JGS subscription worth it?

12 hours ago, leezer99 said:

The earliest you might need it is 9th grade. 

Amen, anyone talking about what their kid is ranked before 9th grade is doing it strictly for them and their ego, has nothing to do with the kid or future prospects. If you are ranked #5 in your class as a 7th grader but #895 as a Sophomore that 7th grade ranking won't matter. If you reverse it the 7th grade ranking still doesn't matter. If you are top 5 as a Sophomore no one will care where you were as a 7th grader. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 2

JGS keeps doing things that is making them less and less important.  

This used to be $20 a year.  

You don’t need it to see where you kid is ranked.   It does come in handy if your researching tournaments and are playing against players you don’t know.  You can also sometimes see tournaments you can play that other kids played.

the truth is you can most likely do a google search to get similar information. 

JGS rankings can also be way off. Some kids have rankings much higher and others are a lot lower then they should be.  

• Like 1

IMO it isn't helpful until the 8th grade.  At that time it is well worth it.  You are able to lay a foundation of what tournaments are out there and what types of scores that course and tournament set up are getting.  It is an interesting process to say the least.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

13 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

JGS keeps doing things that is making them less and less important.  

This used to be $20 a year.  

You don’t need it to see where you kid is ranked.   It does come in handy if your researching tournaments and are playing against players you don’t know.  You can also sometimes see tournaments you can play that other kids played.

the truth is you can most likely do a google search to get similar information. 

JGS rankings can also be way off. Some kids have rankings much higher and others are a lot lower then they should be.  

@tiger1873 Bro, you spend way too much time worrying about what other parents and players are doing.  

• Haha 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 hour ago, kcap said:

super helpful for us. In the grand scheme of subscriptions and golf money spent, this is way up there. 

You get a lot of insight into tournament selection, scores and ranking. 

Agreed.  With how much I spend on junior golf, $32.00 is a drop in the bucket.  An eye opener for many the first time they start looking at the kids scores.

9 hours ago, leezer99 said:

@tiger1873 Bro, you spend way too much time worrying about what other parents and players are doing.  

You need to travel more.  JGS is super handy if your playing out of state or AJGA qualifier need to know what score to shoot. It easy to get a range from players scores.  

15 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

You really do need to leave California sometimes.  The world is a big place a lot states have pretty good players.    I live in Florida but there are really good schools and tournaments in those flyover states. 

Your attitude is exactly why i left that state and never looked back. 

Fight or flight is real... you chose to run instead of fighting.  It's a typical response for people that think the grass is greener on the other side of the street when they could just as easily cultivate their own yard with some hard work.  You can't run forever though.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

35 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

You really do need to leave California sometimes.  The world is a big place a lot states have pretty good players.    I live in Florida but there are really good schools and tournaments in those flyover states. 

Your attitude is exactly why i left that state and never looked back. 

If we are talking about rankings and college recruiting no he doesn't need to leave California. California is a massive state with more college athletes than any other state, partially due to the huge population and a ridiculous amount of tournament opportunities. His child can get all the attention they need and not waste money travelling. There is no "need" to travel if you live in Cali or Florida. There is no "need" to travel across the country anywhere. Alabama is not a "golf" hotbed, it is also not a slouch by any means, but my son will not "need' to travel more than 4-5 hours to get recognition. He can play SJGTs, a few AJGAs, Future Masters, and a variety of other tournaments within easy driving distance. If you are travelling 5+ hours for golf tournaments on the regular now, and not for US Amateur level tourneys and the such, and you are not in an isolated state like the Dakotas or Montana you are doing it for other motives and just need to own up to it. If you are regularly hopping on a plane or driving 12 hours to play a tourney that is not a nationally ranked big deal you have other motives. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On JGS, I compare it to any other sport with a database of performances; track, cross country, tennis, racing, etc. It is great to see what others are doing but you can go down a rabbit hole of getting obsessed with what others are doing which is never a good thing. Use it as a guide to help you determine the tournaments to play and as a post mortem after a tournament to see how your kid did compared to fields. However, if you are sitting on JGS for hours trying to justify how your kid is as good as a kid ranked 500 spots higher because of your tea leaf reading you are going down a dark path and we have all seen this. Use it as a tool but don't get overly attached to it and end up like a golf dad version of this guy. 

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

If we are talking about rankings and college recruiting no he doesn't need to leave California. California is a massive state with more college athletes than any other state, partially due to the huge population and a ridiculous amount of tournament opportunities. His child can get all the attention they need and not waste money travelling. There is no "need" to travel if you live in Cali or Florida. There is no "need" to travel across the country anywhere. Alabama is not a "golf" hotbed, it is also not a slouch by any means, but my son will not "need' to travel more than 4-5 hours to get recognition. He can play SJGTs, a few AJGAs, Future Masters, and a variety of other tournaments within easy driving distance. If you are travelling 5+ hours for golf tournaments on the regular now, and not for US Amateur level tourneys and the such, and you are not in an isolated state like the Dakotas or Montana you are doing it for other motives and just need to own up to it. If you are regularly hopping on a plane or driving 12 hours to play a tourney that is not a nationally ranked big deal you have other motives. 

In Florida and this is most likely true of other states such as California and Texas you most likely will need to look at other states if you want to play D1.

I've seen high ranked juniors go to Ohio because there just isn't a spot or even worse they may not get to play on a team in Florida. 

Your correct there is no reason to travel for rankings if you live in a state with a lot golfers. However if you are looking for AJGA stars it makes a big difference. Kids up north tend to capture more stars then kids down south.  Also playing the AJGA game means you sort need to be able to travel a lot. We can't even get to play many AJGA's here in florida because there are way more kids applying then can play. You needed to be basically exempt to play the AJGA next week here.  So that means you have to do the qualifier but with 2023 getting priority most kids didn't get in.  So really only option is travel north and play as many as we can in a few months.

Edited by tiger1873

3 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

In Florida and this is most likely true of other states such as California and Texas you most likely will need to look at other states if you want to play D1.

I've seen high ranked juniors go to Ohio because there just isn't a spot or even worse they may not get to play on a team in Florida. 

Your correct there is no reason to travel for rankings if you live in a state with a lot golfers. However if you are looking for AJGA stars it makes a big difference. Kids up north tend to capture more stars then kids down south.  Also playing the AJGA game means you sort need to be able to travel a lot. We can't even get to qualifiers here in florida because there are way more kids applying then can play. You needed to be basically exempt to play the tournament.  As for the qualiferYou pretty much had to be a 2023 to get in the latest one.  So really only option is travel north and play as many as we can in a few months.

You don't have to play a lot of AJGAs at all to go D1, that is a massive misconception that AJGA wants you to buy into. As well, in 4-5 hours drive, as I said, you can play in multiple states in most states outside of Florida, Texas, and California which we have already determined is a different animal. In 4-5 hours we can hit Tennessee, all of Georgia, the Florida Panhandle, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Mississippi. In the South if you tear up SJGT and play a few other tournaments you would have no problem finding a D1 home in a heartbeat. 4-5 hours is not really "travelling" in terms of golf, if you are going cross country regularly you aren't doing it for competition (outside of if you live in Montana etc and you are kind of screwed), you are doing it for other motives, specific tournament hunting, point chasing, finding friendly fields, etc. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

You don't have to play a lot of AJGAs at all to go D1, that is a massive misconception that AJGA wants you to buy into. As well, in 4-5 hours drive, as I said, you can play in multiple states in most states outside of Florida, Texas, and California which we have already determined is a different animal. In 4-5 hours we can hit Tennessee, all of Georgia, the Florida Panhandle, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Mississippi. In the South if you tear up SJGT and play a few other tournaments you would have no problem finding a D1 home in a heartbeat. 4-5 hours is not really "travelling" in terms of golf, if you are going cross country regularly you aren't doing it for competition (outside of if you live in Montana etc and you are kind of screwed), you are doing it for other motives, specific tournament hunting, point chasing, finding friendly fields, etc. 

There are many avenues to college golf.  I don't think playing AJGA has ever really hurt anyone plus I think AJGA puts on really good events.  If you want to AJGA you just have to accept the fact that you have to travel a lot to play it.

by the way I don't know about  those kids in Montana though those USGA qualifiers are brutal and have super low scores seriously it's easier to qualify in Florida.

6 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

There are many avenues to college golf.  I don't think playing AJGA has ever really hurt anyone plus I think AJGA puts on really good events.  If you want to AJGA you just have to accept the fact that you have to travel a lot to play it.

by the way I don't know about  those kids in Montana though those USGA qualifiers are brutal and have super low scores seriously it's easier to qualify in Florida.

No one said AJGA hurts but it is not a necessity at all as you are painting it to be. AJGA wants people to think it is necessary so they can fill their coffers. An aside since you brought it up, scores do not equate ease of qualifying. C'mon Tiger, that is basic knowledge man. Courses are different, setups are different. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

No one said AJGA hurts but it is not a necessity at all as you are painting it to be. AJGA wants people to think it is necessary so they can fill their coffers. 

I don't disagree with you on that.  The travel part is really an excuse to leave the hot south florida summer this year.  Playing tournaments in Florida in July and August is not ideal.  

The problem is some these tours are actually worse then AJGA unless you are local and play the majority of tournaments.  Peggy Kirk a few years was great but the schedule this year is stupid. You pretty much have to play their system to play.  No way do I want to play 1 day events in Orlando or travel to North Carolina and Virginia to gain status to play their events in Georgia. I am guessing I could use JGS rankings to gain status but that is a pain.

I would play a few SJGT events but those I have to pay a tour membership and the fields are a lot smaller then FJT or Hurricane in Central Florida.

38 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I don't disagree with you on that.  The travel part is really an excuse to leave the hot south florida summer this year.  Playing tournaments in Florida in July and August is not ideal.  

The problem is some these tours are actually worse then AJGA unless you are local and play the majority of tournaments.  Peggy Kirk a few years was great but the schedule this year is stupid. You pretty much have to play their system to play.  No way do I want to play 1 day events in Orlando or travel to North Carolina and Virginia to gain status to play their events in Georgia. I am guessing I could use JGS rankings to gain status but that is a pain.

I would play a few SJGT events but those I have to pay a tour membership and the fields are a lot smaller then FJT or Hurricane in Central Florida.

Fields in SJGT are miles ahead of Hurricanes. 

• Like 1

Just now, BloctonGolf11 said:

Fields in SJGT are miles ahead of Hurricanes. 

Not if you are playing in Orlando they have heavy attendance from  Bender, Ledbetter and IMG and all the  Academies around Central Florida so it is very competitive.

I will say boys fields may not be as strong as FJT or even SJGT.  But if you are talking girls it very different because you get to play with a lot international kids and the fields are very large around 30-40 girls in a lot tournaments if there on the correct courses. 

The problem with Hurricane is the fields can vary so much region to region and if you're not near some golf academies  that play with them the fields can be weak.   

• Like 2

We are still early in this journey, but I don't really plan to leave the state to showcase my son's golf skill or lack thereof.   The only way I will fly somewhere is if he gets into some invitational or makes it to one of the larger USGA events.  As stated, we have plenty of competition here in California.  If he is good enough, a top D1 program will find him.  A lot of parents around here act like AJGA is the end all be all.  They fly all over the country, spends thousand and thousand of dollars just to finish 30th.  No thanks.  

• Like 1

These are fascinating threads, thank you everyone for your inputs.

I learn a lot from these, but the main take away is that I definitely don't care if my kids play college sports. It would be cool as a parent, but I'm not going to stress about it and I'm certainly not going to stress my kids about it. That is for them to decide when they are Jrs in HS.

However, there is a point made in this thread in that you should do whatever research is required to make sure that you put your kids in the best tournaments for their game so that you both can have some form of expectations for results.  i.e. what is the most fun, what is the right setup, what are the average scores for kids in the tournament? For my kid (13 years old) she doesn't want to play where she will just get her clock cleaned but wants a chance to win. Which is fine with me, having fun is the most important part. So that means USK and state JGA.

She qualified for a couple of different state open type tournaments with big fields (14-18 years old) and we went through the 2021 scores last night and I showed her that she would probably be more like top 15 in them and if she went in with that goal, she could have a good time.

So, if JGS lets you do some planning for your Jr's game then the $32 means nothing. It probably comes down to what kind of tournaments you are looking at. I have been able to just research past results for our benefit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

Not if you are playing in Orlando they have heavy attendance from  Bender, Ledbetter and IMG and all the  Academies around Central Florida so it is very competitive.

I will say boys fields may not be as strong as FJT or even SJGT.  But if you are talking girls it very different because you get to play with a lot international kids and the fields are very large around 30-40 girls in a lot tournaments if there on the correct courses. 

The problem with Hurricane is the fields can vary so much region to region and if you're not near some golf academies  that play with them the fields can be weak.   

Saying Hurricanes are stronger than SJGTs is just patently false. SJGT is not in Orlando for one thing and anywhere they are in the same market SJGT is MILES ahead of HJGT in quality of field. We all know you are an HJGT fanboy but come on, you yourself said it is a developmental tour and SJGT is definitely not a developmental tour. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

I would like to see the same research done for the ladies.