Kirkland Irons (*** MERGED ***)

js707

5 minutes ago, Wolfhammer said:

the Takomo set is $489.

The 101 is $489.

The 101T is $589.

I was assuming the Kirkland was more comparable to the 101T, but that's just a guess.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 50 A
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

12 minutes ago, Wolfhammer said:

the Takomo set is $489. Sub70 is more, you’re right. Was less when I bought mine. 

I'd still compare these to the Sub 70 v1 699's instead of v2.  Even brand new, v1 same clubs is $560, and that includes all of the lie and length adjustments for free if you need them.

I got my v1 set Black Friday time 2022 as a used/excellent set 5i-PW,AW for $320 (including the adjustments) from them.  Just keep eye on their offerings and its a great deal.  AND I hit them pretty darn well! 🙂

Costco still sells the good ol' Edge sets (look like they are now updated with blue coloring vs 2021 gold and 2018 green).  Those irons are still pretty darn good in that set as well and not too hard to find fill in X2 Hot sticks on ebay or Callaway Pre-Owned.  Curious to see what makes the Kirkland set better once all the reviews start to come out.

Edited by stuman74
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

Because the prices aren't similar.

Takomo 101T are $200 more (40%), and Sub 70 699 Pro V2 are $270 more (almost 50%).

The 101T's are only $90 more.  And for the looks alone I'd pay the additional $90.  And for $30 more I can get a degree of customization, (adjust grips size, length and lie).  Kind of hard to beat.

• Like 1

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

1 minute ago, pdxhak said:

Plus Costco's return policy.

I'm betting we'll see used market flooded with these pretty soon when people start returning their used golf clubs to Costco after trying them out. I know several people who are buying them just to try out of curiosity with the full intention of returning them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AZGolfNut2 said:

I'm betting we'll see used market flooded with these pretty soon when people start returning their used golf clubs to Costco after trying them out. I know several people who are buying them just to try out of curiosity with the full intention of returning them. 

$500 delivered in a couple of days with an easy return policy is a club ho's dream :) Yeah I could see a people buying them just to try them out.

Edited by pdxhak

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

1 hour ago, stuman74 said:

Agreed.  Maybe they will come out with an updated wedge set to complement these irons that is 50*, 54*, 58* vs their prior wedges of 52*, 56*, 60*?

Yeah I have to assume their next wedge set will be 50, 55, 60 or 50, 54, 58.  Maybe that is why they went with 4-P to sell more wedges in the future but really wish it was a 5-G matching set.  Foresee a lot of minty 4 irons many years down the road that look like that were only hit a couple times.  Most people can’t hit a long iron well that is 24* or below and there 4i is 20* and 5i is 23*!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZGolfNut2 said:

I’m one of those who most likely will return them but it’s too good of an opportunity to pass up to try them out. Depending on how many sets are released, this could be a flipping opportunity as well even that’s not my intention. 

I normally use x100 so the shafts shouldn’t fit me but who knows🤷🏼‍♂️

I just bought a used set of zx7 mkII with x100 in them a month ago that have been pretty good in testing but if these are close, I’ll sell the Srixons and keep these and spend the difference on something else. 

I think Costco missed their market on these.  While these may be fine irons for a low handicap golfer, they are just too aggressive for the average golfer.  A nice set of game improvement irons would have better suited their demographics.  For a similar amount of money, I could have someone like Maltby/Golfworks put a set together to my specs.  Also, as mentioned, it is in reality a 5 or 6 club set.  You will need to add an additional wedge.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

After seeing actual photos of the final product, I am nearly 100% certain these are the "Justin" irons produced by Xiamen Jasde Sports (the factory that makes the Sub70 & SMT stuff). And that means it is probably also exactly same as the SMT 579 that I posted a few months ago.

So if you missed out on these, go ahead and pick up a set of the SMT579 heads for $200, along with some $20 shafts and $5 grips, and build yourself a set to your specs for quite a bit less than the Kirkland set! https://www.smtgolf.com/smt-579-iron-components.html

ScreenHunter_610Dec_0911_10.jpg.6252c1c97dabd0d1e5d098ab257ae4a7.jpg ScreenHunter_609Dec_0911_10.jpg.d7463b906968c99eb94c3d1f130d30fd.jpg ScreenHunter_610Dec_0911_26.jpg.23beb24195722416d6fccf1ac92678f1.jpg

Edited by AZGolfNut2
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, AZGolfNut2 said:

After seeing actual photos of the final product, I am nearly 100% certain these are the "Justin" irons produced by Xiamen Jasde Sports (the factory that makes the Sub70 stuff). 

