Kirkland Irons (*** MERGED ***)

js707

The Ram FX77 is a great bargain, but they have too much offset and only offer a 90g KBS shaft option.  The Rams are cheaper than the Maltby TS2 and look better.  Really hoping for the TS1-IM Maltby to come through with a low-offset players distance iron set this year.  Maybe the Kirklands will be lower offset as well, well shall see.

https://pluggedingolf.com/ram-golf-fx77-irons-review/

2 hours ago, jfrank said:

The Ram FX77 is a great bargain, but they have too much offset and only offer a 90g KBS shaft option.  The Rams are cheaper than the Maltby TS2 and look better.  Really hoping for the TS1-IM Maltby to come through with a low-offset players distance iron set this year.  Maybe the Kirklands will be lower offset as well, well shall see.

https://pluggedingolf.com/ram-golf-fx77-irons-review/

I was going to buy the Maltby KE4 Max.  Then the Kirkland news broke and I started looking at the hollow body players distance like the Takomo, TS-2, etc.  Gigagolf has the Pursuit M410 that cam out this past fall.  Gigagolf Pursuit M410.  Gabe from "Lets Play Thru" YT channel did a review on the Pursuit.  I currently game TM Sim2 with KBS Max 85 S flex and I'm needing to go to R flex.  The Pursuits come with True Temper Feather Flite II steel or you have an option of at least 5 different shafts for a nominal upcharge.

So now I'm totally confused.....

46 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

I was going to buy the Maltby KE4 Max.  Then the Kirkland news broke and I started looking at the hollow body players distance like the Takomo, TS-2, etc.  Gigagolf has the Pursuit M410 that cam out this past fall.  Gigagolf Pursuit M410.  Gabe from "Lets Play Thru" YT channel did a review on the Pursuit.  I currently game TM Sim2 with KBS Max 85 S flex and I'm needing to go to R flex.  The Pursuits come with True Temper Feather Flite II steel or you have an option of at least 5 different shafts for a nominal upcharge.

So now I'm totally confused.....

Those GigaGolf Pursuit irons look like they're rebranded Rams.  Likely made in the same factory.  Lofts are within easy bending tolerance for each club and the injection port is in the same spot.  However, if you like the Apollo Lite or Feather Flite it might be a very cheap option.  If you want something with less offset, the TS2 might be a good for you and you can pick your shaft and grip as you wish.  Some acetone on the badge might give it a cleaner look.  

I still think the Kirklands look best from the back other than the gaudy logo.  The Ram guys did a nice job making it discreet. 

32 minutes ago, jfrank said:

Those GigaGolf Pursuit irons look like they're rebranded Rams.  Likely made in the same factory.  Lofts are within easy bending tolerance for each club and the injection port is in the same spot.  However, if you like the Apollo Lite or Feather Flite it might be a very cheap option.  If you want something with less offset, the TS2 might be a good for you and you can pick your shaft and grip as you wish.  Some acetone on the badge might give it a cleaner look.  

I still think the Kirklands look best from the back other than the gaudy logo.  The Ram guys did a nice job making it discreet. 

Totally agree.  The only thing about the TS-2 is the medallion/charcoal area gets easily dented.  I'm waiting for the Kirklands to be released.  Hopefully by then the TS-IM is released.  I'm still on the fence about the KE4 Max.  We're about the same hcp. but I don't know if going from the Sim2 irons to a hollow body will hurt or help my game.  

3 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Totally agree.  The only thing about the TS-2 is the medallion/charcoal area gets easily dented.  I'm waiting for the Kirklands to be released.  Hopefully by then the TS-IM is released.  I'm still on the fence about the KE4 Max.  We're about the same hcp. but I don't know if going from the Sim2 irons to a hollow body will hurt or help my game.  

