2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! See What Members Are Saying!

GolfWRX_Official

On 12/19/2022 at 6:05 PM, labgolf said:

Very likely, yes. The Mezz is much smaller heel to toe than our other models and has a bit of camber. For the Directed Force, I'd prefer it perfect but you can get away with a degree in either direction.

so, is it better to be close to the spec (my fitting a year or two ago was 35" 70*) and have an upgraded shaft (I see some on the outlet), or be dead on for spec and have the stock shaft? Both would be roughly the same price and I could get a DF in my exact spec, although the MEZZ Max seems like a just as forgiving better looking match.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

On 12/12/2022 at 6:57 AM, tokamoto42 said:

Yes I noticed this as well and just looked for pics of him from the QBE. Sure enough he’s using the Mezz. 

After following this thread my Mezz should arrive in a few days. Thanks all!

0FD6E43A-1EAD-44CC-9132-51B01A34B177.jpeg

Alright guys I thought I would come back and provide an update on my results with the Mezz as it's been about a month since I got it.

Right out of the box the thing felt amazing. Super square and stable, loved the look and the putter had a great feel off the face. As many of you described, when putting at home on the wellputt mat, it was point and shoot. Seemed super easy. So I was very excited to take it to the golf course. Also just for reference, my index is currently +0.5 and I consider myself a very good putter. However I've noticed I tend to miss out on some of the putts a + handicap "should" make. I know that sounds arbitrary however I use Decade so I'm keenly aware of my SG putting when trying a new wand.  I mention all of this bc my goal is really to gain between 0.5 to 1.0 SG putting (I know thats a big number for those of you who track SG). 

So now for the results. My first 3 rounds with the Mezz in play were decently solid, shot 74-74-72 (last round was practice round for Asher Tour event I played in last week). My lifetime SG putting in the Decade app relative to PGAT (a couple of seasons off & on) is -1.3. I was trending to -.75 over the first half dozen rounds with the Mezz and I was gaining confidence. We had some rain prior to the event here in Scottsdale so the last few days I didn't get as much practice as I'd like but I did go out the night before for some short game and a quick 9 holes. I was draining everything and fired up for my tournament. That said, I was also working diligently on the other parts of my game, namely short game and the mental game. I was ready and excited for some competitive rounds all the while pulling out my new secret weapon to add to my ball striking which I was very satisfied with. 

The tournament was a 36 hole shootout at McCormick Ranch (where the Monday Q is held for the Waste Mgt Open). Lots of good players in the field too, I think bc they are trying to get some tourney reps on the course where they will try to Monday Q in Feb (several full status KFT guys and many D1 collegiate players). Knowing the field, the golf course and the history of scores on this course during tournaments I figured -8 to -10 would win the thing. I had no dreams about winning as I'm just trying to get some early season tourney reps in order to try and peak for our Club Champ in March. However I had a realistic goal of trying to finish the tournament in red figures. 

First hole, Driver and wedge to about 25 feet (started on 10). Left the birdie putt 4 feet short as the greens were substantially slower than my practice round, the practice putting green that day as well as any of my courses here in Desert Mountain (our avg stimp is usually around 11ish on our 6 courses.) Horseshoe lipped out for par to start the day. Didn't get rattled, made a par then missed another 4 foot par putt on 12. Chipped in for bird at 13. Cruising along and hitting the ball excellent, missed a birdie on 14 from 5 ft, gave a good look to an 18 footer for bird on 15 (toughest hole on course). Should be noted most of my misses were to the low side and my speed was short all day.  16 is a tough, small undulating green and I had about 130 to the flag on a slope. I hit a great wedge, pin high to about 15 feet. Launched the birdie putt 3 feet passed, then missed the come backer. Got to the par 3 17th and hit a 7 iron to about 12 feet. Never had a chance and didn't sniff the hole. On the 18th par 5 I hit 3 wood to just short of the front left fringe. Chipped it to about 2.5 to 3 feet. Now I was starting to get rattled with the putter. Speed was off, line was off and nothing was dropping. However I was hitting the ball great and knew if I could just drain a putt or two, I'd be fine. Stayed patient even though it was incredibly uncomfortable. Made the short putt on 18 to shoot +2 for the 9. I could detail the back side and the next round however I've probably lost most of you. Long story short, I was +1 for the round both days coming into the last 2 or final hole.

