FootJoy Premier Fit

MCL116

I'm an extra wide guy with high arch living in Canada.  Always a struggle to find comfy shoes, though Ecco models with a wider toe box generally are  the best. I end up with too many shoes,  generally a bit of a compromise for length or width.

Footjoy Canada doesn't have the option on the website  for XW for any of it's shoes. I ended up taking a flyer this Spring on FJ MyJoy Premiers ($380 CDN with tax) in XW that being custom could not be returned if they didn't work. I bought a stretcher that helped  a bit but they were still a bit tight in the box, certainly I felt for walking on hot days. Gotta say the support in them is great and once I have them on in  a round (not that many rounds in with them) I don't really give them much thought. However I I'm still wearing  Eccos more often, generally favouring  the Biom G3 (spiked BOA and laced models).

I had hoped that these Premiers might work well out of the box and in future I would at least be able to get non-custom ones from FJ USA, either to a cross -border shipping depot or through a local shop.  With the news in this thread that FJ has gone to a slightly narrower last (due to the increasing Asian market I wonder?) unless I can actually try on an XW pair while on vacation in US I may just stick to Ecco.

Edited by myspinonit

4 hours ago, myspinonit said:

I'm an extra wide guy with high arch living in Canada.  Always a struggle to find comfy shoes, though Ecco models with a wider toe box generally are  the best. I end up with too many shoes,  generally a bit of a compromise for length or width.

Footjoy Canada doesn't have the option on the website  for XW for any of it's shoes. I ended up taking a flyer this Spring on FJ MyJoy Premiers ($380 CDN with tax) in XW that being custom could not be returned if they didn't work. I bought a stretcher that helped  a bit but they were still a bit tight in the box, certainly I felt for walking on hot days. Gotta say the support in them is great and once I have them on in  a round (not that many rounds in with them) I don't really give them much thought. However I I'm still wearing  Eccos more often, generally favouring  the Biom G3 (spiked BOA and laced models).

I had hoped that these Premiers might work well out of the box and in future I would at least be able to get non-custom ones from FJ USA, either to a cross -border shipping depot or through a local shop.  With the news in this thread that FJ has gone to a slightly narrower last (due to the increasing Asian market I wonder?) unless I can actually try on an XW pair while on vacation in US I may just stick to Ecco.

I’m an XW guy too. Have worn 9XW in Footjoy shoes for 30+ years. However, the sizing for FJ on the Premier and Pro SL is different this year. I ordered a 9XW Premier when first released. Couldn’t even get my foot inside it. I’ve confirmed it with FJ that both styles fit 1/2 size larger and one full width more narrow. The only shoe I have found to fit properly are the Stratos. Not my first pick for style, but they fit well, are very comfy, and have good grip. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

My Field's came in and the 11W is a much better fit than the 11.5W I tried in the Packard. I can see what @hammergolf is saying about the length and width being different cause these 11s fit like my 11.5 TourX length wise. Width wise these are a hair snug but not awful in width, I think an XW might be too wide and cause some heel slippage. To be fair what I paid for these and how soft the leather is I can get these to stretch and become quite comfortable, actually as I'm typing this I'm wearing them in my office, had them on for maybe 2 hours at this point and I can feel them stretching a bit since my left foot was sore 20min after I first put them on, lots of walks around, un-tying and putting them back on etc. 

A shoe tree and a few hits of leather conditioner will stretch these a bit more, if that works and I find them quite comfortable I'll drop the cash on a new pair of Packard's or Tarlow's since I prefer spiked shoes and these will be used on dry days. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

My Field's came in and the 11W is a much better fit than the 11.5W I tried in the Packard. I can see what @hammergolf is saying about the length and width being different cause these 11s fit like my 11.5 TourX length wise. Width wise these are a hair snug but not awful in width, I think an XW might be too wide and cause some heel slippage. To be fair what I paid for these and how soft the leather is I can get these to stretch and become quite comfortable, actually as I'm typing this I'm wearing them in my office, had them on for maybe 2 hours at this point and I can feel them stretching a bit since my left foot was sore 20min after I first put them on, lots of walks around, un-tying and putting them back on etc. 

A shoe tree and a few hits of leather conditioner will stretch these a bit more, if that works and I find them quite comfortable I'll drop the cash on a new pair of Packard's or Tarlow's since I prefer spiked shoes and these will be used on dry days. 

