New Edel SMS Pro Irons

golfinbrad

8 hours ago, getair23 said:

I’m a little steep with irons, which is why I gravitate towards Srixon. How does the Tri-Sole interact with the ground/turf compared to the Srixon V-sole?

The Tri Sole is very versatile unless you are super steep.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

On 3/26/2023 at 11:13 PM, Clemente80 said:

How steep is super steep? And what happens when you get that steep using the SMS Pro?

If you are taking a beaver pelt these probably aren't for you.  SMS have more bounce and sole width.  

Edel PROTO

New reviews hitting youtube.  

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

On 3/25/2023 at 11:39 AM, MMB1500 said:

Over the next few years I imagine we're going to see a lot of the big OEMs copying the concept of moveable weights in the cavity. 

Would love for maltby to also make a similar product. They have made a slight move that way with the weight in the toe that is adjustable in the KE4 Max and their Max milled wedges. In any event, I vocally support any company that is actually pushing true innovation in the game and that allows the player to change the club to adapt to their changing swing/impact conditions. 

• Like 3

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I really need to hit these.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 3/31/2023 at 4:53 PM, vandyfan said:

Would love for maltby to also make a similar product. They have made a slight move that way with the weight in the toe that is adjustable in the KE4 Max and their Max milled wedges. In any event, I vocally support any company that is actually pushing true innovation in the game and that allows the player to change the club to adapt to their changing swing/impact conditions. 

Thank you.  It's hard to compete in the marketing department with the giants in the industry but one of the big advantages we have is we don't answer to share holders or investment groups.  That gives us the freedom to design for the player and only release a product when it's ready and actually better than what we previously released.  

I keep telling people the SMS and SMS Pro's are the best irons Ive ever owned.  Thing Miura soft with real tech.  That's what they are.

• Like 3

Edel PROTO

8 minutes ago, PT1911 said:

@J13 Why no X flex option in graphite?

We do but not on the website (UST, Paderson, steelfiber (S is like an X).  We are also trying to add more graphite options in the future based on player demand.  I'm a huge fan of graphite iron shafts so I'm excited to add more.  We can also order Project X Catalyst if needed.   We are trying to get samples of the Fuji Axiom when it comes in but Fuji hasn't gotten them yet.  In the meantime if you have questions don't hesitate to call to make in inquiry.  

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

16 minutes ago, J13 said:

We do but not on the website (UST, Paderson, steelfiber (S is like an X).  We are also trying to add more graphite options in the future based on player demand.  I'm a huge fan of graphite iron shafts so I'm excited to add more.  We can also order Project X Catalyst if needed.   We are trying to get samples of the Fuji Axiom when it comes in but Fuji hasn't gotten them yet.  In the meantime if you have questions don't hesitate to call to make in inquiry.  

Awesome, thank you very much! I’ll be inquiring soon.

PXG Black Ops Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

I currently play Ping Blueprints, which are on the small side but I don't mind the size. After a season of playing and lots of range work, I've really started to notice that my ball strike pattern deviates towards the toe of the iron, only by a small amount but still. After watching a few review videos on these Edel SMS Pro Forged irons, I've really taken in the idea that by moving the heavy weight to the toe position, this could potentially:

1. Make the feeling of the strike much more solid and satisfying.

2. Unlock potential ball speed by now hitting the more toe biased COG, and therefore slightly longer but more importantly, consistent numbers 

All of the above would also in turn give you more confidence standing above a shot, which can't be measured but arguably is the most important.

I'm considering the Edels over the Blueprints because the size is pretty much similar, but it has a better sole and possibly a little more forgiveness. 

Can anyone who has hit the Edel SMS Pro Forged irons shed any light on my points, whether you agree or not.

Thx

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST Dr. 9* - VA Nemesys 65X

Ping G430 LST Fwy. 15* - VA Nemesys 75X

Ping G430 Hyb. 19* - VA Nemesys 95X

Ping iCrossover 4 Util. 22.5* - Axiom 105X

Ping Blueprint S Irons 5-PW - Modus 120X

Ping S159 50S (Nippon 120X), 56H, 60T (both Nippon 125 Wedge)

L.A.B Golf DF3 Custom 

Vessel Player 4 Pro DXR 

On 4/3/2023 at 11:57 AM, PT1911 said:

Awesome, thank you very much! I’ll be inquiring soon.

I can tell you Padersons are very unique in how they are designed with the “preloaded” fibers and they play stiff. A stiff in those is going to feel like an X. I love the shafts, very crisp through impact and no ballooning. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine (5-PW and 50* C Grind). I ordered after being able to hit a 7 iron a few times at the local Golf Tech, but was not fitted into them.

First, I am enjoying the very soft feel of these.  The heavy weight position makes a big difference.  Yesterday, tested on a Foresight which showed more ball speed with 8g toe weight on all clubs (which is different than what I thought it would be).  The 8G toe weight gave me 2 MPH higher ball speed from the center 8g position and even more than the heel 8g position.  Frankly, the difference in the PW was remarkable -- about 10 yards of flight difference between toe and center for the 8g weight.  Going into it, I thought that I would go heavier toe weight in 5 and 6, heavier center weight in 7-8-9 and heavier heel weight in the PW and 50* based on my ball striking patterns.  That is not what the tech numbers showed.  The toe weight definitely makes my "push-draw" swing draw the ball a little less -- so I will have to get use to a different aim point than normal.

