2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Wilson Staff Dynapwr and Dynapwr Carbon Drivers spotted on USGA Conforming List

mrmikeac

On 3/8/2023 at 10:30 PM, jholz said:

Checked out the Rick Shiels review this evening. Obviously just one point of reference.

But from that review, it seems like the difference between the carbon and "not-carbon" is sound and how much you want to pay.

Ultimately, it's going to be interesting to see how this goes. I'd personally love to see Wilson Staff back amongst the premier OEMs in the game. 

But, Cleveland (Srixon) had a similar kind of thing going on with Mark Crossfield - I'm not sure it it really did much to move the market.

I've played the Cleveland drivers. They are high quality products. Never seen another one on the course.

I think the Wilson driver is also a good product. I mean, I'm not shelling out $500 for it...

but but perhaps others will?

For me there was a substantial difference in feel and flight. Carbon felt great and was a very neutral ball flight. Titanium felt good but not as good as carbon. For me the titanium was a draw biased driver. 

I’d pay the price if they won out in a fitting but it’s gonna be tough to dial in the Wilson driver with their limited shaft lineup. That to me is always going to hold them back. 

• Like 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

1 hour ago, Corey Pavins Moustache said:

For those rare few who have seen a Dynapwr driver in person, any thoughts as to whether they sit neutral, open, closed?  Specifically interested in the Carbon driver but wondering if there's any difference in how the 9 degree or 10.5 degree look behind the ball at address.  Thanks.

Only going to be able to kind of help, but I've swung the titanium 10.5 and waggled the Carbon 9. Both to my eye sit about as dead square as you could ask for, but I only had them in the neutral setting.

• Like 1

I do agree their selection of shaft options could be better though they do offer some pretty good options overall. Could see it being a problem for those who go the full bespoke route that many are on this forum for. 

On a positive note, looks like they have a decent spread of fitting events coming up. They seem to be going to retailers as well as featured partners & courses so there will be opportunity to hit them out on the range if you're in the right city. 

Might go to a fitting day to talk with the reps and see what's up with their overall campaign. The free swag won't hurt either. 

https://www.wilson.com/events/golf/en-us/schedule/

• Like 1

@Corey Pavins Moustache

I didn't see any issues at address. Paid a lot more attention to the Carbon to be fair, and it seemed neutral. TXG mentioned that their only gripe was it sitting slightly more upright than the competition, but I'm coming from an older driver that was more "traditional" in that regard so it didn't stand out to me. 

The TS3 I hit probably was a little less upright, but I didn't feel any more or less comfortable with either. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, PedronNiall said:

Finally got mine in and it is literally joy inducing. Had so much fun putting it through the paces a bit at the range. Had a few cackles and some smiles; luckily I had it to myself so no one thought I was a madman. Guessing I'll get it out to the course sometime this week or next weekend depending on what work allows. Only caveat I'd give is that if you're super OCD you may want to stick to natural wood tees only. It does quite a job of taking the lacquer off painted tees, though I find it kind of cool to see a visual of the slight deflection at impact.

20230317_172116.jpg.1d628b43d8f363e26c082f8128d0cd59.jpg20230317_172303.jpg.e758d54a515b2d9b626882dadf660d65.jpg

20230318_174239.jpg.78f08faf6ba7c8863e61d60ba1541133.jpg20230318_174310.jpg.d2a87cf397105789fb45fa4ce64f97a6.jpg

Felt very comfortable setting the face slightly open for an easy fade down the center or squaring it up for a slight draw. The sound and feel are excellent. The indoor fitting didn't do it justice at all. Wilson has a winner here so let's hope they realize it and get the club some more attention.

What specs did you get?

Will they adjust weights for shorter lengths?

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

13 hours ago, kylesilk said:

What specs did you get?

Will they adjust weights for shorter lengths?

9.0, neutral, with the EvenFlow Riptide 60 S. For whatever reason it played better for me than the Ventus Blue that's the standard S offering and the HZRDUS options as well.

Think I'm going to head to one of their fitting events just to try a few more shaft combinations since they'll have the whole cart out, but I got consistent numbers indoors with the Riptide and out on the range it had a very consistent flight right where I wanted it.

Edit: I played around with the custom options on the site and don't see the weighting option, so it looks like it may be something that can only be done when making a request through a vendor.

Edited by PedronNiall

On 2/23/2023 at 3:30 AM, Red4282 said:

As long as wilson always tries to hold on to its past, they will always struggle. It also doesnt help when you go to budget sports stores and see the cheap box set type stuff. If it was me, Id totally reinvent the name, new logo, new attitude, big marketing push, even sign a huge player.    Also back it up by making top of the line products. You have to scrap the cheap stuff. Yea companies like Callaway can do that because they have that luxury. Wilson cant. 

