Kirkland Irons (*** MERGED ***)

js707

I'm excited for these clubs. They would make the perfect set for my pops who probably hasn't swung a club in 10+ years but wants to grab some sticks with the latest tech. And he loves Costco! The members really do think highly of the K-Sig brand. I can see these in the bags of a large number of casual golfers. If they come in lefty, I know what someone's getting on their birthday. 

• Like 2

at the right price, i would pick up and keep as a backup set for friends/family when they come to town......i really really doubt these wont be a quality set, but what i do doubt is the price being under $400.....I see them being closer to $550-$600....either way look forward to these things coming out and watching reviews and potentially hitting them.

18 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

They are probably decent irons, but to make them more appealing, they should rename the brand to something else other than Kirkland. No golfer wants the same branded golf clubs as their grocery items. 

The branding wouldn't bother me if they improved my game. Been happy with their gloves.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, naj959 said:

I'm excited for these clubs. They would make the perfect set for my pops who probably hasn't swung a club in 10+ years but wants to grab some sticks with the latest tech. And he loves Costco! The members really do think highly of the K-Sig brand. I can see these in the bags of a large number of casual golfers. If they come in lefty, I know what someone's getting on their birthday. 

Wish they would just call all their golf equipment K-Sig. Would be pretty cool. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not gonna lie they look nice. I also agree that if they changed the logo/stamping on their golf equipment they might do even better. Minimalist “KS” stamp or maybe “Kirkland” on the hosel like Taylormade does and just the “Signature” cursive script would be kind of slick. I honestly think they could make some noise in golf equipment if they made a good product that didn’t scream Costco branding at a good price. We all know we over pay for what golf clubs actually cost to make. If they sold these at $399 with dynamic gold shafts they’ll probably sell a lot of them. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Not gonna lie they look nice. I also agree that if they changed the logo/stamping on their golf equipment they might do even better. Minimalist “KS” stamp or maybe “Kirkland” on the hosel like Taylormade does and just the “Signature” cursive script would be kind of slick. I honestly think they could make some noise in golf equipment if they made a good product that didn’t scream Costco branding at a good price. We all know we over pay for what golf clubs actually cost to make. If they sold these at $399 with dynamic gold shafts they’ll probably sell a lot of them. 

Probably get sub 100g shafts unfortunately. 110-115g would probably be a good spot to start. 

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

On 12/31/2022 at 5:52 PM, Steele47 said:

So funny these comments about the logo and/or branding.  

What do they look at address position?  What does the wedge look like at address position?  That's what I wonder..

Many golfers nowadays seem more like 'well to do' ladies shopping for handbags.

You should see all the concern over Nike and Tiger’s relationship in the apparel forum because Nike hasn’t made him a custom shoe yet. 

On 12/31/2022 at 10:33 AM, the bishop said:

At some point things stop making sense.  For the type of club that is, for the caliber of player that would be looking for that type of iron - I don't think that type of player goes looking to Costco to fill out their bag.  

Balls, gloves, bags all good.  Even the putter and wedges.  But this....well there'll be plenty of people who buy them only to figure out it wasn't such a good idea.

So if you really want some keep an eye on your local Craigslist.

Any player that isn’t using game improvement would understand that wedges are the most important club in the bags and wouldn’t use Costco wedges. So I disagree. 

Taylormade Stealth +  9° Driver (turned down to 7°), Fujikura Ventus Black TR Velocore 7x 

Titleist Tsi3  15° 3 Wood, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75 tx flex tipped 1 inch 

Taylormade P770 UDI  2 Iron, Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 10tx 

Taylormade P7MC 3-PW, TT Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 52° 58°, TT Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Scotty Cameron x12  35 inch

Titleist ProV1 Left Dash #38

4 hours ago, PostandGhost said:

I still got to get my hands on that K-Sig Bordeaux wine everyone raves about.  I can never find it when I go to Costco. 

I'm a fan of their Cotes du Rhone Villages.  It's only in stock from time to time and always sells out quickly once it comes in.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Maybe it's just me, but I would never consider this set even as a back up. The choice available on the used market is far better in terms of quality components. As people have said - there will be most likely be far fewer options in terms of component choices and all you're paying for is having something new and shiny from what seems to be a generic factory that has head molds? Call me a skeptic for all I care, but I don't see how this is not quantity over quality and is similar to the box sets that Cobra/Callaway make that sells on supermarket shelves.

For those that say this would make a great back up set - why wouldn't you buy used instead?

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

If you're worried about the branding, then you're probably not the target consumer. Also if the branding is obscured or obscure and your playing partner ask what's in you bag? what are you going to say? some unknown Japanese brand or Kirkland Signature irons?

What do you say when someone uses your Costco loo roll?

"It's custom quilted, my good fellow, I hope your bottom appreciated the handcrafted quality."

1 hour ago, Hateto3Putt said:

The vanity in this group is astounding.

There are a set guys who wouldn't play these clubs even if they stuck every green but who would never give up on their Circle T Scottys even if they never one putted.

