I'm going to try on it. Will report back!!

Thanks for this - I always measure total weight and swingweight for my putters (fleet 😞) .  I think I am going to ask for E0 or maybe a touch higher, and now I am debating on the Accra shaft versus the stock True Temper shaft.  I want to be able to feel the ball without a decoupling of feel like you get with some of the Odyssey insert putters.  With a lack of feel I have little feedback about the strike.  Once I get the online fitting I will place the order

I am not a fan of this fitting process where you have two choices for the fit.

• Online fit (some guessing involved)
  • Club Champion - going to be charged for a "fitting" that is not really a fitting.  I would love to hit various weights and various shafts - I would know immediately which way to go with the shaft and grips.  A helpful bit for LAB Golf is to put a comparator up that compares their grips versus others so you can guess on size, shape and length.
  • And of course a blind order - which would be really stupid

One question - LAB is touting the Accra shaft as both more stable and with more feel.  Those seem to be opposing characteristics.  Feel is flexibility and more stable is stiffer.  Am I missing something with this?  I have only hit one putter with graphite in the haft - Stroke Lab and I did not think they had a soft feel at all.

Edited by ajlacombe
Added info

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

15 hours ago, Jarlaxle said:

When do you expect these will be showing up in stores?  I have tried the others at PGASS and they weren't for me but this one really has my attention. 

Where are you located?  Was just goofing around with the MEZZ at the PGASS in East Palo Alto CA.  They have a couple of each model including a couple of armlocks and even a broomstick - out on the floor for anyone to try, not locked up.

• Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

3 hours ago, Tupperwolf said:

Where are you located?  Was just goofing around with the MEZZ at the PGASS in East Palo Alto CA.  They have a couple of each model including a couple of armlocks and even a broomstick - out on the floor for anyone to try, not locked up.

I am in Atlanta, am about halfway between the two in Kennesaw and Roswell so end up wandering around each at least once every couple of weeks…

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

On 1/11/2022 at 12:19 PM, CasualLie said:

Taking a bit of a contrarian view, and a soft definition of "kinks" (i.e. flaws), I would say from a personal point of view there are a few kinks.  But it is personal, the "kinks" are not preventing function; they fall in the category of "form".  As it has been mentioned, the putter is the most personal.  It really does not matter how technically advanced it is, if you are not comfortable with it, you are going to miss putts.  Look at that crazy putter than can stand on its own on the green!  You can set it down and walk all around it to make sure it is perfectly lined up, but as soon as you get your hands on it, anything can happen.

The minor "kinks":

1. I do not like the sound off the face.  The ting like noise is inconsistent other than it is mostly there.  I find myself distracted and listening for it.  I do believe it the metal plate where the shaft is inserted that causes most of this, but I am not an engineer so I am likely wrong, but still...I wish the sound was not there.

2. The putter head is too angular looking, it needs softer lines that can blend into the background.  I liked the original DF for this reason, squared up at address, but the bigger back just blended.  It was too big though.  I asked Bill years ago, why not make the same ratio putter as the original DF, but at 60% scale?  Same tech, same look, just more compact?

I know I am being picky, but that's putting.  This is a very high quality putter and the tech is amazing, the grooves and roll superb.  Is it $650 worth of tech?  I don't know.  That's personal preference.

I do think what this putter boils down to is as a player can you go with a true face balance which necessitates a center shaft and a more of the feel of straight back and straight through?  If you already suck at putting, then this absolutely is your answer.  Let go of all your past baggage because it was not working anyway, and this putter will make you much, much better.  It's well worth $650 or more!  But if you are good at putting, good enough that it is not a weakness compared to the rest of your game, then I am not sure what this putter gets you.  

I agree with the 2 kinks mentioned above

I guess I must be hard of hearing because I don't think the sound is that bad.  It definitely depends on the ball you are using, of course.  Two piece balls, like a Rock-Flight, you definitely hear a Ping sound.  But I use ProV1's, so it's a muted thud sound to me.  I even hit balls on the heel & toe on purpose, so I don't believe the metal plate has anything to do with it.  

But like you say, putting is all personal preference.  Believe me, I am a blade player for years & have never used a mallet, let alone a center shafted one.  

