Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

I tried to get on Four Mile on Friday, but waited too long -- so I'm heading back to Sumo.  I won't play Sumo in the Spring/Summer/Fall due to the conditions just aren't worth it.  For Winter conditions, its in pretty good shape, though the greens are slower than I like.  But, you're able to get a shot to hit and sit on the greens, for Colorado in January - I'll take that every time!

-- P.J.

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

10 hours ago, Dancin said:

Was Sumo in good shape (at least for winter conditions)? I've never played it because people I have played 4 mile with over the years that are local are always telling me that the conditions at Sumo are horrible. Whenever we do a 36 hole day we usually combine 4 mile with Walking Stick for the same reason. If Sumo finally got their conditions better that would be great.

For Winter conditions, its in pretty good shape, though the greens are slower than I like.  But, you're able to get a shot to hit and sit on the greens, for Colorado in January - I'll take that every time!

I like the layout of Sumo, there are some interesting and fun holes.  They're still in the 'Call the Pro Shop' for a tee time mode, which means you can usually get a tee time.  I've tried twice this year - asking for 10am.  First time I got 10am, this time I asked for 10am again, but apparently its a busy day - I got 10:10am. 🙂

• Like 1

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

2 hours ago, I_HATE_SNOW said:

Envious, snow drifts will be here until April.  Usually play every month.

Definitely unusual. It's been over two weeks since the last major storm, and I still have a pretty significant amount of snow on my driveway (by the time I got home from vacation, the snow had melted and refroze enough to the point where my snowblower said nope) and cul-de-sac.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

5 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Definitely unusual. It's been over two weeks since the last major storm, and I still have a pretty significant amount of snow on my driveway (by the time I got home from vacation, the snow had melted and refroze enough to the point where my snowblower said nope) and cul-de-sac.

Longmont golf courses should open next week, especially Ute Creek with no trees. I think the amount of snow on my lawn is <2" and melting fast.

NOTE: I just re-read this and it's not coming across right. The deepest parts of snow on my lawn at that deep. I can see about 25% with no snow at all.

Edited by Joelness

Still a lot of snow out by Murphy Creek and east side of Denver metro.  I have similar to everyone else.  Can see about 25% of my yard is all an not melting as fast as I wished. 

On a different note, we are playing 4 Mile Ranch tomorrow now LOL.  It was supposed to be Walking Stick as I noted but the friend who booked it had both up on the screen to see what was available and thought he was on the Walking Stick screen when he booked until he looked later at the reservation again on Thursday...!  

Like a non-planned "MINI"  Co-WRX group event tomorrow at 4 Mile  🤣

Good news - Bad news: new irons showed up early....going right in the bag, not even hit once. They are significantly different setup then I normally play so the round at 4 Mile should be "interesting".  

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 12:25 PM, Joelness said:

Longmont golf courses should open next week, especially Ute Creek with no trees. I think the amount of snow on my lawn is <2" and melting fast.

NOTE: I just re-read this and it's not coming across right. The deepest parts of snow on my lawn at that deep. I can see about 25% with no snow at all.

Looks like I missed the change in the weather forecast. Right when all the snow melted off my lawn. I haven't looked at Ute Creek, but with all the trees on Fox it will also be a while.

• Like 1

I did get out to Fruita to play Adobe Creek last Friday - was almost 50 degrees with minimal wind and the course was in pretty good shape (no sign of snow anywhere on the Grand Junction side of DeBeque canyon). Played the Desert and Mesa 9s (so need to get down for the Monument 9 at some point if we get another nice day before other courses start to open).

Fun course - some interesting holes and plenty of room to bat it around; greens had a lot of undulation. No houses on the course. The 3 9s all crisscross the whole way so you're not really just out on one section of the land for each 9 which is pretty cool. $42 to walk 18 is fine for this time of the year I guess. Nice option about an hour 15 minutes away.

Played pretty awful but it was 7 weeks to the day since I had hit a golf ball so no complaints. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CDM said:

.....plus the number of greens you just land it somewhere around the green and it will roll towards the pin 😃 

Yeah, I think it was 14 or so, the completely blind par 3.  Three of us hit balls on pretty different lines and all three were within 3' of the cup.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Joelness said:

Yeah, I think it was 14 or so, the completely blind par 3.  Three of us hit balls on pretty different lines and all three were within 3' of the cup.

That's 4-Mile Ranch for you - blind shots, bowled greens or elephants buried underneath them!  Fun to play every once in a while, but it'd drive me crazy to play it as my regular course.

