MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! See What Members Are Saying!

GolfWRX_Official

4 hours ago, LODGE1519 said:

Does anyone know if the new smooth grips on the website are actually as they are pictured, half white and half black?  I love the textured 1.5 that I have on my Mezz but it doesn't appear that those are available anymore.

I have the smooth half white/black; my Mezz came with it from my order in February.  It looks just like the picture on the LAB website.    

Driver:  Callaway Epic 9° Fujikura Speeder 665 X

Hybrid:  Callaway Alpha 815  17° Fujikura Speeder 865 X

Hybrid:  Titleist 910H 22° Diamana Ahina 90 S

Irons:  MP 223 4-PW DG 120 X100

Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 50° 54° 58°

Putter:  LAB Mezz.1 Accra white 35" 67°

Ball:  Prov1

4 hours ago, LODGE1519 said:

Does anyone know if the new smooth grips on the website are actually as they are pictured, half white and half black?  I love the textured 1.5 that I have on my Mezz but it doesn't appear that those are available anymore.

Yep, smooth are half black and half white. I'd offer to mail you mine as soon as the textured comes back in stock and I can replace it, but who knows when it will be back, even LAB say they have no estimate. Can't stand the feel of it, sticky in an unpleasant pleather sort of way. 

I sent my Mezz back to Eugene, Oregon to have it properly Lie Angle calibrated to E4 swing weight.  The original putter was D9.

Prior to this, I used lead tape underneath for about 3 weeks to make sure it was the right feel in my hands. I went lighter and I went heavier and E4 seems to be the sweet spot. It felt so much better.

A few pages back from this post, I said I was going back to my Directed Force. In thinking about the move, I think it was partly due to shorter putts and the inconsistent control of the head...let me clear it up -  Mezz is great overall putter but it was kinda twitchy as I could not feel the head on shorter putts.

To me, these putts were automatic in my Directed Force. I suspect it was a much heavier putter, F1 swing weight. I have been putting LAB since 2017.

Anyway....

I want the Mezz to work so I tried the lead tape. Using double density, I layered it up, putt and layer it up, putt and so forth. I went super heavy (to me) up to end of E. But the sweet spot is E4 and not less. As a side note, my spec is 34" and 69* lie angle.

Anyway, Jake@LAB is working on it & I am looking forward to getting it back...hopefully without a sound change as mine was definitely not ting sounding.

Interesting to note that the LABGolf website now offers 3 weight settings for the Mezz.1 and Mezz.Max heads: Standard, Heavy and Light in their custom configuration.

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

3 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

I sent my Mezz back to Eugene, Oregon to have it properly Lie Angle calibrated to E4 swing weight.  The original putter was D9.

Prior to this, I used lead tape underneath for about 3 weeks to make sure it was the right feel in my hands. I went lighter and I went heavier and E4 seems to be the sweet spot. It felt so much better.

A few pages back from this post, I said I was going back to my Directed Force. In thinking about the move, I think it was partly due to shorter putts and the inconsistent control of the head...let me clear it up -  Mezz is great overall putter but it was kinda twitchy as I could not feel the head on shorter putts.

To me, these putts were automatic in my Directed Force. I suspect it was a much heavier putter, F1 swing weight. I have been putting LAB since 2017.

Anyway....

I want the Mezz to work so I tried the lead tape. Using double density, I layered it up, putt and layer it up, putt and so forth. I went super heavy (to me) up to end of E. But the sweet spot is E4 and not less. As a side note, my spec is 34" and 69* lie angle.

Anyway, Jake@LAB is working on it & I am looking forward to getting it back...hopefully without a sound change as mine was definitely not ting sounding.

Interesting to note that the LABGolf website now offers 3 weight settings for the Mezz.1 and Mezz.Max heads: Standard, Heavy and Light in their custom configuration.

Good luck.  I hope it works out for you and it’s as automatic as the DF 2.1.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

46 minutes ago, My2Dogs said:

Good luck.  I hope it works out for you and it’s as automatic as the DF 2.1.

Thanks. I liked it a lot while testing that's why I sat on this for a while to make sure it was right.

Mind you, while Mezz is in the shop, the DF is giving me a lot of love... definitely, definitely spoilt by LAB.