I will see if I can get a video with sound later.  😉  

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

20 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

Thanks for this - I always measure total weight and swingweight for my putters (fleet 😞) .  I think I am going to ask for E0 or maybe a touch higher, and now I am debating on the Accra shaft versus the stock True Temper shaft.  I want to be able to feel the ball without a decoupling of feel like you get with some of the Odyssey insert putters.  With a lack of feel I have little feedback about the strike.  Once I get the online fitting I will place the order

I am not a fan of this fitting process where you have two choices for the fit.

• Online fit (some guessing involved)
  • Club Champion - going to be charged for a "fitting" that is not really a fitting.  I would love to hit various weights and various shafts - I would know immediately which way to go with the shaft and grips.  A helpful bit for LAB Golf is to put a comparator up that compares their grips versus others so you can guess on size, shape and length.
  • And of course a blind order - which would be really stupid

One question - LAB is touting the Accra shaft as both more stable and with more feel.  Those seem to be opposing characteristics.  Feel is flexibility and more stable is stiffer.  Am I missing something with this?  I have only hit one putter with graphite in the haft - Stroke Lab and I did not think they had a soft feel at all.

As noted earlier, my DF 2.1 has a Tour Stability shaft in it but my Mezz has the Accra shaft in it.  I think the Tour Stability shaft is arguably the softest feeling shaft out there but I realize that is probably subjective.  By no means is the Accra shaft harsh feeling.  I don't personally think the Accra is as "soft" as the Tour Stability.  Again, possibly subjective.  That said, the Mezz has a great feel off the face that resonates up through the hands but the putter is really stable through impact.  So I would say that Accra has pulled off a stable and good-feeling putter shaft that makes for a nice combo with the Mezz.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Orange Hog said:

As noted earlier, my DF 2.1 has a Tour Stability shaft in it but my Mezz has the Accra shaft in it.  I think the Tour Stability shaft is arguably the softest feeling shaft out there but I realize that is probably subjective.  By no means is the Accra shaft harsh feeling.  I don't personally think the Accra is as "soft" as the Tour Stability.  Again, possibly subjective.  That said, the Mezz has a great feel off the face that resonates up through the hands but the putter is really stable through impact.  So I would say that Accra has pulled off a stable and good-feeling putter shaft that makes for a nice combo with the Mezz.

I always get confused when people talk about soft golf clubs - the typical is that the irons are butter soft.  My response is if it is soft, then how about I plant that iron in your forehead, and see how soft you think it is.  With an iron or a typical putter - the soft feeling is the mass differential between the ball and club head.  To prove this hit a golf ball with a putting motion with a sledge hammer - it will produce everyone's butter soft feel and yet the sledge is HARD AS HELL.  I am NOT casting stones at this or any post, but I want to know about the shafts for the MEZZ, because I am about to order the putter.

My question is - if all of these shafts you are talking about are so soft, I am again confused, because they are all touted (by everyone) as the most stable putter shaft ever (hence the name like Stability Shaft).  How can they be the most stable shaft ever, yet soft as melting butter?  That is saying to me - this shaft is super stiff and yet soft at the same time.  Again, not making fun, I am trying to figure out what everyone means with the some feel of a stiff shaft.

Can anyone explain that to me?  Also bonus appreciation for anyone that can tell me how they felt about going to a center shafted putter, because that is scaring me that I will hate it.  Thanks!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jarlaxle said:

I am in Atlanta, am about halfway between the two in Kennesaw and Roswell so end up wandering around each at least once every couple of weeks…

I am in the exact same locale.  I wanted to wait and try the MEZZ in store but couldn't wait.  I prefer the Kennesaw store to the Roswell one, and rarely frequent it anymore since I've been working from home for almost two years now.

I will say this the MEZZ is almost as forgiving as the DF in a package that looks to be about the size of a Odyssey fang.  I have only played it once due to the crappt weather we've been having here in Atlanta.  Course already announced closed on Saturday, but playing on Sunday to give it the second go round on the course.

