2022 KPMG Women's PGA Championship (Jun 23-26)

2 hours ago, RainShadow said:

I'm all for speeding up play, but why put the final group on the clock with 4 holes to play? In a Major?

Seems petty to me. 

And then to fine two of the three in the group after the round? What a joke.

They don't do this to the men.

Then rush the award ceremony to finish in their allotted TV time. After not showing the end of the round on Saturday?

The women get no respect and are constantly getting burned by the TV coverage....

So how many groups from the end get to play under a different set of rules than the others?  Does the second last group get this courtesy?  Third group?

Just because they are in the final group does not mean they get to avoid rules that applied to the rest of the field.  It was 2 hours and 50 minutes to play the front nine.  The TV window they had scheduled was until 4 pm, they teed off at 10:30 am.  10:30, and they still couldn't make the TV window(went over by about 5 or 10 minutes.

You want to not get burned by the TV coverage, finish within the window you are given.  The TV networks aren't a charity.  Something that doesn't get a large rating can't also not stay within the TV window the network gives them.   The LPGA needs to get their house in order before complaining about network treatment.  They should be glad they got the main network and not the US Senior Open.  

• Like 3

Hey All,

First post I think however I may have registered as EasyEd (my usual moniker) years ago with a different email addy.

That said I can't really think of much of anything more painful in golf than Lexi with a putter in hand in a major so I'll offer my 2 cents Canadian.

My opinion is simple Lexi needs figure out two things:

1) The unanchored arm pendulum stroke from the shoulders simply does not work for her. I think her right arm messes up her putting. She is not anchored especially her upper right arm. It's like tin man on the wizard of oz tryin to putt. Sure she has other problems putting eyes closed? Really. Painful really painful to watch.

2) She is 6 feet tall an athletic. She needs to really clue in on others that were tall an very athletic like maybe the babe - she was anchored. Personally I think maybe a piston stroke like Nicklaus or Trevino might suit her better. I think the piston stroke is inherently more stable. Look at Jack Nicklaus an undeniably great putter - anybody really wanna argue with 18 majors? Both the pendulum and piston strokes work - but if one doesn't then consider the other. Irrespective she needs to start looking at alternatives.

I certainly wish her well and continue to be an exasperated fan.

-Ed-

Edited by EasyEd1
Wording

53 minutes ago, Lobby said:

Play slows down when the courses get difficult and the stakes are high.   If there's trouble for the approach shots, players will take a lot of time to decide the shot they're going to play.

That said, I play in 4 hours, and I hit the ball at least 15 times more than these ladies do.  

PLay slows down with *some* players when courses get difficult and "stakes are high."  But other players can do it in the allotted time.  So why the pass for the slow players?  

• Like 3

Pace of play goes right back at the officials. The first groups out set the pace. The trailing groups are only required to keep up with the group ahead. If the officials allow the lead group to play in 5 hours, then all groups will be on that 5 hour pace. No idea how a threesome can take 5 hours to play a round. 

In this case the final group fell two holes behind, and were rightfully put on the clock. However, even if they hadn't fallen behind it was still going to be a 5+ hour round. 

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

39 minutes ago, Raving Shanker said:

Well done by In Gee. I think she is an example of having her mind right. She just persisted.

Playing the back nine on Sunday under par, on that setup, having to come from behind after being in front all week long.  Yeah, that's major champion mental toughness right there.   

• Like 2

In Gee's victory is a triumph for proper preparation (going there some weeks before the event, playing and assessing and from that bagging the best club combo).

Maybe a blueprint for others playing a course that they don't know for an important event?

• Like 4

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, mcculld2 said:

$2000 fine - that's chump change  to Lexi. Talk about a token gesture.

Should be a penalty stroke for each clear hole you are behind the previous finishing group. (Unless there are extenuating circumstances that is)

I bet that would hurry them up!

Cheers

Strokes are the only thing that will get players' attention.  Still find it shocking TV networks haven't put their foot down.  Messing up their schedule without any type of irregular event(weather delay, playoff, etc.) can't sit well with them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lobby said:

My golf cart has a gps that, in addition to giving me yardages, also clocks me and tells me whether I’m playing too slowly. 

Seems like a reasonable thing for the pro tours 

The pros are only required to keep up with the group in front of them. If the lead group is playing on a 5 hour pace, there's not much the following groups can do about the pace. 

Once again, why are the tour officials allowing a 5+ hour pace for the first group out? 

As has been pointed out early, it's made for TV golf. In the majority of the rounds the final group finishes within the TV window. If there's a weather delay, rules delay, or playoff, then all bets are off. 

I've timed more shots than I can count. Players are "supposed" to play within 40 seconds, or 30 seconds of they're not the first to hit. Don't make me laugh. Players are routinely taking a minute to 2 minutes to hit. Absolutely love when a group gets to a green, has plenty of time to figure out the line/speed, and then the first player putts, and then the next player steps up and starts looking at their putt. What have they been doing for the last 2 minutes??? 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

The tee times for Sunday were actually moved up 20 minutes after the leaders took so long on Saturday (which included In Gee's double bogey adventure on 16). But all week players were taking almost 5 1/2 hours to play their rounds. I've never seen so much time taken over short putts.

• Like 1

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

The pros are only required to keep up with the group in front of them. If the lead group is playing on a 5 hour pace, there's not much the following groups can do about the pace. 

Once again, why are the tour officials allowing a 5+ hour pace for the first group out? 

As has been pointed out early, it's made for TV golf. In the majority of the rounds the final group finishes within the TV window. If there's a weather delay, rules delay, or playoff, then all bets are off. 

I've timed more shots than I can count. Players are "supposed" to play within 40 seconds, or 30 seconds of they're not the first to hit. Don't make me laugh. Players are routinely taking a minute to 2 minutes to hit. Absolutely love when a group gets to a green, has plenty of time to figure out the line/speed, and then the first player putts, and then the next player steps up and starts looking at their putt. What have they been doing for the last 2 minutes??? 

They finish in the TV window because they tee off so dang early.  5:45 for the last group.  5:45.  I'm shocked it's only a $2,000 fine. 

Spot on about the "out of position" and early groups allowed to be slow.

In fairness, I think it was Harbor Town where the final group had two open holes when they were the only group left on the course.  How does *that* not get a stroke?   

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

They finish in the TV window because they tee off so dang early.  5:45 for the last group.  5:45.  I'm shocked it's only a $2,000 fine. 

Spot on about the "out of position" and early groups allowed to be slow.

In fairness, I think it was Harbor Town where the final group had two open holes when they were the only group left on the course.  How does *that* not get a stroke?   

When a group falls behind, they get a warning. If they don't close the gap they get put on the clock. If their times are good at that point, or they catch up, there's no penalty. A group could fall several holes behind by several holes, but if each player doesn't exceed their time there'll be no penalty. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lobby said:

The more tv time they get, the more sponsor $ they get (from clothing logos)

Always follow the $

Are you saying this is why they are slow?  That may work for a while, but when TV decides the LPGA is more trouble than it's worth, then what?  Sponsors won't be paying for no tv time.  

3 hours ago, NikeGolfer76 said:

I was actually in attendance on Friday and Saturday. Regarding PoP, what stood out to me was the players’ tendency to mark short putts rather than finish the hole. Didn’t appear to matter whether it was for birdie, par, or double bogey+, seemed like the entire field would mark. Of course, that extra caution was too often justified by the number of missed “gimme” putts (lol).

There were two other instances of noteworthy slow play. First was the excruciating waiting periods between holes.  The worst case being—on Friday morning—where Lexi, Hull, and Shibuno seemed to wait forever from finishing their putts on the 14th to finally hitting their tee shots on 15. Considering the general goal is to keep pace with the group in front of you, the average wait between holes definitely seemed unusually long.

