Odyssey Tri Hot 5K review

jjfcpa

Just my 2nd round with the Tri Hot 5K, but I think this is a real performer.  Perhaps it's the fact the the head seems a little heaver than normal or that this putter is weighted so well, but today was exceptional with this putter.  Greens were less than perfect; still brown and need to be rolled; however, I still managed just 29 putts in 18 holes and many of these were from 15 feet or more.  With 6 1-putts and no 3 putts, I consider this an exceptional round of putting.  Previously, I was playing the Odyssey White Hot OG and it was very good, but the Tri Hot 5K takes it to a new level.

I first tested it in the PGATourSuperstore and after sinking a half a dozen putts on their indoor practice green, I decided to pull the trigger on it.  It took a few hours of practice with this putter before things started to click, but after that, it just seems like it goes where you want it to go.

Thanks for the review, I messed around with one at Dick's and would really like to get one on an outdoor putting green.  Was always a huge fan of the original models.

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I am also wondering about the people who have speed or distance control issues.  Could it also be from not playing the stroke lab shaft before, with the counter weight?

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 7X

Callaway Ai Smoke 💎 💎💎20* - PX Denali Blue 80TX

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - UST Attas T2 8X

Titleist TSR1 26* - Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - DG X100

Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - DG X100

Titleist SM9 55S & 60T - DG X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. DF3 - TPT - Press II 3* Smooth / L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - SS XL Tour 2.0

Srixon Z-Star 💎

5 hours ago, DB30 said:

I’ve never been an insert guy but this high MOI intrigued me. Any issues with speed control? 

i had speed control issues. 

4 hours ago, tilasan said:

I am also wondering about the people who have speed or distance control issues.  Could it also be from not playing the stroke lab shaft before, with the counter weight?

my previous putter was a white hot OG 1WS and speed control was awesome. had a lagp putter shaft in it. pulled that same lagp shaft put it in the tri-hot 5k, speed control terrible. the feel of the tri-hot 5k is nothing like that white hot 1ws

18 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

i had speed control issues. 

my previous putter was a white hot OG 1WS and speed control was awesome. had a lagp putter shaft in it. pulled that same lagp shaft put it in the tri-hot 5k, speed control terrible. the feel of the tri-hot 5k is nothing like that white hot 1ws

Oh good to know thank you! Guess I won't be trying the tri hit 5k!

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - DG X100

Srixon Z-Star 💎

20 hours ago, dlow206 said:

you should try it, just note its definitely different from the white hot og, at least for me. 

Could it have just been a bad putting day? Is it greens you normally putt on? Did you compare it to the White Hot OG 1WS? I currently game the 1WS and love it and have a Tri Hot 5k Two waiting to get put in the bag for this year. I have read great things and from what I can tell the faces feel very similar!

Edited by stephenmatt

Just picked up a 5k one. Love my Toulon Las Vegas but I putted for a long time today at the pga ss with the 5k. This technology really seems to work. Hopefully playing tomorrow and will update afterwards. 

Pending 

Callaway Smoke Max HL Tensei Blue

Apex UW 19 Mitsubishi MMT

Cobra TEC 4 Hybrid MitsubishiMMT Stiff

JPX Forged 5-G Steelfiber 95R

Callaway Jaws 54m and 58z

Mizuno OMOI #5

1 hour ago, stephenmatt said:

Could it have just been a bad putting day? Is it greens you normally putt on? Did you compare it to the White Hot OG 1WS? I currently game the 1WS and love it and have a Tri Hot 5k Two waiting to get put in the bag for this year. I have read great things and from what I can tell the faces feel very similar!

Its my home course. I sort of was able to figure out the distance control, but i had to tell myself, hit it like 75% as hard as you think you should, then it turned out ok.

I am not the only one with a distance control issue with this putter though. This was from the review from golfalot, from a pro golfer, someone much better at everything golf than me:

"As I previously mentioned, I struggled with pace on the greens during my testing - I hit everything too hard and couldn't seem to get the grasp of the feel. I also didn’t hole a single long putt (putts from outside 15 feet) during testing, this is rare as I wouldn't call myself the best putter in the world but usually I roll a few long ones in during a putter test."