On 2/23/2023 at 11:58 PM, mantan said:

I totally agree. If they want to be serious about golf, dump the standard Wilson line and just market the Wilson/Staff brand.  They are such a premium brand in other sports, that I can't imagine their discount line of golf equipment is worth submarining the entire Wilson golf brand.  If it's that profitable, then just flood that part of the market and don't try to market against other OEMs for mainstream golf equipment.

The fact that they persist with their current strategy tells you which products drive their profit. 

Those package sets are sold globally and they don't have to be updated every 18 months to keep up with the big golf brands. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I saw these in person today for the first time. Very impressive and honestly my favorite looking driver of the new releases. Didn’t get a chance to hit it but it’s definitely on my radar. The fairways and hybrid look great as well 

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Any WRXers experimented with different shafts and swapped the adapter?  If so, does anyone know whether the driver ferrule/adapter is one piece or if the ferrule is separate and will melt when pulled and need to be matched/replaced? 

I've got a 10.5 Carbon and would like to swap shafts and test out but don't want to get past the point of no return and burn chances of re-sale should I not be able to match the ferrule part.  I did check with Wilson and they will not sell separate adapters so pulling is only route I know right now.  Also if no reply and I elect to pull, I'll update my findings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corey Pavins Moustache said:

Any WRXers experimented with different shafts and swapped the adapter?  If so, does anyone know whether the driver ferrule/adapter is one piece or if the ferrule is separate and will melt when pulled and need to be matched/replaced? 

I've got a 10.5 Carbon and would like to swap shafts and test out but don't want to get past the point of no return and burn chances of re-sale should I not be able to match the ferrule part.  I did check with Wilson and they will not sell separate adapters so pulling is only route I know right now.  Also if no reply and I elect to pull, I'll update my findings.

Might ask a Wilson vendor if they can order one.  I'd like to know the answer to this myself.  Billybobs is a good place to check too.

• Like 1

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

@Corey Pavins Moustache

Pretty sure the rep I talked to said they could get them. I asked as I wasn't 100% certain the shaft I went with would be the one once I got outdoors. Honestly blows my mind a little that Wilson themselves said they wouldn't do it. I'd follow up with that and make sure you didn't just get a reply from someone who was too lazy to check for you.

If it's really the case it just cements even more that there are too many people over there getting in the way of a good thing. It's pretty much essential given that all but a few of their offerings are an up charge and that many people try and use multiple drivers over a given season, etc.

Also underscores the foolishness of no standardization for adapters, but I haven't seen others holding out on letting you buy theirs at least.

Edited by PedronNiall
  • Like 1

Talked to my Wilson rep the other day, they are going to make adapters available.  Initially they weren't but apparently realized they really needed to if they were serious about making a run into the market with these.  Not going to be cheap, dealer cost is about 30 bucks on them and they are available in limited quantities now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@PedronNiall @CLEVELAND59

@kylesilk

Good recommendations and thanks for the info.  Just to confirm, the no sale info came from me emailing Wilson directly via some contact link on their main website.  I think someone just looked on their site, saw it wasn't listed as a typical item that is sold, and they told me no and to contact a rep or Amazon. 

I wasn't aware of any Wilson reps but after doing some searching, I came across the contact info for someone on the East coast.  I got in contact with them (quite helpful actually) and can confirm that adapters are available for sale.  Not sure how easy it is for the reps to get though and quantity may be limited.  In this instance, the rep had a few extras that another customer opted not to buy.  The cost is approximately $30 per adapter but given limited supply, I pulled the trigger and purchased both.

Also, the photo below depicts that the adapter is separate from the ferrule.  When I get them I will try and see if I can match the ferrule part with a common size in the event people pull the adapter but destroy the ferrule in the process and will update this thread with what I find. 

Adapters.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I ended up buying the 3 wood today , they had a big presence at PGA superstore I was at. Tried out bargain stuff first in a Sim 2, Tour edge c721 and 522 woods,g425 3 wood,  a tour edge 4 hybrid, and a Callaway UW.

Salesman suggested I give the Dynapower a try , I wasn’t planning to spend that much but I was surprised how it went further for me than the all the others and I had less bad shots with it. Very forgiving in the limited sample size I had. 

• Like 2

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

On 3/29/2023 at 1:02 PM, Corey Pavins Moustache said:

@PedronNiall @CLEVELAND59

@kylesilk

Good recommendations and thanks for the info.  Just to confirm, the no sale info came from me emailing Wilson directly via some contact link on their main website.  I think someone just looked on their site, saw it wasn't listed as a typical item that is sold, and they told me no and to contact a rep or Amazon. 

I wasn't aware of any Wilson reps but after doing some searching, I came across the contact info for someone on the East coast.  I got in contact with them (quite helpful actually) and can confirm that adapters are available for sale.  Not sure how easy it is for the reps to get though and quantity may be limited.  In this instance, the rep had a few extras that another customer opted not to buy.  The cost is approximately $30 per adapter but given limited supply, I pulled the trigger and purchased both.