I finished with a double bogey on my 18th hole both days. Both were 3 putts. 77-75 T50. I could've left dejected but I was proud of how I played, hit the ball and controlled my emotions and mental game. My putting was a disappointment. I felt if I even had a B- or C+ putting week, I could've attained my goal of getting in the red for the tourney bc of how well I hit the ball. I hit over 14 greens each day: SG Approach R1 was 1.48 and Round 2 was 2.96. My SG Putting for the 2 rounds was Round 1 (-5.2) and Round 2 (-3.49).

So now back home to play in some scratch money games and a weekly tournament on Saturdays for single digit handicaps. I chalked it up to an anomaly and that the greens were just kind of rough. Coupled with rain and likely not rolling them, they weren't in great shape. However I was correct in that -9 won the tournament. So obviously someone was putting well on them. I figured once I got back home on fast, true greens I would go back to point and shoot with the Mezz.

Unfortunately this has not been the case. Once home my head has been in shambles. I've tried moving the ball back. I've been using mirrors religiously to make sure my eyes are over the ball. I've used the Tour Tempo app for putting (i usually only use it for full swing). I'm putting worse now that when I sought out the Mezz. To the point that now I'm not just consider using a different putter, I'm considering switching my putting style all together. I've played around with broomstick, armlock and Face On. Never have fully committed to any of them but I think it's time to commit to Face On and start from scratch. I know I can't putt any worse than I have as of late. Couple that with hitting the ball exceptionally well makes it even more difficult to go up to every green and miss a make-able birdie putt or or have a 50% chance of 3 putting if I'm not inside 20 feet. 

Sorry for the rant. I wish I could tell you it was all hunky dory but I'm just sharing my results honestly. I bought the Mezz bc of this thread and bc I had played the DF and am a believer in the technology. Still am. But putting is more mental than anything in golf which is a mental game, so that says a lot. I've been following the Face On thread in WRX and I'll let you guys know if I decide on anything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tokamoto42 said:

Alright guys I thought I would come back and provide an update on my results with the Mezz as it's been about a month since I got it.

Right out of the box the thing felt amazing. Super square and stable, loved the look and the putter had a great feel off the face. As many of you described, when putting at home on the wellputt mat, it was point and shoot. Seemed super easy. So I was very excited to take it to the golf course. Also just for reference, my index is currently +0.5 and I consider myself a very good putter. However I've noticed I tend to miss out on some of the putts a + handicap "should" make. I know that sounds arbitrary however I use Decade so I'm keenly aware of my SG putting when trying a new wand.  I mention all of this bc my goal is really to gain between 0.5 to 1.0 SG putting (I know thats a big number for those of you who track SG). 

So now for the results. My first 3 rounds with the Mezz in play were decently solid, shot 74-74-72 (last round was practice round for Asher Tour event I played in last week). My lifetime SG putting in the Decade app relative to PGAT (a couple of seasons off & on) is -1.3. I was trending to -.75 over the first half dozen rounds with the Mezz and I was gaining confidence. We had some rain prior to the event here in Scottsdale so the last few days I didn't get as much practice as I'd like but I did go out the night before for some short game and a quick 9 holes. I was draining everything and fired up for my tournament. That said, I was also working diligently on the other parts of my game, namely short game and the mental game. I was ready and excited for some competitive rounds all the while pulling out my new secret weapon to add to my ball striking which I was very satisfied with. 

