2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New Edel SMS Pro Irons

golfinbrad

54 minutes ago, J13 said:

Most people don't even know what MOI matching is so we haven't done testing with a set built that way although I would LOVE to hear your thoughts.

Torque wrench - you are fine hand tightening but if you want a torque wrench use a 20 ft lbs.

I’m curious as well. Doesn’t seem like enough weight to actually change CG. I’m going to do a blind weight test (

have my builder just out the heavy weight in random spots and not look at it) and just hit some with a long, short, medium iron and see if anything really changes. I am trying to eliminate confirmation bias as much as possible 

On 8/3/2023 at 11:56 AM, bscramer11 said:

I’m curious as well. Doesn’t seem like enough weight to actually change CG. I’m going to do a blind weight test (

have my builder just out the heavy weight in random spots and not look at it) and just hit some with a long, short, medium iron and see if anything really changes. I am trying to eliminate confirmation bias as much as possible 

CG doesn't change much by moving the weights, not their intention.  The weights main purpose is how they change closure rates.  It's interesting when fitting players and hearing how they perceive the changes aside from numbers changing.  

Edited by J13

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

On 8/3/2023 at 2:09 PM, J13 said:

CG doesn't change much by moving the weights, not their intention.  The weights main purpose is how they change closure rats.  It's interesting when fitting players and hearing how they perceive the changes aside from numbers changing.  

Question - I have the SMS Pros and recently went to the 8-2-8 set up.  I like the increased swingweight and overall stability but want to go even heavier as I have been doing testing over the past few months and determined I really benefit from much higher than standard swingweights.  Wondering whether I should add 10 gram weights or consider tip weights or an alternative to adding swingweight to my clubs?  Was thinking something like 10-6-10  or even 8-10-8 but do not want to impact the overall performance of the irons.  For reference I am playing steelfiber 95s 1/2" over length.  Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, HateTheHighDraw said:

Question - I have the SMS Pros and recently went to the 8-2-8 set up.  I like the increased swingweight and overall stability but want to go even heavier as I have been doing testing over the past few months and determined I really benefit from much higher than standard swingweights.  Wondering whether I should add 10 gram weights or consider tip weights or an alternative to adding swingweight to my clubs?  Was thinking something like 10-6-10  or even 8-10-8 but do not want to impact the overall performance of the irons.  For reference I am playing steelfiber 95s 1/2" over length.  Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

18 grams to 26 grams is a big jump.  Have to be care as you add more and more weight, not only does it increase swing weight and change feel, it also can get to the point when it impacts the performance of the shaft.  I recommend trying lead tape on one iron to see what happens before investing more weights.  I would also check the swing weight on a non-SMS iron you play well with and compare to the 8-2-8 setup and then your additional weight.  Good luck

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

18 grams to 26 grams is a big jump.  Have to be care as you add more and more weight, not only does it increase swing weight and change feel, it also can get to the point when it impacts the performance of the shaft.  I recommend trying lead tape on one iron to see what happens before investing more weights.  I would also check the swing weight on a non-SMS iron you play well with and compare to the 8-2-8 setup and then your additional weight.  Good luck

Thanks yeah I have four 2g strips of tape on the back right now, so effectively adding that 8 grams already and the performance is where I want it. So the idea of 10-6-10 is to avoid the lead tape.

16 minutes ago, HateTheHighDraw said:

Thanks yeah I have four 2g strips of tape on the back right now, so effectively adding that 8 grams already and the performance is where I want it. So the idea of 10-6-10 is to avoid the lead tape.

Understand.  I would rather see the weights than lead tape as well.  However, trying with lead tape is quicker and cheaper than ordering more weights. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

Understand.  I would rather see the weights than lead tape as well.  However, trying with lead tape is quicker and cheaper than ordering more weights. 

So my point is i already know how much weight I want/need to add, I am just wondering if adding that weight via larger SMS weights is appropriate to keep the head performing as it should, or if I should do tip weights or something else. 

4 hours ago, HateTheHighDraw said:

So my point is i already know how much weight I want/need to add, I am just wondering if adding that weight via larger SMS weights is appropriate to keep the head performing as it should, or if I should do tip weights or something else. 

