TMRW Sports - Tiger & Rory

PracticeSwinger

2 hours ago, GoTime said:

The world is about to see these guys for the dorky losers they are. Gonna be painful.

Cuz all the rest of us golf nerds are being exposed too??? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I wonder what poor Foltz will say during his LIV moaning segment when TV viewership for this eclipses that of LIV 😂

For what its worth I watch LIV as I enjoy watching golf, but I think this will be more entertaining. Short, sharp and fills a gap on a Monday evening during a long winter. Imagine how much better it would have been if LIV didn't exist and had some of the bigger LIV names making up teams. 2 hours of this will be more entertaining that DJ walking round like a zombie for 3 days collecting his cash.

Curious to see who will be on Tiger's team, and what he will call it

• Like 2

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

Keegan playing for Boston is the only logical choice on that team.

Can't believe they didn't push for a TGL London.  And group all the UK boys together.

• Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

I get why they tapped into the money streams and sold teams to existing deep pocket guys like NFL owners, but the geography of the teams is so dumb.  So far we've got a guy known for being from Norcal playing for LA.  A guy known for playing at Alabama and living in Florida playing for Team Atlanta.  And a Northern Irishman, an Aussie, and a brit playing for Boston.

Why not Team California, Team Texas, Team Florida, Team New England, Team UK, Team International.  Have some semblance of geography to get behind.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, subrew said:

I get why they tapped into the money streams and sold teams to existing deep pocket guys like NFL owners, but the geography of the teams is so dumb.  So far we've got a guy known for being from Norcal playing for LA.  A guy known for playing at Alabama and living in Florida playing for Team Atlanta.  And a Northern Irishman, an Aussie, and a brit playing for Boston.

Why not Team California, Team Texas, Team Florida, Team New England, Team UK, Team International.  Have some semblance of geography to get behind.

the current owners all have other franchises that can cross promote the tgl. they also have venues that could expand to include a tgl venue if those become a thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, subrew said:

Yeah I think just having team names and no regional affiliation would have been fine. 

Although the Atlanta Braves are usually affiliated with the entire south as “their team” as far as Major League Baseball is concerned so that makes sense for Thomas. Boston sort of has this Irish connection so kinda makes sense for Rory but with pro sports teams the players aren’t all made up of guys with connections to the city they play in. Patrick Mahomes isn’t from Kansas City. Josh Allen isn’t from Buffalo. Lebrons not from SouthernCalifornia. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

This is going to be hilariously awesome!

Imagine TH full insanity unleashed without inhibition! 🤣

Gonna be a lot of “bleeped” out expletives!

And then camera 🎥 pans over to Adam Scott’s stoic expression!

Ratings bonanza

Agreed, and if it really catch on, I can see a home facility for each team in the future.

I'm not a team golf guy, but I will check out the first couple of events......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, subrew said:

Pretty sure Morikawa is from SoCal and grew up right outside of LA. However, I mostly agree with you. Adam Scott and Tyrell Hatton on Team Boston makes little sense. Keegan is obviously a fit and you can make an argument for Rory as his wife is from the NE so he at least spends some time in that corner of the country.  

That said, teams we're always going to be based on the location of the ownership group. Basing it on where the players are at is pretty limiting...

Team Jupiter

Team West Palm

Team Sea Island

Team Scottsdale

Team Vegas

Team Dallas 

15 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Agreed, and if it really catch on, I can see a home facility for each team in the future.

I'm not a team golf guy, but I will check out the first couple of events......

Wonder what the full cost of the build out is? 

I could see an interesting set up where you partner w/ a local university and it becomes a multi-use facility. University golf team has access during the day, lease it out to corporations for team events, or rich people for birthday parties. You could even convert it to a campus movie theatre. Who needs IMAX when you can throw a beanbag on a putting surface and watch the next Star Wars film.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave230 said:

It seems Jon Rahm has pulled out of the league, removed all social media posts about it and not appearing on the website.

13 hours ago, Dave230 said:

Aren't all the matches in Florida too? Suits Florida residents but Rahm lives in Arizona, maybe the wife was like 'no way!' Similar to Jordan Spieth living in Texas.

Suits Tiger, Rory, JT and all those Bears Club hangers around Palm Beach.

https://twitter.com/AlanShipnuck/status/1720101517540393341

image.png

• Like 3

I see this "legacy" term thrown around all over when LIV comes up.

Realistically, what legacy are these guys creating on the PGAT?   Who out there right now has the ability/capability of crafting a true and meaningful legacy?  Maybe it is just me thinking this, and that is ok by me, but to me defining a golf legacy is based almost solely on majors, rightly or wrongly.  Tiger was the only guy within striking distance of Jack.  Tiger, in chasing Jack and in how he drives the viewership/interest in golf and moving that needle, are his legacy (the personal stuff exempted).