The tournament was a 36 hole shootout at McCormick Ranch (where the Monday Q is held for the Waste Mgt Open). Lots of good players in the field too, I think bc they are trying to get some tourney reps on the course where they will try to Monday Q in Feb (several full status KFT guys and many D1 collegiate players). Knowing the field, the golf course and the history of scores on this course during tournaments I figured -8 to -10 would win the thing. I had no dreams about winning as I'm just trying to get some early season tourney reps in order to try and peak for our Club Champ in March. However I had a realistic goal of trying to finish the tournament in red figures. 

First hole, Driver and wedge to about 25 feet (started on 10). Left the birdie putt 4 feet short as the greens were substantially slower than my practice round, the practice putting green that day as well as any of my courses here in Desert Mountain (our avg stimp is usually around 11ish on our 6 courses.) Horseshoe lipped out for par to start the day. Didn't get rattled, made a par then missed another 4 foot par putt on 12. Chipped in for bird at 13. Cruising along and hitting the ball excellent, missed a birdie on 14 from 5 ft, gave a good look to an 18 footer for bird on 15 (toughest hole on course). Should be noted most of my misses were to the low side and my speed was short all day.  16 is a tough, small undulating green and I had about 130 to the flag on a slope. I hit a great wedge, pin high to about 15 feet. Launched the birdie putt 3 feet passed, then missed the come backer. Got to the par 3 17th and hit a 7 iron to about 12 feet. Never had a chance and didn't sniff the hole. On the 18th par 5 I hit 3 wood to just short of the front left fringe. Chipped it to about 2.5 to 3 feet. Now I was starting to get rattled with the putter. Speed was off, line was off and nothing was dropping. However I was hitting the ball great and knew if I could just drain a putt or two, I'd be fine. Stayed patient even though it was incredibly uncomfortable. Made the short putt on 18 to shoot +2 for the 9. I could detail the back side and the next round however I've probably lost most of you. Long story short, I was +1 for the round both days coming into the last 2 or final hole.

I finished with a double bogey on my 18th hole both days. Both were 3 putts. 77-75 T50. I could've left dejected but I was proud of how I played, hit the ball and controlled my emotions and mental game. My putting was a disappointment. I felt if I even had a B- or C+ putting week, I could've attained my goal of getting in the red for the tourney bc of how well I hit the ball. I hit over 14 greens each day: SG Approach R1 was 1.48 and Round 2 was 2.96. My SG Putting for the 2 rounds was Round 1 (-5.2) and Round 2 (-3.49).

So now back home to play in some scratch money games and a weekly tournament on Saturdays for single digit handicaps. I chalked it up to an anomaly and that the greens were just kind of rough. Coupled with rain and likely not rolling them, they weren't in great shape. However I was correct in that -9 won the tournament. So obviously someone was putting well on them. I figured once I got back home on fast, true greens I would go back to point and shoot with the Mezz.

Unfortunately this has not been the case. Once home my head has been in shambles. I've tried moving the ball back. I've been using mirrors religiously to make sure my eyes are over the ball. I've used the Tour Tempo app for putting (i usually only use it for full swing). I'm putting worse now that when I sought out the Mezz. To the point that now I'm not just consider using a different putter, I'm considering switching my putting style all together. I've played around with broomstick, armlock and Face On. Never have fully committed to any of them but I think it's time to commit to Face On and start from scratch. I know I can't putt any worse than I have as of late. Couple that with hitting the ball exceptionally well makes it even more difficult to go up to every green and miss a make-able birdie putt or or have a 50% chance of 3 putting if I'm not inside 20 feet. 

Sorry for the rant. I wish I could tell you it was all hunky dory but I'm just sharing my results honestly. I bought the Mezz bc of this thread and bc I had played the DF and am a believer in the technology. Still am. But putting is more mental than anything in golf which is a mental game, so that says a lot. I've been following the Face On thread in WRX and I'll let you guys know if I decide on anything. 

