2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rating the Pinehurst courses (resort and others)

exgolfpro

On 1/28/2024 at 7:15 PM, DoubleorQuits said:

The third hole at Mud Pines has to be one of the worst holes in America.  

They have fixed the  fairway drainage issues on #3 at Mid Pines (well, for the most part, definitely still the hole most likely to have mud on your ball)

Hazard in front of you, Hazards to the right and left - but the fairway is 50 yards wide.  If you have issues hitting it sort of straight airborne 230 yards I can see where you wouldn't look forward to the tee shot.

Trick at Mid Pines is surviving the 1st 4 holes - they look so simple on the scorecard...

Edited by allparz
additions
  • Like 1

Mid Pines #3 is a good golf hole, kind of similar to #6 at Southern Pines where from the tee it looks doable to cut the corner but it's actually a sneaky long carry to the fairway. On MP3 If you don't make it, you end up in the wet crap or OB. On SP 6 the right side of the fairway slopes right and you'll end up blocked by the trees or if it's too far right, it'll kick OB. 

I aim way left of where I used to on those holes. 

16 hours ago, allparz said:

They have fixed the  fairway drainage issues on #3 at Mid Pines (well, for the most part, definitely still the hole most likely to have mud on your ball)

Hazard in front of you, Hazards to the right and left - but the fairway is 50 yards wide.  If you have issues hitting it sort of straight airborne 230 yards I can see where you wouldn't look forward to the tee shot.

Trick at Mid Pines is surviving the 1st 4 holes - they look so simple on the scorecard...

15 hours ago, Looper34 said:

Mid Pines #3 is a good golf hole, kind of similar to #6 at Southern Pines where from the tee it looks doable to cut the corner but it's actually a sneaky long carry to the fairway. On MP3 If you don't make it, you end up in the wet crap or OB. On SP 6 the right side of the fairway slopes right and you'll end up blocked by the trees or if it's too far right, it'll kick OB. 

I aim way left of where I used to on those holes. 

We play there every summer for the last 10 years. It's never super wet, but if you were to get mud on your ball it would be that hole....It's very similar to the 6th hole at SP.  Big fairway that you need to cut it on. I agree if you can get through the first 4 holes, you can score out there. 2 and 3 are beast. 2 is so similar to #3 at Fort Mill...Ross has a lot of similar holes and green complexes. He's my favorite

Edited by Atwsc7

I've only played #2 and Pine Needles (on a visit from Scotland).  Loved them both, and appreciated the history and atmosphere at both too.

I hesitate to say it (and it's probably objectively wrong) but I thought Needles was marginally the more interesting and memorable course. Loved the routing, the rolling land with plenty of elevation changes, and - I admit - as a 10 h'cap at the time I found it easier to get round - the greens are far less penal.  But also, looking back nearly 6 years later, I find I can remember and visualise more of the holes at PN than #2 (where the first three and the final two holes are all I can really recall, along with the par 4 at the far end with the road behind it).

• Like 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

5 hours ago, ColinKelvin said:

I've only played #2 and Pine Needles (on a visit from Scotland).  Loved them both, and appreciated the history and atmosphere at both too.

I hesitate to say it (and it's probably objectively wrong) but I thought Needles was marginally the more interesting and memorable course. Loved the routing, the rolling land with plenty of elevation changes, and - I admit - as a 10 h'cap at the time I found it easier to get round - the greens are far less penal.  But also, looking back nearly 6 years later, I find I can remember and visualise more of the holes at PN than #2 (where the first three and the final two holes are all I can really recall, along with the par 4 at the far end with the road behind it).

You're not wrong

#2 is very flat --

These holes are dead flat - no Sidehill/Uphill 1/2/3/7/8/10/11/12  (maybe the green pushed up)

The Fairways dead flat on 13/14

Leaving these non Par 3's with some Movement - 4/5/13/14/15/18

@ Pine Needles only 9/14/17 are flat

Lots of Movement on the rest of the Holes with up/down/sidehill complications

I would also argue the 3's are better at Needles  (all the 3's on #2 are flat)

• Thanks 1

I'll play:

1) Tobacco Road

2) Pine Needles

3) #2

3) Mid Pines

4) #4

5) Southern Pines

6) #8 

7) #7

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Where's Pinehurst No. 10 going located? I heard it was off site from the main Pinehurst resort, but I'm not sure in which vicinity. 

Going to be off of NC-5. Kind of behind German Motors of Aberdeen off of Fields Dr.

