Callaway Rogue ST Pro Irons

m_w

On 10/3/2023 at 8:30 AM, rukahs said:

Anyone still gaming?

Just grabbed a set and to me they're the sexiest clubs I've ever seen. And forgiving...? well I'm sold....

Callaway Rogue ST Pro Iron Review | Golf Monthly

Yes, these are a great addition to my southern bag. Very solid performers.

• Like 2

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

• 3 weeks later...

Joined the ST Pro club this week, I had found a like new set with Steelfibers from Japan for fraction of what it would cost if one ordered them new.  Shot my lowest score for 9 holes in recent memory.  

I have tried numerous hollow irons in the past and hated the feel and results, Ping i500 and 525's come to mind. Big Ping fan but those were extremely disappointing for my swing. 

Callaway out did themselves developing the Urethane Microsphere Goo, the  low centre of gravity and  slightly toe side is a wonderful combination for my ---- swing.  

I had tried these previously at one of the box stores, was very surprised with them but I was gun shy after all the other hollow iron disappointments. A low single digit friend ordered a set of Paradym's with Steelfibers, ridiculously priced in Canada with the upgraded shafts. North of 3 bills, ouch!!!  HE loves them thou, says they are like cheating.  So I started looking at the St's at a 1/4 of the price with the upgraded shafts, I am blown away with the results,  hi and straight.  If this keeps up I have a ton of gear to unload, and have stopped searching for the NEXT set. That in it's self speaks volume's....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, boggyman said:

With the stock AW being 48*, what’s your wedge setup after that for those who haven’t bent the irons weak a few degrees? 54/58 or 52/58? Thanks!

I've always found 6* is acceptable for wedge gaps. However personally I use 60, 54, 48. For the 48* wedge, I ended up selling the ST Pro and going with Vokey SM9.  The SM9s offer amazing control.

Edit: my gaps are about 15-20 yards in warm weather.  65, 80, 100, 115.

Edited by brick101
  • Thanks 1

How is the feel on these compared to say a standard Apex iron? 

sorry if repetitive question for thread. I'm mainly curious if they have a satisfying sound/feel compared to Apex since i've played them. I know they can't be exactly compared to forged as they aren't. IMO Callaway hasn't been known for making soft cast clubs. 

Edited by Lftygolfnut

19 minutes ago, Lftygolfnut said:

sorry if repetitive question for thread. I'm mainly curious if they have a satisfying sound/feel compared to Apex since i've played them. I know they can't be exactly compared to forged as they aren't. IMO Callaway hasn't been known for making soft cast clubs. 

They are clicky and somewhat harsh, but the sweet spot is big compared to the Apex Pro 2021. 

I'm interested to hit the Apex Pro 24. https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2024-apex-pro.html

1 hour ago, brick101 said:

I've always found 6* is acceptable for wedge gaps. However personally I use 60, 54, 48. For the 48* wedge, I ended up selling the ST Pro and going with Vokey SM9.  The SM9s offer amazing control.

Edit: my gaps are about 15-20 yards in warm weather.  65, 80, 100, 115.

AW/52*/56*/60* for me.

56 minutes ago, Lftygolfnut said:

I haven't found them to be any more harsh or clicky than other irons I've played.  They were on par with my Taylormade PSis that I played for quite a while.  Found that the lower lofted irons are a bit harder to hit and definitely a lower launch than my previous set.

• Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

On 10/27/2023 at 1:08 PM, boggyman said:

With the stock AW being 48*, what’s your wedge setup after that for those who haven’t bent the irons weak a few degrees? 54/58 or 52/58? Thanks!

I use 50/ 56  wedges with no gapping issues.  And only use the pitching wedges, no 48 AW.

Edited by puttingmatt
  • Thanks 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

For the price and performance, the Rogue ST Pros are amazing. Right now I see a set of 7 clubs on Callaway Pre Owned for 833 with 20% off, taking the total down to 667 before tax. 

My ST Pro set is only 5 clubs. 6i to PW. It's perfect for me. I use a 9-wood instead of the 5i or 4i, and a Vokey SM9 48*.