Wow - I feel your pain. I can feel the tension in your mind just by reading the post. I would venture a guess that you are deep inside your head at this point. 

My recommendation is simple:

1) IMO the only thing you should have in your head during a putt is a target - nothing else. 

2) Your hands on the MEZZ should be dead - no muscle input from the hands at all.  Just swing the thing.

You said yourself - the MEZZ is point and shoot at home - why is that? Again IMO, because your mind is out of the shot. My favorite analogy for golf is throwing a paperwad to someone else - what do you do in that action?  Take the target, and execute.  Do you ever change your stance or try shallowing your elbow or your eye position when throwing the paperwad? No. Why not? Because that would interfere with your execution.

Just food for thought for you to ponder.  I have found as humans, our greatest weakness is being able to see the simple answer, because we always want to complicate things.

• Like 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

23 minutes ago, tokamoto42 said:

This one hit home for me. I've been in your shoes and still am for the most part. For the first time in a few years, I've just recently found a putter that I am 100% confident in hitting my line with. After practicing with it for a couple weeks indoors, the weather was nice enough this weekend to get it out for a round. I shot 65 because I finally started hitting all the putts that I haven't been able to even sniff the hole on for the last couple years. I know they won't always go in like that, but just hitting the spot I'm aiming at lead to the most enjoyable round of golf I've had in years. It didn't feel like the typical torture of hitting it to 15-20 feet and knowing it had no chance of going in. I've actually got a DF 2.1 Broomstick being delivered today because I was ready to commit to broomstick putting just to try and get out of my own head. But I don't think I'm even going to give it a chance the way I putted with my Golo N7 this weekend. I hope you're able to find a way to get out of your own head as well. It's a completely demoralizing feeling. I hope I've escaped that dark place and this isn't just a honeymoon phase. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

39 minutes ago, coreyhr said:

This one hit home for me. I've been in your shoes and still am for the most part. For the first time in a few years, I've just recently found a putter that I am 100% confident in hitting my line with. After practicing with it for a couple weeks indoors, the weather was nice enough this weekend to get it out for a round. I shot 65 because I finally started hitting all the putts that I haven't been able to even sniff the hole on for the last couple years. I know they won't always go in like that, but just hitting the spot I'm aiming at lead to the most enjoyable round of golf I've had in years. It didn't feel like the typical torture of hitting it to 15-20 feet and knowing it had no chance of going in. I've actually got a DF 2.1 Broomstick being delivered today because I was ready to commit to broomstick putting just to try and get out of my own head. But I don't think I'm even going to give it a chance the way I putted with my Golo N7 this weekend. I hope you're able to find a way to get out of your own head as well. It's a completely demoralizing feeling. I hope I've escaped that dark place and this isn't just a honeymoon phase. 

Thank you both fellas, AJ and Corey. I sincerely appreciate the advice and it is good advice. That’s kind of the irony here. I’ve been working on the head game a ton recently bc I wanted to enjoy golf more AND play better. It’s been working in all aspects of my game except putting lol. Which is the most mental, go figure.

I guess I’m not as demoralized as I sound, however I wanted to be honest with the range of emotions I’ve been through. Both with a new putter and serious, professional tournament golf.

But that’s also what excites me about maybe doing something completely new. Not like a half assed try in the past. Like a serious year long commitment, to whatever it may be “technically”. So that I can go back to putting how I know I can, and as you guys describe, athletically. The new thing would require lots of practice however if I approached it like a kid, enjoying the process and believing it’s a better way to putt (which I might already believe with Face On), who knows? I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel, just add 0.5 to 1 SG putts a round. 

And I’ve always loved switching up putters when my head is in a funk. Not bc I think it’s the putter. But bc sometimes grabbing something new gets me out of my head. And if you’ve followed professional golf for any amount of time, you’ll know that’s not an extremely rare occurrence.