11 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

"As I previously mentioned, I struggled with pace on the greens during my testing - I hit everything too hard and couldn't seem to get the grasp of the feel. I also didn’t hole a single long putt (putts from outside 15 feet) during testing, this is rare as I wouldn't call myself the best putter in the world but usually I roll a few long ones in during a putter test."

Interesting. How deep did you have to dig to find this? I have only seen really positive things about the whole line of putters.

2 minutes ago, stephenmatt said:

Interesting. How deep did you have to dig to find this? I have only seen really positive things about the whole line of putters.

I happened to stumble on it.

anyway, im sure this putter will work very well for a lot of people, i just found it to be very different than my 1WS and i prefer that 1WS but i sold it lol

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 7:48 PM, jjfcpa said:

Just my 2nd round with the Tri Hot 5K, but I think this is a real performer.  Perhaps it's the fact the the head seems a little heaver than normal or that this putter is weighted so well, but today was exceptional with this putter.  Greens were less than perfect; still brown and need to be rolled; however, I still managed just 29 putts in 18 holes and many of these were from 15 feet or more.  With 6 1-putts and no 3 putts, I consider this an exceptional round of putting.  Previously, I was playing the Odyssey White Hot OG and it was very good, but the Tri Hot 5K takes it to a new level.

I first tested it in the PGATourSuperstore and after sinking a half a dozen putts on their indoor practice green, I decided to pull the trigger on it.  It took a few hours of practice with this putter before things started to click, but after that, it just seems like it goes where you want it to go.

Which model did you buy ?

On 3/18/2022 at 6:16 PM, tilasan said:

Unless you're very sensitive to,,,,,,,,, weight, feel, whatever, I don't think you'll even know it's other than a steel shaft.

As for distance control, as mentioned, they seem a bit heavier than others so it might take a little getting used to but I've been putting indoors for a3 weeks or so with the 5K Triple-wide and I don't find distance to be an issue.

23 hours ago, tilasan said:

Oh good to know thank you! Guess I won't be trying the tri hit 5k!

Dude !!! :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

7 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Unless you're very sensitive to,,,,,,,,, weight, feel, whatever, I don't think you'll even know it's other than a steel shaft.

As for distance control, as mentioned, they seem a bit heavier than others so it might take a little getting used to but I've been putting indoors for a3 weeks or so with the 5K Double-wide and I don't find distance to be an issue.

So you like yours? Haha. Do you have the double wide? 

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - DG X100

Srixon Z-Star 💎

45 minutes ago, tilasan said:

So you like yours? Haha. Do you have the double wide? 

Nope, I haven't chosen my latest weapon.

I have been putting in the store with the triple-wide for about 3-4 weeks, ever since they hit the shelves. Along with a number of other models.

I spend quite a bit of time testing out putters before I use them for a while and then put them in the closet.

And so the cycle goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_laugh:

Edited by nsxguy

Ping Glide Pro 48*

28 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

As for distance control, as mentioned, they seem a bit heavier than others so it might take a little getting used to but I've been putting indoors for a3 weeks or so with the 5K Double-wide and I don't find distance to be an issue.

I have the Tri Hot 5K One.  I've always played a blade such as the One and it suits me very well.  Yes, it did take a few practice sessions to get the distance control under control, but it seems second nature now.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Nope, I haven't chosen my latest weapon.

I have been putting in the store with the double-wide for about 3-4 weeks, ever since they hit the shelves. Along with a number of other models.

I spend quite a bit of time testing out putters before I use them for a while and then put them in the closet.

And so the cycle goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_laugh:

I'm trying to find a wide style blade with a plumbers neck.

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - DG X100

Srixon Z-Star 💎

17 minutes ago, tilasan said:

I'm trying to find a wide style blade with a plumbers neck.