This set has helped me learn to launch a 6i higher then I ever could before. 

I've hit the Apex 2019, 2021 and TCB and will can say for certain the ST Pros are more clicky and feel more harsh.  Graphite shafts help mitigate this. Once I switched from the Project X flighted 105 steel to Graphite then I was able to really enjoy the clubs. 

Edited by brick101
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone try the stock Tensei White stiff or regular shafts? Looking to buy a set of the these irons, and need graphite.

I'm thinking these are not the real Tensei White I see on MCA's website. The shafts on the sight are listed as taper tip and are heavier and have the ascending mass weighting. More a made for shaft, which I'm hoping is a little softer.

Edited by gdb99

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a set of heads and trying to figure out my gapping. Haven't built/tested yet, which will obviously give a ton of info, but wanted a sanity check here. The AW at 48* and being a "longer"iron...is everyone's wxperience on dicstance vs. a Vokey, etc. wedge of the similar loft?

I have a 50/54/58 setup I really like, and I like hitting mostly full shots with my wedges. I Run Dr-3w-HW and then 5-PW in these, which leaves me room for all three existing wedges if the gapping works out. In my mind, coming from a 46* PW which gets me 135 yards, and a 50* vokey at 120-125...I'm thinking the 48* AW in the ST Pro's may end up essentially being that 130-135 club?

5 hours ago, umassgolfer said:

Just picked up a set of heads and trying to figure out my gapping. Haven't built/tested yet, which will obviously give a ton of info, but wanted a sanity check here. The AW at 48* and being a "longer"iron...is everyone's wxperience on dicstance vs. a Vokey, etc. wedge of the similar loft?

I have a 50/54/58 setup I really like, and I like hitting mostly full shots with my wedges. I Run Dr-3w-HW and then 5-PW in these, which leaves me room for all three existing wedges if the gapping works out. In my mind, coming from a 46* PW which gets me 135 yards, and a 50* vokey at 120-125...I'm thinking the 48* AW in the ST Pro's may end up essentially being that 130-135 club?

That’s a reasonable range. The ST Pro will go higher and because of that will gain a little more distance than a traditional 48, and could work out just right in replacing the 46 for you. Might need to tweak loft a bit, but maybe not and no big deal either way. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

10 hours ago, umassgolfer said:

I am in a similar boat to you and will likely drop my 50-degree in favor of the AW. The best way to test is to hit some shots with each one and choose whichever clubs make the most sense for gapping. 

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5*

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4i

Srixon Z785 5-A

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, 60

Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

One you have them ready come back and let us know the distances you hit PW, 48 AW st pro, & 50 vokey. Others will be interested. 

Personally I'd probably try a 46 vokey and skip the st pro approach wedge but it depends how you like it. You can always trade the AW for 46 vokey later.

Edited by brick101

10 hours ago, brick101 said:

One you have them ready come back and let us know the distances you hit PW, 48 AW st pro, & 50 vokey. Others will be interested. 

Personally I'd probably try a 46 vokey and skip the st pro approach wedge but it depends how you like it. You can always trade the AW for 46 vokey later.

Yep, will do. Have to do some amateur fitting for which shafts go in them first. I am attracted to the set AW since I generally use that club for full swings, and if anything was looking for sets ideally with 50* AW to replace the 50* Vokey. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really love mine but wanted to see if anybody had come across this issue. I keep wanting to go back to forged for the feel and workability. While these are super hot sometimes I feel like they are too fast for their own good, is this more ideal for someone needing boosted irons at around 15HC? I'm a 7 and my iron game is pretty good, but do not know if it's becuase I game these or if it's just a decent swing I'm putting on it? 

Going to take these out and a set of Callaway x forged to see what the deal is. IT would hurt to sell these, but honestly looking forward may not be a huge fan of the feel as I hone my swing. 

Anybody drop these for a CB or forged players (non distance model) 

50 minutes ago, SUPERG said:

I really love mine but wanted to see if anybody had come across this issue. I keep wanting to go back to forged for the feel and workability. While these are super hot sometimes I feel like they are too fast for their own good, is this more ideal for someone needing boosted irons at around 15HC? I'm a 7 and my iron game is pretty good, but do not know if it's becuase I game these or if it's just a decent swing I'm putting on it? 

Going to take these out and a set of Callaway x forged to see what the deal is. IT would hurt to sell these, but honestly looking forward may not be a huge fan of the feel as I hone my swing. 

Still sticking with mine for at least this season.  I don't feel that they're any hotter than other hollow-body sets out there and the front-to-back dispersion (simulator & on-course) is consistent.  As an example, recent Trackman showed 2.3 yards front to back with 7 iron, 3.2 with 5 iron, and 3.7 with 9 iron.

The biggest thing I notice is that the longer irons 4/5/6 are a bit harder to hit than the PSis that I came out of.  Have a lot of difficulty getting them in the air and end up with a lot of high toe-y shots, but I think that's probably more me than anything else.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

5 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

Still sticking with mine for at least this season.  I don't feel that they're any hotter than other hollow-body sets out there and the front-to-back dispersion (simulator & on-course) is consistent.  As an example, recent Trackman showed 2.3 yards front to back with 7 iron, 3.2 with 5 iron, and 3.7 with 9 iron.

The biggest thing I notice is that the longer irons 4/5/6 are a bit harder to hit than the PSis that I came out of.  Have a lot of difficulty getting them in the air and end up with a lot of high toe-y shots, but I think that's probably more me than anything else.

Funny you say that about the long irons, the 4-5 for me come out super low. They go a good distance for me and get to where they need to go but the elevation does not hold the green from that far out. I have used a 4H time to time to help with that. Again could be the swing like you said but a lot of folks don't really carry a 4 iron much anymore too

3 hours ago, SUPERG said:

Funny you say that about the long irons, the 4-5 for me come out super low. They go a good distance for me and get to where they need to go but the elevation does not hold the green from that far out. I have used a 4H time to time to help with that. Again could be the swing like you said but a lot of folks don't really carry a 4 iron much anymore too

I'm actually thinking about putting the Rogue ST Max 4/5 irons with Axiom in the bag and playing 6-AW in the Rogue ST Pros and moving the DHY out of my bag.  For the most part, I'm using 4 iron/5 iron on short par 4s or 2nd shots into par 5s.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

On 3/19/2024 at 3:40 PM, SUPERG said:

Recently been toying with new irons. Tested T150, T200, MP245, MP243...

...I still need the ball speed help. Probably will stick with the ST Pro for now, although I really want to test T200 with the current shaft (they didn't have it) and Apex Pro '24 just for giggles.

On 3/19/2024 at 3:40 PM, SUPERG said:

Yup, 12 handicap here. It’s why the Z785’s are back in the bag for now.

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5*

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4i

Srixon Z785 5-A

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, 60

Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

1 hour ago, rrheisler said:

If I could find a set of Z785s (or better yet, a combo 585/785 set) with long Modus 105s...I'd be out some pennies in a hurry.

That said I really want to get my paws on Apex Pro 24. 

I hit the Apex Pro 24 at a local shop a week or two ago and loved them. Last year I played the Rogue ST Pro and liked the performance, but absolutely hated the feel/sound. The new Apex Pros have very similar shaping to the Rogues—also, I played old X16 irons for years before the Rogue ST Pros, so Callaway's shaping is what I'm used to—but they had much, much better feel and sound. I'm currently hitting Wilson Staff CBs, which feel unbelievable, but I could benefit from some more power. The Apex Pros felt like a great compromise between the Wilsons and the Rogues, and I'm desperate to get my hands on a set.

• Like 1

Driver:  Cobra Aerojet 9.0 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65S)

5 Wood: Callaway Apex UW '21 (19°) (HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black 70g 5.5)

4-PW: Callaway Rogue ST Pro (Project X Rifle 105 6.0)

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 (50°10S, 54°12W, 58°6T)

Putter: Ping Anser 2023 (34.25")

Ball: Wilson Staff Model

Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite