2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway Rogue ST Pro Irons

m_w

On 9/21/2022 at 9:55 AM, RainShadow said:

Seems any of the newer multi material, "loaded with tech" irons have that "clicky" feel/sound to them, especially with firmer balls. 

I agree that the sound is different than a one piece forging but as players distance irons go I think these still sound UnHollow and the acoustic is more thumps than anything 

• Like 1

I'm thoroughly impressed with this head. I can hit it basically anywhere, and it still goes. 

Loving these so far. 

Edited by Hack Daddy

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

• 2 weeks later...

One word... HOT. Tested them out as I was looking for something with less spin than the Mizuno cavity backs I was playing at the time. Granted, the lofts are quite different, the Pro ST's were going at least 1.5 club farther than the Mizunos with significantly less spin. Was hitting into a stiff 20mph wind and had very little ballooning. 

14 hours ago, Palmydrain said:

One word... HOT. Tested them out as I was looking for something with less spin than the Mizuno cavity backs I was playing at the time. Granted, the lofts are quite different, the Pro ST's were going at least 1.5 club farther than the Mizunos with significantly less spin. Was hitting into a stiff 20mph wind and had very little ballooning. 

I bent mine all 1-2 degrees weak and put some stiff tip shafts in them to combat the launch. These irons take some tweaking to get them dialed but if you're patient a REALLy good recipe can be found. After everything I picked up about 7-8 yards of carry per iron keeping launch, spin etc in the same windows. Pretty cool. My performance 4-7 went up drastically VS TCB. If I was being picky Id say the short irons could use a slightly higher CG to drive the ball down a bit but better players can do that on their own for the most part. If 8-PW launched a hair lower you would see a ton of these sets on TOUR. Ive watched a bunch of players test them and its the short irons that separate them. Hopefully R&D makes some small tweaks and creates the unicorn set LOL. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JohnnyCallaway said:

I bent mine all 1-2 degrees weak and put some stiff tip shafts in them to combat the launch. These irons take some tweaking to get them dialed but if you're patient a REALLy good recipe can be found. After everything I picked up about 7-8 yards of carry per iron keeping launch, spin etc in the same windows. Pretty cool. My performance 4-7 went up drastically VS TCB. If I was being picky Id say the short irons could use a slightly higher CG to drive the ball down a bit but better players can do that on their own for the most part. If 8-PW launched a hair lower you would see a ton of these sets on TOUR. Ive watched a bunch of players test them and its the short irons that separate them. Hopefully R&D makes some small tweaks and creates the unicorn set LOL. 

Wish the dudes in Carls would mimic these same specs into the next Apex line somewhere as many more sets would sell if they werent named the same as the 'yearly' release cycle that carries a stigma in the iron line.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

On 10/18/2022 at 6:17 PM, brick101 said:

Combo set of TCB AW to 8i, and 8,7,6,5 in the ST Pro? 
Main annoyance is that the set requires two 8 irons. 

Nah I’d just bend the ST Pro weak and maybe the TCB 8 iron a degree or 2 strong assuming it clips the right gapping. I back into the lofts from the yardage

On 10/18/2022 at 2:05 AM, JohnnyCallaway said:

Just goes to show how everyone is different. I kept stock lofts and even added XP shafts. 

I hit a 6i 189 over a greenside trap, and it stopped within 10 feet of it's pitch mark. 

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

• 3 weeks later...

I have played the ST pros since release and have really enjoyed them, the EPON's kicked them out of the bag with better feel and launch. I was considering pulling the Catalyst shafts from the Pro's and putting them in the EPON's as the 105X Nippon's are borderline too stiff.  for me but have decided to just leave them alone for now. 

For a test I put them back in the bag for a round a week ago and confirmed my feelings that the EPON's are better right now, so they will sit in the garage until either the new Callaway series comes out and use the for trade in's or I get ambitious enough to list them.

I have been using the Rogue AW and it blends well gap wise with the EPON's so still a small presence for the time being.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9* GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

On 11/9/2022 at 10:45 PM, brick101 said:

Rogue ST Pro AW or Vokey 48°? 

The Rouge Pro AW is staying in the bag. I can hit all the shots I need with it, yet it's very forgiving. Partial swing low-flighted  shots or high-launching full swing shots both give predictable distance. 

Edited by brick101

• 1 month later...

Put the Rogue Pros back in the bag this morning on a whim and had a great morning (for me) with them, I do like the feel of the Catalyst 100  stiff shafts over the Modus 105 x (ssx1). The EPON's are definitely more forgiving by design but the Rogue's are more accurate on similar good contact or at lesat today they were.

