Callaway Rogue ST Pro Irons

m_w

1st round tomorrow morning at 7:12, going out cold with just the normal stretching routine before I leave the house. Looks like I am going as a single which is fine and I might be 1st off so I can get a couple of holes ahead and then try some different shots into the greens.

Going to be fun with the new Driver / shaft combo also in the bag, not expecting much out of the shaft choice but who knows. Might bring the Atmos Blue and Fuji pro just in case I don't like the shaft.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

20 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

My entire order arrived today! 

My irons were bent two degrees weak, and wow, they look super sleek. I’ll snap some pics this weekend. The address position is the best I’ve seen in a Callaway iron since the X14-18 Pro Series days. The lack of offset is beautiful.  

7CA4CB7F-D6AF-4631-A129-AAFCD9E5AFAC.jpeg

6A9B50A4-9482-489A-A542-D8F65F2F1DB5.jpeg

Have you hit the A wedge yet? 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I bought the Rogue ST Max OS 6-pw and the Pro A wedge. The OS Max 6-pw arrived to day and I was very pleasantly surprised at how quick it was. I hit the PW in the back yard and they are very accurate from what I can tell. I want the Pro A wedge for greenside controlled shots. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

1 hour ago, platgof said:

Have you hit the A wedge yet? 

Just into my net. I’ll get on my launch monitor for a full gapping session tomorrow. 

Here are a few pics comparing my A wedge (bent to 50*) compared to my TM MG3 50*. The Rogue has measurably less offset, is much more compact, similar sole profile, and feel and sound are indistinguishable. 

D48A234F-598B-4723-BFD0-4C79132B652A.jpeg

44F8CA0F-189B-47F3-BADC-F721EEE292B9.jpeg

56FF4A81-C068-4CAE-AD31-D5F85F7C1FB9.jpeg

73381880-44C4-49F5-B3DC-719C6F7909C3.jpeg

25F3AD75-A990-42E4-9CCC-A035FF592FB9.jpeg

1st round went very well, despite having the back killing me I hit a lot of greens and the distance is on par with the APEX 21, maybe a bit longer due to better contact. This time of year I am playing on very hard fairways with dormant grass, but the interaction for me was much better than the APEX 21. 

Could be the sharper leading edge and a bit narrower sole, but they worked really well for me today. I could not tell any difference in feel from the forged APEX 21 to these, on well struck shots they just felt good. Going to play again tomorrow and hope the back feels better, pretty much just an arm swing today but that is really not far off my normal swing just less powerful. 

• Like 1

SLED # 1  35.5

19 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Here are a few pics comparing the A wedge to my P790 A wedge. The P790 feels and sounds a bit more clicky. Also, the sole is noticeably larger and has noticeably different turf interaction (more bounce) off the mat. 

A8F2E59D-9FA3-4EB9-B049-3E6057C92118.jpeg

617FEE09-2C67-4612-86BD-E9383EC89BDA.jpeg

C8687321-A4FF-4410-9379-585F62A771D7.jpeg

E4C9D20A-AE77-498E-9BD9-AA7000453FA9.jpeg

940A667C-BCA8-4959-951D-9775D6873C75.jpeg

Thanks, really appreciate it!

Bag is in overhaul mode

I am really intrigued with these.  Been playing the original (pre gen 1) pxg’s for the past six years. These are somewhere between a “T” and “P” - probably closer to the P. 

where do you guys think these fall compared to others?

P790 or P770

pxg P or T

i500

mp20 hmb / 225’s

something else?

I was thinking of doing the PXG gen 4 P’s. Personally, I think the P’s are much more forgiving than the T’s - especially on toe balls. Some of these other offerings are making me reconsider. Lots if good looking choices. 

44 minutes ago, prouse25 said:

I am really intrigued with these.  Been playing the original (pre gen 1) pxg’s for the past six years. These are somewhere between a “T” and “P” - probably closer to the P. 

P790 or P770

pxg P or T

i500

mp20 hmb / 225’s

something else?

I was thinking of doing the PXG gen 4 P’s. Personally, I think the P’s are much more forgiving than the T’s - especially on toe balls. Some of these other offerings are making me reconsider. Lots if good looking choices. 

These are between P and XP - pretty far away from the Ts in regards to footprint and forgiveness. P790 are more forgiving, I’d say these slot between 770 and 790. 225s is a good comparison. I’ve never played the i500 so can’t offer commentary on those. 

I just did a fitting for PXGs and the Rogue Pros lean much closer to the Gen 4 Ts than the Ps. They share nothing in common with the XP. 

In my opinion these fall into the Apex Pro/Forged CB space and have a much more players profile than the Apex. Comparing to other irons I’ve owned and played extensively the Pros are much more compact than P790s and ZX5s. They have more forgiveness than a ZX7 and T100, a slightly larger sole, but similar in they have low offset. 

In the market right now I think the Pros are direct competitors to the Mizuno 225, Taylormade P770, and 0311Ts. ZX5s, T200s, P790s, 0311Ps, i210s, are all more chunky. 

They are tweeners. They pack a ton of game improvement tech into a players profile iron. I think they’ll be a great fit for folks in the 0-15 (aspiring to get to 10) handicap players.  

My only knock on the clubs is the use of chrome. I would’ve loved these in 1998, but they look out of place in todays golf world. I don’t even care about the back, I think they have great bag appeal, but really wish the faces would’ve been satin. 

Edited by Cactus Jack
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

I just did a fitting for PXGs and the Rogue Pros lean much closer to the Gen 4 Ts than the Ps. They share nothing in common with the XP. 