• Thanks 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

1 hour ago, ajlacombe said:

I always get confused when people talk about soft golf clubs - the typical is that the irons are butter soft.  My response is if it is soft, then how about I plant that iron in your forehead, and see how soft you think it is.  With an iron or a typical putter - the soft feeling is the mass differential between the ball and club head.  To prove this hit a golf ball with a putting motion with a sledge hammer - it will produce everyone's butter soft feel and yet the sledge is HARD AS HELL.  I am NOT casting stones at this or any post, but I want to know about the shafts for the MEZZ, because I am about to order the putter.

My question is - if all of these shafts you are talking about are so soft, I am again confused, because they are all touted (by everyone) as the most stable putter shaft ever (hence the name like Stability Shaft).  How can they be the most stable shaft ever, yet soft as melting butter?  That is saying to me - this shaft is super stiff and yet soft at the same time.  Again, not making fun, I am trying to figure out what everyone means with the some feel of a stiff shaft.

Can anyone explain that to me?  Also bonus appreciation for anyone that can tell me how they felt about going to a center shafted putter, because that is scaring me that I will hate it.  Thanks!

1. Soft feeling - this is mainly sound.  Sound waves travel better and in a higher frequency through steel than they do through graphite.  Graphite spreads it out and vibration as well causing the sound to be more muted.  90% of people I tested when I owned my putter company interpreted sound as feel.  My MEZZ currently has the True Temper Black steel shaft in it.  I have a Stability sitting here beside me to install on the MEZZ just because, but want to give the standard shaft a thorough testing first.  LAB said this "could" mess up the balance and my putter may need to be re-balanced and gave me someone to contact if I do the swap.  I do not know that the BGT will make the putter feel like butter, but it will absolutely mute the sound of it, how much depends on how good your ears are.

2.  I played an Answer, Zing, and heel shafted putters for YEARS.  Literally as long as I have played golf.  I have never taken a center shafted putter onto the course until last Sunday.  Two things here.

A. Putt a lot at home somewhere.  If you have a mat that's the best.  This is to help you get used to the new look.  I am still not over it, but getting closer.  I bet I have hit 200 putts on my mat, and another 30ish on the golf course last weekend, it is different.  However for me it is not bad or good, just different.  If I see the ball go into the hole more often it will become better.

B. Remember that how you putt on your mat may be different than on the course.

I read so much of move the ball up or you will suffer pushes or pulls, just all kinds of things.  I was super un-comfortable the first few holes with the ball pushed up further in my stance.  We were on a frost delay so I didn't get the practice any putting before going out.  My lag putting was horrible and I stayed un-comfortable for 6 or 7 holes.  Then I went to my normal stance and lag putting was no longer a problem.  I was not pushing or pulling short putts in either stance which was mind boggling.  Imagine having a 6 footer for birdie and feeling like all of your muscles are twitching or just too tense.  Then you lighten the pressure with your thumbs and the ball rolls right where you aim it anyway.  Then imagine all your muscles are quiet and none are tense and making a 6 footer for par and both hitting the center of the cup, or that every putt you hit at 6 feet or under the entire round went in.  Shoot if not for a few bad reads I would have made a bunch more birdies.  This putter will not make me a better chipper, but will make me a better converter of chips.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

1 hour ago, ajlacombe said:

I wish LABSGolf had a "Try before you buy" program like Ben Hogan or Sub70 Golf. At least with this option, golfers who are not near a store or fitter that carries LAB, can "rent" & try the club to see if it will work for them.

My first LAB putter was bought sight unseen. Same goes for swapping out the stock steel shaft in my DF for the OG BGT Stability, probably the most expensive putter shaft I have bought in my golfing life...turns out to be the best investment to date also. There was no ACCRA or LA Golf back then.

My Mezz is the 1st time I have a different graphite putter shaft other than the OG Stability. One of the things I look for is accuracy at long range putting - my OG Stability is stellar in that regards. With the ACCRA, I've had no issues with accuracy and I get back a better soft feel versus a dead muted feel in the OG. For the stock swing-weight of the Mezz, it suits the shaft. I don't know if a heavier swing weight will effect the ACCRA, that's a question that LAB can perhaps answer...

As for center shafted putters, it was not new for me. In my search for my "holy grail" putter, I have messed with Odyssey BackStryke putters and if you look at my earlier posts in this thread, I still have my Yar and Cure RX2 putters. I've never had a center shaft blade like a SeeMore.