After this, I think I will need to get with Delilah and have her make me a custom headcover for Mezz. She did a seriously great job for my Directed Force headcover reproducing the 1775 Bedford Flag, the oldest known flag of this great country.

I think I will follow in a similar theme...found a possible companion Revolutionary flag

How's your putting doing with Mezz @My2Dogs?

606834749_s2021-01-1917_06_49.jpg.69da51f9e5262c89efdffcdc18525b49.jpgsCombined2.jpg.e8d742024020beaf4ef5f408efde92c6.jpg

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 2

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

1 hour ago, SwingBlues said:

Thanks. I liked it a lot while testing that's why I sat on this for a while to make sure it was right.

Mind you, while Mezz is in the shop, the DF is giving me a lot of love... definitely, definitely spoilt by LAB.

After this, I think I will need to get with Delilah and have her make me a custom headcover for Mezz. She did a seriously great job for my Directed Force headcover reproducing the 1775 Bedford Flag, the oldest known flag of this great country.

I think I will follow in a similar theme...found a possible companion Revolutionary flag

606834749_s2021-01-1917_06_49.jpg.69da51f9e5262c89efdffcdc18525b49.jpgsCombined2.jpg.e8d742024020beaf4ef5f408efde92c6.jpg

I’m afraid to go back to the 2.1 as I might then have the thoughts of cheating all the time.  😂

The Mezz is actually doing very well for me.  It performs a lot better on faster greens than slower and I think it’s the weight as you stated.  Also still have some issues on multi tiered greens but only when I’m hitting from below on the lower tier.  When I’m above it’s great (again speed) but when below I sometimes either come up short or blow past.  I might want to look at adding some weight as well.

love that putter cover you have.  Awesome.   Where did you get that as trying to find anything to fit the 2.1 is impossible. 

Edited by My2Dogs

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

7 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

What an awesome putter - so...  how did you get that made?

Funny you were talking about twitchy with the MEZZ - that is why I have gone back to the DF 2.1.  Not being able to "feel" the MEZZ enough to settle my squirrel brain on the short ones.  I am actually contemplating going back to a torque putter just to recalibrate what it is that I am missing in my feel on the short ones.  I am sure it is the torque.

Right now I am deadly with the DF 2.1, especially if the goal was to drop your ball in a 1 foot circle around the hole but not make any 🙂 

Anxious to hear how the reweighted MEZZ does when you get it back

• Like 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

9 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

I’m afraid to go back to the 2.1 as I might then have the thoughts of cheating all the time.  😂

The Mezz is actually doing very well for me.  It performs a lot better on faster greens than slower and I think it’s the weight as you stated.  Also still have some issues on multi tiered greens but only when I’m hitting from below on the lower tier.  When I’m above it’s great (again speed) but when below I sometimes either come up short or blow past.  I might want to look at adding some weight as well.

love that putter cover you have.  Awesome.   Where did you get that as trying to find anything to fit the 2.1 is impossible. 

Thanks. Yeah, no one aside from LABGolf are making any head covers that fit the DF, thats fact. I've searched aliexpress, fleabay, amazon etc. So I had to get it custom but it's like 2x $ a headcover that LABGolf sells but that's OK. To me, it's customized for my exactly how I want it.

As for uphill putts....I have a theory on this why the DF may have an edge - it has mass behind the sweet spot, Mezz does not. When you have mass, it gives you the slight edge on the putts when your brain figures out you need a little more oompfh for this putt going up hill. We are not a robot, your brain is constant adjusting in the swing, for example to make sure we square the face (and if it doesn't it makes the body take action) and put enough for on it.

Hence, I am really trying to see what my brain is doing by checking the tempo on my T9 GPS watch (got a review of that in the GPS subsection). It's really cool and I find and learn what's happening on the back and through stroke by the timing.

And may be it's just me, but I often putt toe and heel side because I want to take OFF the mass on downhillers especially ones that curl.

Anyway, it's my theory but hey that's how I putt and keep my cap low.

3 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

What an awesome putter - so...  how did you get that made?

