2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

New spiders for 2023

EHolm

32 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

Never understood why a pro's choice in a club would make a person want to give it a go or not. Especially a putter being the most personal of clubs for feel and preference.

Is called validation. I will putt with anything if it works. That said if the best players on tour love to a new putter and their putting stats improve like Rory with the X then it tells me not only was it a putter he chose over many more options then I can, but that even at his level he has improved due that equipment.

18 minutes ago, MFBach said:

I think that’s primarily the idea. They aren’t hoping players are going to adjust their putter before every round. They’re trying to provide an option that’s going to benefit everyone that picks up the putter, fit them for it, then let them go with it. 

If you’re a fairly consistent putter, but just can’t seem to get them to drop, the MAX is aimed at you… there’s going to be a ton of fitting information available, but the idea is to find your “miss/fault” (within reason), identify it, then dial in the weighting to improve your specific area of weakness. 

Tend to push the ball? Forward weight, more flow/arc, square impact… with the same stroke. 

Pull it a little? Rear weight, more neutral stroke, square impact… with the same stroke. 

A big key for this thing working and improving results is going to be initial setup and fitting, along with a real understanding of how the weight affect the results. 

Or they could have made something more visually appealing and done the same thing by using weight ports or offering 3 models each weighted differently.

When I look at this head it looks like a fat man with stubby legs and black shoes.

5 minutes ago, mitchdoc said:

Is called validation. I will putt with anything if it works. That said if the best players on tour love to a new putter and their putting stats improve like Rory with the X then it tells me not only was it a putter he chose over many more options then I can, but that even at his level he has improved due that equipment.

I understand what you are saying. It still just doesn't make sense in a golf game. He plays differently that you and I and that other guy.

It's psychology though, it's why these companies spend millions on getting the big names to play their stuff. It influences people's buying decisions.

I'm just saying I don't understand the appeal of what a professional is playing to affect how I make a club decision considering our games vary so significantly. 

It's just my two cents. (worth probably less 😝)

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Fairway Wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max 18° w/ Project X Denali Blue 70 6.0

Hybrid - Ping G430 21° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Approach Wedge -  TaylorMade MG3 52° w/ Nippon Modus 115

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 56° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 60° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

Well, looks like the weight may not be visible at address when the weight is in any place other than position #1.  At least from this angle it looks like the fin thing would be hidden. 

image.png.ea80177f3dcb71e5c6653804e75f01be.png

Edited by radiman
  • Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

17 minutes ago, radiman said:

Well, looks like the weight may not be visible at address when the weight is in any place other than position #1.

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

From my fitting, the weights were not notably visible from positions 2 or 3. I agree that the “wings” would definitely look a bit awkward if they were protruding from the middle of the head. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

I understand what you are saying. It still just doesn't make sense in a golf game. He plays differently that you and I and that other guy.

It's psychology though, it's why these companies spend millions on getting the big names to play their stuff. It influences people's buying decisions.

I'm just saying I don't understand the appeal of what a professional is playing to affect how I make a club decision considering our games vary so significantly. 

It's just my two cents. (worth probably less 😝)

By that logic we shouldn't play anything other than components with a custom fitter. These can be same quality and designed for us. But that is naive. Same reason people but designer clothes and purses and shoes....

We want something that looks good is popular... Tour validation means it performs and the best want to play it.

13 minutes ago, MFBach said:

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

From my fitting, the weights were not notably visible from positions 2 or 3. I agree that the “wings” would definitely look a bit awkward if they were protruding from the middle of the head. 

They should have made the weights hidden in all 3 positions.

Also with regards to the toe hang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IevnaI_wguU

Looks like it will range from 17 to 23 on the max depending on weight setup.

1 hour ago, mitchdoc said:

First of this is only my opinion but meh!

The GTX just looks off. It took the worst of the GTX shaping and just looks wrong with the true path on it. Just went on my spider and the only configuration that doesn't look ugly is all black with single sight line and no true path. 

As for the Max. Love the concept but not the execution. Those little black find being part of the moveable weight is just wrong. Not surprising every picture online has them most rearward. They would look stupid positioned any where else. And if you wanted to have differential weighting they wouldn't line up left and right. The overall head shape looks like an uglier Cleveland front line Elevado. Ironically I love how the underside of the putter looks. Imagine that as the top with a red TM logo/weight as an alignment line on a matter black top and no scooped out fangs.

Think they could have done the weight system differently so it stays hidden regardless of location. More like how Mizuno did in their driver's with a sliding weight track.

Think spider X users are safe. 

Think about tour adoption . Why did they not go to GT?

1. CG location- so why then replicate that on another putter

2. Appearance-GTX looks worse with the red model looking like a toy.

3-Toe hang being less. It is even lower now!

4- insert change. Has same new insert ( players can customize this on tour at least).

Yep, I feel this

TaylorMade Qi10 9* PX Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70X

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 3W PX Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80X

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue 19.5 MCA Tensei AV Raw White 90X 

TaylorMade '23 P7MC KBS Tour 130X

TaylorMade Milled Grind 52, 56, 60 DG X100

TaylorMade Spider GTX Black 

TaylorMade TP5X

40 minutes ago, radiman said:

I get that. But, if I were at a fitting I’d be able to reach that same result with different heads.

I can see the merit in that argument. The reason I was excited about it was, in part, due to the fitting itself. To be able to see the data, including a correction/change in delivered face angle after adjustment, was pretty cool. Making the same stroke that I did 5 minutes ago, yet getting a nearly 0* delivery based on a minor tweak was unexpected. 

Keep in mind, this is also coming from a current Spider X, former Spider Tour user. I was already in that space to begin with, so I wasn’t going out to fit for other heads. I still think the range of potential setups will give you the option to “dial in” the putter to your stroke better than swapping heads, but if you’re going for a full putter fitting anyway, you will obviously have the chance to test that theory. I’d be genuinely interested in the results too. 

My only disappointment right now the is the availability date. 

• Like 1

Also pricing puts it right there with a Cameron phantom x.

Personally, I thought I’d love the X5.5. Moved to a Spider years ago after quite a stint with Cameron putters. When I finally tested the Phantom series, I was shockingly underwhelmed. It actually disappointed me a little bit. They looked great, but the stability and performance weren’t there for me. Judging by the number of them I’ve seen roll across the BST, I’m guessing others felt the same. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MFBach said:

Personally, I thought I’d love the X5.5. Moved to a Spider years ago after quite a stint with Cameron putters. When I finally tested the Phantom series, I was shockingly underwhelmed. It actually disappointed me a little bit. They looked great, but the stability and performance weren’t there for me. Judging by the number of them I’ve seen roll across the BST, I’m guessing others felt the same. 

I went and got fitted over the summer and was very underwhelmed with their performance at the price point.  I ended up getting fit into two options...spider gt or bettinardi queen b 6 (I did not expect the latter)

By that logic we shouldn't play anything other than components with a custom fitter. These can be same quality and designed for us. But that is naive. Same reason people but designer clothes and purses and shoes....

We want something that looks good is popular... Tour validation means it performs and the best want to play it.

I do strongly believe everyone should go get fit properly. Then you can make decisions from there. So yes, that is where my logic is coming from. It don't think it's naïve. There's lots of opportunity to get fit right. 

Not all people are that way, but like I said I agree with you on that and that's why they spend millions to sway public opinion. Doesn't mean I follow along with that, or believe people should when making equipment choices. Clothes, shoes etc sure, but not equipment.

If a Top Flite box set was the best for me numbers wise, I'd play it, I wouldn't play the Scotty Cameron because people think it's cool but it makes me worse. I'm already not very good LOL.

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Fairway Wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max 18° w/ Project X Denali Blue 70 6.0

Hybrid - Ping G430 21° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Approach Wedge -  TaylorMade MG3 52° w/ Nippon Modus 115

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 56° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 60° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

As a fan of the Spider GT, I was looking at options available.  Noticed on TGW.com that they have a Spider GT labeled as a 2023 version.  Not huge differences other than on the all black one the site line goes the full length.  And there is a white version available too.  Neither of them seem to be on TM's site.  Color me confused.  Not sure if it's an updated version or some sort of limited run. 

image.png.afb1f34612c810e84104d9a660ab7bd4.png

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Just now, radiman said:

As a fan of the Spider GT, I was looking at options available.  Noticed on TGW.com that they have a Spider GT labeled as a 2023 version.  Not huge differences other than on the all black one the site line goes the full length.  And there is a white version available too.  Neither of them seem to be on TM's site.  Color me confused.  Not sure if it's an updated version or some sort of limited run. 

image.png.afb1f34612c810e84104d9a660ab7bd4.png

You just beat me to it, haha.  Is this the 2023 GT?  Here’s the white for those wondering:

A8B1B44E-4222-43FD-A995-0F0B82BC1E40.jpeg.58308ee9d77632cb8d182aadd85af73b.jpeg

• Like 2

Vessel Players III Matte Grey Bag

Titleist TSR2 9° Driver (C1) | Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6s

TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° Mini Driver (-0.75°) | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

TaylorMade Qi10 5 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 4 Hybrid | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW Irons (1° Weak) | KBS Tour Black Pearl S

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 54D, 60T Wedges | True Temper DG120 Onyx S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter | KBS Black PVD 

Callaway Chrome Tour X Triple Track Ball

I am interested in trying the tech out

Simply because I would use anything that helped me become a better putterI.

I will hold off judgment until I actually see one in person and roll it

The Spider Pure Roll insert always puts a beautiful roll on the ball and if the weight configuration can help you sink more putts without changing your stroke, it's a win win in my book.

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

44 minutes ago, radiman said:

As a fan of the Spider GT, I was looking at options available.  Noticed on TGW.com that they have a Spider GT labeled as a 2023 version.

42 minutes ago, JMB3 said:

You just beat me to it, haha.  Is this the 2023 GT?

I can’t remember the full spectrum of factory options, but there were a ton of colors available for the GTX. If it isn’t a standard option, I’m sure it’s available through the MySpider program. 

4 hours ago, radiman said:

Well, looks like the weight may not be visible at address when the weight is in any place other than position #1.  At least from this angle it looks like the fin thing would be hidden. 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/image.png.ea80177f3dcb71e5c6653804e75f01be.png

What configuration would I go with if I wanted to hit more of a draw? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MFBach said:

I only bring that up because one is milled in USA and one is made in China 

Wonder if Taylormade finally made a putter that doesn’t flake and chip, no matter how much you take care of it. THAT would get me to buy another Taylormade putter as all my previous attempts have looked like I’ve attacked them within a few weeks yet my other much older putters from other companies look great many years on.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade Myspider Tour X  
Taylormade speedsoft

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

35 minutes ago, philly2kuk said:

Wonder if Taylormade finally made a putter that doesn’t flake and chip, no matter how much you take care of it. THAT would get me to buy another Taylormade putter as all my previous attempts have looked like I’ve attacked them within a few weeks yet my other much older putters from other companies look great many years on.

The hydroblast x I think is still the benchmark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philly2kuk said:

this is honestly what irks me most about taylormade putters. Historically I have got along well with the spider series in terms of performance and found them to be reasonably decent value, until the paint chips, and it doesn’t take much (a few specs of seed on a green, etc). Even normal use where you always have a cover on except on the green can cause this. It’s honestly a loss to taylormade bc this alone makes me feel that they are less than premium

• Like 1

Taylormade SPDR?

Seems like a missed opportunity

• Like 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 6i, 8i, PW - Ping i210

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - Bettinardi BB5 / SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

8 hours ago, JMB3 said:

For my tastes that’s a cool putter. I’m not the typical Spider player. I don’t get along with the famous boxy shapes. I generally like round, so I putt well with Rossie shapes and I like the two-tone GT, even more than the wingless Rollback. The deep red one is the same crown I like, only it has black wings. I’ve rolled it in stores, and I don’t notice the wings when putting. They kind of fade away. But they do add stability. It’s quite nice on 3 footers.  

This one above with the single line between the two milled lines on the back of the crown, it just looks easy to aim. I don’t know the designed weight balance on these — it feels kind of even — but the putter doesn’t wiggle, the roll is smooth and it’s not a huge head. Some of these Spiders that have come out the past few years really aren’t much like the classic versions (the 2021 Spider S Platinum has awesome alignment lines) but they’ve been my favorite ones! 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches