2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

2023 wxrs drivers comparison thread

getitdaily

On 1/20/2023 at 7:45 PM, Jmccas said:

Good stuff. Same age, swing speed, low spin/launch  and LSU guy to boot (pun intended). 

You ever had much luck with draw biased heads? Currently in a Rogue ST Max D but want to test the TSR2. 

I have not, and given my miss is low left, it’s probably good I stay away from them. 

I was hoping the G430 Max would perform better for me. I was fit into the G425 Max 2 years ago by the same fitter and it wasn’t even close compared to the other drivers at that time. Ended up getting rid of it because I couldn’t stand the sound. Thought the G430 would be the unicorn, but it was not to be. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

PING G410 20.5° Tensei AV Blue 75X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Hybrid Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec

23 hours ago, scheff13 said:

Feel like I needed my own cart to get through that round

Same here. I thought this was a driver thread not a humble brag thread. 

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

On 1/17/2023 at 2:31 PM, Bdck said:

1st sober round with the stealth 2.  Very happy, but still figuring out the draw bias I'm seeing. 

I'm playing 1⁰ more loft in the 2 vs the og stealth.  It seems lower launching with similar spin, but much more stability.

Some highlights from the round - 8 birdies and an eagle, 4 bogeys.  Finished eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie.  Had about a one club wind all day.

Hole 1: shanked driver off a house back into play.  Par.

Hole 2: 404, pin high left.  Chip & putt birdie. Downwind off the right

Hole 3: 546, 110 left in.  2 putt birdie. Downwind off the right.

Hole 7: 396 Took a direct line at the green that's a 330 carry to the front that is a retee if you come up short.  Pitch mark back edge.  Hurting wind quartering left. Chip & putt birdie.

Several holes of despair later...

Hole 14: 517, right into the fan.  151 left, eagle.

Hole 15: 577 downwind off the right, 130 left but from the garbage on the right. Chip & putt birdie.

Hole 16: 332, wind helping off right.  5 wood pin high right.  Chip & putt birdie.

Hole 18: 477 straight downwind & downhill last 150 yards  drove the green.  2 putt birdie.

Flame away lol

jason bourne GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, endy said:

Kyle Berkshire is that you ?! Kidding aside, I would love to see a video of you hammering driver. You gotta be in the upper 130 lower 140 swing speed on course ?! 210-220 ball speeds ? 

just a regular guy on wrx

• Haha 3

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

5 minutes ago, Honeybadger said:

Said the Paradym is 9K MOI, which is less than the 425 Max at 10K MOI. Can anyone confirm this? 

Not sure what the exact moi onThe PD is, but that’s probably about right. Historicaly Ping drivers have always been the highest moi drivers on the market.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

19 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Not sure what the exact moi onThe PD is, but that’s probably about right. Historicaly Ping drivers have always been the highest moi drivers on the market.

I wonder if the 1000 MOI difference is made more negligible because of the potential ball speed increase with the Paradym? 

1 hour ago, Honeybadger said:

I wonder if the 1000 MOI difference is made more negligible because of the potential ball speed increase with the Paradym? 

Ah, that’s the age old debate. Which is better, 5 yards longer or 5yds straighter…..

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Ah, that’s the age old debate. Which is better, 5 yards longer or 5yds straighter…..

Straighter for me. Just wondering if the MOI is negligible, but the ball speed isn’t- the Paradym is close in MOI, is the Ping close in ball speed. 

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

u know everyone one here is picking 5 yards longer

excellent video very informative

• Haha 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 1/17/2023 at 3:31 PM, Bdck said:

1st sober round with the stealth 2.  Very happy, but still figuring out the draw bias I'm seeing. 

I'm playing 1⁰ more loft in the 2 vs the og stealth.  It seems lower launching with similar spin, but much more stability.

Some highlights from the round - 8 birdies and an eagle, 4 bogeys.  Finished eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie.  Had about a one club wind all day.

Hole 1: shanked driver off a house back into play.  Par.

Hole 2: 404, pin high left.  Chip & putt birdie. Downwind off the right

Hole 3: 546, 110 left in.  2 putt birdie. Downwind off the right.

Hole 7: 396 Took a direct line at the green that's a 330 carry to the front that is a retee if you come up short.  Pitch mark back edge.  Hurting wind quartering left. Chip & putt birdie.

Several holes of despair later...

Hole 14: 517, right into the fan.  151 left, eagle.

Hole 15: 577 downwind off the right, 130 left but from the garbage on the right. Chip & putt birdie.

Hole 16: 332, wind helping off right.  5 wood pin high right.  Chip & putt birdie.

Hole 18: 477 straight downwind & downhill last 150 yards  drove the green.  2 putt birdie.