So to me, going center shafted is no big deal and if anything, I learnt that I really LIKE the experience of going center shafted in my Directed Force and Mezz.

Take a look at my pilot view of the Mezz below. The shaft is lined up exactly with the alignment line. To me, everything looks clean and symmetrical. There is forward press that is barely noticeable and the center of the shaft is back enough to provide aim:

1076401542_2021-12-3114_46_39.jpg.757ae05cee799e696c28747dcac3ef4f.jpg

Add in the stability of the Lie Angle Balance, you can control the putter with less grip pressure from backswing through impact. With my other centered non-LAB putters, I use grip pressure to control the face from twisting at impact

Hope this helps

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

7 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

1. Soft feeling - this is mainly sound.  Sound waves travel better and in a higher frequency through steel than they do through graphite.  Graphite spreads it out and vibration as well causing the sound to be more muted.  90% of people I tested when I owned my putter company interpreted sound as feel.  My MEZZ currently has the True Temper Black steel shaft in it.  I have a Stability sitting here beside me to install on the MEZZ just because, but want to give the standard shaft a thorough testing first.  LAB said this "could" mess up the balance and my putter may need to be re-balanced and gave me someone to contact if I do the swap.  I do not know that the BGT will make the putter feel like butter, but it will absolutely mute the sound of it, how much depends on how good your ears are.

2.  I played an Answer, Zing, and heel shafted putters for YEARS.  Literally as long as I have played golf.  I have never taken a center shafted putter onto the course until last Sunday.  Two things here.

A. Putt a lot at home somewhere.  If you have a mat that's the best.  This is to help you get used to the new look.  I am still not over it, but getting closer.  I bet I have hit 200 putts on my mat, and another 30ish on the golf course last weekend, it is different.  However for me it is not bad or good, just different.  If I see the ball go into the hole more often it will become better.

B. Remember that how you putt on your mat may be different than on the course.

I read so much of move the ball up or you will suffer pushes or pulls, just all kinds of things.  I was super un-comfortable the first few holes with the ball pushed up further in my stance.  We were on a frost delay so I didn't get the practice any putting before going out.  My lag putting was horrible and I stayed un-comfortable for 6 or 7 holes.  Then I went to my normal stance and lag putting was no longer a problem.  I was not pushing or pulling short putts in either stance which was mind boggling.  Imagine having a 6 footer for birdie and feeling like all of your muscles are twitching or just too tense.  Then you lighten the pressure with your thumbs and the ball rolls right where you aim it anyway.  Then imagine all your muscles are quiet and none are tense and making a 6 footer for par and both hitting the center of the cup, or that every putt you hit at 6 feet or under the entire round went in.  Shoot if not for a few bad reads I would have made a bunch more birdies.  This putter will not make me a better chipper, but will make me a better converter of chips.

Damn - thank you so much - this is exactly what I wanted to hear.  I am feeling the look will freak me out a bit, but feel like it is the right thing for me to try.  I do have a Putt Out mat, but also have an artificial green to putt.  I now wonder how easily I would be able to change back to a normal mallet putter.  What I typically do is only putt with the gamer a few days prior to a round to dial in feels.  Thanks for the info.  Leaning towards Accra shaft.

6 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

I wish LABSGolf had a "Try before you buy" program like Ben Hogan or Sub70 Golf. At least with this option, golfers who are not near a store or fitter that carries LAB, can "rent" & try the club to see if it will work for them.

My first LAB putter was bought sight unseen. Same goes for swapping out the stock steel shaft in my DF for the OG BGT Stability, probably the most expensive putter shaft I have bought in my golfing life...turns out to be the best investment to date also. There was no ACCRA or LA Golf back then.

My Mezz is the 1st time I have a different graphite putter shaft other than the OG Stability. One of the things I look for is accuracy at long range putting - my OG Stability is stellar in that regards. With the ACCRA, I've had no issues with accuracy and I get back a better soft feel versus a dead muted feel in the OG. For the stock swing-weight of the Mezz, it suits the shaft. I don't know if a heavier swing weight will effect the ACCRA, that's a question that LAB can perhaps answer...

