Kirkland Irons (*** MERGED ***)

js707

11 hours ago, JD3 said:

or how about a senior tour guy like Fred Couples? older well-known player, but still "cool" enough to appeal to younger demographic, and not too expensive. If they are going truly younger, then I think Jordan Spieth, clean-cut look while also exuding quality. of though would cost a fortune to pry him away from Titleist.

Ooooh, Freddie and Costco, both from Seattle.  I like it!

BTW, I've been thinking about building a bag to leave at my mom's house (also in Seattle).  These K-sig irons just might fit the bill, if the price is right.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JD3 said:

OK fair enough, seems like I didnt understand their return policy. Whenever Im there I just see a long line at the return desk, with the customers not looking too happy. Thats pretty much what the checkout lines look like too, lol

I've yet to see any long line where the people in it look happy, haha.  Amusement parks not withstanding.

Edit:  appears I'm not the first person to make this observation...

image.gif

Edited by forrester_fire

14 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I have been "fitted" at a major golf retailer in 2021 for Sim2 irons and a Sim2 driver....After some time in the simulator he went to the shelf and plucked off a set of Sim2 Max 5-AW in KBS shafts S flex gpt $899 and a Sim2 Max driver with the Hzrds black 65 gram in S flex right off the shelf at $550.  At the time I was 54, 5'11" and a little portly.  I assumed that the irons being 4* stronger than the irons I was hitting would gain me some distance and the Driver would be the magic bullet.  Wellllllll............

1.  I had a hard time with the driver because any deviation in my swing would cause a push slice or duck hook.  Went back this August and got "re-fitted" and this time the fitter said the shaft was too heavy for my swing and fit me into either a Callaway Rogue ST with a 55 gm S flex for $550 (Stock off the shelf) or the 2021 release of the TM M4 in a Fujikura Atmos Red in S flex at 55 gram for $299 (Stock off the shelf).  Sold my Sim2 Max driver for $325 and bought the M4 for $325 out the door and hit it fine.

2.  As I was getting "refit" for my driver I go quasi-fitted for irons because I was getting less distance with my 8i than I did with my previous 8i (Tour Edge Hot Launch 2).  Come to find out I would benefit from a R flex shaft.  I cannot afford to buy new $900-$1100 irons every 2 years getting fitted.  

TAKEAWAY:  The vast majority of golfers (90%-95%) will end up with "Off the shelf" equipment.  The standards for stock options for ANY manufacturer is designed for 80%-90% of golfers out there.  I DON'T CARE what the name on the back of the equipment say.  I don't belong to a $30K/year country club where I have to worry what Mr. Howell and Luvie think about me and the equipment I use.  If the Kirkland equipment is quality and has the shaft flex I want, which I expect it very well will be, I will most definitely buy it.  I may be selling some Sim2 Max irons this Spring.

I fall into this category for irons.  6', standard length, standard Mizuno lie angles (which is -1 for the other OEMs) and any 115 - 130g stiff shaft will suit my swing just fine.

• Like 1

Costco currently has the Callaway Edge sets in regular graphite, regular and stiff steel.  They also have Honma with more than one shaft choice.

I would think there would be a few shaft options in the Kirkland irons.  I don't see them going for a kmart price.  We shall see.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

If you ever look at the clothes at Costco that are on clearance, you will notice that all the large and XL are gone and the smalls are still sitting there.  For that reason alone, I would expect to see only regular flex in steel and hopefully graphite.  That is the way they can keep the price point low.  Remember, they are a mass merchandiser, not a golf specialty company.