It is fun the switch back and forth, kind of jumpstarts the old honeymoon feeling  which has always worked good for me. Just a little more careful with the swing and try to just hit it smoothly, which for me always works better.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9* GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, bigdawg said:

Question for those who have used the Rogue ST Pro's with Rifle Tour Flighted 105 shafts.

I am looking at a set with 6.0 shafts.

Do these shafts play like Project X or somewhere less in terms of stiffness? I am assuming the former but would just like to hear some feedback on that.

Thanks. 

Id say they preform pretty similar but a touch less stiff and heavy. If anything they might fly a tad higher which i dont notice because the lofts in the rogue st pro are stronger which i like. I have pjx 6.0 in some callaway xforged/mb 18 and i still love the way those feel too. For a heavier/stiffer shaft they have a nice smooth feel with small kick at the bottom which is surprising. I dont feel that kick in the flighted but they still feel and perform good. My best round ever was in the pjx rifle 6.0

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Id say they preform pretty similar but a touch less stiff and heavy. If anything they might fly a tad higher which i dont notice because the lofts in the rogue st pro are stronger which i like. I have pjx 6.0 in some callaway xforged/mb 18 and i still love the way those feel too. For a heavier/stiffer shaft they have a nice smooth feel with small kick at the bottom which is surprising. I dont feel that kick in the flighted but they still feel and perform good. My best round ever was in the pjx rifle 6.0

Very interesting. Thank you

On 1/4/2023 at 7:13 AM, bigdawg said:

Question for those who have used the Rogue ST Pro's with Rifle Tour Flighted 105 shafts.

I am looking at a set with 6.0 shafts.

Do these shafts play like Project X or somewhere less in terms of stiffness? I am assuming the former but would just like to hear some feedback on that.

Thanks. 

I hit the Callaways in my fitting and almost went with them. Very nice irons. I liked the Rifle Tour Flighted 6.0 and one thing I liked was it felt noticeably less stiff than standard Rifle 6.0. I felt like they were closer to standard Rifle 5.0, which is still quite a stiff shaft.

The Rifle Tour Flighted is 15g lower in weight and that is a noticeable difference. If you hit the standard 6.0 and the Tour Flighted 6.0 back to back it is easier to feel the difference. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 1/5/2023 at 3:06 PM, dmeeksDC said:

I hit the Callaways in my fitting and almost went with them. Very nice irons. I liked the Rifle Tour Flighted 6.0 and one thing I liked was it felt noticeably less stiff than standard Rifle 6.0. I felt like they were closer to standard Rifle 5.0, which is still quite a stiff shaft.

The Rifle Tour Flighted is 15g lower in weight and that is a noticeable difference. If you hit the standard 6.0 and the Tour Flighted 6.0 back to back it is easier to feel the difference. 

That is what I was hoping to hear. I hear the 6.0 in Tour Flighted Rifle doesnt play as stiff as, say, PX 6.0 Stiff. There was a deal came up on a 2nd hand set so i took the deal. will be trying them out soon. Thanks for posting this.

On 1/5/2023 at 3:06 PM, dmeeksDC said:

Out of interest, what did you end up going with in your fitting?

10 hours ago, bigdawg said:

Out of interest, what did you end up going with in your fitting?

In that one I went with Mizuno Pro 225, and I went with the Project X LZ 6.0 shaft, which at 120g was the first time in a while I had gone back to a shaft that heavy. Kind of always end up back at the 110-115 range. I ended up liking the 225 long irons more than the short irons and sold them.

I felt the Callaway Rogue Pro ST was more forgiving than the Mizuno. The only negative was I wasn’t crazy about the sound the Rogue Pro ST made, but that was not a deal breaker and would have sounded better outdoors and with a softer ball is my bet. I think in terms of overall size, the shape and playability in terms of ‘easy’ distance, it’s very strong. I know Apex is their flagship ‘players’ lineup, but I like the Rogue ST more and for me the stock Rifle shaft in 6.0 is perfect. 

But now I’m deep into the Ping lineup. Testing the i230, i59 and the Blueprints. Pretty set on keeping a full set of the i230 — it’s an impressive iron as sort of a Tour-level jack of all trades performer — but the scoring irons could see some bench time if the 8-P Blueprints continue to impress me as much as they have so far. I just like the way they look and they swing great. Versatile, amazing out of tough lies. People get hung up on them being very compact, but as soon as I hit a few, I didn’t even notice. A compact 9 iron is more appealing to me vs one with a big profile and face. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 6/30/2022 at 3:50 PM, kdphan said:

I've played mine for over a month now and still really happy with them.

I have mine with the stock PX 6.0 shaft. 