In my opinion these fall into the Apex Pro/Forged CB space and have a much more players profile than the Apex. Comparing to other irons I’ve owned and played extensively the Pros are much more compact than P790s and ZX5s. They have more forgiveness than a ZX7 and T100, a slightly larger sole, but similar in they have low offset. 

In the market right now I think the Pros are direct competitors to the Mizuno 225, Taylormade P770, and 0311Ts. ZX5s, T200s, P790s, 0311Ps, i210s, are all more chunky. 

They are tweeners. They pack a ton of game improvement tech into a players profile iron. I think they’ll be a great fit for folks in the 0-15 (aspiring to get to 10) handicap players.  

My only knock on the clubs is the use of chrome. I would’ve loved these in 1998, but they look out of place in todays golf world. I don’t even care about the back, I think they have great bag appeal, but really wish the faces would’ve been satin. 

i was able to swing a few times with theses on our sim. I agree with your assessment of where they sit in the market. I do seem to get better ball speed numbers with these than the PXG T’s - even better numbers than my original PXG’s. 

big question is how much performance loss is there on bad swings. For me, this is where the P’s way out perform the T’s. 

15 hours ago, prouse25 said:

P790 or P770

pxg P or T

i500

mp20 hmb / 225’s

something else?

I agree these are between the T and P of the PXG line, but I think they are closer to the T. The P is a pretty long blade with a thicker sole. I consider the T more midsized than compact. I think the Rogue ST Pro looks better from address than either of them. 

The Rogue ST Pro and Mizuno 225 are close competitors. May be close to the same size but the 225 seemed smaller to me. Could easily game either and got almost the same numbers but I got better dispersion with the 225 so went with those. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

56 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

I agree these are between the T and P of the PXG line, but I think they are closer to the T. The P is a pretty long blade with a thicker sole. I consider the T more midsized than compact. I think the Rogue ST Pro looks better from address than either of them. 

The Rogue ST Pro and Mizuno 225 are close competitors. May be close to the same size but the 225 seemed smaller to me. Could easily game either and got almost the same numbers but I got better dispersion with the 225 so went with those. 

Had some simulator time this afternoon and hit both the st pro and the mizuno 225. Not a completely fair comparison - mizuno s had my current SteelFiber shaft and the st pro had a graphite tensei shaft.  More consistent ball speed / ball flight / dispersion with the mizuno.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am not sure they are any better than my six year old pxg’s. 

I only got to play one round with mine and I was in a lot of back pain, but it left an impression on me and I can't wait to get back out with them. Should be able to play Thursday and should be in a lot better shape to give them a better test, but I think it speaks to the forgivness that even with a 40% swing I hit a lot of greens and they just felt good. 

• Like 1

SLED # 1  35.5

Thank you for the address pics!! These look great and I’m really tempted especially at the price relative to the 770/790’s.

I’m curious about the shaft, does anyone know anymore? What kind of shafts it compares to?

First time I’ve seen it. Is it legit or a cheap shaft to keep the base price down?

cheers!

8 hours ago, mhedwards93 said:

Thank you for the address pics!! These look great and I’m really tempted especially at the price relative to the 770/790’s.

I’m curious about the shaft, does anyone know anymore? What kind of shafts it compares to?

First time I’ve seen it. Is it legit or a cheap shaft to keep the base price down?

cheers!

These are available from Carl's Golfland

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.18.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.19.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.19.55 PM.png

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

On 2/16/2022 at 2:16 PM, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Why no feel talk? Howd they feel? I love callaway irons but i find most of them feel just ok. Not particularly soft ever.

So how are these?

I think they feel great, but then again I am pretty deaf so it is all in the hands to me. Some folks claim sound is feel which I cannot relate too, if it feels good with marginal contact and like nothing flushed that is perfect to me.

• Like 1

SLED # 1  35.5

16 hours ago, Jim53 said:

I think they feel great, but then again I am pretty deaf so it is all in the hands to me. Some folks claim sound is feel which I cannot relate too, if it feels good with marginal contact and like nothing flushed that is perfect to me.

I agree feel isnt sound to me. They are too seperate things. I hate irons that feel hard even on center contact. I like irons that feel outstanding when flushed and very good on miss hits. Obviously way toe or heel should feel obviously not great but it dont have to sting imo.

Got to test these during a fitting. Hit ZX5, Apex, P790, 225, T200, etc.

For me, the feel was just about perfect. Slightly more solid than the Mizuno, but it was close on feel. I just consistently hit these very, very well (as with Apex, but these won out). Ordered with Modus 105 stiff and at D6 for SW about a month ago and now just waiting for it to arrive…

Played my 3rd round today and was feeling better (back issues) hit a lot of greens and these are drop and stop even the 6 iron. Very good distance and don't seem to want to go left which was a problem with the APEX 21. 

So far not a big difference distance wise from the Standard APEX 21 (maybe a half club longer) but to me these feel a lot better, playing the same shafts as the APEX 21 but I seem to hit these a lot better which would account for a bit more distance. 

I am seeing much better ball flight in the 5-7, these just get up easier and stay on line. If I could make some putts it would have been a sub 80 round, but at least I had some looks at birdies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SLED # 1  35.5

Anyone know if the hosels are bored for 0.355 taper-tips or 0.370 parallel tips?

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine in about a week ago (total turnaround time of 3 weeks from order to delivery). I like them in that there's no confusing a bad strike with a good one -- you know exactly what's coming when you get the feedback in your hands. Not as harsh as the feedback from the old 1970s era Hogan's I learned on on a cold day, but you get the picture.

I'm about a club longer with these versus the 790s I played last season. I attribute that to just better contact with the thinner sole matching up with my delivery characteristics.

Build was: 5-AW, Nippon Modus 105 Stiff, Lamkin Crossline midsize, swing weighted to D5.