JGS subscription worth it?

1 hour ago, kekoa said:

We are still early in this journey, but I don't really plan to leave the state to showcase my son's golf skill or lack thereof.   The only way I will fly somewhere is if he gets into some invitational or makes it to one of the larger USGA events.  As stated, we have plenty of competition here in California.  If he is good enough, a top D1 program will find him.  A lot of parents around here act like AJGA is the end all be all.  They fly all over the country, spends thousand and thousand of dollars just to finish 30th.  No thanks.  

Had one parent locally tell me he has spent around $1,000 per AJGA star. 

• Sad 3
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

That is all well and good but it does not correlate to AJGA being a necessity to be a D1 golfer as some continue to propagandize. 

I still maintain that AJGA for your typical girl is a complete waste of time.  When I say typical I am talking not top 50 in your class and going to Stanford, Duke, or Wake.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

5 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

I still maintain that AJGA for your typical girl is a complete waste of time.  When I say typical I am talking not top 50 in your class and going to Stanford, Duke, or Wake.

This correct a girl does not need AJGA to play college golf.  I would go as far to say boys don’t either.

AJGA only makes sense if you can place well otherwise it will not matter. 

7 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Saying Hurricanes are stronger than SJGTs is just patently false. SJGT is not in Orlando for one thing and anywhere they are in the same market SJGT is MILES ahead of HJGT in quality of field. We all know you are an HJGT fanboy but come on, you yourself said it is a developmental tour and SJGT is definitely not a developmental tour. 

You most likely looking at boys fields not the girls. Hurricane in central Florida seems to have attracted a lot girls who play them in the last few years.   They get the same girls that play FJT but with field not separated by age like FJT. You also get kids who travel to orlando. 

In South Florida HJGT is useless and not worth playing.  So I get what you are saying. 

There is nothing wrong with SJGT but the fields typically have like 10-12 girls.  It not worth traveling the 5 or 6 hours to them and most the girls we see in FJT or Hurricane anyways.

7 hours ago, RmoorePE said:

These are fascinating threads, thank you everyone for your inputs.

I learn a lot from these, but the main take away is that I definitely don't care if my kids play college sports. It would be cool as a parent, but I'm not going to stress about it and I'm certainly not going to stress my kids about it. That is for them to decide when they are Jrs in HS.

However, there is a point made in this thread in that you should do whatever research is required to make sure that you put your kids in the best tournaments for their game so that you both can have some form of expectations for results.  i.e. what is the most fun, what is the right setup, what are the average scores for kids in the tournament? For my kid (13 years old) she doesn't want to play where she will just get her clock cleaned but wants a chance to win. Which is fine with me, having fun is the most important part. So that means USK and state JGA.

She qualified for a couple of different state open type tournaments with big fields (14-18 years old) and we went through the 2021 scores last night and I showed her that she would probably be more like top 15 in them and if she went in with that goal, she could have a good time.

So, if JGS lets you do some planning for your Jr's game then the $32 means nothing. It probably comes down to what kind of tournaments you are looking at. I have been able to just research past results for our benefit.

If they do want to play college golf, they are the ones that have to love it.  Three things to do in college - 1) School - non negotiable-they will graduate!  2) Golf - It is like a job with weight room, practice, qualifying, travel, tournaments, and 3) social life/having fun.......  They can do about 2 and a half of these three.....  Gotta love it!!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tssgj65 said:

If they do want to play college golf, they are the ones that have to love it.  Three things to do in college - 1) School - non negotiable-they will graduate!  2) Golf - It is like a job with weight room, practice, qualifying, travel, tournaments, and 3) social life/having fun.......  They can do about 2 and a half of these three.....  Gotta love it!!!

Kid played in the Billy Horschel AJGA.  Billy told the kids basically the same thing.  When you are an athlete at college there is 1) Academics 2) Golf 3) Social.  Told them they had time for two of them, but not all 3.

54 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Kid played in the Billy Horschel AJGA.  Billy told the kids basically the same thing.  When you are an athlete at college there is 1) Academics 2) Golf 3) Social.  Told them they had time for two of them, but not all 3.

Agree, but social is still there - whether socializing with girls in class or Friday/Saturday nights...... There is still some social....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tssgj65 said:

Agree, but social is still there - whether socializing with girls in class or Friday/Saturday nights...... There is still some social....

There has to be.  I think what he was saying, you can't be GREAT at all 3.  I was great at Social in school.  Thursday Night at "The Pub", Friday afternoon at "The Phyrst", Friday night at a Party, Saturday Night BYOB at "Late Night Library, Sunday Sleeping all day.  I was great at Social.

33 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

There has to be.  I think what he was saying, you can't be GREAT at all 3.  I was great at Social in school.  Thursday Night at "The Pub", Friday afternoon at "The Phyrst", Friday night at a Party, Saturday Night BYOB at "Late Night Library, Sunday Sleeping all day.  I was great at Social.

I hear you!  Wish I had that guidance when I was in school.....  Some get it and some don't.  The fun still needs to be there, that's why I say 2 and a half..... BUT know you are going to sacrifice to play a sport - gotta love it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

The good ole college days. Weekend starts on Thu night. Now, every night is just Netflix. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Medson said:

The good ole college days. Weekend starts on Thu night. Now, every night is just Netflix. 

You are 100% correct.  Got any recommendations?  Wife and I are looking to start something new once we finish the DVR of all the Yellowstone seasons...  lol

I don't know whether to laugh or be sad at your comment...  lol  

Edited by heavy_hitter

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

You are 100% correct.  Got any recommendations?  Wife and I are looking to start something new once we finish the DVR of all the Yellowstone seasons...  lol

Bridgerton has Julie Andrews but I'm not sure if that's your cup of tea.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

Have you heard a show called "The Short Game" on Netflix? It's really good. I wonder what those kids are up to nowadays? Just kidding ...

"Formula 1: Drive to Survive" is good. I heard Yellowstone is good. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Medson said:

Have you heard a show called "The Short Game" on Netflix? It's really good. I wonder what those kids are up to nowadays? Just kidding ...

"Formula 1: Drive to Survive" is good. I heard Yellowstone is good. 

Funny because a lot of these kids play out of South Florida.  I kind of keep up with all of them.  Pano is definitely the most successful.  The boy's have been the typical scenario of other kids catching up to them physically.  Still nice players, but have been passed up.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:55 AM, heavy_hitter said:

2.5 is laundry and study. 😉  Social is maybe a slice of pizza.  I think the most social my son did this past fall was before their first round of a tournament.  The whole team was in the coach's room having a putting contest.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 12:35 PM, heavy_hitter said:

Red Notice

Don't look up

Cobra Kai

Ozark

ClickBait

True Story

You

Outer Banks

Bruised

Intrusion

Virgin River

I usually watch something at night while in Bed.  Helps me sleep.

26 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

Red Notice

Don't look up

Cobra Kai

Ozark

ClickBait

True Story

You

Outer Banks

Bruised

Intrusion

Virgin River

I usually watch something at night while in Bed.  Helps me sleep.

I watch Gomer Pyle and Andy Griffith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mrshinsa said:

Sounds about right...

$300 for tournament fee

$300 for 2 night hotel

$300 for food + gas 

$100 for practice round

This is assuming you don't fly 

It’s similar to some other tours.  One in another state has higher fees than that for two day tournaments.  AJGA includes practice round.   Hotel and gas are the same for any other tournament.    They are run well and well respected by coaches.  

