Callaway Rogue ST Pro Irons

m_w

Absolutely love these irons, even the 5 iron off hard fairways gets up easy and has great distance for me. Hit knockdowns with just about all of them today with the wind and for the most part one hop and stop or just stop dead by the mark.

The Catalyst 100S feels so good even with short swings with lots of clothes on, had this in the last 3 sets and don't have to look any further for my choppy swing.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

Have these in the bag right now and I would call them Apex 21 B's. I LOVE them. Had an Apex 21/TCB combo going and these BLEW them outta the water. I bent the 4-6 1.5 weak and the 7-P 2 weak. Launch went up, spin is perfect and im 1/2 club longer through the set. Apples to Apples with my Apex 21 experiment from last summer with a better looking head (to me) 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, JohnnyCallaway said:

Have these in the bag right now and I would call them Apex 21 B's. I LOVE them. Had an Apex 21/TCB combo going and these BLEW them outta the water. I bent the 4-6 1.5 weak and the 7-P 2 weak. Launch went up, spin is perfect and im 1/2 club longer through the set. Apples to Apples with my Apex 21 experiment from last summer with a better looking head (to me) 

Please release a satin version of these heads 🤤

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Htk084 said:

Hmm these look VERY interesting.   Do they look similar in shape to the Apex?   I love the apex 

They do. Right in between Apex and Apex Pro. They look really good. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 3/13/2022 at 9:25 PM, JohnnyCallaway said:

Between the pros and the apex, which would you say is more forgiving?  

Wow 4 iron showed up today, 3 days from order to in hand. 

Callaway has its faults but CS is not one of them. One of the reasons I am a full bag homer, but I am also a no talent hack so a full bag of one Company is right in my wheelhouse ha ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

SLED # 1  35.5

Only one quick demo experience but was very disappointed. This seemed unusual in that I owned a set of Max Pros bought new and liked both the Rogue Pros and Steelhead Pros. Loved the feel of those three but not the new current model Pro. I will play the Takomo 201 (incredible iron) and just added a set of PXG 0311 Gen 3 P irons. Of course that is of today,LOL. 

1 hour ago, hardten said:

Only one quick demo experience but was very disappointed. This seemed unusual in that I owned a set of Max Pros bought new and liked both the Rogue Pros and Steelhead Pros. Loved the feel of those three but not the new current model Pro. I will play the Takomo 201 (incredible iron) and just added a set of PXG 0311 Gen 3 P irons. Of course that is of today,LOL. 

Do you care to elaborate on your disappointment? You just didn’t like the feel? 

22 hours ago, m_w said:

I had an opportunity to hit them today. They feel really soft and solid. If you are used to the feel of a forged, firmer thud, these will take some adjusting. I think the feel and sound is very comparable to PXG 0311 T and P

This is pretty close to what I picked up. I’d peg the Callaways a touch more solid feeling (in a good way) than the PXG heads. And I felt the power more with the Callaways. Just my opinion, but I thought PXG Gen 3 felt mushy and Gen 2 was the solid “crushed it” feel I like. Pursuit of softness can go too far when they do it with polymers instead of steel. 

Everyone has their preferences. The og Rogue Pro did not do it for me. Clunky and thick and I didn’t like them at impact. These Rogue Pro STs are a big upgrade. I thought they felt satisfying and I would rank them in front of PXG for what I am looking for. I slightly preferred the shape of the Mizuno 225 but the Rogue Pro ST was very close. I hit both real well. I no doubt will play them at some point. If I had to rank my favorite 3 in the power bats category, I’m going 225, Rogue Pro ST, Ping i525. 

Of course if I had ordered the Callaways I would already have them. I’m stuck in the Mizuno ransomware time warp. 🙄

• Haha 1

You have to give Callaway credit for being ready with the roll out. Not sure how they do with the hard to get shafts but the PX Catalyst 100 I prefer are not a problem to get fast. 

• Like 1

SLED # 1  35.5

On 3/19/2022 at 10:59 AM, m_w said:

Do you care to elaborate on your disappointment? You just didn’t like the feel? 

First off I have to say I only hit the 7 irons maybe 5-7 times along with the Zx5,and my G410s (at the time)and a few others I don't remember. Although people are captivated as was I by their sleek looks (which they are)they felt cheap. Maybe that may be too harsh a term but there was no meat on it's bones. I don't mean to enrage anybody but it is what it is. And again I was a big fan of the Rogue ST Pros 3 previous iterations . The Max Pro was hands down more substantial and powerful feeling .

Edited by hardten

The new 4 iron was very interesting, as someone who has not owned one in a while it is a typical 4 iron that it requires a good strike to do anything but the 4 times I hit it all were decent.

I did flush two of them from good fairway lies and was pleasantly shocked how far it went, both times on par 5's as a second shot and both with roll got out there to 190-200 yards which is my pured 7 wood distance and it seemed to be more predictable than the 7 wood.

The other two were just normal swings and intentional stingers to get out of trouble. That was my thinking when ordering it that it would be used more for low running shots anyway and it might just fill that spot very well. 

Now of course the 7 wood is in danger of being changed to a 5 wood and the 4 wood back to a 13.5* 3 wood.

Eh, the clubs change but until I get the Putter figured out the scores remain basically the same. Go figure that buying clubs does not mean buying a better game, but it is a bit easier overall.

SLED # 1  35.5

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2022 at 4:27 AM, m_w said:

Curious about these irons. Profile looks pretty good, not a huge fan of the high chrome but very curious to hear peoples experience on them. Has anyone here hit them yet?

I wanted to love the Apex Pro but couldn’t deal with the sound. If these are Apex Pro with better sound and more forgiveness, I might have to try them 🙂

I just spent 2 separate outings on the driving range with the Left-hand Rogue ST Pro 7-iron.  I was testing our club fitters cart for new Callaways.... all they had in lefty was Rogue ST Pro and the Rogue ST Max with Recoil Dart 75-Reg (sorry, but I didn't like the Max.... the head/topline was so thick it felt like I was hitting a hybrid).  The 2nd day I just tested the Rogue ST Pro (UST Recoil Dart 75 Reg vs Tensei White 75 Reg) vs my own 7-iron (Rogue Pro, Recoil 760 Reg). I spent about 45 min on the range both days hitting them into a 15-20 mph headwind.  Wow, I love them.  The Recoil Dart felt a bit more of a slingshot strike on the ball (maybe it's the diffference between the Dart and Tensei), but both went nicely...actually straigher (baby draw) than the moderate draw I have with the Rogue Pro/Recoil 760.  I wish the fitting cart had more irons than only the 7-iron but I guess that's typical.  I'm about ready to pounce on these....maybe one more test run when the wind dies down.  I think they go higher than my current iron/shaft combo, which for me I prefer because I typically hit lower launch irons and I'm tired of trying to go over the corner and instead of going over the trees, it's a 50:50 gamble of putting it smack dead into the tree top. One video review I saw said they were designed to go higher and stop on a green without running too far.  There is also a 'smoother feel' of the ball coming off the Rogue ST Pro club face than my own Rogue Pro which felt a bit harsh in comparison.  I know comparing the two are different technologies with the hollow head/microspheres in the Rogue ST Pro, but maybe that's the difference. Would the Rogue ST Pro be better compared to the Taylormade 760P? and/or Cobra Tech hollow/urethane insert?

Edited by bulls9999

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

On 2/13/2022 at 10:54 AM, Cactus Jack said:

I just did a fitting for PXGs and the Rogue Pros lean much closer to the Gen 4 Ts than the Ps. They share nothing in common with the XP. 

In my opinion these fall into the Apex Pro/Forged CB space and have a much more players profile than the Apex. Comparing to other irons I’ve owned and played extensively the Pros are much more compact than P790s and ZX5s. They have more forgiveness than a ZX7 and T100, a slightly larger sole, but similar in they have low offset. 

In the market right now I think the Pros are direct competitors to the Mizuno 225, Taylormade P770, and 0311Ts. ZX5s, T200s, P790s, 0311Ps, i210s, are all more chunky. 

They are tweeners. They pack a ton of game improvement tech into a players profile iron. I think they’ll be a great fit for folks in the 0-15 (aspiring to get to 10) handicap players.  

My only knock on the clubs is the use of chrome. I would’ve loved these in 1998, but they look out of place in todays golf world. I don’t even care about the back, I think they have great bag appeal, but really wish the faces would’ve been satin. 

Agree on the chrome. I have no clue why any company releases a shiny chrome finish on the face of any release today as the only option.  I know that some guys do prefer it but they can't be the majority anymore.  Just like you, I could careless about the back of the club, and even in some cases can be less picky about offset, top line, and profile.  But toss some shiny chrome on there in the sun and I am honestly not bothering.  

Was messing around with a couple of the Rogue ST Pros at the range today. These are a really nice design. Performance is strong and the sound and feel outside is very pleasing. Chrome looks classy to me, frames the ball well. But I am not sensitive to that kind of thing on the course so it wouldn’t be a big deal either way. The shape and blade size is appealing. 

1 hour ago, 9ironiscash said:

Anyone run into any issues with the lack of spin on these irons, or r u finding the higher apex/steeper descent angle negates it? Also I know they are two different classes/types of irons, but has anyone tried these and can compare to a zx5/7 combo set? 

See some of the posts above. Spin is an individual thing and is easily adjusted by adjusting lofts. Some players have weakened lofts a degree or two depending on what they are looking for. I don’t think I’d need to do that. When I tested these I was getting similar spin to the Mizuno 223 and 225, with a high flight and steep descent. The performance is excellent and the Project X Tour Flighted shaft is a winner in the 105g range. 

I like the Rogue ST Pro better than the Apex and didn’t notice any difference in difficulty to hit. I didn’t compare them to Srixons as I like the Callaway soles more and I already have a set of 745s, which I still think are the best in the Srixon 7xx series. I think on my off days the Rogue ST Pro is going to give me a little more love than the 745 or the 223. It competes directly with the 225 and to me it’s a coin flip between those two. I like both. 

• Like 1

Sorry to bring up this thread but I just ordered a 4-PW in these with True Temper Elevate 115 X-flex shafts at 1.25 inches longer than standard with a standard lie angle.

Just got back from my fitting (I’m stiff as anything lol) and tried:

- T200,

- T300,

- Stealth,

- P790,

- i525,

- Apex, and

- Rogue St Pro.

I honestly felt like I couldn’t miss with this club, I knew I hit misses and I wasn’t being punished - very forgiving, very big ball speed and very long. I’m coming from an i200 AWT stiff into this and just feels like home and I can’t wait to get them! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried the Callaway Rogue ST Pro with the Tensei AV Blue 65 graphite shaft. I only was able to try a 7 iron as that was the only fitting club available to me. I tried them on a grass driving range which is important to me as I like to be able to judge turf interaction and true spin numbers. I have found that trying to get an accurate fit on indoor fitting bays is difficult especially with irons as the mats allow the club to glide into the ball nothing like hitting off grass. I also have found through many fitting bay fits that spin rates are also affected which is reflected in inaccurate distances. It may be just me but I have found my spin rates are always lower hitting inside off perfect mat lies compared to hitting off grass. This in turn affects the distance as through experience I always hit it further inside than outside usually at least 10-15 yards. It may be due to a slight difference in delivery but I don’t think so, I am just an outside tester…period. I will only be  testing irons outside from now on, got fooled too many times with indoor testing and ended up with a poor fit especially when it came to choosing the right shaft.

Ok, now with that all being said I really liked the Rogue ST Pro, fairly narrow sole, minimal offset, moderate to thin top line, and looks so good at address. I agree with others, would prefer a satin finish and ditch the black badge on the back. They feel really good on flush strikes and good on most of the others. I find them just slightly clicky when making a strike way out on the toe but that is to be expected, that is all on me. I tested them with the Tensei Av Blue 65 regular flex graphite shaft which really surprised me. I am normally a stiff flex graphite shaft player, having played Steelfiber i110cw and Mitsubishi OTI 95 stiff shafts. I found the Steelfiber felt great when struck perfectly but felt very harsh when missed slightly, they also seemed to cause me to have shoulder and neck issues. I had them switched out for the OTI 95 shafts which felt great with less harsh feedback on off center strikes and performed well in an indoor fitting bay but when I took them out on the course they spun and ballooned way more than indoors and really affected my distances, so they played at least a club + shorter and even worse if it was windy. This is why I was so pleasantly surprised with the Tensei AV Blue regular flex, I thought they would produce something similar but they did not. The flight was nice and high but still piercing and the wind did not seem to affect the ball much at all. The strikes felt extremely powerful when flushed and when not flushed did not have a big drop off in distances which is exactly what I wanted. With my old clubs ( Honma TW747-X) and the OTI shafts if I flushed it with a 7 iron I could expect around 160 yards but even just a slight miss would see a huge distance drop of at least 15-20 yards, too much of a penalty especially when windy. If I missed the Rogue ST Pro I was still carrying  165 plus yards so only a slight drop compared to flush strikes of 170 plus yards…I can live with that. 

I am curious if anyone else has tried the clubs with the Tensei AV Blue shaft? I hopefully will get a chance to try some other graphite shaft offerings but I think this Tensei might be hard to beat.

Just now, 9ironiscash said:

How would you compare the zx5 to the rogue? I’m contemplating a combo set of Srixon vs the rogue. 

They were more similar to me than different.

The zx5 were a tiny bit bigger at address.

I would've been happy with either one. I've played better with the rogue since I hit my mid and long irons much better. Dropped from mid 7 to mid 5 index this past month.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kdphan said:

They were more similar to me than different.

The zx5 were a tiny bit bigger at address.

I would've been happy with either one. I've played better with the rogue since I hit my mid and long irons much better. Dropped from mid 7 to mid 5 index this past month.

So I assume you found the rogue more forgiving, or did it just fit your eye better?  Was the feel still ok with the rogue despite not being a one piece forging like the Srixon?