I guess what I’m toying with right now is, do I just make another switch and go back to working on the head to get freed up? Or try something completely new (after real sincere practice)? It’s golf. There is no right way or easy answer. And it’s personal so I guess only I can decide. However I’ve been on WRX since the early days, even if I don’t post much bc I appreciate everyone’s insight. And particularly those who are or have been in similar situations (tournaments, similar proficiency etc).

• Like 2

I think you can find people in your shoes on WRX.  I had to laugh when you said you always liked to switch up putters. I got too much into switching things up and collecting putters.

As a kid I was fearless and as I got older I started to think way too much. Karl Morris and Izzy Justice put out a nice audio summary of their thoughts on putting that hit hime with me - get a target and hold the target. That is where I am these days. Moving 100% to LAB Golf putters and getting ready for a giant sell off

Good luck, I hope you find the mojo that frees things up!

IMG_6686.jpeg

IMG_6685D.jpeg

Edited by ajlacombe
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, tokamoto42 said:

Hahaha your pics made me laugh! Nice to know I’m not alone, not sure I want to air my dirty laundry in public.

I’ll def check out the audio you mentioned, thanks!

I can feel your pain and if you want to know what I have gone through and finally did, PM me.  I don’t want to go into all the craziness I did over the past year but I finally found my putter (Mezz Max heavy).  I purchased so many different putters, 2.1, armlock, armlock 2.1, etc.  

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

10 minutes ago, coreyhr said:

In true WRX fashion, I didn't stay true to my word. I unboxed the DF 2.1 Broomstick and got it on the putting mat at home. Holy cow, that thing is truly point and shoot. Stroke feels so effortless with it. I picked up my GoLo after putting 15 or 20 with the DF 2.1 and it was like I had to re-learn how to put with the slight toe hang of the GoLo. It's hard to put in to words, but you can definitely feel the lack of torque in the DF 2.1. Thinking hard now about selling one of my classic Scotty's and picking up the new Link.1 from LAB. I'm proving why I can't get consistent with any putter. Haha. It's like a disease. 

Haha - it is a disease. The lack of torque is hard to dial into for the long run, but I have found I am getting more and more comfortable with it.

My putter rotating circus has lessened since getting on board with LAB. I did have temptations, but I have built out the LAB lineup to stay with LAB DF 2.1s and the MEZZ, and maybe a MEZZ Max will be arriving tomorrow 🙂  

My biggest learning milestone with LAB putters is to get my hands 100% out of the stroke - that has been very hard for me and I have a lingering issue with longer lag putts where you need 40-100 feet of power in the putt - I am not there yet, and with the current winter garbage greens in Ohio, it has been a challenge.

To show my confidence in LAB I have 50 putters going on the block and my only regret of that move is I have 2 cool putter racks that hold 11 putters each - the LAB putters will have a lot of space on there 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coreyhr said:

In true WRX fashion, I didn't stay true to my word. I unboxed the DF 2.1 Broomstick and got it on the putting mat at home. Holy cow, that thing is truly point and shoot. Stroke feels so effortless with it. I picked up my GoLo after putting 15 or 20 with the DF 2.1 and it was like I had to re-learn how to put with the slight toe hang of the GoLo. It's hard to put in to words, but you can definitely feel the lack of torque in the DF 2.1. Thinking hard now about selling one of my classic Scotty's and picking up the new Link.1 from LAB. I'm proving why I can't get consistent with any putter. Haha. It's like a disease. 

Congrats on the Broomstick. I have had my DF Broomstick for about 4 months and it is life changing. Literally gained 4-5 (maybe more) strokes in the course since using it. I have been on rants in several threads about my love for this thing. I always put it next to me in bed prior to every round. My wife gets mad, but that’s ok. Averaging 27 putts a round is worth her getting mad😉 

I did take me a few rounds to figure out the broom, but now I only practice putting for about 10 minutes about 3 times a week. EVERYTING just goes in. Haha. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

21 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Congrats on the Broomstick. I have had my DF Broomstick for about 4 months and it is life changing. Literally gained 4-5 (maybe more) strokes in the course since using it. I have been on rants in several threads about my love for this thing. I always put it next to me in bed prior to every round. My wife gets mad, but that’s ok. Averaging 27 putts a round is worth her getting mad😉 

I did take me a few rounds to figure out the broom, but now I only practice putting for about 10 minutes about 3 times a week. EVERYTING just goes in. Haha. 