Secondly, at times the delays almost made you want to yell out, “hey play Ready Golf!” I’ll probably get roasted by typing this, but there was one hole on the back nine (Saturday) where it seemed that Minjee and Hannah Green seemingly could’ve finished the hole and been hitting their 2nd shots on the next before Henderson played her approach to the green. In full disclosure I was standing by the green, so I couldn’t really determine what may have happened to Brooke’s tee shot to have caused that delay—maybe they were waiting on a ruling. But regardless, waiting for Brooke to finally play her approach was gut wrenching. Crazy thing was even with that delay, when the group made it to the next tee, the group in front still wasn’t on the green. So bottom line, there was an abundance of slow play to go around.

Funny to note that a lot of times, the other golfers would actually proceed to the next tee while the final golfer was finishing the hole.  So it did appear to be a certain sense of awareness within the groups to pick up the pace. It just didn’t seem to matter; every grouping was playing to a 5+ hour pace.

But keeping it real, I’ve never played for a million dollar winner’s check. Therefore since I can’t really relate, I’m not trying to be overly critical. I actually had a great time. Unfortunately for those in attendance, removing so many of the trees (from the prior course layout) resulted in extended exposure to direct sunlight. Friday wasn’t horrible because it was generally overcast, but Saturday was a different story as it was mostly sunny all day. To that point, can’t end this (long) post without giving kudos to KPMG for providing complimentary water (Aquafina) to the crowd on Saturday (and Sunday I assume). It definitely made a difference in the intense sunlight, and was most genuinely appreciated. 

Does anyone know what has happened with Henderson?  She used to be a fast player.  Then somewhere she just did a 180.  She has been egregious since at least the win in LA last year.  

Don't feel bad about being critical.  Remember, there are players out there playing for the same money who can get the job done in the allotted time.  Slow players shouldn't be coddled.

Good on KPMG for handing out the water(and for buying a Pepsi product from a happy shareholder  🤣).  

• Like 2

IMO "women's sports" plus slow play isn't a winning recipe for better tv contracts.  On NBC they were competing with NASCAR for goodness sakes.  😞    While NASCAR/racing is supposed to be one of the leading tv sports revenue generators, it shows how little the networks think of LPGA/ladies golf.    Slow play isn't going to help move that.   FWIW even the tournament changed it's schedule (started play earlier - so that they can fit into the allotted time from NBC) to accommodate the network probably understanding that NBC wasn't going to accommodate the LPGA.  I am in the camp that says "put them on a clock" (which is the discretionary decision) but then after that - zero discretion - stroke penalty if the buzzer goes off.  Same as with tennis.   The slow speed kills interest in tv viewing.  Just my own opinion.  Shot clocks are in lots of sports now - NFL; NBA; tennis; they all adapt.  Same here for golf too IMO.

I  played the course yesterday - perfect weather day.   Played from 6200 yards (shorter than LPGA). Course was drier and had some run in it. Greens were firm by dry.   Shot 87 with my regular bogey golf game; couple of pars/couple of doubles; 2 birdies. On 18 I parred it by hitting the speed slot on the left to 90 yards; bumped a 4 wood down to the front, 2 putts.  ** I went back and tried the In Gee shot on 18 and put 2 out of 3 in the water.  Fun day.

Edited by ChipDriver
  • Like 2

I have no idea if my Twitter feed picks up similar golf posts from week to week, but from what I saw Monday the mood on Lexi has moved from mostly supportive (post ANA ball marking gate & CME missed putt) to more mocking, as if a blown opportunity is expected. 

It surprised me because she's been the US golden & it girl and seemingly teflon when it comes to criticism.

Although she won between the ANA & CME let downs and the recent US Open & KPMG let downs, the wins were mostly regular tour stops and the recent let downs nationally televised majors. Are the US casual fans looking for (or already found) another favorite?

