"Older" Irons you've always wanted to get your hands on?

OK so I sprun for a set of FG-17, please dont tell my wife. I just need to get them in the house without her seeing and she will never know, they will just blend in to the rest.

the question is the loft specs, cant seem to find them. Not sure about the shafts that are in them do not say the brand. I can swap them out with something if I dont like them.

• Like 2

The shafts are not the dynamic silver that came with them, they have been reshafted but the seller did not say what brand the shaft was just that they were stiff. I have many other shafts I can replace with, but am lazy so hopefully they fit my swing, otherwise I think I will pull a set of S300's don't think I need the x100's on these

2 hours ago, Wham49 said:

the question is the loft specs, cant seem to find them. Not sure about the shafts that are in them do not say the brand. I can swap them out with something if I dont like them.

1i - 17*

2i - 20*

3i - 23*

4i - 26*

5i - 30*

6i - 34*

7i - 38*

8i - 42*

9i - 46*

PW - 50*

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

6 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

thanks bro, I'm guessing the SW is 55 then. Excited to hit them. They are a beater set but figured I'd get my foot in the door. If I love them will pay for a real quality set

The SW was 56* as I remember it.  Always wiggle room.  🙂

Personally, I would think about using 58*.  It's a more effective SW loft for me.  When Nicklaus worked with Phil Rodgers, he switched to that loft with his SW, based on Rodgers' recommendation.

Your Precision shaft question in another post....  Precision stepped shafts.  They were the first of the frequency matched shafts produced by the Braly family, which evolved to the Rifle shaft, and now the KBS Tour.  Largely a stiffer butt section and softer tip section than the Dynamic shaft.

The Precision shaft started showing up in the 80s.  For some companies, it was an option, for others, it was the stock shaft.  There are a *lot* of Golden Ram sets with Precision shafts out there.

The Precision was marketed as 5.5 being regular, and 6.5 being stiff, but I think that was off just a bit.  5.0 and 6.0 would probably have been closer, IMHO.

• Like 2

Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

29 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

The SW was 56* as I remember it.  Always wiggle room.  🙂

Personally, I would think about using 58*.  It's a more effective SW loft for me.  When Nicklaus worked with Phil Rodgers, he switched to that loft with his SW, based on Rodgers' recommendation.

Your Precision shaft question in another post....  Precision stepped shafts.  They were the first of the frequency matched shafts produced by the Braly family, which evolved to the Rifle shaft, and now the KBS Tour.  Largely a stiffer butt section and softer tip section than the Dynamic shaft.

The Precision shaft started showing up in the 80s.  For some companies, it was an option, for others, it was the stock shaft.  There are a *lot* of Golden Ram sets with Precision shafts out there.

The Precision was marketed as 5.5 being regular, and 6.5 being stiff, but I think that was off just a bit.  5.0 and 6.0 would probably have been closer, IMHO.

thanks for the info, ya we'll see about the shafts. I dont generally love the no step rifles they are fine I just cant control them. The steps may put more control into it for me. At least they will be good quality, if not for me I'll swap them out for a set I plan on selling and harvest those shafts

I need a sand wedge I can hit 100 yards full at least. The ping E2 58 lob wedge I love but I have something in between the wedge and lob. not sure How I would like that much of a gap for the 56.  I'll work with it  I'm used to 48-52-56-60 unless I play my pings

3 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

thanks for the info, ya we'll see about the shafts. I dont generally love the no step rifles they are fine I just cant control them. The steps may put more control into it for me. At least they will be good quality, if not for me I'll swap them out for a set I plan on selling and harvest those shafts

I need a sand wedge I can hit 100 yards full at least. The ping E2 58 lob wedge I love but I have something in between the wedge and lob. not sure How I would like that much of a gap for the 56.  I'll work with it  I'm used to 48-52-56-60 unless I play my pings

If you're a 60* guy, you could go 55/60.  I've done that myself.

Depending on the rest of the bag, you can start running out of clubs.  😉

1 hour ago, Wham49 said:

thanks bro, I'm guessing the SW is 55 then. Excited to hit them. They are a beater set but figured I'd get my foot in the door. If I love them will pay for a real quality set

I wouldn’t trade my two sets of 17s for ANY iron set. Play mine very regularly! No matter what I go cheating on them with, it NEVER lasts long. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wham49 said:

ok found out that the shafts are Brunswick precision, and produce no labels for the clubs. Apparently they are the precursor to RIfle and are stepped. Anybody have any other info on these shafts

I have a set of these in a set of irons I own.  The ones I have are frequency matched shafts (FM 5.5).  They kick pretty well for a firm regular shaft.  I prefer them to a similar flex TTDG.  Here's a representative photo of the shaft band:

See the source image

Here's a link to a thread I found.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

2 hours ago, Wham49 said:

Finally have time at home to share my vintage clubs. I have a couple other sets like the TA 845's PAt. Pend. and another set of Ping I2's, but these are basically it. The old TA's are TA-5 if you couldnt read it. I have played them all except the top flights and the TA-5s as they need some grips the leather is crispy and havent gotten to them yet. What do you think? Any faves in that line? My fave are probably the Wilson's as they are so soft all of the I love to play the Sam Snead Championships on the frozen ground. 

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3042 (1).jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

Those split sole M/T I can dig to China with---- You have some good stuff if it came down to nuts and bolts for me I would play those 53 Top Flites in the drop of a hat

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 4/6/2022 at 2:22 PM, scomac2002 said:

I have a set of these in a set of irons I own.  The ones I have are frequency matched shafts (FM 5.5).  They kick pretty well for a firm regular shaft.  I prefer them to a similar flex TTDG.  Here's a representative photo of the shaft band:

See the source image

Here's a link to a thread I found.

Those 5.5s are great shafts--- I have some in a set of KZG Teardrop CBs. They kick good i just can not stand the longer blades in the 4 thru 7 irons

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Those split sole M/T I can dig to China with---- You have some good stuff if it came down to nuts and bolts for me I would play those 53 Top Flites in the drop of a hat

I am missing the 7 iron, and need to put new grips on them, but they look so good sitting behind the ball, very modern looking compared to some of the vintage clubs

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 3:16 PM, BIG STU said:

I can hit them MT's pretty well though I think it is more in the head than anything. They just play a little on the hard side compared to some of the other sets I have

4 hours ago, AdamMH said:

@BIG STU seems you might the resident Spalding guy. Any chance you can offer some insight on these customs? I need a 9 iron to fill out my set but feels like searching for a piece of Unobtainium, so if there's any very similar forgings...

received_352533673442703.jpeg

Those look to be straight out of the custom shop. I have never seen a set like them before

• Thanks 1

Big Stu

I took your advice and dragged out the 53 Top Flights, I am actually missing the 5 iron, and I have a replacement top flight tournament model, looks very similar at address. Regripped them, the leather was literally breaking apart as I was removing it. LOL, but am excited to play them tom. I knew they looked good but until you pointed them out did not realize was respected iron they are. Any info on them my man

On 3/25/2022 at 8:04 PM, DoughBack18 said:

I’ll lament! Quite a few I never got a chance to try, too young and no money! Such is life...

Yonex Super ADX Tour Forged

Taylormade RAC MB’s

Cobra Pro CB/MB

Taylormade 300 series forged

Titleist 731PM

Titleist DCI 990

Ben Hogan Apex Plus

Late 90’s and early 2000’s did have some irons that were 🔥🔥🔥

Still got my Titleist DCI 990's.  They're sweet.  👌

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Pretty cool that the old Yonex Tour Forged have been mentioned. I still have a set, and they are impressive, the shafts just as much as the forging. Yonex had something special in those gold colored graphite iron shafts they made back then. The LTB600 I think they called them. 

also, this set has been mentioned earlier, but I wanted to drop in a picture. Still the prettiest blades I’ve ever seen. I’d switch to righty to give them a go. And the way I play anymore, that might not be a bad idea. 

0DA438A6-762A-4A93-829B-135C12F59D8F.jpeg

• Like 2

Maybe these irons are too new but I always regretted not buying the Titleist 704.CB back in the day.  Recently, I found a set still in good shape so I bought it.  Very happy that I did because they feel and play as well as I remembered.

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice.

Clubs:  Stealth 2+ Driver / Cobra Darkspeed 4-PW / Titleist Wedges S-Grind / SeeMore M7x

1 hour ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Is that a Hogan Director I see in your first pic? How do they play for you? They’re a sharp looking iron and my hunch is that they’re underrated, although I’ve never hit them. 

Yes

They don’t fit my eye the best but feel very nice, I hit them pretty high for me, I have the original shafts in a 2, just slightly soft for me, they feel pretty soft feeling, I would try them I don’t play them often primarily because they are a little long and low profile to me, I’m sure would look great to others 

the 8-w are my fave of the set 

Edited by Wham49
  • Thanks 1