And that's OK.

golf putt GIF by Aflac Duck

Speaking for myself, it's not vanity, but more of a question of what type of quality do you get. What differentiates this set from the box set from the other manufacturers. Or any 'cheap' set that looks like all the irons? What makes this product worth the hype - is it on the same level as Takomo, New Level, Sub 70 etc. that gets their heads from a generic mold just that it'll be cheaper due to the Costco business model?

But if you do want to bring vanity into play - isn't it vanity that drives people to buy something new and cheap when you know you could get something that is potentially better quality used and cheap? FWIW - my bag/sig has all been sourced from the used market and I feel that I've got quality products and saved a pretty penny on them.

From an industry perspective - if this catches on - where's the incentive for the larger brands to spend money on R&D when they know that their successful designs will be copied and sold cheaper?

Or could it be that golf club R&D is just an overrated marketing hype as you've stated ref: scotty's?

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

4 hours ago, vtpachyderm said:

Maybe it's just me, but I would never consider this set even as a back up. The choice available on the used market is far better in terms of quality components. As people have said - there will be most likely be far fewer options in terms of component choices and all you're paying for is having something new and shiny from what seems to be a generic factory that has head molds? Call me a skeptic for all I care, but I don't see how this is not quantity over quality and is similar to the box sets that Cobra/Callaway make that sells on supermarket shelves.

For those that say this would make a great back up set - why wouldn't you buy used instead?

Don’t judge a book by its cover necessarily. But I’m in your camp. Current gamers....blades though, hit them better than Titleists or TM. If I wanted “tech” I wouldn’t go to Costco for irons.

image.jpeg.fc8e197f398b9dd2345730db07ec10cc.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 2:45 PM, SnowbirdTom said:

What pro is gonna use them and what tournament?  

Phil

• Haha 1

TM 300 Mini 

Adams Idea Pro Gold Tour Proto 20*

Callaway X-Forged UT @24*

Miura CB-501's; 6-PW

Vokey Spin Milled @51*

Cleveland 588 Rotex @56*

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4 or Odyssey WH XG #9

All tucked in a Jones Utility with a single strap

5 minutes ago, Klubster said:

The important thing with these irons is the shaft choices.

Choices? More than likely there will be one offered in steel and/or graphite. If you want something else, it'll be up to you to change just like their wedges & putter offerings.

Edited by snagy2000
  • Like 1

Honest question to those who would consider this as a backup/travel set or a cheap intro set.

Why this over a used OEM set (assuming a price tag over $200). 

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

1 hour ago, vtpachyderm said:

Speaking for myself, it's not vanity, but more of a question of what type of quality do you get. What differentiates this set from the box set from the other manufacturers. Or any 'cheap' set that looks like all the irons? What makes this product worth the hype - is it on the same level as Takomo, New Level, Sub 70 etc. that gets their heads from a generic mold just that it'll be cheaper due to the Costco business model?

But if you do want to bring vanity into play - isn't it vanity that drives people to buy something new and cheap when you know you could get something that is potentially better quality used and cheap? FWIW - my bag/sig has all been sourced from the used market and I feel that I've got quality products and saved a pretty penny on them.

From an industry perspective - if this catches on - where's the incentive for the larger brands to spend money on R&D when they know that their successful designs will be copied and sold cheaper?

Or could it be that golf club R&D is just an overrated marketing hype as you've stated ref: scotty's?

These are obviously going to be "made for" - I imagine the level and quality will be similar to the DTC brands you point out, at probably a much lower price point (hopefully).

From a technology perspective, these are not going to contend with major OEM brands that have entire engineering teams on staff that work to push the engineering envelope year after year. 

I don't think these products are going to hurt the major OEM's market share much, if at all. Players who want the latest tech and are willing to pay will continue to go to their OEM of choice. Golfers who get fitted won't see this as it won't be in any fitting carts. 

I think the biggest market share that these Kirkland irons will hurt is their DTC direct competitors. The Takomo's, Sub 70's, New Level's, etc. 

5 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Yet small outfits like Maltby/GolfWorks produce irons that are every bit as good as the "major OEMs". 

I don't disagree with your larger assertion. But it's not because companies outside of the major OEMs can't make competitive clubs. It's because a decent segment of the golf community believes major OEMs have some secret sauce no one else can replicate.

There's definitely smaller companies that really know what they are doing with golf clubs, and are every bit as advanced as any of the major players. Maybe more so in some areas.

And yes, there's definitely a perception to the larger OEM's that may unfairly place them on a pedestal that's not always justified. 

It’s made by indi

most won’t know who they are but they make quality wedges, not a fan of their putters

great people at indi… small company in Southern California 

but my understanding is they made the Kirkland wedges 

I expect the irons to be a great bang for buck iron set just like the rest of the Kirkland line up

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Also not a fan of the branding on the back, but let’s be real. 

my father in-law and brother in-law, both occasional golfers with outdated equipment, will buy a set. I’ll probably buy one as a travel set, assuming they’re in the $400 ballpark. At that price point, they’ll be cheaper than most DTC options and, I’m sure, will not perform worse. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland