2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

15 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Joel, were you scheduled to play Skins in Greeley this weekend? I didn’t remember if you normally played spring or fall or both. 

I usually just play the winter skins. I've been out of town for this weekend to visit my FIL for the last several years. You'll see a few of my good buddies up there playing in it! I decided to play the Twin Peaks Spring Invitational instead.

Amazing looking trip so far, @CDM!

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

21 hours ago, Dancin said:

Ha. You have to share details.

-Joined my tee time

-Asked if we were really playing the blacks. Then followed up with should you be playing back there

-Said I "had" to turn my music off

-Hit three balls off the first tee

-told me my driver was juiced which is so random

-told me if he had my distance he would've played professionally (he was 70 and probably a 15 handicap)

-told me I didn't need to take the pin out for my putt because he saw on golf channel that it's better in 

-HE PROCEEDED TO JINGLE CHANGE IN HIS POCKET THE ENTIRE TIME WE WERE ON EACH GREEN  until I called him out

-Hit and drove off in front of us

-was crabby after every shot

-bitched and moaned the entire day about how slow it was, bad the course was, etc

-finished and I said I'll see you around to which I said probably not

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

17 hours ago, golf4pj said:

I'm headed to Augusta next week!!  Scored tickets to Saturday's round!

I've been twice before, on practice days (a Monday (2016) and a Tuesday (2012)).  The great thing about practice rounds is they let you take a camera in and I have some great pics from those trips.  No cell phones allowed, but cameras on practice rounds only.

This will be the first time I'll be there during a competitive round and I'm really looking forward to it.

My buddy and I are flying into Atlanta, playing 2 rounds there, then driving down to Augusta on Friday morning for a round at Monticello Golf Club.  Saturday morning, bright and early, we'll be waiting at the gates with all the other patrons to walk the course where legends play!

I'm hoping to get in rounds this Friday, Saturday and Sunday to knock the rust off my game.  My last round was March 4th, unless you count a round on my simulator last Friday (which was full of a lot of pulled shots).  Playing Eisenhower Blue on Friday, South Suburban on Saturday and Eisenhower Silver on Sunday.

We're flying home early Sunday morning so we can be back in time to watch the final round on TV.

As Jim Nantz said - “A Tradition Unlike Any Other”

-- P.J.

100_0656.JPG

100_0657.JPG

I am headed to Augusta tomorrow, will play Aiken Golf Club Friday, and headed to Augusta National Women's Amateur Saturday. Excited to be on property!!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, TheKrushh said:

-Joined my tee time

-Asked if we were really playing the blacks. Then followed up with should you be playing back there

-told me if he had my distance he would've played professionally (he was 70 and probably a 15 handicap)

-told me I didn't need to take the pin out for my putt because he saw on golf channel that it's better in 

-HE PROCEEDED TO JINGLE CHANGE IN HIS POCKET THE ENTIRE TIME WE WERE ON EACH GREEN  until I called him out

-bitched and moaned the entire day about how slow it was, bad the course was, etc

wow. much worse than I would have imagined. Probably the guy who refuses to fix ball marks and divots at his own course because "we pay people to do that"

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CDM said:

17 hours of flying, 2 layovers (1.5 hrs each) and as always plane issue that had us sitting on SFO runway for an hour...!   BUT we made and all the gear.  

Round 1:  Paraparaumu Beach Golf Club.  Played the course with adminstration manager at the club so we had a great guide. Great person.  Key note: New Zealand golf they love to "extort" international players.  Like 2 or 3 teims the normal greens fee rate.  PBGC for international play cost $190 NZD playing with a "member" we pald $75 NZD.   So a nice savings.  *PBGC does allow public play you just have to email but it is mainly a member course

The course is an easy walk though if you see the aerial image you would not think it would be.

Plays to 71 and both sides play about the same. I would speculate the back 9 is a bit tougher.  Could of been the jet lag maybe???

We started on 10 as there was some hold up which left a number of  members standing around as they were behind based on a morning  maintenance.     ........plus I  did not want us to be that "group" who held up all those members

All of us started off great base, being pumped up. Then we  hit the "Jet Lag Wall" for 6-7 holse before getting it together.   

Par's on 10-11.... then I shot 8 over on the next 7 holes (just sad).  Found some energy for the front 9 and shot 36 (1 over). 80 that should have been much lower.