I think if the lead tape is over where the weights are now then going heavier weights is definitely the play, tip weighting might throw off the feel a little bit 

On 8/8/2023 at 10:38 AM, HateTheHighDraw said:

If that's the case then go with 10-6-10.  Definitely no need for lead tapes or tip weights.  If you find you hit more shots toward the heel side of the center you could also go 10-8-8 to keep a little more mass behind impact.  2g won't affect bias much.

Edel PROTO

On 8/10/2023 at 7:44 PM, bscramer11 said:

Does heel weight promote a flatter or steeper swing? 

Typically in testing a heel weight position promotes a steeper AOA.  It doesn't mean it's that way for everyone but the slight majority.  Typically the more you push weight towards the toe of a golf club it creates more lay down force.

Edel PROTO

21 hours ago, pdxhak said:

@J13 - I noticed on the site 6g and 8g weights are on back order. Any idea when they will be restocked?

Not sure where you saw that but should be in stock.

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

4 minutes ago, J13 said:

Not sure where you saw that but should be in stock.

I saw it on the site yesterday. I checked again this morning and it did not show they were out of stock. I confirmed with support this morning the weights are in stock and then placed my order.  Appreciate the follow up.

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

4 hours ago, pdxhak said:

I saw it on the site yesterday. I checked again this morning and it did not show they were out of stock. I confirmed with support this morning the weights are in stock and then placed my order.  Appreciate the follow up.

Glad you got taken care of.  

Edel PROTO

Finally got ahold of my 3-PW plus 52 and 60 wedges, all with SF i110cw Stiff, along with an 8 pack of all weights.  Last night I quickly did a measure for length and adjusted swing-weights for a ball-park MOI setup.  I only put 7-LW into play today, and used my 5-6 from my Wilson D9F set.  I don’t game 3-4i.  When I found the centre they felt really good !  I hit a few thin ones ( irons and wedges ) and they felt really harsh -  anyone else experience that on thin shots ?

These had Standard size MCC grips and my next step is to do a loft and lie check, remove the grips and make the lengths exact, regrip with my preferred CP2 Wrap Midsize, and look again at the swing weights, maybe even add lead tape to get my MOI swing-weights exact.  I’m going to stick with 1/2” length increments for a few rounds, then go to 3/8” increments and roll with that for while.  I plan to keep these over the winter season as I hope to have a SIM at home ( GC3 based ) to help really dial these in.  👍

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

I did a loft and lie reset tonight and my god these are so soft to bend, I’d say among the softest I’ve had ( includes MP-4, MP-5, Tour Stage 705M, Srixon Forged blades, and others ). 🥰

5 minutes ago, ARL67 said:

I did a loft and lie reset tonight and my god these are so soft to bend, I’d say among the softest I’ve had ( includes MP-4, MP-5, Tour Stage 705M, Srixon Forged blades, and others ). 🥰

They are premium forging.  I wasn't kidding when I said you can hit the sms pro's next to Miura and you won't know the difference.  

Edel PROTO

Today's task was get the lengths precisely to stock length as a few were too long, though I left 9-PW a smidge long.  I went with a 60* ruler for all clubs, vs my usual by each head's actual lie angle.  My lengths are ungripped, so my 7i is 37.0 without a grip.

Having gamed Wilson D9 Forged and Titleist T200 previously, the longer SMS Pro irons and their narrow soles do look a bit intimidating.   But I'm only gaming 6-PW for now, so not a big a deal. 

I built to a bit heavier swing-weight vs my normal SW in an MOI setup ( 1.333 SWP per inch ).   I have all available weights ( 2,4,6,8,10 ) but did use some lead tape to fine-tune -> merely stuffed the lead tape it into the heel hole and then screwed in the weight.

37.50    6i       4    10    4   ( heel, mid, toe )  E0.8  ( ungripped )
37.00    7i       6    10    6    E1.5
36.50    8i      6    10    6    E2.2
36.125   9i      8    10    6    E2.7
35.750  PW   10   10    8    E3.2

I didn't build the 5i as it is just too long for my liking with 1/2" increments.  If I go to 3/8" increments ( starting at PW ) I'll introduce it then as the 5i would be 37.625" ungripped.

