MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! See What Members Are Saying!

GolfWRX_Official

I took the new Augusta out to the green and compared all three of the putters pictured.  Sam Hahn said they think they have the sound issue figured out on Brian Knutson's podcast, and indeed this putter does not ring - it has a dull knock sound that is very different than the other DF pictured and that black one is a month or so old so it is new production.

I like the 3 sightlines way better than the single line.  The white shaft tip section looks really good with the green shaft too.

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

That’s the same sight line I have on my 2.1.  Love it.  I do wish the Mezz came with it but what they have still works very well. 

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 5/1/2022 at 12:36 PM, ajlacombe said:

Right now I am rotating the MEZZ and DF - I am getting super frustrated, but know I need to give it more time.  What is happening to me is that I am rolling the ball within 1" left or right, lipping, leaving it just short and curling the ball around the hole and having it finish on the back side on or beyond my line.  I made 2 putts today and missed 6 birdie putts that were right there - we are talking inside 10'.

If I could ever have a day where I make some putts it would be cool - right now I am deadly accurate for just missing and it sucks.  I have the Accra shaft in the MEZZ and love that feel, and I have BGT Tour in the DF. Different but similar feels.  The journey continues 🙂 

What's your holing speed like for those makeable range putts? I like to hit them pretty hard so that I can get better feedback on and get clearer on the "how did that miss!?!" type putts. In general, do you feel they are starting where you are looking?

9 minutes ago, labgolf said:

What's your holing speed like for those makeable range putts? I like to hit them pretty hard so that I can get better feedback on and get clearer on the "how did that miss!?!" type putts. In general, do you feel they are starting where you are looking?

I tend to run them by a couple feet.  However I’ve been playing much faster greens lately and when I’m making a 2 inch putting stroke it’s hard to make it a solid feel.  Not joking when I say 2 inch putt and it’s still going 10-15 feet.  Played in a tournament yesterday with my buddies.  We had one where I don’t know how the ball stayed up on the slope.  We had a hard time even getting the ball to stay (scramble) so we could line it up as the ball started rolling down the hill.  So I’ve learned to put it out on the toe for those types of speeds/breaks/downhillers.  Works great as I holed some extremely fast putts and made a couple 30 footers yesterday.  We didn’t win but again it’s a 4 man scramble and there was no way the team that won beat us by 8 strokes (we shot 15 under) as the course is very difficult with very fast greens and lots of movement.  We know we played well and we’re happy as that’s all we were concerned about.  Scramble tourneys and how people score is a different subject but the guys on my team said they’ve never seen me putt better.  So I’m very pleased with the Mezz.  I tell everyone it’s the best putter I’ve ever owned (along with the 2.1) but most people think the 2.1 is just too large and strange looking.  The Mezz falls in that category of different looking but not too crazy and a shape players are sort of familiar with.  Best of both worlds is what I tell them. 

• Like 1

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

11 hours ago, labgolf said:

@labgolf Oh man - this is going to be tainted by my perception 🙂  I have always been a dead weight putter (die them in the hole).  On shorter putts I give them more speed so the green imperfections do not screw me.  Yes I feel like the start line is correct, but I have a feeling that my aim is still polluted by all the years with he torque putters.

I hit my green tonight with the August DF 2.1 and I stopped thinking and canned a bunch. I will try to decouple the conscious brain from my putting and just let it go tomorrow and see what happens.

I have posted many times in this thread.  I have discovered things about practice setup and other items and passed them on.  According to Arccos against a scratch golfer

1. 0-10 - +0.7

2. 10-25 - -0.5

3. 25-50 - +0.1

4. 50+ - +0.2

With the MEZZ #1 went up by 0.7.  3 went up .02 and 4 went up .03.  My 10-25 went down by almost a full stroke.  So My putting is only overall marginally improved strokes gained wise.  So my up and down percentage has definitely gone up.  The problem is I tend to be a pretty good iron player and have a lot of birdie putts in the 12-25 foot range.  I sort of assumed after figuring out the short putting first and then the lag putting that the 10-25 would just come right along.  Well it hasn't and it is frustrating the hell out of me.  My birdies per round is dropping, and while my handicap is dropping overall due to better short putting, missing those birdies is really becoming a problem.

