2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

Most any club fitting event will have a few Ventus shafts available to try out. It just has to be the equipment that you want to try out.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Thanks everyone. I will check out some of these places. Not sure if it’s accurate or not, but Gerry, the fitter at Collindale, says the Trackman has some kind of conversion function to convert range ball data into what you would expect to see with a “premium” golf ball. Not sure if that helps at all. 

• Like 1

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

4 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Thanks everyone. I will check out some of these places. Not sure if it’s accurate or not, but Gerry, the fitter at Collindale, says the Trackman has some kind of conversion function to convert range ball data into what you would expect to see with a “premium” golf ball. Not sure if that helps at all. 

Can confirm. It also has options for limited flight balls as well. 

I can't speak for everyone but I got a Mizuno fitting for new irons this year. Even after doing the fitting with limited flight balls I can definitely say that what I got fit for is great for my game right now. Ironically the main star of the show was the Mizuno swing optimizer at getting the shaft (almost) right. It wanted me in a ProjectX LZ but it felt like crap to me and option 2 was the KBS C-Taper 130g X. I've been rocking the 125g S+ for years now and I definitely like the feel and flight of them better so no brainer there.

FYI for those of you that might get new irons.... I got the Mizuno Pro 221 7-PW and Pro 223 5i-6i. Before I even played them I brought them downstairs and hit them on the GCQ. Holy s*** was the 6i wayyyyyy off. Everything else was great but the 6i was 1.5* strong, flying 6 yards shorter than the 5i and 33 yards longer than the 7i. Even the tightest tolerances of the big manufacturers can be more than you want! I ended up bending it to where I wanted before I even played a round of golf.

When you get the new set, have them checked! 

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 3

The Mizuno shaft optimizer is really good at quickly nailing down good options for the fitter to try. D'Lance golf uses that too. And yes even the best manufacturers screw up. The guys at D'Lance said Mizuno tended to be the best of the major manufacturers and if you were going to buy off the rack or from the factory they have the best tolerances, but you really need to check them. D'lance says it is not uncommon for them to send back heads that are too far out of spec to manufacturers.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 1:22 PM, Dancin said:

Gott Golf does fittings in covered bays at Green Valley Ranch hitting out to the range. I think they use flightscope X3s instead of trackman though. They don't specifically have fujikura listed on the website so you'd want to ask and make sure they have ventus

On 9/5/2023 at 7:25 AM, thaar said:

Does anyone know if Gott Golf or True Spec use non-range balls? I would much prefer outdoor fittings as well, but if they don't use something similar to the golf ball I use, it makes it more challenging to get properly fit.

If Gott make sure you call and ask in detail....!  Verify what they have and IF they have it in the head you are using.   Long story and soured me on Gott. 

I did True Spec last December.  Outside but was in Phoenix.  Great process.  I thought outside would be best also to see ball flight but after seeing the main True Spec shop in Phoenix I would do it indoors next time with them.  Place was awesome. 

Key difference doing it outside is the ball.  They have settings outdoor as I recall for the difference in the balls vs what you play to adjust but does leave that "question" in your head LOL.   IE: outdoors you are not going be using the ball you play with in the testing or more likely.

**If it is Titliest driver see about Bear Creek. Titleist had a fitting center there which was top type for Titliest.  You used to be able to setup a time.  They dont have ALL the shafts, but they do have a lot of them  IF you know what you want to test (model/flex) in advance and they do not have it they can get it and have there also when you do the fitting.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDM said:

If Gott make sure you call and ask in detail....!  Verify what they have and IF they have it in the head you are using.   Long story and soured me on Gott. 

I did True Spec last December.  Outside but was in Phoenix.  Great process.  I thought outside would be best also to see ball flight but after seeing the main True Spec shop in Phoenix I would do it indoors next time with them.  Place was awesome. 

Key difference doing it outside is the ball.  They have settings outdoor as I recall for the difference in the balls vs what you play to adjust but does leave that "question" in your head LOL.   IE: outdoors you are not going be using the ball you play with in the testing or more likely.

**If it is Titliest driver see about Bear Creek. Titleist had a fitting center there which was top type for Titliest.  You used to be able to setup a time.  They dont have ALL the shafts, but they do have a lot of them  IF you know what you want to test (model/flex) in advance and they do not have it they can get it and have there also when you do the fitting.   