You can argue that all of them are creating a "personal legacy" out there.  I mean this as no disrespect or slight because I cannot certainly play golf to even a shaving of their abilities, but has Jordan Spieth created a golf legacy with his accomplishments?  Keegan Bradley?  Even Rhambo for that matter?  Not only asking have they created a legacy but do they have the time left in their careers, given the competition around them, to do so?  If you take out Tiger, there is no one on the PGAT currently in the top 20 major winners of all time.  Rory (4) has to win 3 more to crack the top ten all time.  Maybe the bar is just too high?  Maybe you cannot think of legacy in those terms because the competition and depth just won't let you get to those heights.  Maybe you have to define it (for themselves) in a different way.  Money is one way.  Popularity, impact, influence are others.

I don't like agreeing with Shipnuck too often but his last point in that tweet seems true.  To the top guys the majors are what matters.  The top guys already have (and I hate this phrasing) "enough" money to the point that winning the Houston Open doesn't make waves for them.  Those regular tour events, aside from being opportunities for "tune-ups" or to "get some competitive golf under their belt" just get in the way of the four majors.  Anything else (TGL, "The Matches", etc.) alter that scheduling and flow.

If you follow football/soccer much you know guys are trying to recover and get their bodies to peak every three days or so.  That is because of the scheduling of the matches between league matches and cup matches which are typically mid-week.  Similar to golf in that they want to peak at the majors.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Realistically, what legacy are these guys creating on the PGAT?   Who out there right now has the ability/capability of crafting a true and meaningful legacy?  Maybe it is just me thinking this, and that is ok by me, but to me defining a golf legacy is based almost solely on majors, rightly or wrongly.  Tiger was the only guy within striking distance of Jack.  Tiger, in chasing Jack and in how he drives the viewership/interest in golf and moving that needle, are his legacy (the personal stuff exempted).

You can argue that all of them are creating a "personal legacy" out there.  I mean this as no disrespect or slight because I cannot certainly play golf to even a shaving of their abilities, but has Jordan Spieth created a golf legacy with his accomplishments?  Keegan Bradley?  Even Rhambo for that matter?  Not only asking have they created a legacy but do they have the time left in their careers, given the competition around them, to do so?  If you take out Tiger, there is no one on the PGAT currently in the top 20 major winners of all time.  Rory (4) has to win 3 more to crack the top ten all time.  Maybe the bar is just too high?  Maybe you cannot think of legacy in those terms because the competition and depth just won't let you get to those heights.  Maybe you have to define it (for themselves) in a different way.  Money is one way.  Popularity, impact, influence are others.

I don't like agreeing with Shipnuck too often but his last point in that tweet seems true.  To the top guys the majors are what matters.  The top guys already have (and I hate this phrasing) "enough" money to the point that winning the Houston Open doesn't make waves for them.  Those regular tour events, aside from being opportunities for "tune-ups" or to "get some competitive golf under their belt" just get in the way of the four majors.  Anything else (TGL, "The Matches", etc.) alter that scheduling and flow.

If you follow football/soccer much you know guys are trying to recover and get their bodies to peak every three days or so.  That is because of the scheduling of the matches between league matches and cup matches which are typically mid-week.  Similar to golf in that they want to peak at the majors.

Nice post sd 

Every kid who lives golf and is blessed enough to make it to the big show understands exactly how they measuring up because of the thousands who have come before them on 

The PGA Tour

20-30 pga tour wins, 4 majors 

Thats a legacy that lives forever. Sure, it’s just a note in the record books, but your name stands, ranked against the legends of the game. 

And I wouldn’t underestimate how important it is for even the top guys to win a non major. Even if it’s “just” a regular stop.

You see how pumped they get when they actually win a pga tour event. As they all say,

It’s hard to win out here. 

22 hours ago, subrew said:

They should have followed liv's example of putting teams together as they've paired them up perfectly.

🤣

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

The pga tour could own a major by now if it weren’t so mismanaged. 

Tournament of Champs 

LA Open 

Pebble Beach Pro Am 

Phoenix Open

API

Players

Colonial

The Memorial

Canadian Open

The Western Open

Aside from the players all of these great events have been over sold to sponsors and either partially or completely had their identity taken away. They even sold the Euro Tour’s name along with all tournament names. That alone devalues everything

The focus of the pga tour has clearly been about packaging and selling more ads rather than preserving tradition or improving the competition to elevate their product. Fedex points, sponsors exemptions and everything else is just done on a whim and I think it takes away from what they could be selling for more. It’s really a shame and a disservice to the game. 