Edited by Klubster
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Klubster said:

If you ever look at the clothes at Costco that are on clearance, you will notice that all the large and XL are gone and the smalls are still sitting there.  For that reason alone, I would expect to see only regular flex in steel and hopefully graphite.  That is the way they can keep the price point low.  Remember, they are a mass merchandiser, not a golf specialty company.

completely agree with this......i would have no problems getting these but i tap out at $500 ( which i think they will be over) and i cant justify spending even $400 if they dont have a appropriate shaft....i guess there is always the option to buy and try then take back if needed

14 hours ago, Klubster said:

These are players distance looking heads. That category covers single digits and lower double digits. Many in that category won't play a light torquey noodle like recoil 55R (or whatever.) Maybe they'll offer the noodle option in graphite, and take a cue from TM and offer TT DG 105S in steel. Still a little too light and soft for me, but still a respectably stable and weighted shaft that will fit a lot of players. 

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

4 hours ago, JD3 said:

These are players distance looking heads. That category covers single digits and lower double digits. Many in that category won't play a light torquey noodle like recoil 55R (or whatever.) Maybe they'll offer the noodle option in graphite, and take a cue from TM and offer TT DG 105S in steel. Still a little too light and soft for me, but still a respectably stable and weighted shaft that will fit a lot of players. 

I addressed this before.  The shaft will have a Maltby MPF rating of 3B2M.  That would be a neutral shaft for average swing speed, no hook or slice bias and average trajectory.  It will suit the majority of golfers.  Search 3B2M iron shafts on the Golfworks site to check the number of reasonably priced options they have.  Of course the prices would be much lower in the quantity they would buy.

Edited by Klubster

11 minutes ago, Klubster said:

I addressed this before.  The shaft will have a Maltby MPF rating of 3B2M.  That would be a neutral shaft for average swing speed, no hook or slice bias and average trajectory.  It will suit the majority of golfers.  Search 3B2M iron shafts on the Golfworks site to check the number of reasonably priced options they have.  Of course the prices would be much lower in the quantity they would buy.

Why wouldn't they carry regular and stiff flex like the branded (Callaway and Honma) irons they already sell?  Why go to the trouble of getting a players distance club head approved just to blah out on shafts?  Why change what they are already doing?

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

53 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

Why wouldn't they carry regular and stiff flex like the branded (Callaway and Honma) irons they already sell?  Why go to the trouble of getting a players distance club head approved just to blah out on shafts?  Why change what they are already doing?

Those are not made exclusively for Costco and would be produced in larger numbers.  Costco could return those if they do not sell.  The OEM takes the risk.  It would be nice if they offered an option.  Surely if they sell well, we will probably see L and S flexes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bekgolf said:

I agree, why make a players distance category head  (4-12 handicap, even some pros use them in longer irons) and put a high handicap shaft in it? 

Edited by JD3
  • Like 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

On 1/5/2023 at 8:01 AM, JD3 said:

Highly doubt theyd let you return open, used golf clubs. thats not their business model, and at the price points we're talking one shouldnt expect it 

Had a Nicklaus box set from Costco when I was a kid. Played them for over a year. Bag started to rip and my dad returned them no questions asked. 

On 1/5/2023 at 7:57 PM, wantacigar said:

I have been "fitted" at a major golf retailer in 2021 for Sim2 irons and a Sim2 driver....After some time in the simulator he went to the shelf and plucked off a set of Sim2 Max 5-AW in KBS shafts S flex gpt $899 and a Sim2 Max driver with the Hzrds black 65 gram in S flex right off the shelf at $550.  At the time I was 54, 5'11" and a little portly.  I assumed that the irons being 4* stronger than the irons I was hitting would gain me some distance and the Driver would be the magic bullet.  Wellllllll............

1.  I had a hard time with the driver because any deviation in my swing would cause a push slice or duck hook.  Went back this August and got "re-fitted" and this time the fitter said the shaft was too heavy for my swing and fit me into either a Callaway Rogue ST with a 55 gm S flex for $550 (Stock off the shelf) or the 2021 release of the TM M4 in a Fujikura Atmos Red in S flex at 55 gram for $299 (Stock off the shelf).  Sold my Sim2 Max driver for $325 and bought the M4 for $325 out the door and hit it fine.

