2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

Just landed in Phoenix. Friend and I got a game lined up at Phoenix Country Club tomorrow and in a men’s league type game at Arrowhead Country Club Sunday. Weather looks good. I see no spring in sight in FoCo…

In equipment news, I’ve been doing some extensive driver testing this winter. Stealth 2 Plus, TSR3, Paradym Triple Diamond, G430 LST, Wilson Dynapwr Carbon (surprisingly very good), Srixon MKII ZX5 LS, Aerojet LS, Mizujo STZ. I think that’s it, haha. For me the hands down winner was Paradym TD. That thing is so good. I’m going to pull the trigger on one. Gotta have a low spin bomber for the Rain Dance tips, haha. Really happy with the rest of the bag. Looking forward to the season, if it ever comes. 

• Like 4

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

On 3/1/2023 at 3:59 PM, TheKrushh said:

Doing a driver fitting friday afternoon. I've been playing Callaway Maverick since it came out and I'm looking forward to seeing if it gets beat.

Also, is there such thing as shaft fatigue (No CDM, not that kind)? I've used the same Graphite Design ADDI for 10-12 years.

Where did you do the fitting? What were the results?

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I forgot to mention that there was a lot of earth-moving equipment along hole 7 at Meridian. Kind of tough to see from Lincoln, but it looks like they were actually in the lake where water usually is (but I think that lake has been super low for the past few years).

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Well that sucks. Because my Callaway Epic Subzero with the cracked graphite crown was so old (6 years) the best they would do is sell me a discounted Rogue for $350. I think I'd rather try out all the new heads and spend a few hundred more on whatever is best for me from all the brands than spend that much on an older model.

UPDATE: after complaining on a customer survey after my call that a 95 mph club head swinger should never result in the crown of a driver cracking through normal use and that this is a design defect (go online and it did happen quite a bit to the epic line), Callaway called me back and came through and sent me a Rogue ST Max LS for free. Kudos to Callaway and Thank You!

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thaar said:

Where did you do the fitting? What were the results?

Went to Club Champion as they have done most of my recent fittings. I currently play a Callaway Mavrik with GD ADDI 7X. Hit basically everything and nothing was as good from a ball flight perspective. I could get the Titleist and Taylormade a few yards further but way less consistent. I was fully expecting to fit and buy a Paradym but for some reason it did not work for me at all. Sticking with what works!

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

18 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

I forgot to mention that there was a lot of earth-moving equipment along hole 7 at Meridian. Kind of tough to see from Lincoln, but it looks like they were actually in the lake where water usually is (but I think that lake has been super low for the past few years).

I played there on Friday, they are redoing the retaining wall in the lake.

also putting in a new irrigation line on 1

taking your approach over a backhoe on 7 makes the hole even harder lol

Edited by ztull
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Went to Club Champion as they have done most of my recent fittings. I currently play a Callaway Mavrik with GD ADDI 7X. Hit basically everything and nothing was as good from a ball flight perspective. I could get the Titleist and Taylormade a few yards further but way less consistent. I was fully expecting to fit and buy a Paradym but for some reason it did not work for me at all. Sticking with what works!

Maybe shaft fatigue  🤪

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sochax92 said:

I played Todd Creek Sunday also, teed off at 12:20, the last 4 holes were BRUTAL! Wasnt ready for it, got back from a FL golf trip the week before and the weather was not like TC last Sunday. Ready to get back out there, City Park on Saturday for my birthday weekend, cant wait to get out there and walk 18 again!

Oh dang, you weren't far behind us! We teed off at noon.

So as odd as it will sound I played 63 holes this weekend. 2 day quick hit out to a course and then played Meadows on Sunday.  27/18/18. 

The first 27 hit it really well and very happy.  I played 2 balls for 27 holes, in a cart and no one around so did it in 3hr 28 mins.   The next day played 2 balls again but I had no focus.  I lost two balls from really really lazy swings.  I was not tired, I was just going to through the "motion" of swinging if that makes sense.   Have to figure out how to stay motivated better I guess...!? 

Sunday at the Meadows I was more focused but no choice as that WIND.... crazy. Heck it was hard to even swing with some form of balance when the gusts.  Holes 4-7 the wind switched direction 3 or 4 times on each hole.  Back 9 was better wind direction but it keep getting stronger as the day progressed.   

The shocking part, we had a 580 min frost delay.  Twosome as the others dropped out from wind/delay.  Second group off.  The foursome in front were in carts and us two walking. Tee off to finish we played in under 4 hours and we got held up on 18 from players who went out off the back 9.  EVERY round should be so smooth....!   

So pretty happy how I am hitting new irons....when I stay focused.   I need to mentally figure out how to focus better when not motiviated....I geuss dont really care.  Plus if the wind is gusting 20+ MPH I suck really bad 🤣

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 3:12 PM, TheKrushh said:

Those guys are great. The same thing happened to me a couple year ago. The one in Westminister refused to take my money when they couldn't find a better one.

On 3/7/2023 at 3:09 PM, jacobEDGE said:

My annual golf hibernation has came & went. Played my first round since early October over the weekend. And as is tradition; I've completely forgotten how to play the game of golf in these cold, dark 4/5 months.

Went from 6 straight rounds in the 70's to close out last year, to shooting 91 with 39 putts on Sunday. Granted, it was extremely windy up at Todd Creek. But either way, just abysmal. 

Let's see how 2023 treats me.

Sounds about right. I've been sitting here thinking my suckiness comes from the injury. Then I remembered that it's also still winter....

Got out for the first time this year for 9 yesterday at South Suburban. For being the first time out, I didn't play too terribly - had some great shots with a sand save (that happens maybe once a year!), and had a few bad ones too. I did have a first though. Hole 5 might have the dumbest green in Colorado, IMO (some ppl argue 13 is - so we have two of the worst greens in CO lol). My approach shot was just short of the green. With the grass still being dormant and short, it made sense to putt it. Hit a good putt with good pace, but of course it broke right at the cup and rolled 20ft away below the hole. Next putt, I put past the hole by 2.5ft - I know better but I'm clearly out of practice. I naturally lipped out the next putt and ended back to where I was before 20ft away lol. I then hit a great putt that made it to the edge of the hole but of course, rolled back to my feet rather than sticking there. 2 more putts to hole out. Fantastic 5-putt (and one from just off of the green) 😂. F'n stupid green! 🤬

They are going to build a new green for 13, and may be filling in the gulley between the fairways on hole 2. 

Edited by thaar
  • Like 3

Edel E-1

1 hour ago, thaar said:

They are going to build a new green for 13, and may be filling in the gulley between the fairways on hole 2. 

If anything they should really trim back the branches of the trees in the gulley--especially on the left side. I imagine a lot of people hit into them (surprisingly, not me).

There is also that really tall tree on the right side of #3 with the single stupid branch that sticks out like 500 feet.

Some of the Thursday beer league guys played South Suburban on Tuesday. Hopefully we're going to start playing regularly next week.

Edited by pseudoswede

28 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

If anything they should really trim back the branches of the trees in the gulley--especially on the left side. I imagine a lot of people hit into them (surprisingly, not me).

There is also that really tall tree on the right side of #3 with the single stupid branch that sticks out like 500 feet.

Some of the Thursday beer league guys played South Suburban on Tuesday. Hopefully we're going to start playing regularly next week.

Funny, as many times as I've played there, I can't pinpoint the 500ft branch on #3. It sounds like it should be really apparent. I'll probably play it next time, see it and call myself an idiot lol. The only branch I don't like is the one on #2 from the tee box. I have only hit it a couple times, but still think it's dumb. 

Edel E-1

1 hour ago, thaar said:

Funny, as many times as I've played there, I can't pinpoint the 500ft branch on #3. It sounds like it should be really apparent.

I mean, start hitting a sweet draw like I do, and then you'll see! 🤣

• Haha 2

Dang. Thorncreek was offering a free round of golf to the first 120 people that bought Titleist golf balls (buy 3 get 1 free deal) through them. Already sold out.

4 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Dang. Thorncreek was offering a free round of golf to the first 120 people that bought Titleist golf balls (buy 3 get 1 free deal) through them. Already sold out.

Walnut and Legacy have the same deal. It has noting to do with Titleist, but you get a free round for spending $150 on anything.

• Like 1

Our Thursday night beer league is starting up this week. This is a super chill 9-hole after work golf gang whose purpose is to take the long way from the parking lot to the bar. Our home base is South Suburban, but we do branch out and hit places like Meadows, Foothills, Lone Tree, Meadow Hills, Highlands Ranch--basically any place we can snag 2-3 tee times for the following week while drinking post-golf beers.

If you live on the south side of town, feel free to send me a PM to get added to the e-mail list.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 10:43 AM, Dancin said:

I edited my previous post, but to be thorough, Callaway eventually came through for me and sent me a free replacement Rogue ST Max LS driver for the cracked crown GBB Epic Subzero driver I had. Can't wait to get out and hit it.

I tried the std Paradym against my Rogue ST Max LS and it wasn't a clear bump in sound, feel, or performance IMO and I like the look of the Rogue a LOT better. I'd say you scored.

I got to see pictures of the Rodeo Dunes sight and some of the routing. Looks fantastic and some huge blowout dunes that reminded me of sandhills and prairie club dunes course. Should be awesome!

• Like 4

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

First round on a golf course since November 1 yesterday. I forgot my golf shoes, I was running late, I paid for my round over the phone, and I walked directly from my car to the first tee.

Long story short... I shot a 38 with 16 putts--including a 4-putt on #6. I drained two birdie putts from about 20 feet on #5 and #7; and I had some lengthy par saves. Iron striking was decent; I only had one really good drive (height and shot shape), although my drive on #5 did roll out 316yds; my wedge game (usually a strength even if with a long hiatus) needs work.

Anyways, my game can only go downhill from here this season.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 1:16 PM, thaar said:

Got out for the first time this year for 9 yesterday at South Suburban. For being the first time out, I didn't play too terribly - had some great shots with a sand save (that happens maybe once a year!), and had a few bad ones too. I did have a first though. Hole 5 might have the dumbest green in Colorado, IMO (some ppl argue 13 is - so we have two of the worst greens in CO lol). My approach shot was just short of the green. With the grass still being dormant and short, it made sense to putt it. Hit a good putt with good pace, but of course it broke right at the cup and rolled 20ft away below the hole. Next putt, I put past the hole by 2.5ft - I know better but I'm clearly out of practice. I naturally lipped out the next putt and ended back to where I was before 20ft away lol. I then hit a great putt that made it to the edge of the hole but of course, rolled back to my feet rather than sticking there. 2 more putts to hole out. Fantastic 5-putt (and one from just off of the green) 😂. F'n stupid green! 🤬

I've always heard the greens at South Suburban were knarly but I didn't realize they were "roll back to your feet" knarly. I'm usually more OK than most with crazy greens but that s*** would drive me crazy in any serious context.

• Like 2