Using the 8i above as an example, I have 22g of weight.  Once I get my golf Sim setup,  it will be interesting to see what I experience by going to say 8-6-8 or 10-2-10 or 6-6-10 or 10-10-2 , etc.  Fun times !

Also, when one thinks of how pricey say new Titleist, Ping, etc, irons are, these at $250 per club are not much of a premium.  And you get shafts like Steelfibers at no upcharge.

Here's a pic of the head without weights -> lots of room under there to add up to 2g of lead tape if one is in-between stock weights.

IMG_5622.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 2

Very nice build.  The tri sole actually makes it easier to hit not harder.  The leading edge grind helps prevent digging and the trail edge relief gives it the versatility of a blade.  They are more forgiving then they appear, and SOFT as butter.  Enjoy

Edel PROTO

6 hours ago, ARL67 said:

Today's task was get the lengths precisely to stock length as a few were too long, though I left 9-PW a smidge long.  I went with a 60* ruler for all clubs, vs my usual by each head's actual lie angle.  My lengths are ungripped, so my 7i is 37.0 without a grip.

Having gamed Wilson D9 Forged and Titleist T200 previously, the longer SMS Pro irons and their narrow soles do look a bit intimidating.   But I'm only gaming 6-PW for now, so not a big a deal. 

I built to a bit heavier swing-weight vs my normal SW in an MOI setup ( 1.333 SWP per inch ).   I have all available weights ( 2,4,6,8,10 ) but did use some lead tape to fine-tune -> merely stuffed the lead tape it into the heel hole and then screwed in the weight.

37.50    6i       4    10    4   ( heel, mid, toe )  E0.8  ( ungripped )
37.00    7i       6    10    6    E1.5
36.50    8i      6    10    6    E2.2
36.125   9i      8    10    6    E2.7
35.750  PW   10   10    8    E3.2

I didn't build the 5i as it is just too long for my liking with 1/2" increments.  If I go to 3/8" increments ( starting at PW ) I'll introduce it then as the 5i would be 37.625" ungripped.

Using the 8i above as an example, I have 22g of weight.  Once I get my golf Sim setup,  it will be interesting to see what I experience by going to say 8-6-8 or 10-2-10 or 6-6-10 or 10-10-2 , etc.  Fun times !

Also, when one thinks of how pricey say new Titleist, Ping, etc, irons are, these at $250 per club are not much of a premium.  And you get shafts like Steelfibers at no upcharge.

Here's a pic of the head without weights -> lots of room under there to add up to 2g of lead tape if one is in-between stock weights.

IMG_5622.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

Very cool set. I dig it.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 8/17/2023 at 7:23 PM, J13 said:

Very nice build.  The tri sole actually makes it easier to hit not harder.  The leading edge grind helps prevent digging and the trail edge relief gives it the versatility of a blade.  They are more forgiving then they appear, and SOFT as butter.  Enjoy

Agree with all of this. They are the total package!

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the inside of the screw holes are plated/coated to prevent rusting ?

I've had a couple weights get loose on my last outing, so I think I will try some Teflon tape wrapped on the treads to make it snugger.  I don't want to over-tighten them and deform the hex head.  As the weights aren't exactly air-tight, hence my question above about the screw holes potentially rusting ( or not ).

I have a few rounds under my belt and like them more and more.  I just shortened them into a 3/8" MOI  build, centred around a 36.0" ungripped 8i. I also have my 9-PW-GW-LW single-length at 36.125" ungripped, having to add some short extensions in GW & LW.  For the GW I have 2-2-2 weights and the LW 0-0-0 weights, and they SW perfectly to my target.  As I try to be near-perfect in my builds, I added lead tape inside some holes to hit my exact SW numbers.

I'm going to role with the Edels for the rest of the season ( retire my MOI Wilson D9 Forged ) and plan to for the Edels all next season too.  Though it is tempting to order some new Titleist's ( T150/T200 combo ) or the upcoming Mizunos 24x series -> must resist ! The SMS's weighting system makes them sooo easy to experiment with playing lengths and SW changes, and I haven't event yet experimented with the benefits of weight placement.

👍👍👍

Edited by ARL67

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm preaching to the converted, but today ( round 5 with these ) was my best ball striking in a couple years.  I said several times to my playing partner "Man I absolutely flushed that !".  I even am much better with my 5i too.  The small soles are zero issue whatsoever, and get through the turf very nicely. 

I've been a long-time SF i95cw guy, the 95's over the 110's because the 95 swing-weight about 3 points heavier, which helps in my very short increment builds.  Though I believe I am better suited to the heavier i110cw, and have those in bag #2 ( weekends ) with Tour Stage 705M.   Today was also my first outing with the SMS Pro with CP2 Wrap Jumbo instead of the Mid-Size.   I like the heavier weight.

I'm so enamored with these that I might be on the lookout for a "cheap" set of SMS ( non-pro ) for the weekend bag. Good Times !  👍

Edited by ARL67

On 8/31/2023 at 3:27 PM, ARL67 said:

I know I'm preaching to the converted, but today ( round 5 with these ) was my best ball striking in a couple years.  I said several times to my playing partner "Man I absolutely flushed that !".  I even am much better with my 5i too.  The small soles are zero issue whatsoever, and get through the turf very nicely. 

I've been a long-time SF i95cw guy, the 95's over the 110's because the 95 swing-weight about 3 points heavier, which helps in my very short increment builds.  Though I believe I am better suited to the heavier i110cw, and have those in bag #2 ( weekends ) with Tour Stage 705M.   Today was also my first outing with the SMS Pro with CP2 Wrap Jumbo instead of the Mid-Size.   I like the heavier weight.

I'm so enamored with these that I might be on the lookout for a "cheap" set of SMS ( non-pro ) for the weekend bag. Good Times !  👍

Glad you are enjoying the irons and we literally get emails daily from players saying the same thing.  So far in my fits I've been able to beat every players irons in the bag aside from 1 person.  

As for the weights and if they will rust inside the port.  So inside the weight port has a nickel coating to prevent that BUT when you are plating a grooved surface it can be tough to get 100% of the surface area.  Plus steel will ultimately rust whether an iron or putter.   As for weights if you are good with placement I would use a smidge of loctite.  If you want to remove the weight just add a little heat with a hair dryer and they will pop right out.  But to be honest we don't have many issues with weight getting loose unless they weren't tightened completely when installed. 

Hit em well!

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

@J13  Question:  if I did an identical build of SMS and SMS Pro, what would I see in flight characteristics or spin between the two ? thanks

I also wonder if the 3 screw holes help break up resonances and contribute to making them soft.  Along with the irons, I have never felt a softer wedge.  I run my LW nude ( no weights, 36.125" ungripped ) and it is butter on full shots, along with my GW.  And as I mentioned earlier, on my Loft/Lie machine they are sooo easy to bend.

Edited by ARL67

On 9/6/2023 at 7:49 AM, ARL67 said:

@J13  Question:  if I did an identical build of SMS and SMS Pro, what would I see in flight characteristics or spin between the two ? thanks

I also wonder if the 3 screw holes help break up resonances and contribute to making them soft.  Along with the irons, I have never felt a softer wedge.  I run my LW nude ( no weights, 36.125" ungripped ) and it is butter on full shots, along with my GW.  And as I mentioned earlier, on my Loft/Lie machine they are sooo easy to bend.

SMS and SMS Pro are the same loft but SMS is designed to have a higher trajectory and slightly more spin.  Maybe 200-300rpms give or take some.

They are premium irons my friend.  As soft or softer than most golf clubs on this planet.  Bending either set is easy as pie and as a builder I appreciate that.

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

Great timing on your reply. 👍

An hour ago I snagged mint SMS 5-PW ( with extra weights ) on eBay for a good price, to go along with my SMS Pro set.  One set will be the main gamers, the other the weekend bag.  Now I can stop following the Titleist and Mizuno threads, cuz I ain't gonna buy me mo' irons !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 6:49 AM, ARL67 said:

I was wondering about this very thing. My SMS Pro’s are on order. Can’t wait to get them. When I was looking at the weights, I was thinking the same thing, but didn’t know if removing the weights would have a negative impact on the performance. Good to know.