Interesting, had you ever putted broomstick style previously before the DF? How do you find longer lag putts? And how long did it take you to get comfortable on the course with it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tokamoto42 said:

Interesting, had you ever putted broomstick style previously before the DF? How do you find longer lag putts? And how long did it take you to get comfortable on the course with it?

No, never tried one. My buddy bought it and did not like it. My putting got so bad so out of desperation I asked if he could bring it and let me try it. I saw and immediate difference on the greens. Yes, I watched every LAB video I could find as well as any long putter videos I could find and after about 3-4 rounds and some practice I had it dialed in. 

I am talking going from the worst putter in a group of 16 dues to being one of the best putters now. I don’t call it lag putting anymore because I even expect to make the long ones, but to answer your question, my long putting is phenomenal. 

On all putts now, if I miss, it’s a bad read. I get excited when I hit a green in reg because I love putting so much now. Did not have my best ball striking a few rounds ago, but ended up with only 22 putts. 

Just give it time and some practice. Ball near the left heel and rock the shoulders. I make sure I stand tall too. I get hunched over a little and messes things up. 

Hope that helps. 

Edited by OspreyCI
  • Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

@ajlacombe Is there any comparable grip that I would have seen before to the 1L?  I am interested in possibly getting a bigger grip than the 1.5 but don't want to big.  From what I can find online a superstroke 3.0 which is a big grip has a diameter of 1.3 inches and the Lab website says the 1L is 1.7 which seems massive.  Wondering if I am reading this wrong or not.  Also, how do you like having 3 degrees of tilt versus the 1.5?  Have you had any issues with the Mezz with the additional forward press?

1 hour ago, LODGE1519 said:

@ajlacombe Is there any comparable grip that I would have seen before to the 1L?  I am interested in possibly getting a bigger grip than the 1.5 but don't want to big.  From what I can find online a superstroke 3.0 which is a big grip has a diameter of 1.3 inches and the Lab website says the 1L is 1.7 which seems massive.  Wondering if I am reading this wrong or not.  Also, how do you like having 3 degrees of tilt versus the 1.5?  Have you had any issues with the Mezz with the additional forward press?

The deal with the 1.7 is its shape is elliptical - I love that. What the 1.L does is it takes up any slack for my hands on the grip, meaning that there is no extra tension in my hands or fingers. The 1.7 is a massive grip on width, but 

A SuperStroke grip would be wrong on a LAB putter because you are tilting the main axis of the putter grip by 3º. The press 3.0 grip would be better since the core is angled to match the shaft lean.

I have only had the Max for 24 hours but I have putted a lot with it on my mat. But no there is zero issue with the extra lean - it feels "right" to me.  Everything about the MEZZ.1 max is right - higher weight, stability, feel from the Accra shaft and the massive grip. The "Me" of 2 years ago would say that the 2023 me is crazy.  It takes time but when something is right for you, the integration is quicker, but LAB putters take time to remove the many years of torque from your being 🙂 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 10:10 AM, tokamoto42 said:

Right on thank you Osprey!

I won’t keep bugging you, but any advice on finding the right fit? I.E. how long is the putter, head weight etc.

Wish I could help with the fitting. I bought mine from a buddy and it just works. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

So is the forgiveness a turnoff in the regular Mezz compared to the max and the DF? Those seem more automatic from what I read from others. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

9 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

So is the forgiveness a turnoff in the regular Mezz compared to the max and the DF? Those seem more automatic from what I read from others. 