As for center shafted putters, it was not new for me. In my search for my "holy grail" putter, I have messed with Odyssey BackStryke putters and if you look at my earlier posts in this thread, I still have my Yar and Cure RX2 putters. I've never had a center shaft blade like a SeeMore.

So to me, going center shafted is no big deal and if anything, I learnt that I really LIKE the experience of going center shafted in my Directed Force and Mezz.

Take a look at my pilot view of the Mezz below. The shaft is lined up exactly with the alignment line. To me, everything looks clean and symmetrical. There is forward press that is barely noticeable and the center of the shaft is back enough to provide aim:

1076401542_2021-12-3114_46_39.jpg.757ae05cee799e696c28747dcac3ef4f.jpg

Add in the stability of the Lie Angle Balance, you can control the putter with less grip pressure from backswing through impact. With my other centered non-LAB putters, I use grip pressure to control the face from twisting at impact

Hope this helps

Damn - this is another super helpful bit of information - thank yoU!  The picture is the best - LAB - you need a picture like that on your site.  That actually looks pretty normal and non-intimidating.  With your comment on the swing weight - you have me questioning my original thinking.  I like a heavier putter - but that is most likely driven to compensate for other issues to make me feel more confident. (and it works)

I know the stock swing weight is D7 and I was thinking about going for E0 just to put it up a bit.  Any more thoughts

I think I have everything now - except swing weight  - I will ask one more question on that before finalizing the order.

Thanks to all - this is an awesome thread and GolfWRX is the place for those that ain't right 🙂  We played tonight here in Cincinnati - we were the only players on the course all day (about 30º and windy).  The proshop guy was leaving and rolled down his window to tell us we were crazy 🙂 We laughed because we knew he was right...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

I have never gotten the whole putter shaft thing…. Not sure why it matters for a club thats moving like 3 mph

So I just threw on the Press 1.L grip and all I can say is WOW. Really like how this feels. I can feel the head a lot more during my stroke and a good tempo seems to come easily. Other thing I’ve noticed is that I’m finding the sweet spot of the putter more often. Something about the flatter front really suits me. If they made this grip in a 1.5 degree I think it would be a perfect option for the Mezz. Definitely a worthwhile “Mezz Upgrade” if you find yourself wanting to try something different!

DA1E9EF9-686A-47CE-8C1C-11E1050621B9.jpeg

122387B7-0124-4643-8203-2AF1D250D877.jpeg

• Like 2

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

9 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I am in the exact same locale.  I wanted to wait and try the MEZZ in store but couldn't wait.  I prefer the Kennesaw store to the Roswell one, and rarely frequent it anymore since I've been working from home for almost two years now.

I will say this the MEZZ is almost as forgiving as the DF in a package that looks to be about the size of a Odyssey fang.  I have only played it once due to the crappt weather we've been having here in Atlanta.  Course already announced closed on Saturday, but playing on Sunday to give it the second go round on the course.

Thanks!  Really excited to see one of these in the flesh, hopefully soon.  

P.S. Will be great once the new fitting studio is complete at Kennesaw. The one at the Roswell store is 🔥 

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

14 hours ago, xandersingh said:

So I just threw on the Press 1.L grip and all I can say is WOW. Really like how this feels. I can feel the head a lot more during my stroke and a good tempo seems to come easily. Other thing I’ve noticed is that I’m finding the sweet spot of the putter more often. Something about the flatter front really suits me. If they made this grip in a 1.5 degree I think it would be a perfect option for the Mezz. Definitely a worthwhile “Mezz Upgrade” if you find yourself wanting to try something different!

DA1E9EF9-686A-47CE-8C1C-11E1050621B9.jpeg

122387B7-0124-4643-8203-2AF1D250D877.jpeg

Is the swing weight still E0 with the Press 1L grip? It's quite a jump from 59gm in the PressII 1.5L to 75gm Press1L

Also, care to lay your putter with the face flat on the floor& take a face front picture so we can see the relationship of the face and how the putter handle sits on a flat floor?

TIA

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

I finally got my order finalized  - I have to say that L.A.B. was awesome to deal with.  I feel pretty confident my fit is in the right ball park.  Now to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery.

The D7 standard swing weight is for a 33" putter.  Mine is 34" and they told me the target SW is E2, so right up my alley for SW.

I also order another Press II 1.5 grip for my PXG BlackBird putter.  After my Quintic putter fitting, I was told to hold the shaft more forward to get the tail of the putter off the ground and deliver the correct loft.  I am hoping the Press grip will make the correct hand position more natural.

• Like 1

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting automatic from 8 feet on the Perfect Practice putting mat.  🤣   The way the grip is designed really keeps my hands where they need to be at impact so it keeps the loft down.  I tend to add loft at impact with my other putters.  So imagine the standard 4* & I add it to about 6* ... bouncing all the way!  HA!  I don't see the ball bouncing too much & it has a smooth, end over end, roll.  Grant it, it's on a mat & will have a different reaction guaranteed once on the course.  But I'm definitely enjoying grooving the stroke.

It sucks .... it's snowing again here!  I'm sick of winter 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HackinNut said:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting automatic from 8 feet on the Perfect Practice putting mat.  🤣   The way the grip is designed really keeps my hands where they need to be at impact so it keeps the loft down.  I tend to add loft at impact with my other putters.  So imagine the standard 4* & I add it to about 6* ... bouncing all the way!  HA!  I don't see the ball bouncing too much & it has a smooth, end over end, roll.  Grant it, it's on a mat & will have a different reaction guaranteed once on the course.  But I'm definitely enjoying grooving the stroke.

😍winter, that's how I get to ride the beautiful Mammoth Mountain and trash my body till I can't golf - see, that's my excuse for crappy golf game in winter. Time to get serious is when summer is here and it cooking 🔥 115+ here in Los Angeles...

Sounds like you are atuning to it. I have not touched my DF since the review started, think it will mess with my Mezz synergy. I do miss my Delilah DF Bedford Flag putter cover on my bag, the black LAB doesn't quite cut it as far a style goes...😉

On 1/27/2022 at 9:38 AM, ajlacombe said:
16 minutes ago, HackinNut said:

You could even take it further and try a press 3° if you really struggle with adding loft

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, labgolf said:

You could even take it further and try a press 3° if you really struggle with adding loft

Would I have to send the putter back to you?  Won't that affect the swing weight & balance? 

Wanted to clear some things up about swing weight: For starters, swing weight is a somewhat arbitrary measurement. Its effectively a balance point and was introduced as a way to quantify how heavy a head "feels". There are some major flaws with the swingweight metric but the most notable gap is that it measures said balance point in a static position, not while in motion. Don't get me wrong, swingweighting is really helpful in a  lot of ways but for us, its been a journey understanding why conventional swingweight wisdom doesn't apply properly to our putters. The most important thing to know is that the brain registers torque as weight. The force of the twisting and such makes the putter FEEL heavier than it actually is. Conversely, with our putters, the absence of torque makes the putter feel lighter than it is relative to other putters. And depending on the size of the footprint and MOI, this can even change from putter to putter. The DF has different targets than the Mezz.1 and the B.2. For the MEZZ.1, our target SW at 33" is D7, 34" is E2, 35" E7, and 36" F5. our tolerance is 2 points in either direction because the balancing process makes this a bit of a moving target. This is a full 10 points higher than most off the rack putters but again, this is to make them "feel" like other putters. It is of course subjective but through our R&D, this is what we feel is optimal. This summer, we will be offering the opportunity to choose light, medium or heavy when ordering your putter. We also currently offer the option to have your putter sent back to add or remove weight and to have it re-balanced. Reach out to customer service and they can take you through how that works. Hope that clears up a few things!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

Is the swing weight still E0 with the Press 1L grip? It's quite a jump from 59gm in the PressII 1.5L to 75gm Press1L

Also, care to lay your putter with the face flat on the floor& take a face front picture so we can see the relationship of the face and how the putter handle sits on a flat floor?

TIA

No idea about the swing weight. I’m not too sensitive it it. If it feels good it feels good!

D3801A40-185C-45E7-8E61-1924F195D758.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

Longest putt this year, drill mezzed a 51 footer for a bird. Perfect speed downhill, perfect read of the break. Shocked everyone 😁

The only highlight of our foursome in a somewhat scrambling sort of day for our group.

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

I played about the fastest 9 holes of my life today.  Got to the course early as the first game had just started.  Was going to warm up, stretch, brought 2 drivers with different shafts to test and went to check in.  It was a person I know and I just happened to ask if he could get me out early as I had a 12:30 tee time but was there at 11:20.  He said if I wanted I could get out now but would need to get to the tee quickly as there was a slow foursome teeing off.  

got the cart, put everything in and tried to tie my shoes while driving the cart.  Too late- 4 some teed off.  So I waited a bit and then hit.  Anyway got to the green and didn’t really line anything up and just went with my first initial instinct and putted.  Misread but not bad.  5 feet left, got over it and didn’t think about it- bottom of the hole.

next hole they just teed off and then I see them stop 20 yards ahead and start searching for balls.  I’m now panicking thinking I’ve got this all day.  I just ask if I could play through.  They said ok and man now I was nervous.  Have to hit a good one and piped one down about 280 dead straight.  Wedge up and again didn’t think about a read or lining it up and just putted.  

did that the entire first 9 holes.  1hr 15mins.  Back 9 it slowed to a crawl as I caught everyone and it took over 2 hrs but I still played fast and I just went with my instincts.  Didn’t 3 putt all day and finished level par.  Now it’s a course I play all the time and I played short at 6,200 but it was fun, enjoyable and no stress.  Grab a club, hit it and on the green, wipe off the grass, fix the divot and get over the ball and let the putter do the work.  

I need to play loose like that more often and not grind as much.  Didn’t make any long putts but also didn’t grind over 5 and 6 footers and they were pretty much automatic today.  Really enjoying the Mezz.  I was picking the line and the Mezz just is so easy to match it up to the line I pick.  That’s half the battle to get your putter head square to the line you see.  See the line and let it rip. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Talking about swingweight, I sold my B.2 because it felt so incredibly head heavy.  I tried a Mezz in the store and it felt fairly head heavy, although not as much as the B.2.  My DF feels incredible, just perfect balance.  I'm coming from an Edel which was fit with quite a lot of counterbalancing (heavy grip, plus 2 weights inside the grip) and I think what works for me is a feeling of the whole putter moving as a unit rather than a heavy head swinging.  I don't like the feeling of the head lagging behind the grip on the way back and through.  Great to hear LAB will be doing custom weights going forward!  If it costs the same that would just be added value.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

8 minutes ago, Tupperwolf said:

Talking about swingweight, I sold my B.2 because it felt so incredibly head heavy.  I tried a Mezz in the store and it felt fairly head heavy, although not as much as the B.2.  My DF feels incredible, just perfect balance.  I'm coming from an Edel which was fit with quite a lot of counterbalancing (heavy grip, plus 2 weights inside the grip) and I think what works for me is a feeling of the whole putter moving as a unit rather than a heavy head swinging.  I don't like the feeling of the head lagging behind the grip on the way back and through.  Great to hear LAB will be doing custom weights going forward!  If it costs the same that would just be added value.

So... how heavy of a putter do you like - total and swing weights?  I understand on the head feels, because at least for me, I have never really felt any head lag with all the putters I have ever used - but those all had steel shafts and a few with Strokelab shafts.  Also what shafts did those putters have.  I am curious as to what your setups were.  Thanks

Here's a photo of my Mezz.1 with the Press II 1.5 grip:

896373507_2022-01-2910_16_59.jpg.869f39828542884f662918042bb8b4b9.jpg

The grip is almost perfectly inline with the face.

This is the stock Press II 1.5 grip:

Front:

420257613_2022-01-2910_15_15.jpg.b8f8e2b029bbee953ac4a6e4abd25aa7.jpg

Right side:

391259957_2022-01-2910_15_09.jpg.80aeae4b2551e9758f8ddf4d9ed830fb.jpg

Left side:

1022070433_2022-01-2910_15_23.jpg.8e0005af843bd858cafe9dd9e1dce835.jpg

Physically, the grip feels great, not overly hard or too soft.

However, I think the presentation can be better. The suggestion I have here is to tone down the right side fonts, seems overtly "loud". Even when you look straight down, you can see the font infringe over to the top view.

I am going to black sharpie the font and see if this keep the visual quieter...