2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

Rory running hot!

Rory McIlroy says PGA Tour triumphs at venues such as Pebble Beach and Riviera will be devalued in the absence of two-time major winner Jon Rahm and other star players following their defection to LIV Golf.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mcilroy-sees-pga-wins-cheapened-233527762.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

LIV with no audience or sustainable cash flow? As soon as Daddy Warbucks loses interest the whole thing ends up in the dumpster. 

PGA Tour lives on regardless of what LIV does. 

True, that is the joker card. If PIF gets blocked to invest in the PGA do they counter full poach ahead with LIV or give up entirely? Stay tuned next week on CW following the Maury Show!

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Rory running hot!

Rory McIlroy says PGA Tour triumphs at venues such as Pebble Beach and Riviera will be devalued in the absence of two-time major winner Jon Rahm and other star players following their defection to LIV Golf.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mcilroy-sees-pga-wins-cheapened-233527762.html

LIV must have given Roy a percentage of nothing.

28 minutes ago, woahnelly said:

True, that is the joker card. If PIF gets blocked to invest in the PGA do they counter full poach ahead with LIV or give up entirely? Stay tuned next week on CW following the Maury Show!

They can certainly burn cash till the end of time. Will anyone watch it? Probably not. More would tune in to Maury to watch MBS burn dumpster full of cash 🤣

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

LIV absolutely nailed it with their shotgun start, as they can pack in 10x of the shots.

Then why is the viewership so low?  They have sufficient star power, a format they nailed (your words), and an unlimited budget so why isn't anyone watching?

Here is the Google Trends data for web interest for "liv golf":

image.png.eaf00058cd9714a2304f652bbbc95f05.png

I removed their launch week as it skewed the rest of the data, and they definitely made a splash early, but there hasn't really been any YoY interest growth as of yet.  So again I ask, if LIV is knocking it out of the park like you and others around here like to tout, then why isn't the product more popular?  Should they spend more on marketing and promotion?  

And since LIV is a global product,  here is the global data which shares a similar trend:

image.png.af690de87cb03660dc4b245e2a6f2ba1.png

• Like 4

Titlteist TS4 w/Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 50S

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Fairway w. Tensei Blue 6S

Callaway Paradym 7W w/ Graphite Design Tour AD UB 7S

Mizuno STz 230 Hybrid 23 w/ LINQ BLUE 75S

Yonex Ezone CB 301 5-PW w/ Nippon Modus TOUR125S

Ping S159 46S, 50S, 54H, 58H w/ Nippon Modus TOUR125S

Nordberg Håkon CU 34"

Looks like Jay found his sugar-daddy in Fenway/Strategic Sports Group. A $3B raise at the professsional golf poker table.  So now it's PGA Tour Enterprises.  It's still unclear how they are now a "for profit" business while still being a "non-profit" business?  And Rory now saying all defectors should be welcomed back with no penalty and that money is not the solution for the greed in professional golf.  This storyline remains a masters course in schizophrenia 🙃

Edited by fixyurdivot
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Neutral_Impact said:

On the topic of South Africa, the European tour already has 5 events in South Africa, perhaps there would be some potential in making one of them co sanctioned or making one a rolex series event

I like this.  South African & Australian Opens deserve more love.

If I were the PGA and/or Euro Tour, I would lock those and a few more national opens down as premier events (Canada, Ireland, Spain, Argentina)  No need to try to go all WGC on them.  You cannot buy that history.  I don't think Japan or Korea is letting any "foreign" tour near their national opens.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wedgegame said:

Then why is the viewership so low?  They have sufficient star power, a format they nailed (your words), and an unlimited budget so why isn't anyone watching?

Here is the Google Trends data for web interest for "liv golf":

image.png.eaf00058cd9714a2304f652bbbc95f05.png

I removed their launch week as it skewed the rest of the data, and they definitely made a splash early, but there hasn't really been any YoY interest growth as of yet.  So again I ask, if LIV is knocking it out of the park like you and others around here like to tout, then why isn't the product more popular?  Should they spend more on marketing and promotion?  

And since LIV is a global product,  here is the global data which shares a similar trend:

image.png.af690de87cb03660dc4b245e2a6f2ba1.png

Yes ive been checking the G trends out as well for a while and its terrible but…

If Rahm and BK and Cam are all in contention at a LIV event, and let’s say a couple more of their bigger names 

It will get a lot of views guaranteed. A lot. 

Tour doing the deal with SSG is great but they need to lock in PIF asap

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Yes ive been checking the G trends out as well for a while and its terrible but…

If Rahm and BK and Cam are all in contention at a LIV event, and let’s say a couple more of their bigger names 

It will get a lot of views guaranteed. A lot. 

I don't see it. People just aren't going to watch exhibitions. Other than Bryson tearing up Greenbrier can anyone recall anything at all that happened on liv last year??  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, billyspan said:

I like this.  South African & Australian Opens deserve more love.

It's not that easy to do. Remember that the South African and Australian events are also part of other professional tours yearly schedules. These events are only co-sanctioned with the DP Tour. The PGA Tour and DP tours aren't going to simply march into the Sunshine and PGA Tour of Australasia and co-opt or take over those events and cost those tours members playing chances. Those tours aren't going to sell their members out for that.

Edited by grm24
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, bcjim said:

I don't see it. People just aren't going to watch exhibitions. Other than Bryson tearing up Greenbrier can anyone recall anything at all that happened on liv last year??  

Chase Koepkas ace in Australia.. that's about it. I watched the final event Bryson was putting everything in, he might be able to win a major this year with his illegal clubs!

1 hour ago, Shankieboink said:

LIV will be gone in a few years. The reason is simple. And I have seen this so many times in different areas. LIV doesn’t understand their product. They sell golf tournaments to viewers. Who are these viewers? Mostly men, mostly guys who play golf. Some have been watching golf for 50 years or more. Others are new to it. These guys can be from all over the world. But one thing is pretty much the same no matter where you are from. The rules, and the tradition. It’s very conservative. But that is one thing that also give it a value. Like an old brand of whiskey. I think it’s a bit stiff some times, but you take the bad with the good.

Tiger Woods cheated on his wife. I personally don’t care. But people still write about it. Had it been hockey or some other sport. People would have forgot it in a week. Golf is different. We talk about Arnold Palmer and Ben Hogan as they were still active. We talk about 4-irons hit 40 sometimes 70 years ago. Every year at the TPC we get to see Fred Couples at the 17th when he hit his ball in the water and followed up with a par (hole in one) on the re hit. The audience are the guys watching this stuff. Year after year. 

What does the LIV tour do to get this audience interested? They create some plastic format. A wanna be hip club of celebrity golfers in short pants and loud audience. Music and shotgun start. Tons of money, for what? Yeah, some people will allways like these kind of new things. They are also the first to leave for something fresher. And the team names. Seriously, lol. Are these seriously some names for grown ups? Fireballs, Crushers, Ripper. ”Hey, I’m a former PGA-tour star. I used to play at Pebble Beach, Sawgrass etc, but not anymore.  Now I’m super cool and play for a team called Crusher. Because, eh. We crush..”

What a wonderful post. Liv is a poor spectacle, mimicking silly team names as per NFL. They tried to buy PGA Tour failed so caused waves. Eventually will be one. Golf ain’t a team game and never will be

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bcjim said:

There’s an inflection point 

many, including myself, will put on liv them shut it off in a few minutes 

But, if one Sunday I put it on and it’s Rahm, BK, Cam, BD and DJ all playing good golf and hunting the lead

I just might leave it on

Just being candid 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

Interesting comments from Morikawa on the PGAT's problem with TV viewership...it's too slow and you don't see enough golf. In contrast, LIV absolutely nailed it with their shotgun start, as they can pack in 10x of the shots. Plus, you get to see everyone playing vs. a featured group or just the leaders. As a golf fan, I appreciate the increased action and ability to watch more golf. 

“I turn on golf on a Thursday if I play early, I turn it on and I see three golf shots and I question why. The reason why other sports are — people pay attention is because people see more, you can probably bet more. People like betting when you can watch it live, not watch it on ShotTracer.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/collin-morikawa-discusses-problem-golf-120036811.html 

I'm a professional golf watcher and more shots without text will do nothing for my viewing enjoyment. Dizzying shot after shot from random players disrupts the flow of the telecast. IMO🙂 Sorry Collin...

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Why do you think they need to lock in PIF?  With Fenway Sports/SSG now serving as their domestic version of PIF, I don't really see the urgency.  Also, it will be interesting to hear what Papa PIF has to say about Jay's bed hopping.  It wouldn't surprise me if calls the bet and doubles down.  Multi billionaires don't take kindly to being one-upped.

Edited by fixyurdivot

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Why do they think they need to lock in PIF?  With Fenway Sports/SSG now serving as their domestic version of PIF, I don't really see the urgency.  Also, it will be interesting to hear what Papa PIF has to say about Jay's bed hopping.  It wouldn't surprise me if calls the bet and doubles down.  Multi billionaires don't take kindly to being one-upped.

If they don’t the pga tour will lose at least one top 10 player a year. Maybe a top 5. Maybe PIF goes nuclear and spends 2 billion in bonuses in one year and pulls 3 top 10 guys. 

It looks like Rory already has a foot out the door! 🤣

• Like 2