Funny you were talking about twitchy with the MEZZ - that is why I have gone back to the DF 2.1.  Not being able to "feel" the MEZZ enough to settle my squirrel brain on the short ones.  I am actually contemplating going back to a torque putter just to recalibrate what it is that I am missing in my feel on the short ones.  I am sure it is the torque.

Right now I am deadly with the DF 2.1, especially if the goal was to drop your ball in a 1 foot circle around the hole but not make any 🙂 

Anxious to hear how the reweighted MEZZ does when you get it back

Sounds like you are going through exactly when I went through.... I think untorqueing is a great move. Sam recommends that as well, plus its fun to now and then play the other putters in the bag.  You are like me, back & forth. Thank goodness I don't have a Mezz Max, I may end up the mental asylum trying to manage 3 LAB putters. Ooooooofffh...

So guys, check this website out, this is Delilah's custom head covers:  https://girlygolfer.com/gallery/mallet-putter/

As to what it cost, back then it was around $130 but you really get a great product and customization. The material used is top notch, it really pops. The stitching detail is fantastic especially the silver arm. The arms are held in place by magnetics.

The CON is that it will take 6 weeks. She's super, super, super busy and she works with you from your idea to the design and the proof. Let me know, I can PM you the sizing templates of the DF cover that I measured.

Check out the mallets, she really does fantastic work

Edited by SwingBlues

37 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

Thanks. Yeah, no one aside from LABGolf are making any head covers that fit the DF, thats fact. I've searched aliexpress, fleabay, amazon etc. So I had to get it custom but it's like 2x $ a headcover that LABGolf sells but that's OK. To me, it's customized for my exactly how I want it.

As for uphill putts....I have a theory on this why the DF may have an edge - it has mass behind the sweet spot, Mezz does not. When you have mass, it gives you the slight edge on the putts when your brain figures out you need a little more oompfh for this putt going up hill. We are not a robot, your brain is constant adjusting in the swing, for example to make sure we square the face (and if it doesn't it makes the body take action) and put enough for on it.

Hence, I am really trying to see what my brain is doing by checking the tempo on my T9 GPS watch (got a review of that in the GPS subsection). It's really cool and I find and learn what's happening on the back and through stroke by the timing.

And may be it's just me, but I often putt toe and heel side because I want to take OFF the mass on downhillers especially ones that curl.

Anyway, it's my theory but hey that's how I putt and keep my cap low.

Sounds like you are going through exactly when I went through.... I think untorqueing is a great move. Sam recommends that as well, plus its fun to now and then play the other putters in the bag.  You are like me, back & forth. Thank goodness I don't have a Mezz Max, I may end up the mental asylum trying to manage 3 LAB putters. Ooooooofffh...

So guys, check this website out, this is Delilah's custom head covers:  https://girlygolfer.com/gallery/mallet-putter/

As to what it cost, back then it was around $130 but you really get a great product and customization. The material used is top notch, it really pops. The stitching detail is fantastic especially the silver arm. The arms are held in place by magnetics.

The CON is that it will take 6 weeks. She's super, super, super busy and she works with you from your idea to the design and the proof. Let me know, I can PM you the sizing templates of the DF cover that I measured.

Check out the mallets, she really does fantastic work

The thing about my putting is that I am so close, but have not had a great round putting with either the MEZZ or DF.  I move around from time to time with my DFs due to weighting and alignment differences and the MEZZ.  I will go back to a torque putter in a practice round so I can play around.  In practice I hole putts with the LAB putters, but during round I seems to just miss.

The biggest thing I miss with my LAB putters is being able to take a short stroke and let the weight of the putter make the stroke. Since there is no torque, it seems like I can not do that.  Right now that is probably my biggest issue.  At some points my putts that are just left, right and short, have to start falling 🙂 

Thanks for the cover link. A while back I had some customer stuff made through AM&E and that was fun.  Definitely going to get a DF cover made and maybe a MEZZ one, and remove the flap on the shaft lean side since that one is not needed.  Thanks!

I do the toe strikes on really quick downhillers but I can’t make a solid 1-2 inch putt that’s consistent enough.  However putting it out on the toe allows me to make a proper stroke.  

thanks for the link on the headcovers.  I don’t mind paying for quality.  Have some others I’ve found for drivers, FW and hybrids and even one for the Mezz but it’s not really designed for it.  Also just got a full set of the F Bomb ones from Rose and Fire.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Well @SwingBlues has got me on my way to designing a Driver headcover and a LAB Golf DF 2.1 cover.  This is too cool - I am going to remove one of the dog ear tabs with the magnets on the shaft lean side - that will be worth a ton for me since it will make the cover so much easier to open and close.  This should be a ton of fun to work on the design and see it come to reality.

I did a project with AM&E many moons ago and that was a lot of fun - too bad I have no clue where my artwork went

IMG_5591.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone order the Mezz.1 MAX yet? Definitely tempting but the price ($559+ custom) and the wait time (6-8 weeks) is holding me off for now.

Not sure if the bit of extra stability warrants the purchase just yet, but I'm intrigued. Anyone know how/if that translates to forgiveness?

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

As one of the original 10 WRX testers with 8 months (since Jan to now, August), I think I have found my sweet spot with Mezz

These 8 months started SMOOTH, the Mezz and I got along. Making decent putts but not GREAT putts. Putter was so new and it was VERY DIFFERENT to my Directed Force, size and swing weight. I thought the stock swing weight was pretty good back then, i measured it as D9 with 34" shaft and 69* but something was niggling me -  I just could not finish the holes on the shorter putts, we are talking those 6 to 10 footers. Couldn't figure out why so in about June I posted I was going back to my Directed Force... Sigh.

That lasted for about 2 weeks since it really irked me this putter was not working & I needed to figure out WHY. Why did it start so great, or was it great?

Size of the head was great but for the size, I was thinking it was too light... I had a pro friend "try this" and immediately after a few putts he said "I can't feel the head". BINGO - thanks for the confirmation.

Next day I added about 10" of lead tape & brought it up to about E4. Immediately, it felt HELLUVA better. I got him my pro friend to try it again - yeah, he really, really liked it. He could feel the head. I tested the new heavier swing weight for about 3 weeks before calling up Sam to talk about changing the swing weight to be heavier.

Last week of July I got my Mezz back from Jake @labgolf and it came back E2.5. I felt, there is a difference between lead tape plonked underneath the head versus a proper, true Lie Angle Balance at E2.5. The turn around time was about a week and 2 days including shipping there and back.

One other development....

Was that I started working on a left hand low putting technique. Now, changing putting style is not strange to me, I changed to a Claw back in 2017 when I got my Directed Force, that style suited THAT putter. By the way, both Directed Force and Mezz are specced exactly the same - 34" and 69* lie.

To me, the Mezz just didn't 100% fit the Claw or Claw didn't fit it...that's my feeling and experience. I think the much heavier E9 Directed Force kept my hands level and low using the Claw.

With the Mezz, I videoed my putting stroke with the left hand low and I can see a much lower and level hands through impact. Very, very, very straight with the left hand low. I experimented with the 10 finger, overlap, interlock and settled on a 2 finger overlap.

And I saw immediate & crazy improvements like I was draining the 6 ft to 20 ft range on a more frequent basis. Longer putts were going where they were suppose to and surprisingly, dropped...leaving me with "Dang, I should have setup the camera"

For me, it was night and day - the difference between a Claw putt vs Left hand low.

I played this Saturday and finished off a nice 3 under round with an Eagle on the Par 5 18th at Encino GC, Los Angeles. Driver, 3 wood and a Mezz to NAIL a 25 feet, left to right curler & it was bang on for speed and direction. All day, the Mezz was KILLING IT keeping Par and sinking a nice bird on another Par 5 on the front 9 - set my personal best round at Encino.

1838145296_2022-08-1317_00.48_S.jpg.82430f17b757aa3d45aa1c937aa5aec1.jpg

This is my 3rd round with the left hand low Mezz and it's in the bag. So much so, I am waiting to hear back from Delilah to build another custom head cover for it. Personally, golf money is tight so unless it's 1000% certainty, I won't spend it. But I am for my Mezz.

Food for thought for the LAB lads...

However, I will ADD this for those readers contemplating Mezz or the Mezz Max. Even though the remote fittings offered by LAB works, I still think that nothing would ever beat getting an actual putter in your hand and feeling the head on a stroke. For me, and probably other testers here as well - getting the right swing weight is crucial and if anything, err on the heavier side than less.