I play the SIM Max with 85g R flex.  As I have learned how to generate lag and compress the ball I went from a fade to a draw.  The offsets on the SIMs are way too much for how I close the face and I already generate a lot of forward shaft lean for the SIM loft jacks.  The light shafts and my swing speed/transition make me prone to a double cross through the bag.  That's the primary thing that drives my handicap up, OB left off the tee, happens a few times a round.  Some drives are 290 and perfect, sometimes that iron compression moves comes through on the driver and I get steep.  Heavier, stiffer shafts seem to lessen the effects of my miss.  Looking to implement that through the bag this year.  Golf is a constant evolution.  I tried a buddy's P-790s and hit them a mile, so don't be scared of the hollow body players clubs.  I'd have already bought the i230 Ping if money wasn't an object.  I think we can make some of these discount players irons work with the right shafts and lofts/lies.  I also suck from 75 yards in, but that's not a mismatched club deal.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jfrank said:

I play the SIM Max with 85g R flex.  As I have learned how to generate lag and compress the ball I went from a fade to a draw.  The offsets on the SIMs are way too much for how I close the face and I already generate a lot of forward shaft lean for the SIM loft jacks.  The light shafts and my swing speed/transition make me prone to a double cross through the bag.  That's the primary thing that drives my handicap up, OB left off the tee, happens a few times a round.  Some drives are 290 and perfect, sometimes that iron compression moves comes through on the driver and I get steep.  Heavier, stiffer shafts seem to lessen the effects of my miss.  Looking to implement that through the bag this year.  Golf is a constant evolution.  I tried a buddy's P-790s and hit them a mile, so don't be scared of the hollow body players clubs.  I'd have already bought the i230 Ping if money wasn't an object.  I think we can make some of these discount players irons work with the right shafts and lofts/lies.  I also suck from 75 yards in, but that's not a mismatched club deal.

Yeah, if you're topping out around 290 off the tee with driver, 85g R-flex iron shafts are probably WAY outside your fit range. 

I play with a guy who doesn't have that speed (he's pretty similar to me, 250+ off the tee), but he's a guy who does a lot of strength training and comes from a baseball background. He's working with OTR Ping clubs (not even sure of the shaft, but too light for him) and every time I hand him my club with merely a 115g Modus Tour 120S he talks about how much better it feels for him. I know he's contemplating new clubs but has to justify it to the wife since he's got two young kids at home. 

I doubt the Kirkland will be in the right shaft range for you, to be honest. I wouldn't worry too much about waiting for them. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

13 hours ago, jfrank said:

I WISH! lol.  A good strike I get 230 carry on the driver.  I have the same problem with getting steep with the driver.  I only get 150-155 yds on my 7i so speed isn't my problem.  I do get good control on the irons but distance is lacking.  A good strike off the deck on my 16^ 4W goes about 190-200 yds with a R flex.

10 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Yeah, if you're topping out around 290 off the tee with driver, 85g R-flex iron shafts are probably WAY outside your fit range. 

I play with a guy who doesn't have that speed (he's pretty similar to me, 250+ off the tee), but he's a guy who does a lot of strength training and comes from a baseball background. He's working with OTR Ping clubs (not even sure of the shaft, but too light for him) and every time I hand him my club with merely a 115g Modus Tour 120S he talks about how much better it feels for him. I know he's contemplating new clubs but has to justify it to the wife since he's got two young kids at home. 

I doubt the Kirkland will be in the right shaft range for you, to be honest. I wouldn't worry too much about waiting for them. 

I don't want to go too light of a shaft like graphite but I don't want to go heavier.  That 100-110 gram shaft feels good on my Sims.  My driver shaft is 55 grams.  I sold my Sim2 Max driver with the Hzrds Black 70 gram S flex because my miss was always a push right because the shaft was too heavy and I wasn't getting it through the zone quick enough.  Bought the M4 with the lighter shaft in S flex and made a big difference.  Driver SS is around 92-95 when my 56 yr. old repaired knees don't hurt and it's a little warmer.

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, larciel said:

so who makes these?

It's in the screenshot on the first post of the thread. Indi Golf. https://indigolfclubs.com/

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I currently am gaming some Tour Model II irons that I received many years ago as hand-me-downs from my dad. I think they are knockoffs of Ping Eye 2? At any rate, I am itching to upgrade to something from this decade and as a Costco fanatic (already rocking the K-Sig Putter) these definitely caught my eye. I have been impatiently trying to do some research on them and found that the listing was removed from the USGA website? I am slightly worried that the removal from the USGA list means that the irons are no more. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Edited by OldShoeFish

1 hour ago, OldShoeFish said:

I currently am gaming some Tour Model II irons that I received many years ago as hand-me-downs from my dad. I think they are knockoffs of Ping Eye 2? At any rate, I am itching to upgrade to something from this decade and as a Costco fanatic (already rocking the K-Sig Putter) these definitely caught my eye. I have been impatiently trying to do some research on them and found that the listing was removed from the USGA website? I am slightly worried that the removal from the USGA list means that the irons are no more. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Not necessarily means doom for the product. Irons do not need to be listed, just conforming.

On 2/16/2023 at 7:45 AM, betarhoalphadelta said:

It's in the screenshot on the first post of the thread. Indi Golf. https://indigolfclubs.com/

Indi Golf may be the designers, but the clubs are almost certainly "made" in Asia somewhere.  

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

18 minutes ago, Nessism said:

Indi Golf may be the designers, but the clubs are almost certainly "made" in Asia somewhere.  

Yeah almost for sure. The Indi wedges are probably the same story. Not bad sticks from my time with one of them. 

just checked their pricing for fun. They're outside their minds asking for $170 a wedge. Who's buying an Indi over a Vokey or RTX?

Edited by ChristopherMcDonald

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jfrank said:

No need to wait for the Kirklands.  Get the Maltby TS1-IM.  Impressive design with lots of technology for $60/head.  Just released.

TS1-IM.JPG.132a9bbffd5bad49cb1d48f203593d24.JPG

Once I got to looking around the TS-2 really jumped out at me, so much so that I loaded the cart up but haven't pulled the trigger.  Maltby has some really nice designs and I have club ho issues.  Too bad they don't have the 6.0 Catalyst 80 or 100 shafts left because I already know they work for me.

Maybe I'll order the 7 iron head and experiment with a Maltby shaft. 

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 1:21 PM, gotem said:

I heard the irons were removed from the USGA conforming list!

On 4/25/2023 at 1:39 PM, snagy2000 said:

Does not matter, they don't need to be on the conforming list. 

What's interesting is that they were removed from the database entirely, which makes no sense unless they scrapped their plans to make them and withdrew the application. 

Edited by AZGolfNut2

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AZGolfNut2 said:

Since the first day it was announced, it's been nagging at me that I've seen these irons before. And it just hit me - it's identical to the SMT 579 irons! They clearly just used an existing open foundry design, which is what SMT is doing these days. 

Insert image from URL

ScreenHunter_582 Jun. 07 01.23.jpg

Well there we go, everyone who was excited about them can get these instead, and enjoy better branding to boot.

9 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

Well there we go, everyone who was excited about them can get these instead, and enjoy better branding to boot.

Pretty fair price for the heads too @ $40/ea, with 20% off right now thru father's day. That's  just $225 for a set of 4-PW heads, and you'll be under $400 assembled with some nice shafts. 

1 minute ago, AZGolfNut2 said:

Pretty fair price for the heads too @ $40/ea, with 20% off right now thru father's day. That's  just $225 for a set of 4-PW heads, and you'll be under $400 assembled with some nice shafts. 

Exactly why I do not see the excitement for the Kirkland irons.  No shaft or grip choices and probably a comperable price.  I feel you would be better of with those or Maltby/Golfworks offerings.

10 hours ago, Klubster said:

Exactly why I do not see the excitement for the Kirkland irons.  No shaft or grip choices and probably a comperable price.  I feel you would be better of with those or Maltby/Golfworks offerings.

Some people just want to buy a standard pre-assembled set. In fact, those people make up the vast majority of the golf equipment market - standard length, stock shaft, standard size grip, nothing fancy. 

Edited by AZGolfNut2
  • Like 1