I wish FJ would communicate this to people and more importantly make sure it’s fixed for future models. Only reason I found out about the issue was because I ran into a FJ sales executive on a flight and he was the one that told me about the sizing difference. They make great shoes and the Premiers are no exception.

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

I wish FJ would communicate this to people and more importantly make sure it’s fixed for future models. Only reason I found out about the issue was because I ran into a FJ sales executive on a flight and he was the one that told me about the sizing difference. They make great shoes and the Premiers are no exception.

I guess but it's kinda hard to do since there is not set sizing in shoes. I range anywhere from 10.5 to 12 depending on the brand. I hope the next version they fix the sizing, I can deal with the length part that's not hard but the width is a huge factor for me. Like I said these Field's are snug but should stretch if they were painful I'd probably opt into the Tour Alpha's which I'm looking into anyways cause why not I love the TourX's 

Lefty - WITB Thread

2 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I guess but it's kinda hard to do since there is not set sizing in shoes. I range anywhere from 10.5 to 12 depending on the brand. I hope the next version they fix the sizing, I can deal with the length part that's not hard but the width is a huge factor for me. Like I said these Field's are snug but should stretch if they were painful I'd probably opt into the Tour Alpha's which I'm looking into anyways cause why not I love the TourX's 

That was always what was so good about FJ. They kept their sizing consistent for decades. Hopefully this is just a one time miss for them.

• Like 1

Do you guys have any issue with heel slippage/blister?  I have wide feet and usually wear 11 wires in Nike and adidas.  Sometimes I can go 10.5 if the run small or regular instead of wide if it’s a wider shoe by nature. 

finding the right size packard has been a nightmare of an experiment.  seems like 10 medium is my best bet as the 10 wides have significantly more heel slippage.  The 10 medium has heel slippage too but a cobbler said it will be less as the break in. 

really hoping to have no blisters with these because they look amazing and are better constructed than anything I’ve ever tried 

anyone else start with some slippage that got better with break in?

TM Stealth 9 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degrees 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degrees

TM P7MC 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

16 hours ago, JLP_GOLF said:

Do you guys have any issue with heel slippage/blister?  I have wide feet and usually wear 11 wires in Nike and adidas.  Sometimes I can go 10.5 if the run small or regular instead of wide if it’s a wider shoe by nature. 

finding the right size packard has been a nightmare of an experiment.  seems like 10 medium is my best bet as the 10 wides have significantly more heel slippage.  The 10 medium has heel slippage too but a cobbler said it will be less as the break in. 

really hoping to have no blisters with these because they look amazing and are better constructed than anything I’ve ever tried 

anyone else start with some slippage that got better with break in?

There are several mentions of heel slippage with the Premiers. I was always a 1/2 size larger in Nike or Adidas vs FJ and always found FJ to have a wider toe box. However, the new Premier styles do not have the normal sizing associated with FJ. The new Premiers run a 1/2 size larger, and 1/2 width more narrow. Most guys I’ve talked to who bought Premiers have went with a 1/2 size smaller and wider with than normal. So if they were a 10.5 Medium in previous FJ shoes, they went with 10 wide in the Premiers. 

59 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

There are several mentions of heel slippage with the Premiers. I was always a 1/2 size larger in Nike or Adidas vs FJ and always found FJ to have a wider toe box. However, the new Premier styles do not have the normal sizing associated with FJ. The new Premiers run a 1/2 size larger, and 1/2 width more narrow. Most guys I’ve talked to who bought Premiers have went with a 1/2 size smaller and wider with than normal. So if they were a 10.5 Medium in previous FJ shoes, they went with 10 wide in the Premiers. 

Their new sizing isn't much help for those of us barely finding XW wide enough.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, myspinonit said:

Their new sizing isn't much help for those of us barely finding XW wide enough.

Exactly, I had to return my Pro SL’s and order two pair of the Stratos. If they are going to keep the new sizing in the Premiers they need to offer an XXW through MyJoys. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Exactly, I had to return my Pro SL’s and order two pair of the Stratos. If they are going to keep the new sizing in the Premiers they need to offer an XXW through MyJoys. 

To coin a bad pun, apparently the FJ fit does not  last.

As I think I said earlier in this thread,   Footjoy Canada doesn't offer ANY XW on it's website, any model. 

