2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

2 hours ago, Dancin said:

There are people who walk it and doing it when it is cooler and cart path only is the time to do it. I did it once for a second round of the day out there and I probably will never do it again for 18. The up and down isn't that bad but there are a few tees on the back 9 you have to walk up and back to which get old very quickly. The front 9 isn't bad at all for walking though.

3 hours ago, Joelness said:

You could walk it but I wouldn't recommend it. The back nine would be pretty rough. There is a four hole stretch that goes up and down a good deal.

If @Dancin doesn't walk it, 97% of people probably shouldn't either.

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Dancin said:

That is awesome. I like Broken Tee but it's been in pretty bad shape for years. It's still cheap too because of the conditions.

Lol it's been basically free, I'd bet you that 99% of play there were three year annual pass holders. The last time they ran this promotion was 2019, so it ended in January, all good things...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dancin said:

There are people who walk it and doing it when it is cooler and cart path only is the time to do it. I did it once for a second round of the day out there and I probably will never do it again for 18. The up and down isn't that bad but there are a few tees on the back 9 you have to walk up and back to which get old very quickly. The front 9 isn't bad at all for walking though.

I've done it, also wouldn't do it again. The back nine is a SLOG. In their defense the shop and the cart boys told me to grab a cart for the back 9 lol

• Like 1

My big problem with Broken Tee is the outrageous amount of goose crap on the course.  It's a health hazard...if you walk, your shoes and wheels on your cart are caked on it.

Then...the greens.  Early season, they're in pretty good shape - but because it's a cheaper course, it gets a lot of play and not many repair ball marks on it, which end up pitted by mid-summer and almost impossible to get a good roll.

I do like the layout of the course< I used to play in a golf league there on Tuesday's after work.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the course will be in good shape again this year!

-- P.J.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

3 hours ago, ztull said:

I've done it, also wouldn't do it again. The back nine is a SLOG. In their defense the shop and the cart boys told me to grab a cart for the back 9 lol

That's what I like about playing in a golf league where everyone rides. I get free cart rides between holes.

My Thursday night beer league occasionally hits Broken Tee (but I don't think we did last summer). Looking forward to maybe adding it to the rotation this summer.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I played 4-Mile Ranch this past Friday.  I was happy to see it was in pretty good shape overall.  The greens actually held shots into them - a novel accomplishment for Colorado golf in January!

A bit windy, 10-15 mph - but very playable.  I hadn't been there in a while, so it was good to get back out there.  As I've said before, I wouldn't want to play it every week, but it's a great option for an occasional winter 18.

I saw they got some snow last night, so not sure if it'll be open by the weekend - for those of you interested...

-- P.J.

3 hours ago, ztull said:

• Like 1

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

On 1/24/2023 at 10:33 PM, Dancin said:

Despite it being over freezing the previous night when we played a week or so ago (low was supposed to be 35) the ground was still very hard at 11 with a lot of melted water on the greens that a guy was slowly getting around and squeegeeing off. With a previous night low in the 20s there's a good chance you'll have frozen greens all morning. I would not want to play that course with cement greens.

Greens were relatively soft and holding shots into them.  We tee'd off around 10:30am (had a 10:50am, but got out early) and the first few tee boxes were pretty hard.  I carry a Phillips screwdriver in my bag, it creates a hole that's barely smaller than a tee (Colorado winter golf trip).  After the 3rd hole, didn't really need it.  I had taken off one of my 3 layers by the 5th hole.  The high was 54 on Friday and very playable.  I put a jacket back on around 16 as it was starting to get chilly again.  I will say I play with two gloves (year-round), so my hands didn't get chilly.

-- P.J.

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

On 1/30/2023 at 7:49 PM, golf4pj said:

I played 4-Mile Ranch this past Friday.  I was happy to see it was in pretty good shape overall.  The greens actually held shots into them - a novel accomplishment for Colorado golf in January!

A bit windy, 10-15 mph - but very playable.  I hadn't been there in a while, so it was good to get back out there.  As I've said before, I wouldn't want to play it every week, but it's a great option for an occasional winter 18.

I saw they got some snow last night, so not sure if it'll be open by the weekend - for those of you interested...

-- P.J.

By chance did you meet up with a few other guys off Lincoln by a Safeway/McDonalds?   

Heading into the office on Friday morning I saw 3 guys doing the golf bag shuffle into one car.  Given the weather the only place I could think they were going to was 4 Mile Ranch.  🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CDM said:

This little launch monitor is getting some serious hype at the PGA show.  Looks rather interesting for $699.99

https://rapsodo.com/pages/golf-mlm2pro 

The 1st gen device was on sale on Amazon for $300 the other day.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CDM said:

By chance did you meet up with a few other guys off Lincoln by a Safeway/McDonalds?   

Heading into the office on Friday morning I saw 3 guys doing the golf bag shuffle into one car.  Given the weather the only place I could think they were going to was 4 Mile Ranch.  🤣

Nope, wasn't me - we carpooled, but met up in Monument with some CoS buddies.

Trying to get back down that way on either Friday or Sunday...hoping to get on Cheyenne Shadows, if not will try Sumo or Four Mile Ranch.