ScreenHunter_610Dec_0911_10.jpg.6252c1c97dabd0d1e5d098ab257ae4a7.jpg ScreenHunter_609Dec_0911_10.jpg.d7463b906968c99eb94c3d1f130d30fd.jpg

$13 - $15 a piece.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

9 minutes ago, dekez said:

$13 - $15 a piece.

Yep, that's the OEM price when you're buying hundreds of sets at a time. And I pretty much nailed it in this post from back in January when the rumors first started....

On 1/3/2023 at 11:29 AM, AZGolfNut2 said:

If the iron heads cost the same to make as the wedge heads, then we might see a sub-$400 price. But a forged hollow-body multi-material head costs at least 3-4x as much to make compared to a cast wedge head (maybe $5-7 for the wedge head and $15-20 for the forged hollow body head). So if you factor another $10-$12 per head that's another $60-$70 cost + typical 15% Costco margin = $70-$80 added to the price. So $160 / 3  = $53/club x 7 clubs =  $371 + additional $70 = $441. But my guess is they'll have a 4-PW set for $499 since the cost of shafts & grips have gone up compared to when they introduced the wedge set. 

Edited by AZGolfNut2
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, PNW said:

Personally, I think these are better specs than most other GI sets.

They are not game improvement irons, they are players distance specs.  I just think that more Costco members will better fit into GI rather than PD irons.  Considering the design and shaft choice, they are a bargain vs OEM brands.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Klubster said:

They are not game improvement irons, they are players distance specs.  I just think that more Costco members will better fit into GI rather than PD irons.  Considering the design and shaft choice, they are a bargain vs OEM brands.

Keep in mind, the "Elevate 115" shafts are not the expensive retail versions with VSS technology which sell for $35/ea. It's a cheap watered-down OEM version which probably cost them around $5/ea. 

ScreenHunter_611Dec_0912_34.jpg.76c2517422ec437c3cec1ec915bef0ea.jpg  ScreenHunter_611Dec_0912_36.jpg.1f1765fb8318487490bebaf5cd476c51.jpg  ScreenHunter_612Dec_0912_36.jpg.1f2da995a3d8643789e81adfd416406b.jpg

Edited by AZGolfNut2

5 hours ago, stuman74 said:

Specs on these Kirkland irons look almost exactly the same as my Sub 70 699 v1 irons:

image.png.5ef2fa7720f454219ff06cc6f849a8c8.png

Sub 70 699 v1:

image.png.407b7f14f071cb66ed1b9c20b7ef9c3a.png

Nevermind I'm a moron.

I have a couple friends that are interested in these and I'll definitely want to check them out if/when they get them, but I don't think I'm really interested in bagging them, myself.

Edited by spartan6910
  • Like 1

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

8 hours ago, stuman74 said:

Specs on these Kirkland irons look almost exactly the same as my Sub 70 699 v1 irons:

They are more similar in design to the SMT 579 irons, which are also made by the same factory as the Sub70 irons (Sub70 & SMT are the same company - both owned by Diamond Tour/Hurricane Golf). 

Edited by AZGolfNut2

1 hour ago, jarederco said:

Please don’t buy anything from Costco “with the intention or trying it and returning it.” They have a great return policy, but abusing it is wastful and just drives the prices of everything higher. It’s a different story if you plan to use them and they don’t perform to your expectations. 

It also discourages them from making other products in the future. If a large percentage of users buy the irons and return them because they never had the intention of keeping them, Costco thinks the irons suck and might not be interested in making more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jarederco said:

Please don’t buy anything from Costco “with the intention or trying it and returning it.” They have a great return policy, but abusing it is wastful and just drives the prices of everything higher. It’s a different story if you plan to use them and they don’t perform to your expectations. 

I once was in the cs line for something else but the lady in front of me was returning burned out light bulbs.  "They don't work anymore so I'm dissatisfied".  She got her money back, lol.  I've heard that they now keep track of serial returners and do something with them like a ban or a ban from returns.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Thats almost as bad as the people that buy a faux Christmas tree from Costco and return it on January 2nd. 

1 minute ago, bekgolf said:

I once was in the cs line for something else but the lady in front of me was returning burned out light bulbs.  "They don't work anymore so I'm dissatisfied".  She got her money back, lol.  I've heard that they now keep track of serial returners and do something with them like a ban or a ban from returns.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jarederco said:

Thats almost as bad as the people that buy a faux Christmas tree from Costco and return it on January 2nd. 

I feel safer purchasing a product from Costco just for the ability to bring it back if it's defective.  It's much easier than dealing with the manufacturer.  No, I'm not a serial returner, lol.  I can think of 4 items I've returned over almost 30 years of being a member but one was a major appliance that I'm glad I didn't have to ship back for repair.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter