Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

12 hours ago, golf4pj said:

No, unfortunately not.  I only have golf shoes with BOA laces these days.

I had a pair of FJ DNA's that were BOA and were amazing. However, I've only had catastrophic failure with their BOA's since then. When you're in a tournament and it fails, it's pretty terrible so I won't be spending the extra money for them any longer.

6 hours ago, Joelness said:

I had a pair of FJ DNA's that were BOA and were amazing. However, I've only had catastrophic failure with their BOA's since then. When you're in a tournament and it fails, it's pretty terrible so I won't be spending the extra money for them any longer.

The DNAs were the best spiked shoe FJ ever put out. Great arch support for those with plantar fascitis or other arch issues and comfortable. I still have a pair I use if it is raining.

6 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Joel with the flex: FJ can't make a shoe that can withstand my power.

I still have a pair of FootJoy's first-gen BOA shoes that I occasionally use. I'm so excited that ski boots have finally joined the BOA game.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

CGA's annual auction has started...there is a foursome at the Sanctuary available. Most golf is your typical Monday-Thursday deal.

https://www.charityauctionstoday.com/auctions/2023-cga-season-kick-off-auction-34390

14 hours ago, Dancin said:

The DNAs were the best spiked shoe FJ ever put out. Great arch support for those with plantar fascitis or other arch issues and comfortable. I still have a pair I use if it is raining.

Amen, and then ruined in later attempts for the "new" thing.

14 hours ago, Dancin said:

Joel with the flex: FJ can't make a shoe that can withstand my power.

:classic_laugh:. I wish it was me. It was a pretty bad design defect in the end. They had the cable going through a long internal tube right off the "clicker" part of it. Eventually the tightly wound cable would cut through its own sheathing and then jam up inside the internal tube until it just broke. It happened on three different pairs after I sent them in for warranty.

Speaking of, what happened to Footjoy shoes?! All of a sudden a couple years ago they got super narrow and now my average foot needs to order a wide size. The Tour X was an absolute debacle as well. It was so awful that I don't buy FJ at all any longer. I tried some ECCO's for the 36 hole walking days and now I don't think I can go back to spikes again. I haven't slipped in them in 20 months of owning them so why go back to a more uncomfortable shoe for extra traction I don't need?

What took so long on the ski/snowboard boots?!?! BOA has been out for at least a decade now.

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

What took so long on the ski/snowboard boots?!?! BOA has been out for at least a decade now.

Snowboard boots have been on the BOA train even before golf shoes. But, yeah, if they blow out on the slopes, then good luck trying to get back down the mountain without breaking an ankle. Not sure why ski boots took so long, but there is only one on the market (and still has two buckles), and it's $700 right now.

Okay... I just discovered that Nordica makes the perfect lazy man's ski boot... https://www.nordica.com/usa/en/men/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

Outside just had an article about it, here's the tl;dr:

Alpine ski boots have to endure far higher forces and more days on snow than most touring boots, and the BOA cabling system didn’t exactly have a reputation for durability (just ask snowboarders). To be integrated into an alpine boot, a new BOA system had to be developed—one that was bomb-proof, burly, and above all, solve a real problem for skiers. 

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/snow-sports-gear/four-buckle-boots-are-about-to-become-a-relic-of-the-past/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Snowboard boots have been on the BOA train even before golf shoes. But, yeah, if they blow out on the slopes, then good luck trying to get back down the mountain without breaking an ankle. Not sure why ski boots took so long, but there is only one on the market (and still has two buckles), and it's $700 right now.

Okay... I just discovered that Nordica makes the perfect lazy man's ski boot... https://www.nordica.com/usa/en/men/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf

HAHAHA that is ...!  

On 2/22/2023 at 10:22 AM, Joelness said:

OMG that's terrible. Good job not going there! I'm glad the other ones made it through also.

Turns out one of the courses we have set it was not 150 trees but 1500 trees. 

Article was sent over to me.  Might be a single round at Kinloch that day now ...  😂  *Also "world class" is subjective 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/news/cyclone-gabrielle-damage-closes-world-class-golf-course/YNBEHL272JFLZPXCFHLSO67V6I/

Drive by holes 3 and 4 of Ute Creek today. Surprisingly little snow out there. I could we it being playable by Tuesday, but then temps dip again. Man, we are really struggling for Feb golf this year!

• Like 1

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Willis Case is opening up on Sunday for 9 holes! Walking only.

I picked up a single tee time, there are still some left after Noon.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

I went over to Gott Golf today for a loft/lie analysis.  For those of you who don't know, Gott Golf is co-located at Green Valley Ranch in Denver.

It's a pretty cool set-up, they have indoor driving bays, that open up to the golf courses driving range.  They do a host of things from fittings to lessons.

In short, I didn't really want a club fitting, as I had already have the irons I wanted.  But, I wanted to get the loft/lie checked for my swing.

I worked with the owner, Greg Pattison and was really happy with the process.

If you've ever done a fitting before - and this was my 4th time - they usually have you hit a 7-iron with either a hitting board that marks up the sole of your club to get a reading, or use the loft/angle impact decals with marked balls.  Greg used the decals.  But, he didn't just do it on my 7-iron, we walked through every iron in my bag.  Greg explained to me that he recently had a skilled high school player come in, the only club that he hit that didn't need an adjustment was his 7-iron, all the others took some minor tweaks.  So, if he had done just the standard 7-iron challenge, the young man would have walked away thinking he was standard across all his clubs.

In my previous club fittings, twice I was told I was standard length/loft, once I was +2* upright.  All of those fittings were 7-iron only (with various shafts/heads).

So was very interested to see what Gott Golf said...

Similarly for me, my lofts adjusted varied from .5 to 1.5 upright, with every club getting a slight adjustment.

I'm looking forward to my next round and see if I can tell a difference.

Oh, and by the way - the cost for the analysis, including the adjustments while I waited, was only $50

-- P.J.

• Like 4

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Driving range was open at Collindale today. Felt good to watch the ball fly. I’ve always loved those first few shots of the year. Reminds me why we love this game so much!

• Like 1

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

I got out today for 9 holes at Willis Case.  As you can imagine, the course was pretty wet from the snow melt, but playable.

It was good to be back out there again!

• Like 2

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Looks like everywhere up north will be open by tomorrow. I got an email from Ute Creek that they opened today and I got another one for Fox saying they will be opening tomorrow.

I'm also pumped to see that the forecast has gotten better for Tue-Wed and what little snow we might get will be melted by EOD Wednesday. Sunday looks perfect!

I'm going on a trip to the Pinehurst area in 2.5 weeks....maybe I'll actually get some practice rounds in before?!?! I definitely need it!  

Going to try to play CG Friday and then play 9 with the wife and kids there Sunday.  

@golf4pj thanks for the write up on that experience over at Gott, was curious how things were there since it sold and that sounds like a great service.  I'll have to give it a try as I haven't had those checked in a few years now.  

Was the Trackman range up and going yet?  I'm actually a little excited for that, may get me out to the range there a little more often.  

• Like 2

Doing a driver fitting friday afternoon. I've been playing Callaway Maverick since it came out and I'm looking forward to seeing if it gets beat.

Also, is there such thing as shaft fatigue (No CDM, not that kind)? I've used the same Graphite Design ADDI for 10-12 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

3 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Doing a driver fitting friday afternoon. I've been playing Callaway Maverick since it came out and I'm looking forward to seeing if it gets beat.

Also, is there such thing as shaft fatigue (No CDM, not that kind)? I've used the same Graphite Design ADDI for 10-12 years.

No, graphite shafts don't weaken or change gradually under even pro tour use. The only things that can damage graphite are extreme heat or hitting them on something that noticeably shaved off part of the graphite at that point in the shaft. When they fail it is a catastrophic failure and break, not a slow change. So keep using that shaft if it works for you.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dancin said:

No, graphite shafts don't weaken or change gradually under even pro tour use. The only things that can damage graphite are extreme heat or hitting them on something that noticeably shaved off part of the graphite at that point in the shaft. When they fail it is a catastrophic failure and break, not a slow change. So keep using that shaft if it works for you.

Thanks Dancin! 

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Walked 18 at CG today and it was perfect! Sunny. Warm enough, was able to shed multiple layers and just had on a polo and vest by the end. We had the course to ourselves (there were some others out there but never in front or behind us). We played in 3 hours and that included hitting multiple balls on some shots, rolling extra putts, and just messing around. Felt good to be out there! 

• Like 3