• Like 1

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

17 hours ago, golf4pj said:

Nope, wasn't me - we carpooled, but met up in Monument with some CoS buddies.

Trying to get back down that way on either Friday or Sunday...hoping to get on Cheyenne Shadows, if not will try Sumo or Four Mile Ranch.

Cheyenne Shadows is nothing to write home about and the badging process for civilians sucks. If you're active duty or retired military Ike Blue doesn't use temp greens, it's a best in state course and one of the better bang for buck values (even at the $67 civilian rate) in the world.

Otherwise you're on the right track with 4 Mile, walking stick in Pueblo is a few minutes down the road but also great.

I see that Ike Blue is your home course, so I'm guessing you are retired military, and I'm sure you know all this.  My in-laws sometimes play at Cheyenne Shadows for the inverted pay structure (both retired as Colonels). You might know my FIL, USAFA Hall of Fame cart boy Randy Davis. 

Edited by ztull
  • Like 1

Anyone down in the Colorado Springs area have a hunch as to whether CSprings courses will be playable this Sunday?

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Anyone down in the Colorado Springs area have a hunch as to whether CSprings courses will be playable this Sunday?

Cheyenne Shadows is planning to be open.  I got an 8:30am tee time (but they only had a 2-some), anticipating a frost delay.  Only other option was 1pm, seemed to far to drive to 'maybe' get done before dark (with frost delays in front of it).  I called around Pueblo, everything was booked - next option was Hollydot in Commerce City.  You can typically get on Sumo this late, but Four Mile Ranch was also booked solid.

I'm playing Sumo tomorrow (Friday) morning at 10:10am - have room for a single, if anyone wants in.

-- P.J.

• Like 1

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I like Fort Carson's Cheyenne Shadows, for a military course - its really well maintained.  They've got some challenging holes and the layout is interesting.  Definitely a great winter course as they don't have too many trees.  The Gate pass thing is a pain in the butt, for sure - the wait time to get a pass can be ~5min - 45min, you never really know.   But, as you guessed - being retired military, I don't have to deal with that.  Civilian's can get an annual pass there, if you buy a punch card for golf.  It's kind of a nice extra, most military courses don't let 'outsiders' play the course unless they're with a military/retired military/Federal Govt civilian employee.  Carson started letting civilians play without military at least 5+ years ago and it's brought in some extra play.  It can be hard to get a tee time there during the Summer.

-- P.J.

• Like 1

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

My one and only plug for FRGC. Schedule is on the attached flyer and on the website (Todd Creek and Ute Creek are still being finalized). I should be able to play Indian Peaks, but then I'll pretty much will be gone until the Ryder Cup in mid-July.

If you have any questions, shoot me a DM. If you want to join, also shoot me a DM. I get a $20 referral bonus, and I'm happy to buy you a post-golf beer.

FRGC Flyer 2023.pdf

19 hours ago, golf4pj said:

I like Fort Carson's Cheyenne Shadows, for a military course - its really well maintained.  They've got some challenging holes and the layout is interesting.  Definitely a great winter course as they don't have too many trees.  The Gate pass thing is a pain in the butt, for sure - the wait time to get a pass can be ~5min - 45min, you never really know.   But, as you guessed - being retired military, I don't have to deal with that.  Civilian's can get an annual pass there, if you buy a punch card for golf.  It's kind of a nice extra, most military courses don't let 'outsiders' play the course unless they're with a military/retired military/Federal Govt civilian employee.  Carson started letting civilians play without military at least 5+ years ago and it's brought in some extra play.  It can be hard to get a tee time there during the Summer.

-- P.J.

This is tough, because it's so close to the Ike courses. It's hard to compare anything to Ike Blue. They inverted the standard military golf course pay structure, generals pay the least, privates the most, my in-laws, both retired Colonels, can't get enough. Imagining a lot of other retired officers jam up that tee sheet in the summer too.

Edited by ztull
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ztull said:

This is tough, because it's so close to the Ike courses. It's hard to compare anything to Ike Blue. They inverted the standard military golf course pay structure, generals pay the least, privates the most, my in-laws, both retired Colonels, can't get enough. Imagining a lot of other retired officers jam up that tee sheet in the summer too.

The inverted pay structure you mention is 100% incorrect.  It's quite the opposite - AF Academy Cadets and junior enlisted pay the least amount, then enlisted non-commissioned officers and officers.  The higher the rank (whether Active or Retired), the more they pay.  Trust me, I am VERY familiar with the policy, I've been a member there since 2004.

I don't have the current rates, but the pic below is from 2021 -- this is for annual green fees.  It's gone up since then, but you can definitely see the pay structure.

We're told there's going to be a large increase in 2023, plus - they're building a new hotel just outside of the AFA property, that allegedly is going to include guest rights to play AFA when staying there.  As you can imagine, the membership is not happy about adding even more people to the folks trying to get tee times.

-- P.J.

AFA-2021-Rates-Annual.png

Edited by golf4pj
  • Like 2

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Got out to Sumo today, was windy (~10-15mph), but warmed nicely - Temps his 60 degrees.

Tee boxes are a little beat-up, but no snow and the greens were soft.

Cost was $42 (for military/retired military) or $47.  I think they have a senior rate, I'm not quite there yet...

Going to try to play Cheyenne Shadows on Sunday, if they got enough snow melt.

-- P.J.

• Like 1

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

17 hours ago, golf4pj said:

The inverted pay structure you mention is 100% incorrect.  It's quite the opposite - AF Academy Cadets and junior enlisted pay the least amount, then enlisted non-commissioned officers and officers.  The higher the rank (whether Active or Retired), the more they pay.  Trust me, I am VERY familiar with the policy, I've been a member there since 2004.

I don't have the current rates, but the pic below is from 2021 -- this is for annual green fees.  It's gone up since then, but you can definitely see the pay structure.

We're told there's going to be a large increase in 2023, plus - they're building a new hotel just outside of the AFA property, that allegedly is going to include guest rights to play AFA when staying there.  As you can imagine, the membership is not happy about adding even more people to the folks trying to get tee times.

-- P.J.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/AFA-2021-Rates-Annual.png.34bec8cc11c33824250745150ea07453.png

ah I was talking about the pay structure at Cheyanne Shadows, not at the USAFA Courses!!! 

I’ve seen the site for the proposed hotel 😔 don’t think anyone is excited about it. 

Hit Four Mile Ranch today....like many.   Given it is February pretty good shape.   Some patchy areas and dry but the greens held shots.  

Been playing with core friends who are better then I.  Black/Blue combo today. Buddy was 4 under through 12 holes but finished at 3 under as the wind picked up hard....really hard!! Last 6-7 holes played pretty tough.    If you have not played Four Mile it has 5 par 5's.  3 are completely blind approach if going in 2.  Two of the 3 blind par 5's he got on in 2 and one other.  Holes 2, 15 and 18.  Was cool to see such good shots.  

I have noticed lately when playing with better players I find I play better.  Makes me focus more, to think through the shots more on all aspects... and probably more so not embarrass myself 🤣Watching their pre shot routine, how they analysis each aspect before pulling the trigger is starting to sink in.  

Edited by CDM
  • Like 4

On 2/3/2023 at 8:03 PM, birdiemachine said:

Played Four Mile Ranch today. The front nine greens tore me apart. Played better on the back. I walked and thought it was fine. Fossil Trace is a much harder walk. 

Group in front of us had 2 walkers with other 2 in a cart. They played fast.  We caught them twice but when we did they picked it up and the last 4-5 holes they hauled butt...!  People who know how to walk a course for sure are always faster it seems. 

**Granted with cart path only right now you probably walk 60% of the course..

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

Got down to Cheyenne Shadows today - I teed off at 9:00am (after a 30min frost delay).  Greens were understandably hard for the first 9, then softened up.  Shot a respectable 79, considering the conditions.  It was cart-path only for carts, but we had 4 walkers and played in 3 hrs, 50 min.  The 3-some behind us were all walking, but were lagging behind, almost 2 full holes down.  Like most courses these days, marshals rarely say anything or enforce pace of play - I was grateful they were behind us.

All in all, the sun was out, there was really no wind - so a fantastic day for February golf in Colorado.  Had a buddy playing 2 hrs behind us, they said the winds came up and was pretty rough for the last 5 holes.  I was back home and watching golf by then... ;-)

• Like 3

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Likewise beautiful day yesterday out west in Fruita. Showed up at 11am without a tee time and was slightly concerned by the number of cars in the lot but as a single was able to get out within 20 minutes. It's nice that Adobe has 27 holes as it obviously accommodates 50% more golfers.

But it was pretty slow. 2:05 for the first 9 and 4:30 total. The golf boom is not over and especially the first really nice Sunday and the first Sunday without football seemed to get the people out.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Joelness said:

How is the snow looking in the city? I'm hoping it melts off by Saturday but that's looking a bit too optimistic. Big wind up here tomorrow but the high is only 36 so it still might not melt much.

Looks like a few more inches coming next Tuesday/Wednesday

Report from Wellshire:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WELLSHIRE: we still have some thick crunchy areas of snow and ice. It is melting but not at a good pace. We are many days of good melting away. The golf shop is open 8:00-4:00 each day and all men’s and ladies apparel and shoes are 50% off. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/welshiregc?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#welshiregc</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/denvergolfupdates?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#denvergolfupdates</a> <a href="https://t.co/a3sJ2tNuy5">pic.twitter.com/a3sJ2tNuy5</a></p>&mdash; Denver Golf (@DenverGolf5280) <a href="https://twitter.com/DenverGolf5280/status/1623360108565774336?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 8, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twitter.com/DenverGolf5280/status/1623360108565774336?s=20

Edited by birdiemachine
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Joelness said:

How is the snow looking in the city? I'm hoping it melts off by Saturday but that's looking a bit too optimistic. Big wind up here tomorrow but the high is only 36 so it still might not melt much.

Looks like a few more inches coming next Tuesday/Wednesday

Not happening. I would think most ranges will be open this weekend though. Indian Peaks range opened today.

You're heading 2 hours south if you want to play.

• Sad 1