The rogue pro ST replaced my Srixon ZX5.

I'm about to make the exact same move. Have a set of ZX5 and just didn't get on with the wide sole. Especially in 7-PW. So I got a deal on a set of Rogue Pros coming in Tour Flighted Rifle 105 stiff. The shaft is my only reservation as I bought unfitted to get the deal but normally I'd prefer a smoother shaft like KBS Tour. My 7 iron SS is right about 85 but I have a quick transition. Let's see. 

5 minutes ago, bigdawg said:

I'm about to make the exact same move. Have a set of ZX5 and just didn't get on with the wide sole. Especially in 7-PW. So I got a deal on a set of Rogue Pros coming in Tour Flighted Rifle 105 stiff. The shaft is my only reservation as I bought unfitted to get the deal but normally I'd prefer a smoother shaft like KBS Tour. My 7 iron SS is right about 85 but I have a quick transition. Let's see. 

I experienced the same with the ZX5 7-PW and replaced them with the ZX7. Been much better. I have a major itch to try the Rogue ST Pro as I hit them at PGASS and loved the consistency. 

9 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

I experienced the same with the ZX5 7-PW and replaced them with the ZX7. Been much better. I have a major itch to try the Rogue ST Pro as I hit them at PGASS and loved the consistency. 

I was very close to replacing my full set of ZX5 with a combo set of ZX5 and ZX7 and I'm pretty sure it would have addressed the sole/bounce issues I was experiencing but just came across a great deal on a barely used set of Rogue ST Pros - which I had hit very well at a demo day last summer - so I couldn't pass them up. Now I have two 'gamer' sets and one back up set set so time to start picking WITB for this season. 😉

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 7:55 AM, bigdawg said:

I was very close to replacing my full set of ZX5 with a combo set of ZX5 and ZX7 and I'm pretty sure it would have addressed the sole/bounce issues I was experiencing but just came across a great deal on a barely used set of Rogue ST Pros - which I had hit very well at a demo day last summer - so I couldn't pass them up. Now I have two 'gamer' sets and one back up set set so time to start picking WITB for this season. 😉

do you guys find much difference or step-up between the ZX7 & Rogue ST Pro? 

Dr: Titleist TSR2 10º w/ Tensei 1K Black 65S and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

5W: Taylormade Stealth 2 w/ Oban Devotion HB 65.05 and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

4H: Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Tensei 1K Black 85S and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Align Grey Grip

5-UW: PING G425 Blue Dot w/ Project X 6.0 LZ (+1") and Golf Pride CPX Midsize Grips

54º: Vokey SM9 54º12D w/ Dynamic Gold (+0.5") and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

58º: Vokey SM9 58º08M w/ Dynamic Gold (+0.5") and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

P: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven (35")

B: Bridgestone Tour B X

I am about a 12 HCP. These are very forgiving for their size. They launch high with a reasonable amount of spin. I find the short and mid irons super easy to hit and can hold greens great. The long irons (mainly 4 and 5 iron) I need some time to figure out, but overall they are much better than my old GI irons.

On 1/7/2023 at 3:51 AM, dmeeksDC said:

In that one I went with Mizuno Pro 225, and I went with the Project X LZ 6.0 shaft, which at 120g was the first time in a while I had gone back to a shaft that heavy. Kind of always end up back at the 110-115 range. I ended up liking the 225 long irons more than the short irons and sold them.

I felt the Callaway Rogue Pro ST was more forgiving than the Mizuno. The only negative was I wasn’t crazy about the sound the Rogue Pro ST made, but that was not a deal breaker and would have sounded better outdoors and with a softer ball is my bet. I think in terms of overall size, the shape and playability in terms of ‘easy’ distance, it’s very strong. I know Apex is their flagship ‘players’ lineup, but I like the Rogue ST more and for me the stock Rifle shaft in 6.0 is perfect. 

But now I’m deep into the Ping lineup. Testing the i230, i59 and the Blueprints. Pretty set on keeping a full set of the i230 — it’s an impressive iron as sort of a Tour-level jack of all trades performer — but the scoring irons could see some bench time if the 8-P Blueprints continue to impress me as much as they have so far. I just like the way they look and they swing great. Versatile, amazing out of tough lies. People get hung up on them being very compact, but as soon as I hit a few, I didn’t even notice. A compact 9 iron is more appealing to me vs one with a big profile and face. 

If the stock shafts in my Rogue ST Pro's (Tour Flighted Rifle 6.0) dont work out, Im lining up a replacement set in time for the start of the season. Would you know from your fittings if the hosel diameter on the Rogue ST Pro's is .355 taper or .370 parallel tip? Thank you.