2.  As I was getting "refit" for my driver I go quasi-fitted for irons because I was getting less distance with my 8i than I did with my previous 8i (Tour Edge Hot Launch 2).  Come to find out I would benefit from a R flex shaft.  I cannot afford to buy new $900-$1100 irons every 2 years getting fitted.  

TAKEAWAY:  The vast majority of golfers (90%-95%) will end up with "Off the shelf" equipment.  The standards for stock options for ANY manufacturer is designed for 80%-90% of golfers out there.  I DON'T CARE what the name on the back of the equipment say.  I don't belong to a $30K/year country club where I have to worry what Mr. Howell and Luvie think about me and the equipment I use.  If the Kirkland equipment is quality and has the shaft flex I want, which I expect it very well will be, I will most definitely buy it.  I may be selling some Sim2 Max irons this Spring.

I had a similar experience at Golf Galaxy with driver and irons.  I ended up buying the SIM1 irons because they were on closeout and essentially the same specs I was "fit" with on the SIM2 back then and got a 70gram shaft for my driver because it was the most accurate of the handful I tried - all off the shelf stuff.  I have since found better stuff to fit my game while experimenting with different clubs over the past couple of years (no brand loyalty).  As long as the mid irons are gapped right, I feel like these will be a great value for what they are.  We all have different preferences in our wedges and our woods where we can make adjustments on either end of the bag.  A good players distance iron that can be bent 1-2deg either way on loft and lie will be a nice "off the shelf" starting point to work from for the meat of the bag.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 7:57 PM, wantacigar said:

Sorry you had that experience. Sounds like the fitter got lazy and just gave you a set off the rack the first time around.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 2:13 PM, Klubster said:

Here in SoCal all the small and mediums are always gone  and it's the larges/XLs/XXLs that can't sell. Not just Costco either, many stores.

17 hours ago, JDIL said:

Here in SoCal all the small and mediums are always gone  and it's the larges/XLs/XXLs that can't sell. Not just Costco either, many stores.

17 hours ago, Klubster said:

I don't suppose they want all the S and M flannel shirts and winter coats from the Midwest.

I don't think anyone is shocked that L/XL/XXL sells better in the midwest, while S & M sells better in California. Maybe Costco should do a better job at market demographic research before distributing their clothing! 😂

19 hours ago, Klubster said:

I don't suppose they want all the S and M flannel shirts and winter coats from the Midwest.

Of course they do. It's 59 degrees and raining right now! Brrrrrr!!!

The SoCal natives absolutely want flannel and winter coats. They think it's cold lol!

• Haha 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

they look like a decent iron.  I wouldn't turn my nose up at them if I saw them in someone's bag and a few years ago when I was playing around a 10 or 11 handicap I would have gamed them ( had Golfworks and Maltby stuff before and was happy with them. 

I am at that point in my game where I am happy to pay for a good fitting and wait for the exact shafts that suit me - currently in Project X 6.5.  I am standard loft and lie.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:26 AM, JD3 said:

Any idea how soon this could be in stores?

That’s hard to say. They had a new 4 piece ball show up on the conforming list a year or so ago and it never go released to the public. I frequent their stores and website so as soon as I see anything, I’ll make sure to post it up here.

FYI, when the new V2 ball and wedges were released, it was only in certain stores and it took a minute for the website to start selling them.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 12:37 PM, PeterHenric said:

That’s hard to say. They had a new 4 piece ball show up on the conforming list a year or so ago and it never go released to the public. I frequent their stores and website so as soon as I see anything, I’ll make sure to post it up here.

FYI, when the new V2 ball and wedges were released, it was only in certain stores and it took a minute for the website to start selling them.

I think a lot of that had to do with supply chain disruptions that have been felt all across the golf ball industry.  Many brands, like Snell, had to limit the number of boxes customers purchased because they couldn't fill orders.

• Like 1