Anyone else have this issue?  

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

4 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I have posted many times in this thread.  I have discovered things about practice setup and other items and passed them on.  According to Arccos against a scratch golfer

1. 0-10 - +0.7

2. 10-25 - -0.5

3. 25-50 - +0.1

4. 50+ - +0.2

With the MEZZ #1 went up by 0.7.  3 went up .02 and 4 went up .03.  My 10-25 went down by almost a full stroke.  So My putting is only overall marginally improved strokes gained wise.  So my up and down percentage has definitely gone up.  The problem is I tend to be a pretty good iron player and have a lot of birdie putts in the 12-25 foot range.  I sort of assumed after figuring out the short putting first and then the lag putting that the 10-25 would just come right along.  Well it hasn't and it is frustrating the hell out of me.  My birdies per round is dropping, and while my handicap is dropping overall due to better short putting, missing those birdies is really becoming a problem.

This is EXACTLY what has happened to me.  Today was classic this - I only missed one short one but I had 4 good 10-15 foot birdie putts that I did not make.  Now the Labgolf suggestion to hit the putts harder helped.  I seem to be not giving them enough steam and it is putting a lot of pressure on my reads.  I am all over the hole but not dropping anything, and when you do not make bogies, all of the bogies and worse kill your score.  Actually I had 9 putts in the 10-15 range and I made 1 of them

29 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

This is EXACTLY what has happened to me.  Today was classic this - I only missed one short one but I had 4 good 10-15 foot birdie putts that I did not make.  Now the Labgolf suggestion to hit the putts harder helped.  I seem to be not giving them enough steam and it is putting a lot of pressure on my reads.  I am all over the hole but not dropping anything, and when you do not make bogies, all of the bogies and worse kill your score.  Actually I had 9 putts in the 10-15 range and I made 1 of them

Good way to test if you have time or maybe get a later tee time is to bring both. Hit both on birdie putts if you can and see if it makes a difference.  Even with a read 15 footers are not that easy to make. 

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Any thoughts how the Mezz might work as a side saddle putter?  I can't find the specs on their website so not sure how heavy the head is.  Also I see you can order it at a 79.5 lie, so thats pretty close to my Bobby Grace, anyone with the putter in hand, how would it set if you're trying to hold it fairly vertical?  From just glancing at the pictures it looks like the sole is very flat, so I assume trying to hold it 90* we'd have the heel off the ground.  I know thats my big pro on the BG is that the F22, while only 80* lie, the tri sole allows you to essentially play it at a straight up 90*.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I putted with my Mezz and DF 2.1 all Winter on my Perfect Putting mat and have had them on the course a few times.  It has been a love/hate relationship. I think the honeymoon is over and I am going to let them both go.   I sold the DF a month ago.  I loved the stability and made a lot of putts with it.   I also think the LAB tech concept has  improved my stroke.  However, I could not get over the size.  I like the Mezz size and at times make a ton of putts with it.   I am just too inconsistent with it.  Too many push/pulls with it despite being able to have a consistent setup using the mat.   I also tried left hand low and claw/saw grips to quiet the wrists more.   It is definately operator error, because, I can hook up my TPM to it and feel like I can't miss.  Anyway, I am sure I will have regrets, but, 34"/69* Mezz heading to the BST soon. 

On 5/8/2022 at 8:56 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

1. 0-10 - +0.7

2. 10-25 - -0.5

3. 25-50 - +0.1

4. 50+ - +0.2

I think I'm the opposite. 3 months in and my lag putting and mid range have never been better, but I have no confidence under 10 feet. I really can't pinpoint it but I don't even like tap ins right now, which has never happened to me. It's gotten a lot better since I went back to lining up the ball sightline to my read but it just feels like my speed control at that range is trash.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

9 hours ago, Sankacoffee said:

I think I'm the opposite. 3 months in and my lag putting and mid range have never been better, but I have no confidence under 10 feet. I really can't pinpoint it but I don't even like tap ins right now, which has never happened to me. It's gotten a lot better since I went back to lining up the ball sightline to my read but it just feels like my speed control at that range is trash.

This is more me.  I think the issue on the shorter putts is the lack of torque.  I used to be able to let the putter's torque help provide the hit the shorter the putt distance, and now that is gone.  When @labgolf told me to hit it harder, that has seemed to help.  When I am using the DF at short range hitting the putt harder seems like using a canon on a fly, but the alternate is yielding doubt and instability that is not a recipe for success.

When I was a kid playing golf, I banged my putts like Rickie Fowler, then as the thinking brain came in, you have the dreaded "what ifs" come into play.  The answer to the what if question is simple - who cares if you miss this putt - everyone does.  If you care you are not making it either. Also if you bang the putt, the imperfections near the hole are smoothed out with more pace.  My current thought to do this is to try and hit the side of the ball nearer the hole to get me to stay on the gas a bit longer to add the pace I need.

• Like 1

Those of you missing shorter putts, have you tried the "Thumbs Off Drill" video to help utilize the technology?  

It has helped me realize to let the putter square itself, so I don't manipulate the face.  I'm still loving the MEZZ!  

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

20 minutes ago, HackinNut said:

Those of you missing shorter putts, have you tried the "Thumbs Off Drill" video to help utilize the technology?  

It has helped me realize to let the putter square itself, so I don't manipulate the face.  I'm still loving the MEZZ!  

Thanks I will try that. 10 feet and under was my strength with a blade, but lag was struggling. I've obviously flipped that with a LAB and I think this drill plus hitting it harder is a good start at least.

• Like 1

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

1 hour ago, cyr67 said:

Also, I've not seen these putters live. I'd appreciate if anyone could post a pic of a Mezz 1 together with a Spider, #7, or a Scotty 5/5.5...just trying to figure out the size.

I have a Spider & Odyssey that are about the same size as the MEZZ.  I will see if I can get pics when I get home tonight 

Putter comparison photo: left column, DF 2.1, MEZZ, EXO, Spider.  Right, Scotty Fastback, Phantom X 8.5,  Futura X 5.

The MEZZ is not a big putter

IMG_5295.HEIC

• Like 2

I know some people had talked about sending their putter back for additional weight to be added.  Did anyone actually do that and give an update on the experience?  How much did it cost, what was the turnaround time, etc?  Had my first chance to finally use the putter on the course the other day and people were very intrigued by it.  The main thing everyone said was how light it felt.  The greens were quite a bit slower than normal and I did have some issues getting the ball to the hole which got my questioning if I should be sending it in for some additional weight.  My home club generally has pretty fast greens but I do play a fair number of other courses and generally those have slower than average greens.  In a perfect world I would probably have two Mezz putters one heavy and one lighter and use them for different green speeds but not sure that idea is in the budget. 

1 hour ago, LODGE1519 said:

I know some people had talked about sending their putter back for additional weight to be added.  Did anyone actually do that and give an update on the experience?  How much did it cost, what was the turnaround time, etc?  Had my first chance to finally use the putter on the course the other day and people were very intrigued by it.  The main thing everyone said was how light it felt.  The greens were quite a bit slower than normal and I did have some issues getting the ball to the hole which got my questioning if I should be sending it in for some additional weight.  My home club generally has pretty fast greens but I do play a fair number of other courses and generally those have slower than average greens.  In a perfect world I would probably have two Mezz putters one heavy and one lighter and use them for different green speeds but not sure that idea is in the budget. 

The "weight" you are talking about is torque from your old putter(s).  That off balanced mass is perceived as weight, when it is not.  I would give it some time.  Your brain wants to feel that torque which is now gone.  You do not need it.

Video

I would also recommend the thumbs drill referenced above - that is amazing - take your thumbs off and highly reduce your ability to manipulate the putter face and amazingly the putter becomes point and shoot.  I just did it and was shocked.  I am wondering about changing my grip yet again since I am too stupid to not use the thumbs 🙂 

L.A.B. Golf needs a meme with Yoda - "You don't need the Torque..."