That said it is not too far gone for new leadership to step in and improve so much by just realizing the cart is in front of the horse. 

• Like 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

12 hours ago, Llortamaisey said:

Can a 4 handicap from WRX beat Rory on simulator golf?

No but they could destroy Spieth

I would like to see how Bryson attempt to get an edge in this thing. He would definitely hack the simulator or take advantage of some glitch 

• Like 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

55 minutes ago, idrive said:

They should have followed liv's example of putting teams together as they've paired them up perfectly.

🤣

I think the LIV Teams are stupid too.  A couple at least have attempted to be somewhat regional, like Torque, Rippers etc.  

I've always thought the teams should have been OEM/MFG based.  Taylormade, Callaway, Nike (for the un contracted club guys) etc.  These guys already get together in the off season, each of the OEMs have their own social teams already, with hype men like Trottie and Wunder.  It could just be as simple as those companies not wanting to invest any  money in LIV (obviously) or TGL.  So in TGL's case they sought after bank rolls like Serena, Fenway, Curry etc.  

4 hours ago, smashdn said:

Good post but that just seems to limit legacy down to GOAT or nothing. Does John Elway have no legacy because Joe Montana won more Super Bowls? Does Montana's legacy no longer register because Tom Brady surpassed him? Does Arnold Palmer have no legacy because he failed to exceed the accomplishments of Hogan? Does Hogan fail because he failed to exceeds the accomplishments of Hagen?

That seems incredibly reductive to me. Of course Jordan Spieth has a legacy. He won three legs of the grand slam before his 25th birthday. He was an absolute shot of adrenaline into a sport that was struggling to find a player to take the mantle from Tiger. He's failed to build on that in any meaningful way but that doesn't erase what happened. 

Take a look at the thread "Favorite Tour Picture". It is chalk full of non-GOATs that golf fans remember fondly. That is legacy. If that thread survives 20 years, would anybody be surprised to find someone posting a picture of Spieth behind the tour trucks at the Open talking about how much fun he was to watch? Or someone posting a photo of the bunker shot he made to win his first tournament? 

Rory is probably my favorite player to watch right now. While watching him dominate Congressional and Kiawah was awesome, stuck in my brain are the fairway woods he hit down the stretch on Sat & Sun to win the Irish Open or the ridiculous long iron bullet he hit through 30 mph crosswinds to win the Scottish. Those weren't majors. Just acts of brilliance that I'll remember. No different than watching John Elway avoid a sack, scramble to his right, then plant his foot and launch a laser 60 yds across the field for a TD on a Sunday in November. Neither of those events may classify those guys as the GOAT but it did leave a legacy.   

• Like 4

5 hours ago, smashdn said:

Dude, some guys are proud when they enter their high school hall of fame not to mention becoming a legend at their college alma Mata.......most of these pros come from golfing families down to their parents and grandparents. So yes, legacy matters to some. Golf is about tradition to many.

Just getting to the PGAT is an accomplishment that your family can be proud of......IMO

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Dude, some guys are proud when they enter their high school hall of fame not to mention becoming a legend at their college alma Mata.......most of these pros come from golfing families down to their parents and grandparents. So yes, legacy matters to some. Golf is about tradition to many.

Just getting to the PGAT is an accomplishment that your family can be proud of......IMO

if thats all it takes to have a legacy why then does playing for millions of dollars on liv not add to a legacy. In my horrible opinion it does even if us keyboard warriors dont care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch1008 said:

Good post but that just seems to limit legacy down to GOAT or nothing. Does John Elway have no legacy because Joe Montana won more Super Bowls? Does Montana's legacy no longer register because Tom Brady surpassed him? Does Arnold Palmer have no legacy because he failed to exceed the accomplishments of Hogan? Does Hogan fail because he failed to exceeds the accomplishments of Hagen?

That seems incredibly reductive to me. Of course Jordan Spieth has a legacy. He won three legs of the grand slam before his 25th birthday. He was an absolute shot of adrenaline into a sport that was struggling to find a player to take the mantle from Tiger. He's failed to build on that in any meaningful way but that doesn't erase what happened. 

Take a look at the thread "Favorite Tour Picture". It is chalk full of non-GOATs that golf fans remember fondly. That is legacy. If that thread survives 20 years, would anybody be surprised to find someone posting a picture of Spieth behind the tour trucks at the Open talking about how much fun he was to watch? Or someone posting a photo of the bunker shot he made to win his first tournament? 