Is it worth playing?  Yes we all agreed on that.  It is an excellent course. If they wanted too it could be a very test tough.  Tiger played the NZ Open there once and barely made the cut as I recall.  If there was one knock the greens are very large and bit "bland" (8th hole was really small compared to others).  I should state putting surfaces were gentle breaks. 

A number of greens had this really cool aspect of what we called "infinity" edges.  It would be dead flat  and then have a small rollover o  the edge and 45 degrees down that would be 10' or more below the green.  It was cool up close.  just a hard angle break at the edge of the green.  

Edit: you can see we just beat the rain coming in

20230328_085904.jpg

20230328_114005.jpg

What's that green stuff growing in the fairways?!?

Great pics - thanks for sharing them!!

• Haha 1

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

4 hours ago, Hardrain said:

I am headed to Augusta tomorrow, will play Aiken Golf Club Friday, and headed to Augusta National Women's Amateur Saturday. Excited to be on property!!

Awesome!  Have a great time!  You'll be amazed at all the hills and elevation changes.  The TV just doesn't do it justice...

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

8 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

-Joined my tee time

I LOVE that he gave you s*** for the blacks and then hit 3 off his own tee.

This is world record bad. It's almost like this guy studied every way to piss off everyone he's around. He's got serious skill.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

-Joined my tee time

All timer here, thanks for sharing. The thing I can’t imagine is carrying change in my pocket. Did he pay for something with cash before the round?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ztull said:

All timer here, thanks for sharing. The thing I can’t imagine is carrying change in my pocket. Did he pay for something with cash before the round?

it had to have been 20-30 coins. Old pleated with khakis with the huge pockets. I still hear them ringing in my nightmares...

• Haha 2

On 3/29/2023 at 11:53 AM, Joelness said:

@CDM All those courses look amazing man! Kinloch looks absolutely PRIME and one I like the best from photos.

@Joelness  Kinloch was soo impressive but I have NEVER been to a place like that which shuts down bascially at 2pm...!???!!  *Maybe dodged a bullet as the wind was blowing 20+ when we showed up.   

We have talked to many local members and all say the same,  They dont care about the course it is the development side.  it is crazy as it seemed like they do not care or not if people play it.  

Edited by CDM

Round 3:  Royal Auckland and Grange Golf Club

Well today was interesting to say the least.  

First off we played with a fantastic member..!  I can not say anything that would state how good Phil was a host.    *We have been treated with some amazing hospitality at the clubs.   ** Also dont ever expect that out me  😂

Back story.  One of Phil's best mates is Ryan Fox who is currently 36 in the world rankings.   They play together all the time. Right away it was obvious...Phil was LONG off the tee.  Like 320+ constant at see level..!  AND accurate..!  Phil is leaving tomorrow with 7 friends to go to the Masters to see Ryan play.  Second, a perk of being close mates with Ryan is Phil had the sweetest Circle T putter I have seen, it was Ryan's and he did not get on with it so he just gave it to Phil........  HAHAHAHA  /rough

*Yes @Dancin  Paul was trying to figure out how to get it the whole round HAHAHA

The course.....how do I explain it....?  azz  kicking greens?   Green tees at RAGGC came in around 6700-6800 yards based on location.  

Tee to green pretty straight forward with some good design elements.....but those  greens...! Holy hell they were sooooo fast. I am not sure I have ever putted on greens that tight and fast...!  They stimped at 12-13..!  Sub Air greens system.  About  holes 6 or 7  and 3 jacking 3 or 4 already we all got scared, even Phil did.  He said he was not sure why they were so fast this weekend but damn was it FUN...!   I actually started to "pop" stroke as you could barelly touch the ball. 

Overall RAGGC is fantastic course / setup and if you are ever in the area play it and just practice putting prior to round.   Mill/Tamaki 9's. 

Scoring...89 which as bad as it sounds it was good...! Everyone in the bar/patio area was talking how bad they played and why it was soooo jacked up.  Sounded like no one in other groups did well.   No one in the group broke 80 .  Paul who @Dancin knows is a pretty solid 4 hdcp and he shot 84 as did  Phil   

I know I 3 jacked 9 or 10 greens and 4 putted 1...! Everyone 3 putted a number of times.  

That noted it was sooooo much fun...!!!  Score did not matter this round was all about the company and enjoyment of playing a great course with good people and all you could do is laugh some times...! 

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

Edited by CDM
  • Like 3

On 3/24/2023 at 7:28 AM, pseudoswede said:

Anyways, my game can only go downhill from here this season.

Sure enough, I followed my 38 last week with a smooth 47 last night. I just could not find the center of the club face; when I did, it was closed so I yanked those shots left. South Suburban's greens were even faster than last week, but at least I didn't 4-putt any of them. While it was certainly windy, it wasn't as terrible as it could've been.

14 hours ago, CDM said:

Round 3:  Royal Auckland and Grange Golf Club

Well today was interesting to say the least.  

First off we played with a fantastic member..!  I can not say anything that would state how good Phil was a host.    *We have been treated with some amazing hospitality at the clubs.   ** Also dont ever expect that out me  😂

Back story.  One of Phil's best mates is Ryan Fox who is currently 36 in the world rankings.   They play together all the time. Right away it was obvious...Phil was LONG off the tee.  Like 320+ constant at see level..!  AND accurate..!  Phil is leaving tomorrow with 7 friends to go to the Masters to see Ryan play.  Second, a perk of being close mates with Ryan is Phil had the sweetest Circle T putter I have seen, it was Ryan's and he did not get on with it so he just gave it to Phil........  HAHAHAHA  /rough

*Yes @Dancin  Paul was trying to figure out how to get it the whole round HAHAHA

The course.....how do I explain it....?  azz  kicking greens?   Green tees at RAGGC came in around 6700-6800 yards based on location.  

Tee to green pretty straight forward with some good design elements.....but those  greens...! Holy hell they were sooooo fast. I am not sure I have ever putted on greens that tight and fast...!  They stimped at 12-13..!  Sub Air greens system.  About  holes 6 or 7  and 3 jacking 3 or 4 already we all got scared, even Phil did.  He said he was not sure why they were so fast this weekend but damn was it FUN...!   I actually started to "pop" stroke as you could barelly touch the ball. 

Overall RAGGC is fantastic course / setup and if you are ever in the area play it and just practice putting prior to round.   Mill/Tamaki 9's. 

Scoring...89 which as bad as it sounds it was good...! Everyone in the bar/patio area was talking how bad they played and why it was soooo jacked up.  Sounded like no one in other groups did well.   No one in the group broke 80 .  Paul who @Dancin knows is a pretty solid 4 hdcp and he shot 84 as did  Phil   

I know I 3 jacked 9 or 10 greens and 4 putted 1...! Everyone 3 putted a number of times.  

That noted it was sooooo much fun...!!!  Score did not matter this round was all about the company and enjoyment of playing a great course with good people and all you could do is laugh some times...! 

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

Beatiful. I lived in Piha west of Aukland for about a year but never got to play while I was there. Some unbelievable looking tracks! Keep the updates coming!!

So at breakfast this morning we all keep laughing at how brutaly it was.   

We all repliayed each hole. 48 on the front with 29 putts...... 29 putts LOL  That is like a full round just on the front  hahahaha. 

Back was a 41 with 3 - 3 putts and a double as ball got stuck in a bush and took 2 to get out. 

Been flying and playing but will give more info later.  Quick notes....

TITIRANGI: 

Rain Rain Rain....!  We got soaked ...I mean like in a swiming pool with golf gearon wet LOL...but we played it out as did all the locals. Good course.  Reminds me of courses you see in San Fran. 

Did tweak my left wrist a bit hitting a tree root or something under the grass.  More a glancing blow so just sore.  But hey that is why they make Aleve 🤣

BARNBOUGLE DUNES:

YEP....amazing and fun...! Some of Doak's best work for sure.  Fantastic course...!  I dont say this  very much about Doak courses but Dunes is a blast to play.

We did get 3 holes of rain on back side but nothing heavy.  Sand crazy hard to play out of so was hard enough and then it got wet...!! Crazy crazy soft and had to pick it / thin it.  Wet made it stupid sticky from rain.   If your ball rolled it would get a ring 1/16" - 1/8" thick around it. Made it hard to get spin on the ball and cost me triple on a par 5... green side in 3...!  Would take practice to get used to it and you probably be hosed at other courses.  That different.

I will say if you play Dunes a few times I am sure you can score on it.  We had low wind to which helped.