You're hitting Pro V's at Bear Creeks range as well

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

17 hours ago, Joelness said:

FYI for those of you that might get new irons.... I got the Mizuno Pro 221 7-PW and Pro 223 5i-6i. Before I even played them I brought them downstairs and hit them on the GCQ. Holy s*** was the 6i wayyyyyy off. Everything else was great but the 6i was 1.5* strong, flying 6 yards shorter than the 5i and 33 yards longer than the 7i. Even the tightest tolerances of the big manufacturers can be more than you want! I ended up bending it to where I wanted before I even played a round of golf.

When you get the new set, have them checked! 

Funny I noticed on the range that I was getting a lot of dirt from the center to the toe, but nothing towards the heel...so I'm going Friday to have my lofts and lies checked over at Gott.  Will be interesting to see what they find.  I haven't had them checked in a few years so wouldn't be surprised if they need a lot of adjustments! 

18 hours ago, Joelness said:

It wanted me in a ProjectX LZ but it felt like crap to me and option 2 was the KBS C-Taper 130g X. I've been rocking the 125g S+ for years now and I definitely like the feel and flight of them better so no brainer there.

Oooh C-Taper 130X. I have been wanting to try those. I am currently in the KBS Tour X and I like them, but I would like to see if C-Taper would give an even more penetrating ball flight. I guess other contenders are DGX100 (grew up playing DG), and Modus 130X? Been curious about the new Fujikura Axiom iron shafts as well. 

I think I’m at a place with my bag where I love all the heads, just curious to try with different shafts. 

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

17 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Oooh C-Taper 130X. I have been wanting to try those. I am currently in the KBS Tour X and I like them, but I would like to see if C-Taper would give an even more penetrating ball flight. I guess other contenders are DGX100 (grew up playing DG), and Modus 130X? Been curious about the new Fujikura Axiom iron shafts as well. 

I think I’m at a place with my bag where I love all the heads, just curious to try with different shafts. 

Next time you roll to the house you can try them. I still have two old sets with the 125g C-Tapers in them you can try as well.

• Like 1

Playing Wellshire Sunday morning.   My yearly trip back to the stomping grounds.  I bet I played that course four times a week for four straight years in high school.  They’re also one the last to aerate so the greens won’t suck 

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

9 hours ago, Hardrain said:

I forget who all in here played the Twin Peaks Mid-Am qualifier yesterday but did anyone make it in?

I had a VERY interesting day. Shot 78 to miss by 4 or 5 strokes. Would have qualified if I made a bogey, or a double on 2, but instead I POSTED AN 11.  Took an unplayable, OB, and water hazard all on that hole, in that order. Needless to say it was an out of body experience where I wasn't certain I would ever finish the hole. Really wanted to walk off the course after that.

I was 8 over after 4 and played the rest of way even par with three birides on the back. I suppose shooting yourself out of the event early really frees you up to play without stress...Ah well, next year!

Whooooaaaa that’s crazy! Nice bounce back. I thought my experience was bad… Hit the first green in reg, pin high to the right, two nicely struck shots. Tentative, nervy birdie putt, comes up five feet short. Nuke my second putt through the break, leave myself three feet. MISS that one, SIX! WTF! Drive down the middle on two, sub-par 4iron lay up, get too cute with wedge third, bad chip, bad putt- another SIX. I don’t know if that start frees me up or if I just settled in. Played next 13 holes +1. Bogeyed last three. 77. Drove the ball well, irons decent but just a bit off directionally, short game rusty, nervy putting. I just don’t play in enough tournaments to stay sharp. It’s frustrating. Not sure what to do. Either play in a lot more or maybe just become a weekend casual golfer. I do like playing on tournaments though with good golfers, playing by the rules, counting them all, having the pressure of a score next to your name. I just wish I was better!

Congrats to @Joelnessfor making it!

• Like 3

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

On 9/12/2023 at 10:20 AM, Hardrain said:

I forget who all in here played the Twin Peaks Mid-Am qualifier yesterday but did anyone make it in?

I had a VERY interesting day. Shot 78 to miss by 4 or 5 strokes. Would have qualified if I made a bogey, or a double on 2, but instead I POSTED AN 11.  Took an unplayable, OB, and water hazard all on that hole, in that order. Needless to say it was an out of body experience where I wasn't certain I would ever finish the hole. Really wanted to walk off the course after that.

I was 8 over after 4 and played the rest of way even par with three birides on the back. I suppose shooting yourself out of the event early really frees you up to play without stress...Ah well, next year!

Ooof, that's a really rough start. I understand wanting to walk off but good on you for staying. That shows real character, especially then playing well after.