Rory is probably my favorite player to watch right now. While watching him dominate Congressional and Kiawah was awesome, stuck in my brain are the fairway woods he hit down the stretch on Sat & Sun to win the Irish Open or the ridiculous long iron bullet he hit through 30 mph crosswinds to win the Scottish. Those weren't majors. Just acts of brilliance that I'll remember. No different than watching John Elway avoid a sack, scramble to his right, then plant his foot and launch a laser 60 yds across the field for a TD on a Sunday in November. Neither of those events may classify those guys as the GOAT but it did leave a legacy.   

That was my point.  It does seem to me, from a player perspective, if, as some are agreeing, that a "golf legacy" is tied to majors, it very much limits who has a meaningful one.

Now the second bolded part, I don't disagree, but that is looking at it from a fan perspective and not from a player's perspective.  Does a top player find motivation in knowing he will one day 20-30 years from now be fondly remembered by someone on an internet message board with a picture of his younger self wearing perhaps hilariously out of fashion clothing hitting a golf shot or hoisting a trophy?  Does being adored by the fans make you stay after your round on Sunday and hit the extra buckets of balls?

I think we put too much emphasis on this legacy stuff (which is what I truly believe), to justify the actions or inactions of guys just playing golf and making a living doing so.  If the measuring stick (and thus legacy and motivation) is majors, few are in a position to have the capability of reaching a level where it is truly meaningful.  (Though I think for those with no major wins, having one changes things dramatically and for those with one or two, the next logical progression is a career grand slam.  That is certainly fuel for motivation but I don't think anybody is doing so in the pursuit of a legacy per se.  "Man I got to grind and get this first major under my belt so I can leave a legacy on the game."  Consciously or sub-consciously I don't think that is going through many guys' heads.)

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Which would be a personal legacy that I mentioned in the first post.

34 minutes ago, smashdn said:

That was my point.  It does seem to me, from a player perspective, if, as some are agreeing, that a "golf legacy" is tied to majors, it very much limits who has a meaningful one.

Now the second bolded part, I don't disagree, but that is looking at it from a fan perspective and not from a player's perspective.  Does a top player find motivation in knowing he will one day 20-30 years from now be fondly remembered by someone on an internet message board with a picture of his younger self wearing perhaps hilariously out of fashion clothing hitting a golf shot or hoisting a trophy?  Does being adored by the fans make you stay after your round on Sunday and hit the extra buckets of balls?

I think we put too much emphasis on this legacy stuff (which is what I truly believe), to justify the actions or inactions of guys just playing golf and making a living doing so.  If the measuring stick (and thus legacy and motivation) is majors, few are in a position to have the capability of reaching a level where it is truly meaningful.  (Though I think for those with none, having one changes things dramatically and for those with one or two, the next logical progression is a career grand slam.  That is certainly fuel for motivation but I don't think anybody is doing so in the pursuit of a legacy.  "Man I got to grind and get this first major under my belt so I can leave a legacy."  Consciously or sub-consciously I don't think that is going through many guys heads.)

Thanks for clarifying. I agree that legacy is more of a fan/media focus, then it is a players focus. I don't think a players motivation is all that different from most people. They want to build a good resume, live a comfortable life, have the respect of their peers, be remembered as good in whatever way they want to define it, look back with pride on what they've accomplished. Everyone wants to leave a legacy in some way, it's just how we define it that changes. The movie Troy was pretty underwhelming but I did appreciate the line from Achilles, "I want what all men want, I just want it more". 

There is an interview w/ Iona Stephen and Adam Scott that recently was posted to Youtube. She asks him about what he still hopes to accomplish and he quickly responds, "a 2nd major. I've always thought of myself as a person w/ the talent to win multiple majors".  I'm paraphrasing here but that was the gist. So while a 2nd major may not mean much to fans or the media in the grand scheme of things, its really important to Adam Scott and whatever idea of legacy he has. Perhaps that is why he didn't join the rest of the older crowd at LIV? Perhaps the same is true of Justin Rose? Or perhaps what kept Justin Rose from leaving was the goal of being a Ryder Cup captain and adding that to his legacy? Beats me, I'm not their confidant or their therapist. 

Edited by Dutch1008
  • Like 1

Morikawas comments about this need to be as ridiculed as The Gooch’s comments about a LIV event being like the RC. 

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Tour Ad Di 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 

Titleist U500 3iron

TaylorMade P7MC 4-Pw Nippon 120 

50° Titleist Vokey SM8

54° Titleist Vokey SM8

60° Titleist Vokey SM8

TaylorMade Spider SR

TP5x /Pro V1