I know LAB now offers stock, heaver and light. While this is a great optional improvement, as I said, there nothing like getting a feel of a "heavy" or "light" Mezz. Perhaps offering a 2 week Mezz rental program secured by a credit card should be looked into for those who can't get to a PGA Tour Superstore. Given, LAB charges $100 for a weight change, this is something you want to get right. Save time, Save $$$

So 8 months down the road, I am SO THANKFUL to Sam & the guys at @labgolf for picking me to test this lovely Mezz & GolfWRX for this wonderful forum to bloviate our opinions 😁

Mezz is a WINNER and I don't need to even contemplate the Max version either. At least, don't put one in my face... 😉

Man - awesome write up and congrats on the round, the eagle and getting the MEZZ set up right!  Also thanks for probably spending more of my money 🙂  I had a DF and driver cover in the works with Delilah...

Right now I am getting along with one of my DFs.  I am going to get out the weights and mess around with the MEZZ.  Your description of the good putts is just what I see (when it happens).  The ball has this perfect roll and seems to steam roll over all the crap on the green and just goes in or is very close

I just got done with a wood test last night (well still in the middle of it).  Testing a bunch of shafts - one thing I tried was going shorter in the driver with a heavier shaft - it was kind of magic - I need to set up more testing with that.  The point being that the weighting of the club has to be right for you, and once you hit something that is right, it changes everything.

Thanks again for the great write up!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

As one of the original 10 WRX testers with 8 months (since Jan to now, August), I think I have found my sweet spot with Mezz

These 8 months started SMOOTH, the Mezz and I got along. Making decent putts but not GREAT putts. Putter was so new and it was VERY DIFFERENT to my Directed Force, size and swing weight. I thought the stock swing weight was pretty good back then, i measured it as D9 with 34" shaft and 69* but something was niggling me -  I just could not finish the holes on the shorter putts, we are talking those 6 to 10 footers. Couldn't figure out why so in about June I posted I was going back to my Directed Force... Sigh.

That lasted for about 2 weeks since it really irked me this putter was not working & I needed to figure out WHY. Why did it start so great, or was it great?

Size of the head was great but for the size, I was thinking it was too light... I had a pro friend "try this" and immediately after a few putts he said "I can't feel the head". BINGO - thanks for the confirmation.

Next day I added about 10" of lead tape & brought it up to about E4. Immediately, it felt HELLUVA better. I got him my pro friend to try it again - yeah, he really, really liked it. He could feel the head. I tested the new heavier swing weight for about 3 weeks before calling up Sam to talk about changing the swing weight to be heavier.

Last week of July I got my Mezz back from Jake @labgolf and it came back E2.5. I felt, there is a difference between lead tape plonked underneath the head versus a proper, true Lie Angle Balance at E2.5. The turn around time was about a week and 2 days including shipping there and back.

Was that I started working on a left hand low putting technique. Now, changing putting style is not strange to me, I changed to a Claw back in 2017 when I got my Directed Force, that style suited THAT putter. By the way, both Directed Force and Mezz are specced exactly the same - 34" and 69* lie.

To me, the Mezz just didn't 100% fit the Claw or Claw didn't fit it...that's my feeling and experience. I think the much heavier E9 Directed Force kept my hands level and low using the Claw.

With the Mezz, I videoed my putting stroke with the left hand low and I can see a much lower and level hands through impact. Very, very, very straight with the left hand low. I experimented with the 10 finger, overlap, interlock and settled on a 2 finger overlap.

And I saw immediate & crazy improvements like I was draining the 6 ft to 20 ft range on a more frequent basis. Longer putts were going where they were suppose to and surprisingly, dropped...leaving me with "Dang, I should have setup the camera"

For me, it was night and day - the difference between a Claw putt vs Left hand low.

I played this Saturday and finished off a nice 3 under round with an Eagle on the Par 5 18th at Encino GC, Los Angeles. Driver, 3 wood and a Mezz to NAIL a 25 feet, left to right curler & it was bang on for speed and direction. All day, the Mezz was KILLING IT keeping Par and sinking a nice bird on another Par 5 on the front 9 - set my personal best round at Encino.