Man - I just had my first round with the MEZZ.1 Max today and I think the MEZZ is fine in all aspects as long as it is fit correctly for you.  The problem is that you will not know what that means until you try all of their putters and maybe buy 5 of them 😞 

For me, my hot button apparently is the 1.L grip - it is huge but just works for me - I guess I have to get one for my MEZZ and install it. Of the DF 2.1, MEZZ.1 max (MM) and the MEZZ.1, the MEZZ is the smallest and lowest MOI (these are my perceptions and NOT measurements). So what that causes it less resistance to manipulation.  You you jerk the putter it will move more than DF or MM.

If you are good with getting your hands (and manipulation) out of your stroke, any of the putters is fine. When you increase MOI by putting with the Battlestar Galactica DF, you have other issues like stubbing the putter, issues with putting near the edge of the green and maybe with getting used to hitting long putts with a big swing with a branding iron.

I have to say I am fine with the look of the DF and refer to it in the terms I do so you know it is BIG.  You may get used to it and you may not.

IMO - the trick with LAB putters is if you can get your mind/body (hands) to accept that the torque is gone and just swing the putter, then you will be fine. If, however, you keep making compensations that have been driven into you golf psyche over say 50+ years, you will struggle until you figure it out.

The MM is awesome btw. I made very little today but man my distance control was dead on and I was right there all day - it was 29º to start with a good wind so conditions were not really ideal.  For the MM heavy, I have to give it an A+.  The red color is a stunner - @labgolf please get better pictures up there to show how awesome the putters are!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Ok like others here I have a lot of LAB putters.  I was one of the original who were selected to test the Mezz when they first came out.  I had already purchased 3 different 2.0 and 2.1’s.  Also have a 2.1 armlock and that’s about as automatic as there is but with the weather I’ve yet to be able to take that out.  Also putting so well with the Mezz Max heavy version, I don’t know if I want to tempt anything.  All my other Lab putters had the Press II 1.5 grip (except the 2.0 as that was the old standard grip that first came with it) but on the Mezz Max I’ve got a Press II 3.0 and it just works for me.  I liked the 1.5 and putted really well with that one but the 3.0 on the Max heavy is just outstanding. 

I also got the B.2 but found quickly it was not for me.

loved the original Mezz and have stated a few times on this thread why I moved  away from it.  Now I’m playing the Mezz Max.  The size for forgiveness is not much different between the Mezz and Mezz Max.  The heavy version is what is the major difference but you can also now get the original Mezz in a heavy version.  Now the 2.1 is a different animal and nothing will be as forgiving as that but some don’t like the look or feel and they want something more “traditional” in shape and size and the Mezz is perfect for that.  Test them out if you can as I’m willing to bet the Mezz would work but you need to be fit and also check to see if the regular or heavy version work better for you.  I think you will be very happy with either but the forgiveness is not much difference between the Mezz and Max.  

Edited by My2Dogs
Spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 1/12/2023 at 3:40 PM, ajlacombe said:

Well my new addition arrived today. I though uh oh when I saw the box was kind of bent and the top was ripped open but the putter was fine. I debated on whether or not to get the MEZ.1 Max but the heavy option and feedback on here led to to ho another putter.

The original MEZZ is a mixed bag for me.  The issues are the overall weight (feeling of weight) and the 1.5 grip. It is a bit off for me and that led to a lack of confidence, but I love the Accra shaft for the feel that I get with it - I can feel it providing a pop into the ball.

Then I got a couple of DF 2.1s - they are close in feel but the Augusta is a bit heavier feeling to me, but I do not generally game that since it is more of a collector thing for me.

I have been very happy with the black one/red shaft, and both have the 1.L grip that I love. The DF is a bit unwieldy at times especially  if the green is undulating, you can stub it at times. The Stability shaft is less to my liking than the Accra because of a decoupling from feel for the putt. I still really like the DFs

So I ordered the Max - the colors of the heads on the website are very poor quality - I wanted red but the pictures on the site show it more of a maroon color. I ordered red with the heavy option.