So I bit the bullet and chose custom MyJoys this year from FJ Canada that could not be returned if no fit.  If the x-border shopping access was more favorable at the time I might have ordered XW stock Premiers from  FJ USA (or Amazon USA site) to a cross-border depot and had the option to return if not  a fit. 

In fact I hoped if the ones I got custom would be  a good fit that the cross-border shop could be on  an ongoing option with some trust in the fit. Apparently not.

7 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

To coin a bad pun, apparently the FJ fit does not  last.

As I think I said earlier in this thread,   Footjoy Canada doesn't offer ANY XW on it's website, any model. 

So I bit the bullet and chose custom MyJoys this year from FJ Canada that could not be returned if no fit.  If the x-border shopping access was more favorable at the time I might have ordered XW stock Premiers from  FJ USA (or Amazon USA site) to a cross-border depot and had the option to return if not  a fit. 

In fact I hoped if the ones I got custom would be  a good fit that the cross-border shop could be on  an ongoing option with some trust in the fit. Apparently not.

FJ knows about the fit issue. They have not communicated it to the public but they openly have told myself and I’m sure others that they fit big and narrow.

5 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Yep I’ve seen the comments on slippage but specifically looking to hear from people who have experienced it early and see if it got any better with break in.  Spoke to a cobbler to see if there was anything I can do to fix and he says the slippage will get much better after two weeks of use.  Fingers crossed. 

Sizing is definitely weird and not consistent shoe to shoe.  I got 10 medium and 10 wide and the lengths are not equal.  Weird

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

On 9/10/2022 at 4:07 PM, JLP_GOLF said:

Yep I’ve seen the comments on slippage but specifically looking to hear from people who have experienced it early and see if it got any better with break in.  Spoke to a cobbler to see if there was anything I can do to fix and he says the slippage will get much better after two weeks of use.  Fingers crossed. 

Sizing is definitely weird and not consistent shoe to shoe.  I got 10 medium and 10 wide and the lengths are not equal.  Weird

I'm worried about the same thing.  I usually wear a Size 11 in Adidas, and anytime I've tried FJ, I've had to go down to a 10.5.  The 10.5 in the Premier is much smaller of a fit than previous 10.5 FJ fits.  I tried on the Size 11s in the Premier, and the fit is much better.  My only worry was how much heel slippage I noticed walking around the store.  It's quite a bit of it, and I don't want to buy them if it's not going to get better.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

My heel slippage has virtually disappeared after break in.

I also got some blister socks, they have a little more heel padding and the rear collar on the sock so it doesnt slip down into the show....

My feet are very happy now

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

8 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

My heel slippage has virtually disappeared after break in.

I also got some blister socks, they have a little more heel padding and the rear collar on the sock so it doesnt slip down into the show....

My feet are very happy now

That’s great to hear… having my shoe repair guy add another hole around the ankle to help with lock down.  Hope it gets better

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

On 9/3/2022 at 1:50 PM, ChipNRun said:

Good to know. I have B-width feet, I tend to wear shoes from Nike and Adidas. These companies started out making running shoes and have a medium that's a bit narrower than other golf shoes.

This was my exact feeling, good to know I'm not crazy and FJ did indeed change the sizing a bit. I have gone a half size smaller in the Premiers vs the Icons and the Premiers feel more narrow.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

• 2 weeks later...

Wore the fields for the first time today just a range session, about 2hrs total with range and short game. Shoes were fine on the range, no issues swinging or anything, I did re-tie them but I tend to do that with all new shoes not broken in. 

I did notice after about 30-45min when practicing putting that I was getting a hair of heel rubbing and a bit of pressure on my outside toe on each foot.

I assume this will break in but they are not course ready for me, they are pretty comfo so far. I guess I'll be using these a lot this winter in the simulator. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

16 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Wore the fields for the first time today just a range session, about 2hrs total with range and short game. Shoes were fine on the range, no issues swinging or anything, I did re-tie them but I tend to do that with all new shoes not broken in. 

I did notice after about 30-45min when practicing putting that I was getting a hair of heel rubbing and a bit of pressure on my outside toe on each foot.

I assume this will break in but they are not course ready for me, they are pretty comfo so far. I guess I'll be using these a lot this winter in the simulator. 

Did you get them stretch? I’m thinking about biting the bullet on a pair of Fields then just get them stretched wider and deeper in the toe box.I love the look, and prefer a shoe that’s on the stiffer side. 

Edited by hammergolf

6 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Did you get them stretch? I’m thinking about biting the bullet on a pair of Fields then just get them stretched wider and deeper in the toe box.I love the look, and prefer a shoe that’s on the stiffer side. 

No after wearing them for a day in my office and a bit at home figured a normal break in should be enough for me. Just need that leather to mold to my feet, just hope the heel rub goes away but it was minor and the toe box opens a bit. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

When I tried on medium width ones, I found the toe box to be too tight.  Maybe they would have stretched out over time but I didn't want to risk it.  I ended up getting the Packard and the Field in wide (the only wide shoes I've ever owned) and adding heel grips to both.  A very comfortable and secure fit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 10:11 AM, cardigan said:

When I tried on medium width ones, I found the toe box to be too tight.  Maybe they would have stretched out over time but I didn't want to risk it.  I ended up getting the Packard and the Field in wide (the only wide shoes I've ever owned) and adding heel grips to both.  A very comfortable and secure fit.

what heel grips did you get - can you share a link?  wide was better for me everywhere but heel lock.  I tried to squeeze into medium and regret it.  they are so tight it hurts a lot after 12-13 holes.  also still get heel blisters.  want to love these shoes but can’t seem to make them comfortable 

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

3 hours ago, JLP_GOLF said:

what heel grips did you get - can you share a link?  wide was better for me everywhere but heel lock.  I tried to squeeze into medium and regret it.  they are so tight it hurts a lot after 12-13 holes.  also still get heel blisters.  want to love these shoes but can’t seem to make them comfortable 

I got the ones listed below but there are tons of different options on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092XMDQ78?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• 4 weeks later...

So I ended up getting a pair of the White Premiere this past weekend.  The size 11 was still bigger than I liked, so I decided to give a 10.5 a try and they fit perfectly for whatever reason.  The previous time I tried a 10.5, they felt too small. 

I've hit balls in them on the range once, and really like how stable they are.  I've worn them walking my dogs to help with the break in on them.  I'm hoping that I can loosen them up by Sunday to wear them walking 18 holes.  I just don't know how long to expect the break in to take, so I'll wear another pair if I'm questioning how broken in they are come Sunday morning.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

On 8/21/2022 at 8:38 AM, MCL116 said:

I got a pair of the packards in a 10.5. There’s a bit of heel slippage when walking in them.

Then I got a pair in a 10. No heel slippage but I’m slightly concerned with the fit in the toe box.  It’s not uncomfortable standing in them or walking in them right now but I’m thinking about over the course of 5 hours especially walking.

So my question is, do I stuff an insole in the 10.5 for a snugger fit, do I stick with the 10s and let them break in/expand, or are the premiers just not for me?

I can't use insoles in mine without the heels slipping..

Edited by bogeypro

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

15 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Footjoys almost never need "breaking in".  Wear them on Sunday, and put another pair of old golf shoes in the largest pouch on your golf bag, for re-assurance.

What I mean by breaking in is the heel slipping.  The soles are a little stiff but fine and the leather is soft enough that it's not hurting my feet.  It's the heel slippage a blisters I'm trying to avoid that I get with leather golf shoes when they first get worn walking a full 18 too soon.  The shoes are very comfortable after a range session.  

WITB

• 2 months later...

I think I finally got my Fields broken in, for reference I'm normally wearing an 11.5W in almost every golf shoe that has a wide option. But the 11.5W in the Premier line just felt a touch too big in the heel and I hate heel slippage, so I figured an 11W would be better and they were kinda snug. 

I got a pair of the Fields on the back end of my season, wore them once on the range and dogs were barking at the end of the session, wore them again at Christmas in a simulator and a bit better but added a pair of SuperFeet inserts and that seems to help. Used them for 5 hours in the simulator this past weekend and maybe at hour 5 one of my toes started to get sore but today my feet are fine. Granted I didn't do any walking in them just swinging and walked around the room my feet are fine. Shoot my back was sore and did some air squats in them and had range like I was in my weightlifting shoes so I like the stability they have. 

I did feel like I was retying them a bit just to get them tighter but I think that was more down to my sock choice that day, I'm sure if I do a FJ sock or something with a bit more cotton it will grab better.  I also want a pair that is spiked I just like spikes better but also don't want to pay retail so keeping my eyes open for a pair on ebay or the BST in my size. 

With all that said who knows how the sizing will be this year. 

Lefty - WITB Thread