• Thanks 1

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Of the courses I've played (including others driveable from Raleigh)

1. Dormie Club

2. Mid Pines

(two of my top 5 favorite courses)

big gap 

3. Tot Hill Farm

4. Southern Pines

5. Pine Needles

big gap

6. Lonnie Poole

7. Talamore

The Instagram course:

8. Tobacco Road 

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

20 minutes ago, Gdane said:

Of the courses I've played (including others driveable from Raleigh)

1. Dormie Club

2. Mid Pines

(two of my top 5 favorite courses)

big gap 

3. Tot Hill Farm

4. Southern Pines

5. Pine Needles

big gap

6. Lonnie Poole

7. Talamore

The Instagram course:

8. Tobacco Road 

How different are Tot and Tobacco? I'm playing Tot in June along with No. 10 and was thinking about stopping by Tobacco on my way back to RDU.

2 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

How different are Tot and Tobacco? I'm playing Tot in June along with No. 10 and was thinking about stopping by Tobacco on my way back to RDU.

Tobacco is a completely different monster than Tot Hill. Majority of people would consider is the superior course. Tot Hill did just re-open last year from a renovation / restoration which should of helped it!

• Thanks 1

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all-

Planning a trip to Pinehurst/Southern Pines for my 40th as an alternative to Bandon which looks to now have the worst reservation process ever.  We are looking at October 2025 for a group of 4.

Few things:

We are committed to the following already:

Day 1: Flying in from Detroit and Playing No. 4 on arrival

Day 2: Playing No. 2 and the cradle

And staying two nights at Pinehurst Resort (Damn this is expensive as an aside).

We are budgeting our time to have two nights / three days left (including the day we fly out) after Day 2.  We will have a rental car.

What is the ideal way to spend Days 3, 4 and 5 (departure day) between golf and lodging?  

Not married to anything yet but I assumed it would be some sort of combination of Pine Needles, Mid Pines, Tobacco Road, Southern Pines, Talamore, Mid South.

I'd LOVE some recommendation on how to finish out that itinerary, particularly the lodging piece of it.  I dont really WANT to play Talamore but the villas look pretty perfect for what we are doing and it make sense to have a round there if so.  Assume this will be our one and only trip to the sand hills of Carolina.

Thanks in advance.

Unless it’s changed, 2 nights at pinehurst resort means you can play 3 rounds. Play 2, 4, (which you have listed already) and be sure to play 10. Personally I would save #2 for last day of the resort portion of the trip. 

Given your travel day being day 1 my trip would be as follows. 
Arrival day- #4

Day 2- #10, then #3, ending with thistle due. 

Day 3- #2, then cradle, and thistle due. 

Btw make that cradle tee time ASAP. We were told it didn’t need to happen in advance and then the 4 days we were they they were booked solid. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4

55 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Unless it’s changed, 2 nights at pinehurst resort means you can play 3 rounds. Play 2, 4, (which you have listed already) and be sure to play 10. Personally I would save #2 for last day of the resort portion of the trip. 

Given your travel day being day 1 my trip would be as follows. 
Arrival day- #4

Day 2- #10, then #3, ending with thistle due. 

Day 3- #2, then cradle, and thistle due. 

Btw make that cradle tee time ASAP. We were told it didn’t need to happen in advance and then the 4 days we were they they were booked solid. 

We were only going to do two rounds at pinehurst plus the cradle.

Day 1: Arrival day and No. 4 (and prolly Thistle)

Day 2: No. 2 and the Cradle

Day 3: Tobacco Road and Pine Needles

Day 4: Southern Pines and Mid Pines (if not played on Day 5)

Day 5: Mid Pines (if not played on Day 4) and fly home

I was thinking something like this.  Is Tobacco Road an absolute must play?  Not that its far but is is 30 mins away compared to just a few.

Our first two days I think our group is lockstep on. 

Its Day 3-5 I'm looking for the best itinerary and (cheap) lodging options.

31 minutes ago, Pepetito said:

I was thinking something like this.  Is Tobacco Road an absolute must play?  Not that its far but is is 30 mins away compared to just a few.

I haven’t played Tobacco Road so I can’t speak from experience there. Despite being in the area a couple of times some other guys here will be way more helpful with lodging than I ever could be. 