• Like 1

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Got a last-minute invite to play at Top Golf on Saturday evening (friend's daughter works there, so pretty significant bay rental discount). I think Twizzlers are stiffer than the shafts there. And the scoring makes zero sense--three-hopping into the white zone gives you more points than flying one in...sometimes. I almost got 200 points just taking a wedge and alternating shots into the yellow, green, and orange/brown zones. Regardless, a fun time.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dancin said:

Up to 10 inches by the end of this storm. No golf in Denver till March

Good grief, Colorado is getting blasted this winter.  Hope for some warm sun and fast melting for all the Colorado WRXers.  That's one thing I don't miss (snow).  Best regards to all!

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I'm holding out hope that we'll get some of the normal snow melt in the coming weeks.  I've managed to play at least one round a month, for the past 17+ years.  January and February are typically the most challenging months.  Fortunately, I've already got 2 rounds in January.

I'm not letting this storm break that streak - if nothing else, I'll drive down to Pueblo/Florence/Canon City to get my round in!!

I was checking the CDOT traffic cams down that way, looks like they only got a dusting (so far).  Fingers crossed.

-- P.J.

• Like 1

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

13 minutes ago, golf4pj said:

I'm holding out hope that we'll get some of the normal snow melt in the coming weeks.  I've managed to play at least one round a month, for the past 17+ years.  January and February are typically the most challenging months.  Fortunately, I've already got 2 rounds in January.

I'm not letting this storm break that streak - if nothing else, I'll drive down to Pueblo/Florence/Canon City to get my round in!!

I was checking the CDOT traffic cams down that way, looks like they only got a dusting (so far).  Fingers crossed.

-- P.J.

I have a co-worker in the springs and she had no idea it was even supposed to snow. PJ is right on this one, the southern half of the state is basically not seeing anything.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Joelness said:

I have a co-worker in the springs and she had no idea it was even supposed to snow. PJ is right on this one, the southern half of the state is basically not seeing anything.

My buddy just told me that Elmwood Golf Course (Pueblo) said they expect to be open this afternoon!  A bit too chilly for me, but that's encouraging!

• Like 1

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

YEP, its offical this snow does SUCK...!  😂

Good news is @Joelness was on the mark, no snow south.  This weekend weather does not promote playing, plus some good games on to watch.   Checking wether forecst it appears a couple of weekends out could be in the mid 50's depending on which site you go to.

May have to watch and snag a tee time, need to get in some range time/ playing time to get used to new irons. 

We probably got 10" here in northwest Parker, but the snow is melting a lot faster than the last storm.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

We probably got 10" here in northwest Parker, but the snow is melting a lot faster than the last storm.

We got 6"-7" in Longmont. It's melting thanks to the sun but not quickly in these temps. Unfortunately boys I just looked at my phone and weather underground has another ~5" Sunday-Monday.

The GCQ is going to get some use the next 6 weeks!

Facebook reminded me that 14 years ago today, some jackhole stole my golf clubs out of my garage in the middle of the night.

Great Big Bertha 9° with stock XS shaft

Ping Eye2 Plus No Plus 2-PW w/ Cushin shafts (I think XS)

Ping M/B wedges 52°/56°/60°

Ping G2 mini C putter

Ping Hoofer bag

• Sad 2

On 1/20/2023 at 10:25 AM, Joelness said:

We got 6"-7" in Longmont. It's melting thanks to the sun but not quickly in these temps. Unfortunately boys I just looked at my phone and weather underground has another ~5" Sunday-Monday.

The GCQ is going to get some use the next 6 weeks!

We only got about a half inch!

I think I'm finally about 98% strength back! My balance is still coming back and my main golf workout focus this year will be balance. Also weird, but it seems I picked up 10 yards on everything. I hit ~100 balls on the GCQ last night and both my PW and 6i were flying 10 yards farther.

There you go boys, the secret to more distance! Just break your pelvis!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Joelness said:

I think I'm finally about 98% strength back! My balance is still coming back and my main golf workout focus this year will be balance. Also weird, but it seems I picked up 10 yards on everything. I hit ~100 balls on the GCQ last night and both my PW and 6i were flying 10 yards farther.

Wife changed the altitude setting on your GCQ to boost your ego. 😀

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Joelness said:

110% know what that feels like.  Took me 6 months plus after surgery to feel like I was getting balance backj in my swing. I could not even turn through the ball untill end of last year and had the surgery in March. Slow process.   

I picked two balance boards off Amazon.  The round Amazon one and a roller surf type one which helped me feel "center" better.  Can not say it went well to start LOL 🙃

1 hour ago, CDM said:

110% know what that feels like.  Took me 6 months plus after surgery to feel like I was getting balance backj in my swing. I could not even turn through the ball untill end of last year and had the surgery in March. Slow process.   

I picked two balance boards off Amazon.  The round Amazon one and a roller surf type one which helped me feel "center" better.  Can not say it went well to start LOL 🙃

I've actually been using a balance pad as that's what my Physical Therapist uses and swears by. They even sold me one in stock for cost.  

• Like 1