Love the turf interaction.  First 2 rounds last weekend were about getting acquainted with the irons.  I did not get the tech fitting for the weights until yesterday.  Anxious to see the improved setup on the course, but digging the experiment. 

Great looking and great feeling iron.  Going to try to move the ball right and left this weekend, so I will give a "workability" update from the weekend's rounds, as well as how the weight position impacts play. 

So far, not disappointed.

Edited by bsb70x7
  • Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 8:11 AM, bd59 said:

Anyone have any reviews yet on these? I’m on the fence on some new irons and these have my interest. Only problem is I hate dropping that much coin on a set I can’t hit or see first. What’s the time frame on getting your set for the ones that have ordered?

Got mine in 2 weeks.  Picked a shaft they had on their website.  They said add 10 days if you pick a shaft not listed there, but they said they could get just about any shaft.   

Can someone hate these so that they show up on BST. K thanks

• Haha 1

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 - Ventus TR Blue 6x
3 Wood - Stealth 2+ - Ventus TR Red 7x
5 wood - Paradym TD - Kai'li 80x
hyrid - 22* Ping G425 - Ventus Blue 10x
4i - PW - PX 0317 ST - KBS 130x
50-54-58 - Edel SMS Pro Wedges - S400 TI
LAB Mezz Armlock - LAGP

5 hours ago, bsb70x7 said:

Just got mine (5-PW and 50* C Grind). I ordered after being able to hit a 7 iron a few times at the local Golf Tech, but was not fitted into them.

First, I am enjoying the very soft feel of these.  The heavy weight position makes a big difference.  Yesterday, tested on a Foresight which showed more ball speed with 8g toe weight on all clubs (which is different than what I thought it would be).  The 8G toe weight gave me 2 MPH higher ball speed from the center 8g position and even more than the heel 8g position.  Frankly, the difference in the PW was remarkable -- about 10 yards of flight difference between toe and center for the 8g weight.  Going into it, I thought that I would go heavier toe weight in 5 and 6, heavier center weight in 7-8-9 and heavier heel weight in the PW and 50* based on my ball striking patterns.  That is not what the tech numbers showed.  The toe weight definitely makes my "push-draw" swing draw the ball a little less -- so I will have to get use to a different aim point than normal.

Love the turf interaction.  First 2 rounds last weekend were about getting acquainted with the irons.  I did not get the tech fitting for the weights until yesterday.  Anxious to see the improved setup on the course, but digging the experiment. 

Great looking and great feeling iron.  Going to try to move the ball right and left this weekend, so I will give a "workability" update from the weekend's rounds, as well as how the weight position impacts play. 

So far, not disappointed.

What differences did you see in dispersion, if any, after settling on the weight placements? 

On 4/14/2023 at 5:18 PM, MMB1500 said:

What differences did you see in dispersion, if any, after settling on the weight placements? 

Pretty windy in Kansas over the weekend, so not a good experiment weekend.  I will continue to test and let you know.  They definitely do not draw like my gamers, so my guess is once I figure my new aim point, the dispersion will be tighter

Going into a big tournament on May 1 and 2.  Going back to my gamers until the tourney is over, then will pull these out and give updates. 

Note, I went with a different shaft for first time in 6 years.  The transition to the new shaft is not going as smoothly as anticipated.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 10:34 PM, MMB1500 said:

Another strong review. The reviews are similar: The SMS Pros look great, feel great, tri-sole is a winner — and all seem surprised at what a difference moving the weights makes. 

Being reported by MGS that Doug Coors--yes of that Coors has bought Edel! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

9 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Being reported by MGS that Doug Coors--yes of that Coors has bought Edel! 

Think that could be a huge plus for Edel.  Deeper pockets and more connections can grow their brand.  Too many golfers are aware of Edel and their quality offerings.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

Think that could be a huge plus for Edel.  Deeper pockets and more connections can grow their brand.  Too many golfers are aware of Edel and their quality offerings.

Yeah, and from reading the article.  He was actually a huge Edel fan as a customer and player for several years.  He said he really liked everything about them, and sees the opporutnity to do exactly as you said, increase some consumer awareness and probably invest more into the company.   They will be moving the HQ to Denver, but keeping a small custom operation in TX. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Just now, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Yeah, and from reading the article.  He was actually a huge Edel fan as a customer and player for several years.  He said he really liked everything about them, and sees the opporutnity to do exactly as you said, increase some consumer awareness and probably invest more into the company.   They will be moving the HQ to Denver, but keeping a small custom operation in TX. 

Agreed.  Sounds like a win win, but time will tell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bd59 said:

I finally settled on a decision on my new irons.   I went with the Edel Pro’s in a combo set. Can’t wait to get them!! J13 is your guy if you need any assistance. 

Congrats. What’s the combo breakdown and shaft choice?

12 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Interesting that after the sale that David Edel is totally gone and will have nothing to do with the company going forward.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Congrats. What’s the combo breakdown and shaft choice?

4-5 SMS 6-P in the pro. I’ve been in X100 most of my life but Modus here the last several years. Decided to change it up a bit go s400. I’m getting a bit older and the SS is starting to dip.  They look so good and all the reviews that I’ve seen have been great.