Couple of "Barny Dunes" as locals call It.

20230403_084853.jpg

20230403_084212.jpg

20230403_083400.jpg

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

Jeebus those courses look amazing. Shame you had to miss out on seeing the Australian GP--will probably end up being the craziest race of the season.

I'm probably booking City Park next Monday for my birthday PTO, and I just noticed that Kennedy switched up the 18 to Babe Lind and West nines. Interesting.

image.png.a5bd67c21a907adb161b459918a9dd0f.png

Edited by pseudoswede

14 hours ago, CDM said:

We did get 3 holes of rain on back side but nothing heavy.  Sand crazy hard to play out of so was hard enough and then it got wet...!! Crazy crazy soft and had to pick it / thin it.  Wet made it stupid sticky from rain.   If your ball rolled it would get a ring 1/16" - 1/8" thick around it. Made it hard to get spin on the ball and cost me triple on a par 5... green side in 3...!  Would take practice to get used to it and you probably be hosed at other courses.  That different.

There's a place in northeast CO with similar soft sand. I'd be taking so much money off of Paul if I had gone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancin said:

There's a place in northeast CO with similar soft sand. I'd be taking so much money off of Paul if I had gone.

Hahahaha ..... 😆   Trust me it has come up a few times  

I beat him on front but he beat me on back and overall on Dunes course.

Lost Farm today them to Melbourne 

Edit: the sand at these two tracks  is WAY different.  It's almost like powder.

Edited by CDM

3 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Barnbougle looks filthy!

I loved the front and some loved the back.  I have say Doak killed it on the design.  It's not a long course but man it is fun.

Best thing heard on trip yet:  There are signs everywhere you go about walking into the grass/fescue areas because of all the snakes.

While checking in someone in front of us asked the pro shop manager if there are snakes on the course.... "No mate we got rid of all the snakes".....then looks to the other worker and has this sh*t eating grin/look and snickerd......  the look / snicker was priceless 🤣 

7 hours ago, Dancin said:

@CDM Most of the courses you are playing have ghin ratings, yet I don't see any scores posted... sandbagging before PD trip continues. Paul posted his scores. Where are yours?

You stalking me ?   A little creepy mate

Edit: Paul has been keeping all score and has the cards so have to them from him to input each hole as a had a couple triples with lost ball in fescue near greens.   Was not going in that grass. 😳 

Edited by CDM

LOST FARM:

Not a great round for any of us but was fun.

Edit: best round was Paul at 80 ...which he was P"d as he was one under for some time.   I shot 83 with 3 dbls. One thing for sure on these two courses.  if you miss in the wrong spots your score will jump real fast.

Not sure how to explain Lost Farm.  🤔     I guess the best way is we all would play Dunes 10 out of 10 times since price is the same. It is a beautiful course....do I think the ranking fits it,  no I do not.  Actually surprised by it's ranking having played it now.

There are some really really great holes but way to many bland holes.  It feels like a resort course if that makes sense.  Very tame and mild for the most part and then a few kick you hard holes.

Also there are 2 extra holes on the course. 2 par 3's you play during round for fun.  13A and 18A.  Kind of interesting.

.....trying not to bash it BUT my opinion might be because we played the Dunes yesterday and Dunes is that damn good..!!!

20230404_083313.jpg

20230404_084514.jpg

20230404_113556.jpg

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CDM said:

Not sure how to explain Lost Farm.  🤔     I guess the best way is we all would play Dunes 10 out of 10 times since price is the same. It is a beautiful course....do I think the ranking fits it,  no I do not.  Actually surprised by it's ranking having played it now.

There are some really really great holes but way to many bland holes.  It feels like a resort course if that makes sense.  Very tame and mild for the most part and then a few kick you hard holes.

The majority of Coore-Crenshaw courses tend to be that way for me. A few are great all the way through but a bunch of their courses have some real boring holes and in general seem more subued and don't have the fireworks that Doak's courses have. Are you hitting Ocean Dunes or Cape Wickham on King Island?

On 4/4/2023 at 4:05 PM, Joelness said:

What a trip! @CDM will have all the best golf stories after this. This has to be the best golf trip I've heard about

Thanks for bringing us with ya in a small way, it's pretty sweet!

One week down and there has been some crazy things so far...!   Hope sharing does not offend anyone....other then @Dancin😆

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1