• Like 2

Alright, so this conversation seems to be happening in several threads and I have a few questions. Basically built around rankings, recruiting, tournament selection, etc. I know I will get a variety of answers, but I’m curious. I’ve never been a big rankings guy in anything. Always believed if you can play then you  can play, but I am interested to hear from some more veteran junior golf parents. Im a competitive golf noob

1. Is JGS considered THE ranking system? I’m assuming there are other? This will be our first year playing in tournaments that give JGS points (I guess points?) They are 2 day with JGS listed next to them. Sneds Tour TN for reference

2. Do rankings reset each year or is it cumulative and built up over years? 
3. can a poor ranking early in career make it harder to pull that ranking up? I guess the question is if a player improves a ton over a season or 2, would they have been better off not playing in ranking tournaments prior to the improvements or does it have no effect?

4. I’ve seen scoring differential mentioned and that makes sense, does this effect rankings? Is strength of field a bigger factor than score? If a kid shoots a low score on a tough course but the field isn’t strong how does this translate?

5. If a kid can play, puts up legit scores on a state tour like Sneds, is that enough to play in college? Or is it necessary to play in some of the more regional tour type tournaments?

6. What age would most of this start to really matter. I’ve been involved in other sports and usually somewhere around soph/junior year in Hs is when recruiting starts to pick up, same for golf?

7. How in the hell do you afford junior golf! 

I'll attempt to answer some these but there are no absolutes in golf.

1. Is JGS considered THE ranking system? I’m assuming there are other? This will be our first year playing in tournaments that give JGS points (I guess points?) They are 2 day with JGS listed next to them. Sneds Tour TN for reference

There are different rankings for juniors and amateurs. You pretty much have JGS, Golfweek, and AJGA Rolex. There is also the WAGR but that is more for college kids and higher ranked juniors. 

At the end of the day most kids start out being ranked in JGS. It' important because you have to do better to start playing in better tournaments..

2. Do rankings reset each year or is it cumulative and built up over years? 

Rolling last 12 months for JGS.

3. can a poor ranking early in career make it harder to pull that ranking up? I guess the question is if a player improves a ton over a season or 2, would they have been better off not playing in ranking tournaments prior to the improvements or does it have no effect?

It sort of depends for the most part that record will stay with your kid for a full year. If it's the bottom 25% of scores it simply doesn't matter.  You want add lower scores to increase your ranking and higher scores to drop.

4. I’ve seen scoring differential mentioned and that makes sense, does this effect rankings? Is strength of field a bigger factor than score? If a kid shoots a low score on a tough course but the field isn’t strong how does this translate?

Read the different thread it just depends on lots of factors.  What JGS says and how it actually works can be very different.

You want to play the best field with highest course ratings and short the lowest score though to get the best results.

5. If a kid can play, puts up legit scores on a state tour like Sneds, is that enough to play in college? Or is it necessary to play in some of the more regional tour type tournaments?

I think this depends on what college you are shooting for. If your looking for top D1 then no you will need to do AJGA.

6. What age would most of this start to really matter. I’ve been involved in other sports and usually somewhere around soph/junior year in Hs is when recruiting starts to pick up, same for golf?

Anything before middle school is just for fun. Once you get to middle school you need to decide if they want focus on golf. This the time you should explore your options.  Perfect time to start doing 2 day tournaments and travel a bit to see if they enjoy competive golf. A lot kids don't but some eat it up.

7. How in the hell do you afford junior golf! 

I don't know how I always find money for it.  I need to start asking for donations from everyone like some do.

• Like 1

How in the hell do you afford Junior Golf?

It is expensive sure but not nearly as expensive if you are playing a logical schedule of 8 - 10 tournaments a year and not two dozen or more travelling around a huge chunk of the country. All sports have gotten insane to play at a high level. If I told you what a friend of mine shelled out on high level soccer last year it would make you blush. Another friend of mine shelled out double on tournament baseball than I did last year on golf. Sadly, the current world we live in it is hard to not to spend money but if you focus your schedule, play close to home, as most can and be just fine from a recruiting standpoint, and are logical with expenses it can be reasonable.

Edited by BloctonGolf11

"5. If a kid can play, puts up legit scores on a state tour like Sneds, is that enough to play in college? Or is it necessary to play in some of the more regional tour type tournaments?