This is my 3rd round with the left hand low Mezz and it's in the bag. So much so, I am waiting to hear back from Delilah to build another custom head cover for it. Personally, golf money is tight so unless it's 1000% certainty, I won't spend it. But I am for my Mezz.

However, I will ADD this for those readers contemplating Mezz or the Mezz Max. Even though the remote fittings offered by LAB works, I still think that nothing would ever beat getting an actual putter in your hand and feeling the head on a stroke. For me, and probably other testers here as well - getting the right swing weight is crucial and if anything, err on the heavier side than less.

I know LAB now offers stock, heaver and light. While this is a great optional improvement, as I said, there nothing like getting a feel of a "heavy" or "light" Mezz. Perhaps offering a 2 week Mezz rental program secured by a credit card should be looked into for those who can't get to a PGA Tour Superstore. Given, LAB charges $100 for a weight change, this is something you want to get right. Save time, Save $$$

So 8 months down the road, I am SO THANKFUL to Sam & the guys at @labgolf for picking me to test this lovely Mezz & GolfWRX for this wonderful forum to bloviate our opinions 😁

Mezz is a WINNER and I don't need to even contemplate the Max version either. At least, don't put one in my face... 😉

Thanks for the great writeup! Congrats on the fantastic round and persona best! 

It seems like most people have to adjust to this putter and so it seems like the off season is a great time to get one and work with it. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 4:59 AM, SwingBlues said:

How much head weight did you add to your MEZZ - I played around a bit with some 2 gram weights I had and adding 12 and then 20 grams to the head - totally changed things to allow me to feel the putter as you said.

For me it is the same with any club - if I can not feel it I make a quick movement - yippy in a putt and lumber jack in a full swing.  I need to "feel" the club in order to relax and putt a good swing on it.  This does not mean super heavy and it could just mean that the shaft has compliance that allows me to feel the club

Thanks again - I will play around with things and seen where this goes - seems like a fun project.

Last question (for now).  Can you compare the feel from when you lead taped the MEZZ to the reweighted club?  The $100 is worth it for not having a lead taped club, but did the "feel" translate to the final version?

1 hour ago, ajlacombe said:

How much head weight did you add to your MEZZ - I played around a bit with some 2 gram weights I had and adding 12 and then 20 grams to the head - totally changed things to allow me to feel the putter as you said.

For me it is the same with any club - if I can not feel it I make a quick movement - yippy in a putt and lumber jack in a full swing.  I need to "feel" the club in order to relax and putt a good swing on it.  This does not mean super heavy and it could just mean that the shaft has compliance that allows me to feel the club

Thanks again - I will play around with things and seen where this goes - seems like a fun project.

Last question (for now).  Can you compare the feel from when you lead taped the MEZZ to the reweighted club?  The $100 is worth it for not having a lead taped club, but did the "feel" translate to the final version?

I started with heavy density lead tape that is 2gm per inch. I put about 6.5"  so my putter went up from stock D9 to E3.5 . I equally spread the weight across the 2 arms. In my testing, I went all the way up to E9 but the heavier it got, it did not result in better control either, just heavier... so I settled on requesting E3.5 when I sent my putter to LAB.

However, when my Mezz was re-weighted by LAB, it came back E2.5. I attribute that to the lie angle balancing. LAB has to add more weight/move weights in the right position to keep it LAB....and it's 1 swing weight point difference.

As for comparing the feeling lead tape versus LAB reweighted, I'll nod to that but it's very subtle.

I placed the lead tape on the sole of each arm, same length. While testing it, I can feel the lead weight but to me something was just a little off. It was not as torquey as using a 2 Ball (which I have as well) but yeah, you are back to holding the grip to keep it inline.

Contrast this when it came back from LAB at E2.5, after rolling the first putt I remember thinking - DANG, this head is on a rail... the only other time I ever said that was in my buddy's Subaru WRX STi while driving in heavy snow 😎

Actually, the cost is more than $100. It was $18 to ship it insured via Pirateship and then you add the $100 for the re-weight and return shipping. As Sam explains, the weights used are expensive and time to re-balance it as well.

Was it worth it - you BETCHA

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

I started with heavy density lead tape that is 2gm per inch. I put about 6.5"  so my putter went up from stock D9 to E3.5 . I equally spread the weight across the 2 arms. In my testing, I went all the way up to E9 but the heavier it got, it did not result in better control either, just heavier... so I settled on requesting E3.5 when I sent my putter to LAB.

However, when my Mezz was re-weighted by LAB, it came back E2.5. I attribute that to the lie angle balancing. LAB has to add more weight/move weights in the right position to keep it LAB....and it's 1 swing weight point difference.

As for comparing the feeling lead tape versus LAB reweighted, I'll nod to that but it's very subtle.

I placed the lead tape on the sole of each arm, same length. While testing it, I can feel the lead weight but to me something was just a little off. It was not as torquey as using a 2 Ball (which I have as well) but yeah, you are back to holding the grip to keep it inline.

Contrast this when it came back from LAB at E2.5, after rolling the first putt I remember thinking - DANG, this head is on a rail... the only other time I ever said that was in my buddy's Subaru WRX STi while driving in heavy snow 😎

Actually, the cost is more than $100. It was $18 to ship it insured via Pirateship and then you add the $100 for the re-weight and return shipping. As Sam explains, the weights used are expensive and time to re-balance it as well.

Was it worth it - you BETCHA

Thanks - that was all what I was suspecting - that when the weight was evenly distributed in a LAB manner it would "feel" different" because of the lack of torque.

Thanks - I am not measuring swing weight until I have something that feels better to me.  When I have messed with the putter weights before, they ramp up feeling better with weight increase until they reach a point where the weight crosses a line where I do not feel like I can move the putter the way I want and I am more fighting the inertia of the added weight.

Thanks, this may allow the MEZZ to share time with the DFs.

Anyone here decide between the standard or heavier weight options? I can't decide. I like to feel the head a bit, but i don't want it to be too  heavy. 

current gamer is phantom 7. Stock weights were 15g and I upgraded to 20g weights and they felt great. Tried 25g but felt too heavy. Any suggestions how to tackle this?

6 minutes ago, SuperBombin said:

Anyone here decide between the standard or heavier weight options? I can't decide. I like to feel the head a bit, but i don't want it to be too  heavy. 

current gamer is phantom 7. Stock weights were 15g and I upgraded to 20g weights and they felt great. Tried 25g but felt too heavy. Any suggestions how to tackle this?

...that was what I was trying to also get at, what is a Custom "heavier" weight in contrast to "stock", what's the swing weight difference?

Perhaps @labgolf can chime in...

• Like 1

Update: I purchased the original Mezz earlier this year. After several days on the putting green, I ended up listing it because of the following:

- It was too light, just like @SwingBluessaid. I also tried lead taping the crap out of it. While I liked it heavier, I wasn’t ready to fully commit to sending back in. 
- I felt like the head was too small from heel to toe. Mix that with a light head, and I was hitting it all over the little face. This made it somewhat unforgiving. 
- I got the Accra shaft and it made the whole package very stiff feeling. I prefer a softer feeling at impact.
- The single alignment line wasn’t doing much for my eye.

Anyway, sold it and went back to my Odyssey #7. Then I got the email about the Max and the different colors. Went to the website and saw that pretty much everything changed for the better. It’s like they read my mind:

- better head covers

- bigger head with more MOI

- option to choose ‘heavier’ weight

- different grip choices

- a bunch of alignment aid choices 

So I decided I would bite the bullet and try it. I knew I couldn’t wait 6-8 weeks, so I reached out to see what my options were to expedite. They let me know that they only had 2 heads in the shop at that moment, the black and the brown(cappuccino). On top of that, they were both Max 16 heads which are the ones with the additional screws for building the broomstick/armlocks. They said it didn’t matter though and they could weight it the same as a Max 8 head. So I moved forward with the following:

- 33 1/2” length and 69 deg lie

- Standard black steel shaft

- Cappuccino color

- Triple line alignment aid

- Heavier weight 

- 3 deg Smooth Grip

- White head cover 

They built it quick and shipped out right away. I had it in hand in less than a week. It’s perfect. I’m in serious honeymoon stage. Putted with it for 2 hours today and unlike the Mezz, I got better with it as time went on. Lag putts we’re great, alignment was better, and it could be in my head, but it much more forgiving and stable than the smaller Mezz. The head feels really heavy now. It feels closer to the DF in terms of weight, if I remember correctly. I also really enjoy the feel of the smooth grip. The color was a big risk, as they only have digital renderings on the site, but it looks stellar in person. It’s a bronze color, very similar to what Ping did in their line a couple years back. 