The Tri Hot Double-wide has a plumber's neck.

My bad, but I misspoke earlier. I've been testing the Triple-wide which is face-balanced. The store near me doesn't have a double-wide; the only in the Tri Hot line they're missing.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

4 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

The Tri Hot Double-wide has a plumber's neck.

My bad, but I misspoke earlier. I've been testing the Triple-wide which is face-balanced. The store near me doesn't have a double-wide; the only in the Tri Hot line they're missing.

Yea that's why I was interested. I want to try the 2022 bb8w also.

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - DG X100

Srixon Z-Star 💎

17 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I happened to stumble on it.

anyway, im sure this putter will work very well for a lot of people, i just found it to be very different than my 1WS and i prefer that 1WS but i sold it lol

The 1WS is almost perfect for me so it wouldn't be surprising if this putter performed slightly worse than my current gamer but I am always willing to try new things.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread because I'm seriously considering either an OG double-wide or a Tri-Hot double-wide at the moment.

I've rolled a buddy's OG 1 a few times on the course lately, and it feels good. It might just feel a hair "light" or like the face can dance around some if I'm not careful (but by the same token, it seems like that quality also might allow me to square the face at impact more easily). I've made a number of putts with that putter during a couple casual 9s.

The TH's feel GREAT in the store. They seem to have that heft that would quiet the face for me. However, I can say that when I borrowed another buddy's TH-1 for a round, I definitely had distance control problems, like others have said. Now, his is a 35", and I've gotten very used to 34" for the last number of years... But I wonder if it was the counter-balanced grip/heavier head combo that really had me struggling. I would bomb uphill, longer putts way past the hole with it. Maybe I'd just need more time with it; but I, like the reviewer quoted above, made nothing all day with that putter.

Not sure what to do just yet...

I have a scotty double wide _ squareback and the tri hot 5k 7 ch. Have about 4 rounds on the 5k.  Did some practicing with it Sunday then played league Monday day. I was dropping almost everything. They rest of the guys in my group started joking about just giving me 6 footers. Seems promising so far. 

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

4 hours ago, KMeloney said:

Reviving this thread because I'm seriously considering either an OG double-wide or a Tri-Hot double-wide at the moment.

I've rolled a buddy's OG 1 a few times on the course lately, and it feels good. It might just feel a hair "light" or like the face can dance around some if I'm not careful (but by the same token, it seems like that quality also might allow me to square the face at impact more easily). I've made a number of putts with that putter during a couple casual 9s.

The TH's feel GREAT in the store. They seem to have that heft that would quiet the face for me. However, I can say that when I borrowed another buddy's TH-1 for a round, I definitely had distance control problems, like others have said. Now, his is a 35", and I've gotten very used to 34" for the last number of years... But I wonder if it was the counter-balanced grip/heavier head combo that really had me struggling. I would bomb uphill, longer putts way past the hole with it. Maybe I'd just need more time with it; but I, like the reviewer quoted above, made nothing all day with that putter.

Not sure what to do just yet...

I'd put little to no stock into using your buddies 35". I use a 34" and can't putt with a 35" if my life depended on it. I'm 5'9" and a 35" in my hands feels like a foreign object but a 34" feels perfect.

If you're on the fence, pick up a 34" from Callaway Pre-owned and return it if it doesn't work. That's what I did with my 5k 3 but instead of returning it went right into the bag.

• Thanks 1

I just got a double wide plumbers neck. Going to extend it to 36” and put a wrist lock grip on it. Make a semi style armlock putter. Should be good!

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

On 6/13/2023 at 8:14 AM, KMeloney said:

Just an FYI, I believe the OG double-wide is face-balanced where the Tri-Hot double-wide has some toe hang.
I just purchased the Tri-Hot Triple-Wide, it is face-balanced, and WOW! this thing is awesome, it is counter-balanced and I put a SS Tour 3.0 on the grip, but had no distance control issues. My lag puts were with in tap-in range.

• Thanks 1