Edited by ajlacombe
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The videos that L.A.B. Golf just released on the thumbs drill and ball position are must views (over and over). I implemented both with many hours of putting practice - then headed out for 9 tonight.  During the round I was messing with the grip - making modifications.  I like to have a feeling of being in control of the grip - even though I am shooting for a loose grip pressure.  I got it figured out and the funning thing was I was holing putts with all the in-round modifications to my grip.  Made 2 birdies and another nice putt.

Then I got home and did more putting practice.  The bottom line for me is get the damned thumbs off of the top side of the grip AND reduce the grip pressure  - use the minimum amount of pressure on the grip that you need to feel in control/comfortable.  Playing nine more tomorrow night and 18 on Sunday - I am committed to figuring this out.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 8:07 AM, ajlacombe said:

This is more me.  I think the issue on the shorter putts is the lack of torque.  I used to be able to let the putter's torque help provide the hit the shorter the putt distance, and now that is gone.  When @labgolf told me to hit it harder, that has seemed to help.  When I am using the DF at short range hitting the putt harder seems like using a canon on a fly, but the alternate is yielding doubt and instability that is not a recipe for success.

When I was a kid playing golf, I banged my putts like Rickie Fowler, then as the thinking brain came in, you have the dreaded "what ifs" come into play.  The answer to the what if question is simple - who cares if you miss this putt - everyone does.  If you care you are not making it either. Also if you bang the putt, the imperfections near the hole are smoothed out with more pace.  My current thought to do this is to try and hit the side of the ball nearer the hole to get me to stay on the gas a bit longer to add the pace I need.

I second this. I have changed my mindset and the close putts are now dropping. I think the size of the DF causes tentativeness with short putts. 

I've finally been able to get out and play a few rounds with my Armlock Mezz. I also had the DF 2.1 and while the armlock on both is great, the smaller profile of the Mezz has afforded me the chance to have success (at home on my putting mat and on the course) with a split grip that is working wonders. I have issues from time to time with a true armlock grip of ever so slightly pushing or pulling putts within 5 feet which is on me, but kills my score obviously. Split grip as an alternative really simplifies things for me.

The way my eye sits allows me to focus everything on the takeaway with my left hand (I'm a lefty) and it's so true at impact that I managed to one-putt 8 holes (within 10 feet each) and lag putt to tap-in 3-4 times. I did have one lip out too, but couldn't be happier. I thought it might just be a one day, try something new luck, but I was able to have really similar results playing just 9 holes with my son the next time out.

Might be worth a shot for anyone struggling. Plus Sam said in his "no thumbs" video that players do use the split grip. I don't personally see it being used by others, but if it works I'm going to continue with it. 

I have always bounced back and forth between a traditional grip and left hand low with other putters in the past with the feeling that I was better at certain types of putts one way and others the other way.  The thumbs off drill really opened my eyes because when I tried that drill with a traditional reverse overlap grip it felt like I had never even touched a golf club before in my life, it was so uncomfortable and results were terrible.  When I switched to a left hand low grip and tried this it felt completely natural and my stroke barely changed at all.  This has got me convinced that for this putter with this technology left hand low is definitely the correct grip for me.  If you are struggling with consistency with the Mezz I would definitely recommend this drill and keep changing grips till you find one that feels comfortable with your thumbs off.  Thanks @HackinNut for posting that video!

• Like 3

Man .... I did find out that it doesn't matter what putter you use on badly aerated greens with holes everywhere.  Even the MEZZ couldn't make a putt yesterday.  30 putts 😂

• Like 1

Mezz user here.  Found a DF 2.1 for cheap w/ my fitted lie angle. Be a great back up.  Had to send in to get re-shafted to my correct fitted length.  LAB GOLF received on Monday of this week.  Just received UPS notification of a Friday delivery.  One day in house turn around time.  $100 cost w/ steel shaft and press 3.0 grip.  Talk about customer service!  Top notch!   

• Like 2

WITB:

TaylorMade M6 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Red 6 stiff
TaylorMade SIM Rocket
TaylorMade SIM 5 wood
TaylorMade 2019 P790 4-P  KBS Tour 120 stiff SS1X
TaylorMade MG2 48* KBS Tour 120 stiff-MG2 54* and 58* KBS Hi-REV 2.0
PXG Gen2 Operator 38 inches
PING Heppler ZB3