14 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Whooooaaaa that’s crazy! Nice bounce back. I thought my experience was bad… Hit the first green in reg, pin high to the right, two nicely struck shots. Tentative, nervy birdie putt, comes up five feet short. Nuke my second putt through the break, leave myself three feet. MISS that one, SIX! WTF! Drive down the middle on two, sub-par 4iron lay up, get too cute with wedge third, bad chip, bad putt- another SIX. I don’t know if that start frees me up or if I just settled in. Played next 13 holes +1. Bogeyed last three. 77. Drove the ball well, irons decent but just a bit off directionally, short game rusty, nervy putting. I just don’t play in enough tournaments to stay sharp. It’s frustrating. Not sure what to do. Either play in a lot more or maybe just become a weekend casual golfer. I do like playing on tournaments though with good golfers, playing by the rules, counting them all, having the pressure of a score next to your name. I just wish I was better!

Thanks! I forgot my strategy for Twin in a couple spots and was an absolute lip-out machine. I lipped out an eagle putt and two birdie putts in the first two holes. Aren't those two finishing holes tough? We got lucky to be moved up to 215 on 17 also.

I think your best bet to bridge the gap into tournament golf is to play men's league events. You'll generally be playing with people around your cap at the worst, counting every stroke and getting some nerves going. I think the next best option is to throw money on a game with someone else. It doesn't have to be big money, but as long as it's worth something to you it will make that 4 footer as nervy as it needs to be.

Come play Fox, I'll give you eight and take your $5 nassau money :classic_wink:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

Side note: bummer you guys didn't make it, there are a couple more bedrooms in my aunt's beautiful house to stay in that will be left empty. Anyone is welcome, especially if they want to be a caddy :classic_biggrin:

I'll be up in Steamboat in November for a hockey tournament.

I highly recommend Laura the Butcher's Meatbar for lunch, Mambo Italiano for dinner.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

19 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

@Joelness is a G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 007iron said:

Going to be down in Denver in mid-October - want to knock off one from my "haven't played" list and debating between Bear Dance, Murphy Creek & Riverdale Dunes.

Anyone have strong opinions on which is best, especially for fall golf?

Bear Dance by a long shot but they are aerating early next week so mid October would need to be at least 10/14 if you want smooth greens. Also need to watch for snow. If we get any early October storms, the snow doesn't melt fast down there due to all the trees/shade. Dunes and Murphy are pretty equivalent. Dunes is flat. Murphy has a little bit of elevation changes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dancin said:

Bear Dance by a long shot but they are aerating early next week so mid October would need to be at least 10/14 if you want smooth greens. Also need to watch for snow. If we get any early October storms, the snow doesn't melt fast down there due to all the trees/shade. Dunes and Murphy are pretty equivalent. Dunes is flat. Murphy has a little bit of elevation changes.

Nothing to add here. Dancin hit it perfectly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dang, that’s high praise for Bear Dance! Seems like everyone on here has high praise for Riverdale Dunes and Murphy Creek. I’ve still not played Murphy Creek. I loved RD when I played it 20+ years ago, haha. Is Bear Dance open to the public?

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

5 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Dang, that’s high praise for Bear Dance! Seems like everyone on here has high praise for Riverdale Dunes and Murphy Creek. I’ve still not played Murphy Creek. I loved RD when I played it 20+ years ago, haha. Is Bear Dance open to the public?

Bear Dance is sweet for sure. It is open to public but they have members as well who get the morning tee times and early access. So it’s not always easy to get a time but it’s definitely possible. 

edit: looks like you can actually make times 90 days out. Not sure when that started. Maybe it was always that way and I just didn’t realize it. So you can probably get a good time if you plan enough in advance. 

Edited by ASak10
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

I played Dunes last weekend and it was in good shape. They punched the first weekend of Sept. and I was surprised at how quickly it filled in. Far from true but should be good to go in your time frame. The native is still challenging but not as bad as spring. If you hit in there in April/May there was no chance to find or play your ball.

• Like 1

Took a trip over to Steamboat with the wife to get out of town and check out some fall colors. Haymaker looks beautiful right now. So did the couple holes of Catamount I could see. Didn’t see a single soul out on Catamount on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Haymaker looked packed. Good luck next weekend, Joel!

• Like 3

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

22 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Took a trip over to Steamboat with the wife to get out of town and check out some fall colors. Haymaker looks beautiful right now. So did the couple holes of Catamount I could see. Didn’t see a single soul out on Catamount on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Haymaker looked packed. Good luck next weekend, Joel!

Thanks man! I'm going to be working hard this week to prep. I was awful this weekend at the Boulder City so hopefully I can get it fixed in three days, lol.

• Like 2