Flame away lol

First sober round and a +5.1 index?  That you Pat Perez?  🤣

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

On 1/24/2023 at 7:58 PM, ob1soccer said:

just a regular guy on wrx

Oh your not some regular guy on wrx if you getting 8 birdies and and eagle. You should be ready for the tour as thats amazing as to how well you play

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

My kid tried has tried the Stealth2+, Paradym Triple Diamond, Aerojet/AerojetLS, Ping G430LS, Titelist TSR3 and TSR4

1A.   Aerojet won slightly over the Stealth 2+.  Numbers were almost Identical it just came down to feel.  He was right at 118 swing speed and 177 ball speed with both and average carry 302-304 with both.  Not much difference.  Spin in the Aerojet l/s was extremely low for him  Had to go to 10degrees loft to get it down.  Was in Ventus Black 6TX shaft.  This combo was extremely accurate.  The dispersion was extremely good.  He is currently gaming this.

1B.  Stealth2+  was really close with the Graphite Design Tour ADXC shaft 7X.  I personally thought he hit this driver a little better, but he liked the feel of the Cobra more.

3.  Titleist TSR3  numbers were close to the Cobra and Stealth.  He just didn't like the feel or the ball flight.

4.  TSR 4 felt OK.  Did not get to jump on a monitor.

5.  Ping G430LS lowest swing and ball speed from all of them.  Consistently 116 SS and 172 ball speed.  Consistent 295 carry.  Really accurate, but so was the Cobra, TM, and Titleist.

6.  Paradym Triple Diamond.  He had this for about a week and was just OK for him.  I am sure it is a great driver, but not for him.  It may have been the shaft that was in it, but he did not like feel or look at all.  Did not get to hop on a monitor with this.  He was able to use at the range like I said for a week and played with it at multiple courses.  Seemed to be a bit spinny and shorter than the rest.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

TSR3 is in and cannot wait to break it in this weekend!A948D630-341B-42F2-A257-D059B5AF1627.jpeg.5531aab9dbd411bdc4d5e49dacf4be77.jpeg

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 9*, Hzrdus Smoke Green Hulk PVD 70 TX

TaylorMade Mini BRNR 11.5*, Hzrdus Smoke Green Hulk PVD 90 TX
Titleist TSR3 13.5*, Ventus Blue TR 80 X

TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue 2HY, Ventus Blue 90HY X
Srixon ZX Utility 20*, Ventus Black 100TX

Srixon ZX7 5-PW, LAGP L-Series 05
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 3 50, 55 & 60 LAGP L-Series 05

LAB Link.1, LAGP P-Series 135
Titleist -ProV1X

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2023 at 11:10 AM, hokiealumn said:

I was very fortunate to be used a tester of sorts with my local fitter for all of the new 2023 Equipment. I hit A LOT of balls and heres my quick summary of all of them:

• Callaway - Paradym TD and the whole Paradym line is going to be a problem for other manufactures this year. Its a big improvement over Rogue and Rogue netted me a 11 yd carry improvement over my SIM2.
  • Ping G430LST - Its loud AF still for a 118SS. I hit 5 balls with it and moved on, couldn't get over the sound
  • Cobra - Aerojet LS 9* head turned to its lowest setting sat super open and looks like it had 12* of loft at address. LTDX do not do this. I couldn't keep anything remotely playable with it in the grid.
  • Taylormade - Stealth2+ - Decent numbers but I honestly preferred the look and sound of OG Stealth to Stealth2.
  • Titleist - TSR 3/4 is where I spent most of my time as well as the Paradym. Ball speeds were fairly equal and spin was lower with the TSR4. Sound was great and TSR3 is way more forgivable than my current gamer (Rogue TDLS 9*)
  • **Fitting Summary - Ultimately it came down to the Paradym and TSR3. Paradym was 8*, STD loft setting & Neutral. TSR3 9* was C1 and back weight at T1. First hit both with Ventus TR Black 6x and they were neck and neck but forgiveness nod was given to TSR3 as miss hits were not as punishing.

My fitter then put the Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5 TX in each and things were night and day. Ball speed up, launch down, carry increased and spin maintained 2200ish in the TSR. Paradym remained mostly unchanged from the Ventus. Longest of the day was 118SS, 1.5 efficiency, 177 BS, 318yd carry with 343yd overall.

TSR3 9* with Hzrdus Smoke Green was the winner for me. Happy to have the TSR on order. If you are chasing max distance, Paradym may fit you well and Callaway will do very, very well with it this year.

IMG_0321.jpeg

I’d definitely agree with this assessment. I’m slower than you (160 ball speed) and found that TSR3 and Paradym TD were close on optimal strikes with a nod to the Callaway, but the TSR3 could be mishit and produce better results.  I think acoustics on TSR3 were better for my ear and is better looking at address.  

• Like 1

Driver:  Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond S 8.1* - Ventus Black 6x

3W:  Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond T 14.1* - Kai'li Blue 70TX

5W:  TaylorMade SIM2 19* - Ventus Blue 7X

Irons (4-PW):  Callaway Apex TCB Raw - Oban CT-125 X-

Wedges:  Vokey 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.04A - Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X7 - BGT Stability Black

I tried 430 Max/LST and TSR2/3 in the store and LST won for accuracy and consistency so I purchased it; but I had to return it because my LTDx LS destroyed it on the range and I couldn't trust it on the course.

Clubs: King Cobra 454 Comp 9* / Cobra LTDx Max 3 Wood / Srixon ZX4 Irons 4-P / Titleist Wedges - S Grind / SeeMore M7x   Note: Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

I just went through my driver fitting, I did go two seperate days, as I wanted to test everything. 

I tried the Mizuno's, Ping's, Titleist's, Callaway's, TM's and Srixon's.

ME - I live on the high side of spin.  I HATE low super low spin drivers.  For me my bad shots with them are not in the rough or edge of trees they are out of bounds or in the water or in some other jail like situation. I have played TM, Callaway, or Ping driver all of my adult life in the driver spot.  I have tried the others they just never fit.  My SS during the test was 112-118

How I went about and things I saw in my testing. I know my swing, I know what shafts I hit well and I know the length and weight that works best for me, so I tried all drivers with my favorite shaft and as close to my preferred length as possible.  I hit 4 test balls in this setup, ruling out garbage swings, if three of the four weren't what I wanted (24-2600 spin, with a straight to fade pattern) I moved on quickly.  I wish my fitter had more weights for the drivers, but the lead tape worked well enough.  I threw out absolutely horrid swings in my numbers but kept tabs on how many with each.  I am not going on tour, I do not need the longest driver, I tried to apply a strokes gained vs a scratch golfer for my comparisons once narrowed down to my final four I hit the driver on "holes" that were straight and dogleg right and slightly left.  I also want enough height on launch to get over some obstacles to fit my driver on lefts where it may not really want to go. I do NOT work a draw with my driver, required draw holes get the Mini or hybrid or 4 iron, try for a par and move on to holes I can attack.

For the final two I also tested a low teed fairway finding cut along with the above.

1. Paradym Triple, 430 LST, Stealth s Plus, ZX7, TS4 - Out after quickly seeing the bad ones were too bad.  Some worse than others, but all the bad ones were really bad.  The triple Diamond and the 430 LST produced the longest tee shots of the test.

2.  ZX5, ST-X, Paradym X, Stealth HD - all out with either too much spin or too much left bias.

3. Close but no cigar - Stealth 2, G430 Max, TSR2 - all produced too much spin.

4. Really Good - ST-Z230 & ZX5 LS.  

5. Finalists Paradym, TSR3

STZ-230 - Produced too much spin on BAD strikes.  I like slightly off center to be good, but the farther away I like to be lower as those tend to be the most offline and where I lose strokes.

ZX5 LS - Surprise of the bunch for me.  Last years drivers weren't bad, just none of them were very good for me either.  Same with speed on really bad strikes.

Paradym - Really it was a tie between it and the TSR3 (I think the sessions were with 50 RPM of spin and both with only one slightly left miss, and the dispersion area was won by the TSR 3 with 5 less yards offline).  Strokes gained with the TSR3 was almost a quarter of a shot better than the Paradym.

I actually fit in the 1k Black pretty well after all was said and done in the TSR3.  The Aldila Rogue 130 MSI TX is my prefered shaft and has been for a couple of years now and it was a smidge better, but I already have two of those at home.

I have other notes and more detail I can put in but was trying to keep this post to where it isn't unreadable, or wouldn't be read.  If you have questions about my game, SS, or more details on individual clubs let me know and I will try an answer.  

I do know this will come up, yes this was done at a club champion for the first day to get to our final three or four drivers.  The second day was not, but with friend with a GC4 with each of the drivers at his house, there were also other people that tested similarly than I did and finished on the GC4 the second day and in the end (with 5 testers each buying a driver).  Yes we all bought drivers, then ones that were not right went back on playability and correct ones were bought.  Yes I have a pile of shafts all with sure-fit hosels and the adapters for each and every manufacturer, yes many of the guys are also using all-fit now so we could do this.   Yes changing out screws is a PITA.  Yes a couple of shafts were purchased by guys that didn't fit in something I had or they already had, and yes all-fit on all of them.  It was a PITA to get setup with every person needing to be fit on a thursday or friday and doing the final on saturday a week later(shafts had to show up).  In the five players two ended up with TSR3's, one in a TSR2, one in a Paradym, and in a 430 LST.  

Was this super testing like a tour player gets or something like Howard used to do, or something a great fitter could do, no it wasn't. Was it better than some crap they throw at you at the lesser fitters?  Absolutely, the lynch pins are all-fit adapters, someone with a GC4 or trackman, and enough guys wanting to make it work.   Using a trackman and then a GC4 wasn't maybe the best, but the only person with a good LM has a GC4 so that's what we had to use.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Srixon ZX4 - Ventus Axiom 105 X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 5 months later...
49 minutes ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

What are folks' thoughts on TSR3 vs. Paradym TD? I was fit into Paradym TD but they only had a TSR4 to test. Everywhere I turn it seems like people are raving about the TSR3.

You really can't go wrong with either. You may find 3d a touch faster overall and slightly lower spinning overall. But the tsr3 is no slouch and may be slightly better on off-center strikes. 3d is a much better driver with the heavy weight back.