Also, the photo below depicts that the adapter is separate from the ferrule.  When I get them I will try and see if I can match the ferrule part with a common size in the event people pull the adapter but destroy the ferrule in the process and will update this thread with what I find. 

Adapters.jpg

I’m glad they will be selling them but it won’t take long and after market adapters will be available. 

On 3/31/2023 at 12:52 PM, DCCarpenter said:

I ended up buying the 3 wood today , they had a big presence at PGA superstore I was at. Tried out bargain stuff first in a Sim 2, Tour edge c721 and 522 woods,g425 3 wood,  a tour edge 4 hybrid, and a Callaway UW.

Salesman suggested I give the Dynapower a try , I wasn’t planning to spend that much but I was surprised how it went further for me than the all the others and I had less bad shots with it. Very forgiving in the limited sample size I had. 

It looks really good.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 3/28/2023 at 3:15 PM, Corey Pavins Moustache said:

I’m not taking a shot here because I think the driver looks great but if you’re worried about  resale you may want to look at other brands. I really don’t think Wilson drivers are not going to hold value at this point. 

Edited by tomg1969

On 3/30/2023 at 6:05 PM, Red4282 said:

Peter finch was bombing this in his recent video but caved the face in. Uh oh

Good insights from both vids so dropping them in for the curious. First covers both the Titanium & Carbon with a benchmark against each other and at the end against the Ping G430 Max. Second is the Carbon against all the big boys @ 120mph & flat out.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:05 PM, Red4282 said:

Peter finch was bombing this in his recent video but caved the face in. Uh oh

He also cracked his stealth 2

Went to a Wilson demo day Saturday. There weren't a lot of people in the store so I got to try the Dynapower Carbon and Ti for a good number of swings.

First up was the Carbon in 9° lofted up to 10 with the stock Ventus in stiff which I hadn't swung yet. I was stiff myself and though I had a couple good swings the inconsistency was noticeable. Feel and sound were excellent but I couldn't get dispersion down. 

The rep said 'let's try the Ti and put the Ventus in it' and I swear it was like a switch clicked. RPMs were at most 100-200 over the Carbon and yardage on the monitor was 2-3 yards less shot for shot, but the ability to keep the ball more down the middle was pronounced. In the end I averaged longer with the Ti than the Carbon simply because the straighter shots went farther than the Carbon's bendy shots. 

Best of all, it looks like right now on Wilson Custom it looks like you can order the Ti with the Ventus blue from the carbon for no upcharge.

Very tempting to pull the trigger!

20 hours ago, James the Hogan Fan said:

Went to a Wilson demo day Saturday. There weren't a lot of people in the store so I got to try the Dynapower Carbon and Ti for a good number of swings.

First up was the Carbon in 9° lofted up to 10 with the stock Ventus in stiff which I hadn't swung yet. I was stiff myself and though I had a couple good swings the inconsistency was noticeable. Feel and sound were excellent but I couldn't get dispersion down. 

The rep said 'let's try the Ti and put the Ventus in it' and I swear it was like a switch clicked. RPMs were at most 100-200 over the Carbon and yardage on the monitor was 2-3 yards less shot for shot, but the ability to keep the ball more down the middle was pronounced. In the end I averaged longer with the Ti than the Carbon simply because the straighter shots went farther than the Carbon's bendy shots. 

Best of all, it looks like right now on Wilson Custom it looks like you can order the Ti with the Ventus blue from the carbon for no upcharge.

Very tempting to pull the trigger!

motivational just do it GIF

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 1:58 AM, realitycheck said:

Correct @sanzo

The lenght of 45.75 is just putting me off  as I'd get it an inch shorter than that but then the s.weight would change and might feel odd  but if it kept up with the new release distance wise then it's on my list  as the forgivness should be there too ( for titanium)

On 5/7/2023 at 6:35 PM, kylesilk said:

Is the HZRDUS red option a real deal shaft ?

AFAIK, yes. There was no mention of it being a made-for, etc. That & the Ventus options are the genuine article.

Unrelated note so I don't want to bump, but relevant to other discussion in the thread: half way into the season and I constantly see Tour Edge & PXG running commercials, yet zero from Wilson in a year when they've just revived a historic line from their brand. 

Their marketing strategy is horrid. They're lucky that a handful of content creators and some good buzz has gotten the new clubs in hands, but they missing a ton of potential dollars by not getting these in front of more eyes. Doubly so with the $499 price points with many other OEMs at $599 or higher with base options. 

Edited by PedronNiall

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been playing the 10.5* carbon for three weeks with a 60g hzrdus rdx red…great stick! Actually longer than both my Stealth 2 Plus (Kaili Red 60g) and Titleist TSR3 (hzrdus red cb 60g). Have ordered a Ventus Red TR Velocore 50g for it and should have it in the next few days. I’ve got it set at -0.5 degree to open the face…makes for a great setup at address. 

9AA286E3-70DC-4A60-A8A7-2A62897CFF82.jpeg

• Like 3

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+