One thing is for sure, she'll never lose the support of Beth Ann and Ron Sirak. Which is why I don't understand why she didn't take questions from the media for a second time. The US LPGA media won't go in  hard on her (or any other LPGA pro). I think she or any other athlete should possess the composure to take the first 3 or 4 questions minimum.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AWinfortheAges said:

Are the US casual fans looking for (or already found) another favorite?

That group has gone all in on Nelly Korda.   And you're fairly accurate about much of the mainstream golf media that is favourable towards Lexi.  I suspect a great deal of that goodwill comes from Lexi's willingness to speak to reporters and even during the let down at last year's USWO.   She's taken time to sign autographs for the kids post 72nd hole both at Olympic Club and at Congressional.  

In contrast to Lexi, Nelly has been extremely elusive if not aloof.   This was most pronounced after she refused to speak to the media post Olympic gold medal (and at the AIG Women's Open - her first event post Olympics).  But, I suspect many casual and not so casual golf fans are flocking to embrace Nelly instead of Lexi as their "champion" to bring home more major titles.   

As they say, everyone loves a winner.  And on the eve of the Tour de France. . . it seems only the French embrace a loveable loser.  🙂 

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

That group has gone all in on Nelly Korda.   And you're fairly accurate about much of the mainstream golf media that is favourable towards Lexi.  I suspect a great deal of that goodwill comes from Lexi's willingness to speak to reporters and even during the let down at last year's USWO.   She's taken time to sign autographs for the kids post 72nd hole both at Olympic Club and at Congressional.  

In contrast to Lexi, Nelly has been extremely elusive if not aloof.   This was most pronounced after she refused to speak to the media post Olympic gold medal (and at the AIG Women's Open - her first event post Olympics).  But, I suspect many casual and not so casual golf fans are flocking to embrace Nelly instead of Lexi as their "champion" to bring home more major titles.   

As they say, everyone loves a winner.  And on the eve of the Tour de France. . . it seems only the French embrace a loveable loser.  🙂 

Yeah Nelly is now the top draw in women’s golf. But I also share your observation that she doesn’t seem particularly media friendly. I already had that sense based on her post-round interviews and seeing her in person last week did nothing to change my opinion. Minjee has a similar thing going on but for a different reason, where her interview answers are really short (see US Open trophy presentation). I wonder if it’s because the LPGA is much more international than the PGA Tour with stronger language barriers that causes players to sort of retreat into their inner circle (caddy, coach, agent, etc).

By contrast, Lydia seems really good with the media but her ever present mom seems to make things more challenging for fans in person. Those 3, Nelly, Minjee, and Lydia are my favorites as a fan.

I didn’t try to get any autographs because I’m really shy about that kind of thing, but on Wednesday, as Minjee finished her practice round, she came off the 9th green and walked toward me almost that made it seem like she was expecting me to ask for an autograph. I was the only person standing in the spot between the 9th green and putting green and there was plenty of room around me and we basically brushed shoulder. Very strange yet memorable. In retrospect, I believe she was walking down 10 and past that green to get to the Golf Channel booth for an interview.

Edited by Yellow Jacket
  • Like 1

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

4 minutes ago, Yellow Jacket said:

Yeah Nelly is now the top draw in women’s golf. But I also share your observation that she doesn’t seem particularly media friendly. I already had that sense based on her post-round interviews and seeing her in person last week did nothing to change my opinion. Minjee has a similar thing going on but for a different reason, where her interview answers are really short (see US Open trophy presentation). I wonder if it’s because the LPGA is much more international than the PGA Tour with stronger language barriers that causes players to sort of retreat into their inner circle (caddy, coach, agent, etc).

I don't think it's a language barrier with Minjee. She grew up in Perth. I think she's just naturally shy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Argonne69 said:

I don't think it's a language barrier with Minjee. She grew up in Perth. I think she's just naturally shy. 

Sorry, I should’ve been more clear. I know she speaks English natively. I meant that because the LPGA has more language barriers, players sort of stick to their inner circles which also shows up in how they interact with media and fans.

But Minjee specifically does seem a bit camera shy.

• Like 1

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange