2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Done chasing new drivers

Warrick

On 10/22/2022 at 2:48 PM, Luke'sdad said:

Been fitting clubs for years, and w/the constant emphasis on lower spin models year after year, basically the norm from every OEM, the mid to slower swing player is getting phased out of most new options, not to mention most senior golfers. It gets harder to fit this level of player w/new gear that they can see significant improvement with. Most can't swing fast enough to even create modest spin w/ new drivers or the newer low spin, high launch shafts. These create too many challenges elevating the ball to benefit this level of player. Most will never achieve the swing needed to get any benefit from the new heads or shafts. I have had more success having these players search out older models, that created more spin, height, and needed accuracy, at a significantly lower price point. Found the same problems exist w/the modern 3 wood, which many of these golfers previously liked to use as a tee option. Ultra low spin is great for many players out there, but can be more of a problem for these types of golfers. 

I feel like Titliest is still paying attention to this segment of the market with TSi1 and upcoming TSr1. No success fitting that?

On 10/28/2022 at 6:00 AM, NZ315 said:

Never done chasing! Once a hoe always a hoe lol…. Can’t turn a hoe into a One club man

I can stick with one club but I can’t stop tinkering. I started with the stock Epic 10.5 with Project X im10 50 R flex. Then went to Tensei Blue 65 R. Cut it down 1/4”. Bought a 9 gram weight off the bay to replace the 5 gram weight. Hit some of the longest and best drives of my life. Had a bad day. Bought a new grip and cut another 1/4” off. Too short so went back to the im10. Changed out the weight. Went to range. Changed out the weight again. Bought a new Tensei Blue from CPO. Winter is coming so I’ll get this dialed in at the range or trade-in next season. Not chasing drivers yet but we will see. Thanks Golfwrx. Having fun though.

• Like 2

I've continued with delving into the driver stash.  

I mentioned on the previous page that I'd put together a Phenom NL 60 (actual weight, 67g) and plugged it into my SpeedZone.  Results were good, but an annoying tendency to overdraw.  I have a Fly-Z+, which I've always found to be somewhat fade biased.  Plugged the Phenom NL into this club, put the weight forward, it's lead taped to about D7-D8, and off I go.

Results are even better.  Actually, it's kind of stupid. 

At the start of the season, I was hitting the ball at a local establishment that was giving some quality measurements on distance and even swingspeed.  My driver was about 103-104 mph.  It's possible I gained a couple mph above that after playing about 70 rounds this year.  Why I mention that....   I started hitting the ball into the 270-285 range fairly consistently, including roll.  Admittedly, the ground is pretty firm here at the moment due to lack of rain, but it's no different than it's been over the last month or two, where I was not seeing this sort of distance.  I even popped a couple past 300, which is quite a surprise to this old guy.

The difference appears to be all about the spin.  Over the years, I've been a higher spin player off the tee, which has cost me yards; the super low spin clubheads arrived about 5-10 years too late for me, LOL.  This Fly-Z+ has always been pretty good for me in spin terms, and paired with my current swing, and possibly the Phenom NL, I'm getting results I can only describe as stupid (repeating myself).

FWIW, most of my tee shots were with a Tour B-RXS.  I hit one with a Kirkland 3pc, it got little roll, but was also into the breeze.

The only problem I've had with this is the overall shaft weight.  I've been playing nothing lighter than 75g, and until recently, was playing a Tour Blue 85 in driver.  I can occasionally flip this for an ugly quack hook, if I'm careless.

Sorry for the length, this has me pretty jazzed about my tee game. 

TLDR version, Fly-Z+ with new shaft works really well for late 50s grandfather.  Old stuff is still worth the effort.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

This post isn't about me.  I'm a ho.  🙂

But I played Sunday at a nice semi-private course.  The other twosome was a father and son combo.  Son was 16 and just learning the game.  Dad was in his late 50s and a single-digit handicap.  Simple, repeatable swing.  I think he shot 76 from the blues (6900yds).

Anyway, he's gaming a Titleist 909 with an Aldila Voodoo XVS7.  Said it was giving to him by a touring pro who stayed at his house years ago during a tournament. He was a machine with that driver yesterday: baby draws in in the 260-270 range.  I saw him make one bad swing all day.

If it works, don't try to fix it...

Edited by hagimihale
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Not me, at least not yet.  I play a Ping G425 Max and love it.  Then I found a PXG Gen 5 0311XF in like new condition for $239 and I couldn't pass it up.  So far, the PXG hasn't kicked the Ping out of the bag, but it is fun tinkering with a different driver and different shafts.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter