TMRW Sports - Tiger & Rory

PracticeSwinger

28 minutes ago, smashdn said:

You're right.  But unfortunately I do not have time right now to detail how I was thinking about it.  But for shorthand, just imagine if there was full "buy-in" from all the players and the top-level guys were playing LIV more similar to Champions League football.  If LIV was the limited field, upper-crust event, but you had to earn your way on.  And from a team standpoint there was a draft.  Say captains were the top placing guys on PGAT and DPWT and had to draft from the remaining eligible players.  I don't know or care how the owning of teams or franchises works out.

Again, I was thinking there would be significant changes made.

I don't buy that TGL is some sort of great new concept for golf.  It is still golf just a 2d version of it with the ball hit into a screen.  Unless we are cheering what amounts to trackman numbers, we are still watching a ball, hit by a player towards a target, travel through the air, and come to rest some distance from the target.  The difference is we traded the real life golf course for a digital one.  Which, I will admit, means the actual golfers are in much closer proximity to one another and can jaw at one another.  Maybe that aspect is going to be a big draw for this? 

I think there is a version of the future in which the framework deal moves forward and LIV becomes something like your proposal. I just think it is going to require some significant changes and major compromise.

1st nobody cares about the current construction of LIVs team element. Until the year end competition there is really nothing "team" about it. I like the season ending event but everything up to that point is boring, force fed garbage. What does a compelling team series look like? 

Assuming the find a way to have a compelling team series, now you have to actually get stars to participate. Nobody is going to play more than 20-25 events per year. 5 of those events are spoken for (4 majors + the players), so we're down to 15-20 weeks to work with. Is the PGAT going to materially diminish a substantial portion of its schedule by outsourcing it's talent to a team event? 

The PGAT has 40+ events to work with so everything is doable. The problem is that Jon Rahm isn't going to play an unlimited number of times. Every team event he plays is coming at the expense of a traditional tour stop. That is the crappy Catch-22 that they'll need to figure out. You can create a cool team series, you just have to kill Well Fargo or Colonial in the process.    

Edited by Dutch1008

15 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

I think there is a version of the future in which the framework deal moves forward and LIV becomes something like your proposal. I just think it is going to require some significant changes and major compromise.

1st nobody cares about the current construction of LIVs team element. Until the year end competition there is really nothing "team" about it. I like the season ending event but everything up to that point is boring, force fed garbage. What does a compelling team series look like? 

Assuming the find a way to have a compelling team series, now you have to actually get stars to participate. Nobody is going to play more than 20-25 events per year. 5 of those events are spoken for (4 majors + the players), so we're down to 15-20 weeks to work with. Is the PGAT going to materially diminish a substantial portion of its schedule by outsourcing it's talent to a team event? 

The PGAT has 40+ events to work with so everything is doable. The problem is that Jon Rahm isn't going to play an unlimited number of times. Every team event he plays is coming at the expense of a traditional tour stop. That is the crappy Catch-22 that they'll need to figure out. You can create a cool team series, you just have to kill Well Fargo or Colonial in the process.    

For the team stuff I think they need have match play integrated into the stroke play portion of it.  My foursome on the weekend can do it, surely they can.

Maybe to satisfy the lack of cut problem with OWGR, they say the guys not in the top 25 or whatever the number is are now matched up and play some iteration of match play for team points.  teams get points for the guys in the top whatever that advance to the stroke play last round and guys who didn't are still able to help their team by scratching some points out in a match play consolation.

I think you definitely need a deeper field for that to be compelling though.  I don't think many are gonna want to watch Kevin Na and Laurie Canter in match play consolation for a few points for their teams.

57 minutes ago, jdl said:

Yeah, I’ll be goin in that place 🤣

“An overnight failure to the temporary power system used during the construction phase caused partial deflation and limited damage to the air-supported dome section of the site,” according to a statement from TMRW Sports. “The dome section has been further deflated by our crew and will remain down while they work to remedy the situation. There were no injuries, and no technology was impacted. Other work on site will continue.”

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2023/11/15/tgl-sofi-center-dome-collapse/

7 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Sahiiiiiiith!

What's with the exceedingly slow roll out of the teams? It would make some sense if people didn't know what players were participating. 

Also, the logic behind where these players are being slotted makes no sense. 

Why is Cantlay on the ATL team instead of southern gentlemen Kevin Kisner? Cantlay should join the NYC squad w/ Justin Rose. Forcing Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley together is too funny not to happen. 

How are Fitzpatrick and Lowry not on Rory's Boston squad?  

How is Horschel not on the Florida team? The dude bleeds Florida. How is Adam Scott not w/ Tiger, both as old men and the fact that Adam copied Tiger's old swing.

How is Homa not already on the LA team? Are SF and LA arm wrestling for his rights? I don't think a guy that loves the Dodgers is going to want to represent SF. They are mortal enemies. 

Why haven't they announced Cam Young to NY? He's the only major golfer from there, of course that's where he'll end up. Why delay the inevitable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

What's with the exceedingly slow roll out of the teams? It would make some sense if people didn't know what players were participating. 

Also, the logic behind where these players are being slotted makes no sense. 

Why is Cantlay on the ATL team instead of southern gentlemen Kevin Kisner? Cantlay should join the NYC squad w/ Justin Rose. Forcing Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley together is too funny not to happen. 

How are Fitzpatrick and Lowry not on Rory's Boston squad?  

How is Horschel not on the Florida team? The dude bleeds Florida. How is Adam Scott not w/ Tiger, both as old men and the fact that Adam copied Tiger's old swing.

How is Homa not already on the LA team? Are SF and LA arm wrestling for his rights? I don't think a guy that loves the Dodgers is going to want to represent SF. They are mortal enemies. 

Why haven't they announced Cam Young to NY? He's the only major golfer from there, of course that's where he'll end up. Why delay the inevitable. 

🤣 good stuff

I didn’t even realize there was a NY team and just looked and see hedge funds guy Steve Cohen owns it. He owns the Mets too

Man this thing is hype train 🚂 more than Neon Deion lol. Hope it doesn’t bomb, they will all look like total morons 🤣

OOps:  https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/38908287/woods-mcilroy-virtual-golf-venue-damaged-roof-collapse

The launch of Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy's simulator golf league could be delayed after an overnight power outage caused deflation and damage to the air-supported dome section of the Florida-based venue, TGL said on Wednesday.

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

With Rory and Tiger being such staunch advocates for the rollback and that being best for the future of the game you would think they would want to show the game how they believe it is best played. 

They both have this great opportunity to come up with a golf league format and they veer the opposite direction of what they have been preaching. 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

4 hours ago, kasting333 said:

With Rory and Tiger being such staunch advocates for the rollback and that being best for the future of the game you would think they would want to show the game how they believe it is best played. 

They both have this great opportunity to come up with a golf league format and they veer the opposite direction of what they have been preaching. 

Think more like if Federer and Sarina had invented 

Pickleball 🤣

They wouldn’t claim it’s serious Tennis 🎾 

Thats what this is

No joke though, if it does anything like Pickleball, it will be in good shape 

This is what Pickleball did with Agassi and McEnroe playing.  

IMG_6045.jpeg

Is  PickleballWRX the next big thing?

Get 12.6% more points with the new Titleist XB1 racquet.

Footjoy’s new Pickleball glove is worn by more pros than any other kind.

Callaway DualTrack ball delivers more spin than any other brand.

Edited by Soloman1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

41 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Is  PickleballWRX the next big thing?

Get 12.6% more points with the new Titleist XB1 racquet.

Footjoy’s new Pickleball glove is worn by more pros than any other kind.

Callaway DualTrack ball delivers more spin than any other brand.

It would seem so. More pickle ballers than golfers 🤣

IMG_6131.jpeg

• Like 1

Bummer.  I was all for the 2-hour prime-time sim golf league.  Still crazy that they can't setup the screen and green/short-game surfaces in a real actual dome.  Like maybe one that one of the owners owns in Atlanta.  An inflatable tent over an un-used sports field practice facility was all they could muster up?

Jerry Jones should be on the phone asap.  Get him a Dallas Franchise in exchange for using the Cowboys stadium.  Central location, they are used to doing tons of non football events there.  My cousin was assistant producer for the Cowboys, and 80% of what he posted about was non-football.  He is now head of productions at MSG. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

53 minutes ago, subrew said:

Bummer.  I was all for the 2-hour prime-time sim golf league.  Still crazy that they can't setup the screen and green/short-game surfaces in a real actual dome.  Like maybe one that one of the owners owns in Atlanta.  An inflatable tent over an un-used sports field practice facility was all they could muster up?

Jerry Jones should be on the phone asap.  Get him a Dallas Franchise in exchange for using the Cowboys stadium.  Central location, they are used to doing tons of non football events there.  My cousin was assistant producer for the Cowboys, and 80% of what he posted about was non-football.  He is now head of productions at MSG. 

Tiger isn't going to Dallas once a week.  This doesn't work if it's not convenient for many of the players. Tiger, especially. 

2 hours ago, jdl said:

Not too surprising given recent events.

Most of that delay is probably to avoid conflicting with the regular golf season. So my guess is they could only afford a 5 week actual delay and thats if they do some matches on tape. I also wonder if they were even on schedule prior to the collapse as we still havent seen images from inside the arena. Only renders and images from their test studio.

2 hours ago, subrew said:

You had one job, keep the dome going...  They don't have a generator?  Im not saying this is a conspiracy but its odd and I could see this all being doomed now. 

• Like 3

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW , Wilson X31's 1970 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

38 minutes ago, Maine Golfer said:

You had one job, keep the dome going...  They don't have a generator?  Im not saying this is a conspiracy but its odd and I could see this all being doomed now. 

Seems like an excuse to me… I think they were disappointed with how it was received 

• Like 3

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

1 hour ago, Maine Golfer said:

Ahhhh it seemed a bit rushed. Better it happened now than in the middle of the “season”

Who knows but I assume they will give it another whirl. 

1 hour ago, Maine Golfer said:

From an article I read about this it appears a temporary power system and it's backup failed causing the dome to deflate. Also high winds were in the area that night that might have contributed to the issue. People will think what they want.