I think this depends on what college you are shooting for. If your looking for top D1 then no you will need to do AJGA."

This is simply not true. There are numerous players at top schools around the country that did not play AJGA. Go through the rosters and you can find them all over the place.

You do not need to do AJGA to play top D1. This is a sandwich that AJGA wants you to bite down on. AJGA is not the end all be all. Does it help, of course it can! However, saying you have to play it is just not true. If you have a high JGS, you are winning reputable respected tournaments, and doing things like winning your state junior tournament you do not need AJGA to get recruited by big programs. 

@Movingday

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

"5. If a kid can play, puts up legit scores on a state tour like Sneds, is that enough to play in college? Or is it necessary to play in some of the more regional tour type tournaments?

I think this depends on what college you are shooting for. If your looking for top D1 then no you will need to do AJGA."

This is simply not true. There are numerous players at top schools around the country that did not play AJGA. Go through the rosters and you can find them all over the place.

You do not need to do AJGA to play top D1. This is a sandwich that AJGA wants you to bite down on. AJGA is not the end all be all. Does it help, of course it can! However, saying you have to play it is just not true. 

@Movingday

I haven’t seen a top D1 program sign a girl who hasn’t played a heavy load of AJGA.

The ones that didn’t were international players but played in big events.

Plenty of schools recruit with kids who never play AJGA but there also not the top programs.  People define top programs differently my definition is a top 20  school.

For boys it has to be worse.

4 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

How in the hell do you afford Junior Golf?

It is expensive sure but not nearly as expensive if you are playing a logical schedule of 8 - 10 tournaments a year and not two dozen or more travelling around a huge chunk of the country. All sports have gotten insane to play at a high level. If I told you what a friend of mine shelled out on high level soccer last year it would make you blush. Another friend of mine shelled out double on tournament baseball than I did last year on golf. Sadly, the current world we live in it is hard to not to spend money but if you focus your schedule, play close to home, as most can and be just fine from a recruiting standpoint, and are logical with expenses it can be reasonable.

8-10 tournaments a year? That doesn’t seem like very many. How often are you playing? 
And thank you for the reply 

Edited by Movingday

15 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

I haven’t seen a top D1 program sign a girl who hasn’t played a heavy load of AJGA.

The ones that didn’t were international players but played in big events.

Plenty of schools recruit with kids who never play AJGA but there also not the top programs.  People define top programs differently my definition is a top 20  school.

For boys it has to be worse.

If you haven't seen a top D1 program sign girls who haven't played a ton of AJGA you aren't looking very hard Tiger, they are everywhere. Take a couple of minutes and look through the SEC and you will see plenty. You want this to be true because it fits your narrative but facts are stubborn things Tiger. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Movingday said:

8-10 tournaments a year? That doesn’t seem like very many. How often are you playing? 
And thank you for the reply 

My son is 12 so we are just now hitting the point of when tournaments matter, and yeah sorry fellas but that regional win at 8 years old doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

We will keep a schedule of 8 - 10 multi day tournaments through the time he graduates High School. I don't consider one dayers you do close to your house as "tournaments" as those are just essentially tuning up and keeping yourself sharp. I am not going to spam tournaments and drive him around the country every weekend to play golf just to boost points. It is not necessary. Establish a resume that shows the level of golf you play and are capable of playing and it will take care of itself. This is partly because golf is a massive secondary to my son when it comes to college plans. His job is school, golf is second and he knows that. He has no desire at the moment to play high level college golf. He loves golf and is learning to really love competitive golf. The money you get from a solid academic scholarship will dwarf athletic scholarships anyway. However, you can find massive numbers of kids who are playing high level D1 golf who stuck to 8 - 12 ranked tournaments a year. Around here we have a wonderful tour, the SJGT. He will play 5-8 of those a year, the state junior, and a few other independent big tournaments and call it a day every year. If he wants to try to qualify for an AJGA here and there, as we have several within close distance, we will but we will not go trudging around the country chasing AJGA stars.