It is crappy weather here today so I have only rolled it on my PuttOut mat, but the thing feels awesome - the white shaft is a nice contrast to the red head and you can feel the pop from the shaft, but the big thing is the extra weight. What it allows me to do is lessen the length of my stroke to be able to putt the ball, and since I can really feel the head, I tend to not have any jerks in the swing.

I am not playing until Saturday and Sunday and can not wait to get this on the course. It is a combo of the DF and original MEZZ - a far more stable MEZZ.

Thank you @labgolf!  Has anyone installed a 1.L grip? I have gripped 10's of clubs over the year but I am curious as to how you line up something with the angles involved? I am assuming that you get the clubface vertical and then install the grip so the elliptical shape is flat with respect to the ground?

E5E789E2-AEC6-4F2C-BEEE-A67F853A0087_1_105_c.jpeg.9d06d7368ac680fbc58ddfb0db50dc42.jpeg1F005AB9-CB64-49A5-8FC8-D4543B766981_1_105_c.jpeg.48be6cff889edf4d32e36d8c88580002.jpeg627C4AA6-D4AC-42E5-B8A5-630B34267CEB_1_105_c.jpeg.f8ffbc4b2c36febc1b05dcf0dfc72d21.jpeg

What grip did you get on the Mezz Max?  I have the Mezz Proto and am considering a Mezz Max Heavy.  My results with the Mezz have been mixed.  I think it would be better if it was heavier and at times I struggle to get comfortable with the press grip.  What is the 1.L grip that you have referenced?

27 minutes ago, Kball10 said:

What grip did you get on the Mezz Max?  I have the Mezz Proto and am considering a Mezz Max Heavy.  My results with the Mezz have been mixed.  I think it would be better if it was heavier and at times I struggle to get comfortable with the press grip.  What is the 1.L grip that you have referenced?

My MEZZ.1 Max has the 1.L grip. The 1.L is an elliptical cross section grip - meaning it is not round, so it is wider than it is thick.  The wide dimension is perpendicular to the putter face.  The first time I got it, it was a shot in the dark and it just worked out for me.

The heavy MM is awesome for me because it lets me feel the putter and it helps make up for the missing torque in my mind. It allows me to have a more compact stroke and still hit the putts the right distance. 

I think when you deal with a putter that most are not testing, you have to listen to what others say and make a reasonable guess as to what might work for you. LAB is great to work with and they will work with you to make the putter right.

Only from a small no. of samples, but more flatter lie angles seem to be common among DF 2.1's.

(67', 68', etc. vs. 70')

Is it the way they were designed?

If i am good with 70' lie of my scotty select, will it be the same on DF?

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5'

3 Wood: TaylorMade BRNR 13.5'

5 & 7 Woods: Mizuno ST-X 18' & 21'
Irons (5-PW): Titlleist T200/T100S/T100
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10M & SM9 54-12D
PutterToulon Garage Chicago H1

6 minutes ago, mp33er said:

Only from a small no. of samples, but more flatter lie angles seem to be common among DF 2.1's.

(67', 68', etc. vs. 70')

Is it the way they were designed?

If i am good with 70' lie of my scotty select, will it be the same on DF?

I believe they are flatter as I was fitted in a 68*.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

3 hours ago, LODGE1519 said:

Has anyone had any luck removing a factory installed grip without destroying it?  Just purchased a 1L to try but would prefer it to be a $36 experiment if it doesn't work versus a $72 experiment to have to buy another 1.5.  Thanks!

I'm going to try to remove my Press 2M 3* probably this week. I'll update with results.

Edited by rlb4
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 7:54 AM, tokamoto42 said:

Email [email protected] and tell them you need help! Can you tell me more specifically what you're struggling with? Anything consistent about the misses?

• Like 1