I think you would be making a huge mistake if you skip #10! The odds of it being the second best course on your trip after #2 is very high. You’re also staying and paying an unneeded day at pinehurst if you don’t play one of their courses day 3. If you guys decide to pass on #10 then you may consider only staying 1 night at the resort. It seems like budget is important and not having to pay a second night of peak season lodging could help with that.  (Possible it’s changed but I think 1 night allows you golf on day of arrival and departure with the resort. If that’s not true then disregard my idea of only staying 1 night.) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pepetito said:

If you want cheap lodging, I have stayed at mid pines, and pine needles.  Cannot say I'd recommend them, but when accounted for the golf cost, the lodging was basically free when we went.  Southern Pines, Mid Pines, and Pine Needles all good courses.  Holiday Inn Express in Southern Pines was a decently priced option as well.

I personally think Tobacco Road is a must play at some point in your golfing life.  If I were going to N.C., I wouldn't want to miss it.  I haven't played #2, but I prefer TR road to any of the other courses listed.  However, this is my personal preference.  If you want a traditional golf experience, TR is not it.  If you want a round of golf where every time you walk up to the tee you have to question what you are looking at, where to aim, and have to decide between 3 different clubs to hit... It could be up your alley.  To me, it is one of the best examples of what I look for in a golf trip.  Something different.  #3 was meh.  #1, #5, #6, and #7 might as well be local muni's that wind through neighborhoods.  I preferred Southern Pines and Mid Pines over Pine Needles.  

Tobacco Road is (sometimes) a nice option on the way back to the airport.  Is an exciting and different end to the trip and they have a shower (that can get crowded) to use before you pile back into the rental car.  However, rounds there can turn into 5 hour rounds...  and if your flight is early, it isn't worth the stress, or having to skip 3 holes to rush back to the airport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I haven’t played Tobacco Road so I can’t speak from experience there. Despite being in the area a couple of times some other guys here will be way more helpful with lodging than I ever could be. 

I think you would be making a huge mistake if you skip #10! The odds of it being the second best course on your trip after #2 is very high. You’re also staying and paying an unneeded day at pinehurst if you don’t play one of their courses day 3. If you guys decide to pass on #10 then you may consider only staying 1 night at the resort. It seems like budget is important and not having to pay a second night of peak season lodging could help with that.  (Possible it’s changed but I think 1 night allows you golf on day of arrival and departure with the resort. If that’s not true then disregard my idea of only staying 1 night.) 

I think you now have to stay at least 2 nights to get access to the premium courses.  

But fully agree with you that skipping 10 is a huge mistake. 

I’m in the early stages of planning my next trip to Pinehurst and getting on 10 is going to be by far the top priority. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Per Pinehurst you gotta do a two night stay.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ND2005 said:

I think you now have to stay at least 2 nights to get access to the premium courses.  

But fully agree with you that skipping 10 is a huge mistake. 

I’m in the early stages of planning my next trip to Pinehurst and getting on 10 is going to be by far the top priority. 

Never been to Pinehurst and assuming I wont be going back.  The play has to be playing No. 2 and No. 4 right?  Lets assume we are only playing two courses plus the cradle

53 minutes ago, Pepetito said:

Never been to Pinehurst and assuming I wont be going back.  The play has to be playing No. 2 and No. 4 right?  Lets assume we are only playing two courses plus the cradle

I have only seen the photos and the reviews but I think 10 will quickly surpass 4 as the “second best” course at the resort 

23 hours ago, Pepetito said:

Hi all-

Planning a trip to Pinehurst/Southern Pines for my 40th as an alternative to Bandon which looks to now have the worst reservation process ever.  We are looking at October 2025 for a group of 4.

Few things:

We are committed to the following already:

Day 1: Flying in from Detroit and Playing No. 4 on arrival

Day 2: Playing No. 2 and the cradle

And staying two nights at Pinehurst Resort (Damn this is expensive as an aside).

We are budgeting our time to have two nights / three days left (including the day we fly out) after Day 2.  We will have a rental car.

What is the ideal way to spend Days 3, 4 and 5 (departure day) between golf and lodging?  

Not married to anything yet but I assumed it would be some sort of combination of Pine Needles, Mid Pines, Tobacco Road, Southern Pines, Talamore, Mid South.

I'd LOVE some recommendation on how to finish out that itinerary, particularly the lodging piece of it.  I dont really WANT to play Talamore but the villas look pretty perfect for what we are doing and it make sense to have a round there if so.  Assume this will be our one and only trip to the sand hills of Carolina.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest playing 36 at Tobacco Road. The first go around is a bit tough, you don't know where to go, how much room there is, etc. The second round is awesome as you know it a bit better. Its a once in a lifetime golf experience. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5