This putter clocks in at E8 swing weight and 561 grams total weight.

1AF375CC-26E8-4CAE-8BDA-6DAF78D369D2.jpeg.d3f4f1b4e6e1f0db86cbdc445e1b4cf4.jpegFE8E5D2A-C53E-4313-8951-67B7E408243F.jpeg.de53d53645929955381fa2b6fc221efc.jpegF61AD6C1-6B8C-4C59-B32C-90411F724B62.jpeg.0d7cee6d53efd0e693e6f995b193d491.jpeg7F6CF657-A374-4508-82DF-21FB10887545.jpeg.1cbfe6e8d0769ee0d85ef1a442f94913.jpeg

Edited by joj
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, joj said:

Update: I purchased the original Mezz earlier this year. After several days on the putting green, I ended up listing it because of the following:

- It was too light, just like @SwingBluessaid. I also tried lead taping the crap out of it. While I liked it heavier, I wasn’t ready to fully commit to sending back in. 
- I felt like the head was too small from heel to toe. Mix that with a light head, and I was hitting it all over the little face. This made it somewhat unforgiving. 
- I got the Accra shaft and it made the whole package very stiff feeling. I prefer a softer feeling at impact.
- The single alignment line wasn’t doing much for my eye.

Anyway, sold it and went back to my Odyssey #7. Then I got the email about the Max and the different colors. Went to the website and saw that pretty much everything changed for the better. It’s like they read my mind:

- better head covers

- bigger head with more MOI

- option to choose ‘heavier’ weight

- different grip choices

- a bunch of alignment aid choices 

So I decided I would bite the bullet and try it. I knew I couldn’t wait 6-8 weeks, so I reached out to see what my options were to expedite. They let me know that they only had 2 heads in the shop at that moment, the black and the brown(cappuccino). On top of that, they were both Max 16 heads which are the ones with the additional screws for building the broomstick/armlocks. They said it didn’t matter though and they could weight it the same as a Max 8 head. So I moved forward with the following:

- 33 1/2” length and 69 deg lie

- Standard black steel shaft

- Cappuccino color

- Triple line alignment aid

- Heavier weight 

- 3 deg Smooth Grip

- White head cover 

They built it quick and shipped out right away. I had it in hand in less than a week. It’s perfect. I’m in serious honeymoon stage. Putted with it for 2 hours today and unlike the Mezz, I got better with it as time went on. Lag putts we’re great, alignment was better, and it could be in my head, but it much more forgiving and stable than the smaller Mezz. The head feels really heavy now. It feels closer to the DF in terms of weight, if I remember correctly. I also really enjoy the feel of the smooth grip. The color was a big risk, as they only have digital renderings on the site, but it looks stellar in person. It’s a bronze color, very similar to what Ping did in their line a couple years back. 

This putter clocks in at E8 swing weight and 561 grams total weight.

1AF375CC-26E8-4CAE-8BDA-6DAF78D369D2.jpeg.d3f4f1b4e6e1f0db86cbdc445e1b4cf4.jpegFE8E5D2A-C53E-4313-8951-67B7E408243F.jpeg.de53d53645929955381fa2b6fc221efc.jpegF61AD6C1-6B8C-4C59-B32C-90411F724B62.jpeg.0d7cee6d53efd0e693e6f995b193d491.jpeg7F6CF657-A374-4508-82DF-21FB10887545.jpeg.1cbfe6e8d0769ee0d85ef1a442f94913.jpeg

Awesome - fantastic that it worked out for you - man that color is WAY better looking than the images they have on the site.  Did you go with the Press II 3º grip on your own or are tehy recommending that grip over the 1.5?

I have been playing around with weights on my MEZZ and am currently at 16g added in the E8-9 range.  I agree that it is way better feeling to me.