2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Center Shafted

achappy

It could be me but I've noticed more and more of the LPGA players playing center shafted putters.  Watching this week's LPGA Brooke, Lydia, Lucy Li, Hatoaka offhand appear to be using one.  Sungjae also plays one.  I've been thinking of playing one for a while. Used to play a Wishon Smooth 6 center bore and remember putting really well with it.  Can't even remember why I sold it LOL.  

Wondering who plays one and what made you switch to it?

Maltby KE4 TC Max UST V2 HL Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW C-Taper Lite Stiff

Titleist SM7 52*/S, 58*/D DG120 Stiff
<Searching>

I think I've had two center shafted putters over the years. Current gamer is a Golfsmith NCC-1701, which is center shafted. Putt really well with it (not my pic).

spacer.png

Putters really come down to what works for you. What fits your eye. What you feel comfortable/confident with. 

Personally, I just liked the look of this one (in spite of having no interest in star trek). I gave it a shot and it's been in my bag for quite a while. 

15 hours ago, pmcuk said:

I don't know if my stroke is suited to centre shafts but I like using them. RH and left eye dominant. 

That would be interesting to see if the people that use them and putt well tend to be RH/right eye dominant.   I’m right eye dominant but like the way low offset putters setup. Anser type hosels look closed to me.

Maltby KE4 TC Max UST V2 HL Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW C-Taper Lite Stiff

Titleist SM7 52*/S, 58*/D DG120 Stiff
<Searching>

As a user of a straight centre shafted putter I have also, as previously mentioned, noticed quite a few on the LPGA tour and a few on the PGA using centre shafted putters

I have used a right hand straight centre shafted Scotty GoLo S5 for years but I also have a Newport 2.6 (centre shaft) which I like but it doesn't like me as much. I am left eye dominant and just find they are more successful for me ie. I make more puts, particularly the short ones within 3/4 feet. I am looking to replace the GoLo which is now looking quite old and recently purchased a Phantom 5S on the spur of the moment when I saw it in a shop but I am finding it difficult to get used to the shape and lack of a line on the GoLo which seems to help me with alignment.

Maybe someone would ask Scotty Cameron to offer a flowback model (they did a special build for Im) and even better if it was in a dark/oil finish.

2 hours ago, mjo23 said:

Can anyone speak on the difference between a standard center-shafted putter, and the L.A.B Mezz?

The Mezz is going to be zero torque; the center-shafted putters will likely be face-balanced.  They're not the same thing. 

The zero-torque putter, as I understand it, and I'm likely understanding it wrong, is supposed to have its face perpendicular to the arc of your swing, throughout the swing, due to how it's balanced.  (Or perpendicular to the target line throughout your swing, no matter the arc of said swing.  I forget, and the website explains it better anyway.)

I'm an early Pelz adopter.  "Thou shalt have a straight back and through putting stroke, with a face-balanced putter, because Perfy likes it that way."  Or something.  So, I bought an original Plop. (Center-shafted poor MOI "blade-ish".)  Wasn't great on mis-hits, ok on fast surfaces.

Then I got a DF 2.1.  This thing wiggles throughout the pendulum. (Don't Fight It!)  And the strike makes my hands feel like they've been Novocained.  But it just works.  I make putts I previously had no business making, and I start giggling.  Cause damned if I can explain it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

The Mezz is going to be zero torque; the center-shafted putters will likely be face-balanced.  They're not the same thing. 

The zero-torque putter, as I understand it, and I'm likely understanding it wrong, is supposed to have its face perpendicular to the arc of your swing, throughout the swing, due to how it's balanced.  (Or perpendicular to the target line throughout your swing, no matter the arc of said swing.  I forget, and the website explains it better anyway.)

I'm an early Pelz adopter.  "Thou shalt have a straight back and through putting stroke, with a face-balanced putter, because Perfy likes it that way."  Or something.  So, I bought an original Plop. (Center-shafted poor MOI "blade-ish".)  Wasn't great on mis-hits, ok on fast surfaces.

Then I got a DF 2.1.  This thing wiggles throughout the pendulum. (Don't Fight It!)  And the strike makes my hands feel like they've been Novocained.  But it just works.  I make putts I previously had no business making, and I start giggling.  Cause damned if I can explain it.

Interesting. It’s starting to gain more and more traction on Tour (and LIV, Sergio just put one in the bag), so the tech is legit. I’ll be all over buying one whenever they come out with a more ‘standard’ head design - i don't hate the current design, but it’s just not for me

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

Ive used a CS mallet on an off, but recent fittings confirmed I aim and stroke it best.  I have the new Phantom 5s and really love it, clean with just a topline.  Im right hand, right eye dominant.  

The mezz does intrigue me though, it is more onset than anything I have used in the center/straight shafted category and the tech behind it makes sense.  For the time being I am making putts and dont want to rock the boat just yet.

DF2.1 turned me on to CS putters.  DF2.1 didn’t work out for me in the long run but turned me on to Cleveland 11.5C, Ping Tyne C, evnroll2cs, and Sub70 Sycamore cs.

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Driving Iron  Ping iCrossover 2i Ventus Blue 9x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

I’ve tried them several times.  One of the better feeling designs to my mind but I always tend to pull em a tad after a brief period with them.  Far prefer a toe hang blade.   Guess I’m just no good at waiting for it as it seems the toe is going over just a bit to early in my stroke.  
So I think an open closed stroke, as mine is, needs to be tuned up a lot for that change. If your coming from a face balanced design may be easier.  

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Jailbird Cruiser.  

• 1 year later...

I bought a Scotty Fastback 1.5 about 18 months ago - an impulse buy.  I putted a little better on the longer putts, but not well on the 3-8 footers - too much toe swing.  A few months ago, I benched the Scotty and pulled my 23-year old Mizuno TPM3 out of the closet.  It is almost center shafted, and the difference is night and day.  Not only am a making the short putts, but my distance control on the longer putts has improved a lot. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 7:35 AM, achappy said:

That would be interesting to see if the people that use them and putt well tend to be RH/right eye dominant.   I’m right eye dominant but like the way low offset putters setup. Anser type hosels look closed to me.

There are a number of threads here on RH players that are left eye dominant gravitating to center shaft or low offset putters. I fit the bill. 

• Like 3

On 11/27/2023 at 7:04 AM, KaBoom21 said:

There are a number of threads here on RH players that are left eye dominant gravitating to center shaft or low offset putters. I fit the bill. 

This is news to me but I use a CS and am RH/LE dominant. 

Edited by FlashinLeather
  • Like 1

Center shafted putters have been a game changer for me and my game. So much that I’m known as a good putter now, which is the exact opposite of what I used to be… and converted a bunch of my friends to the CS putter life 🙌

And to add to the statement that only RE-dominant players will see good results w CS putters: I was always RE-dominant person, but after a medical issue, I somehow became LE-dominant 🤷🏻‍♂️and after discovering a CS putter, I have never turned back… (minus my pension for collecting Scotty Cameron’s that I never get to put in play…..)

My favorite has to be the SC Red X2. She’s not a looker, but def gets the job done. I have two versions that i regularly game: my first love is a 33” version w BGT shaft and Garsen Quadpro grip and the second is a counter-balanced/extended (to 37”) version inspired by Ricky/Wyndham, with loads of lead tape on the bottom of the head and finished w a Garsen Quad Tour 17” trip.   

Glws you won’t regret the move! 

TSR3 8* w Autoflex 505x shaft
Titleist 915fd w Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Fujikura Tour Spec Blue 7 

Miura CB1008 4i-PW w Oban CT-115 S shafts
Miura Tour Wedge HB 48*, Miura K Grind 2.0 54* & 60* w Oban Ct-115 wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Red X center shafted putter (I love anything CS)
Titleist Prov1x

The left eye dominance has more to do with the offset than the center shaft. I’m trying to find a decent looking, high moi, zero or negative off set that not center shafted. Not much luck so far

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9°@11° Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
Cobra King Tour 5-G Project X LS120 6.0  

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

On 12/2/2023 at 9:05 AM, Yzmerf said:

The left eye dominance has more to do with the offset than the center shaft. I’m trying to find a decent looking, high moi, zero or negative off set that not center shafted. Not much luck so far

I'm left eye dominant and putt right handed.  The Versa alignment on the 3T has changed my putting game for the better.

I want to try center shafted now. 

I think I have a problem......

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

14 hours ago, st1800e said:

I found centre shafted great for shorter putts, say inside 10’. Not as good on longer putts , esp when you get to 25-30’ +.  

Is your center shafted putter relatively heavy or light?  For me, weight seems to be a bigger factor on lag putting than the alignment.  Then fast or slow greens seem to matter for me as well.  Heavy better on fast, light better on slow for me.  It's probably all in my head, just like the tree to the right on hole 15 at golf league.......  

21 hours ago, goalie said:

I'm left eye dominant and putt right handed.  The Versa alignment on the 3T has changed my putting game for the better.

I want to try center shafted now. 

I think I have a problem......

I have heard that lining up the face works well for left eye dominant righties. That’s the point of the versa right? By the way I was a goalie in the Roy era as well. I do miss it

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9°@11° Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
Cobra King Tour 5-G Project X LS120 6.0  

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

3 minutes ago, Yzmerf said:

I have heard that lining up the face works well for left eye dominant righties. That’s the point of the versa right? By the way I was a goalie in the Roy era as well. I do miss it

Yes, lining up the face with that big white strip is idiot proof for left eye dominant golfers putting right handed.   I was amazed that just that "fixed" my alignment to near perfect at my fitting at ECPC.

As for goalie, I played until I was 47.  Started in the 70's.  Hockey Day Minnesota's outside game at -4* stopping a penalty shot on TV, and breaking in pads for the first Wild outdoor game with Don Beaupre 

hockey1.jpg

hockey7.jpg

• Like 3