New Edel SMS Pro Irons

golfinbrad

Just now, golfinbrad said:

Hit'em.  You won't be disappointed. 

Need to find a place that has them. I dont think anyone near me does. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

5 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Need to find a place that has them. I dont think anyone near me does. 

Yeah, that is the only downside.  They are trying to expand, which I think they really need to.  Great product, but doesn't matter if no one can see them in person.  Worst case sounds like a road trip to Texas!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J13 said:

Ok as promised here are some more pics.  I've had these irons in the bag for a few months and many rounds of testing haha.  

Are they magic? No

Are they 10yds longer? No

Do they have juiced lofts?  No

Will they give you better dispersion?  YES

Will they give you a better miss?  YES

Will they actually help you shoot better scores?  YES

You decide what matters most.  If you are looking for a 7 iron that you can hit 250yds this ain't the set for ya.  If you want total control of the ball to actually hit a target then giddy up.  No marketing BS, just facts and honesty.

Pics are of PW, 8, 6, 4

IMG_9317.jpg

IMG_9365.JPG

IMG_9366.JPG

IMG_9367.JPG

IMG_9368.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg

IMG_9370.jpg

IMG_9371.jpg

IMG_9372.jpg

IMG_9373.jpg

IMG_9374.JPG

IMG_9375.JPG

IMG_9376.jpg

IMG_9377.JPG

Looks like you have the heavy weight in different spots throughout the set. Did you test each iron individually to see where dispersion was best? Notice a big difference, if so?

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

1 hour ago, J13 said:

Ok as promised here are some more pics.  I've had these irons in the bag for a few months and many rounds of testing haha.  

Are they magic? No

Are they 10yds longer? No

Do they have juiced lofts?  No

Will they give you better dispersion?  YES

Will they give you a better miss?  YES

Will they actually help you shoot better scores?  YES

You decide what matters most.  If you are looking for a 7 iron that you can hit 250yds this ain't the set for ya.  If you want total control of the ball to actually hit a target then giddy up.  No marketing BS, just facts and honesty.

Pics are of PW, 8, 6, 4

IMG_9317.jpg

IMG_9365.JPG

IMG_9366.JPG

IMG_9367.JPG

IMG_9368.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg

IMG_9370.jpg

IMG_9371.jpg

IMG_9372.jpg

IMG_9373.jpg

IMG_9374.JPG

IMG_9375.JPG

IMG_9376.jpg

IMG_9377.JPG

100% Distances are traditional, but great feel with tighter dispersion.  Worth a try.

On 2/9/2023 at 11:34 AM, osubuckeyes691 said:

Looks like you have the heavy weight in different spots throughout the set. Did you test each iron individually to see where dispersion was best? Notice a big difference, if so?

The shot of the irons in the bag is from an event so weights were being moved all over the place for testing.  My personal setup has the heavy weight in the toe for short irons and as I move towards my long irons I have the heavy weight in the heel.  The longer the club the more I tend to come from the inside with an open face so weight in the heel helps me close my face to path a bit.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I splurged and ordered a combo set of these and the regular SMS irons (4-6 SMS and 7-P SMS Pros). I have never bought a set of new irons before so this was a huge thing for me. I’ve been playing the SMS wedges now for almost a year and absolutely love them. Cannot wait to put these in the bag and I love that they are more traditional lofts even with the PW coming in at 45. How well does that tri sole grind feel through the turf?

• Like 3

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Damn they look good, especially from address. How gnarly is the offset in the non-pro version?

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

17 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

I splurged and ordered a combo set of these and the regular SMS irons (4-6 SMS and 7-P SMS Pros). I have never bought a set of new irons before so this was a huge thing for me. I’ve been playing the SMS wedges now for almost a year and absolutely love them. Cannot wait to put these in the bag and I love that they are more traditional lofts even with the PW coming in at 45. How well does that tri sole grind feel through the turf?

You'll find out soon enough 😉

8 hours ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

Damn they look good, especially from address. How gnarly is the offset in the non-pro version?

For reference the SMS (non pro) has less offset than Srixon ZX7 iron.  This was done purposely to allow players to create combo sets without a drastic change in appearance and also SMS moveable weight tech can help give the player similar performance benefits without the offset.

• Like 3

Edel PROTO

55 minutes ago, J13 said:

You'll find out soon enough 😉

image.gif.ee76f772e7bcef0430d7e080137be9f8.gif

• Like 1

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

• 2 weeks later...

Had a fitting today for the SMS Pro's figured I'd share results.  This fitting was about 1hr long and these were the final shots to demonstrate the difference between locations for this player.  Ballspeed is my favorite and blew the players mind.

The toe weight blew everything else away (especially in dispersion) so when people ask what the weight does this is a good example of what's possible.   This player really lucked out because not only was this the fastest combo for him it was also the straightest.  He swung a few other combo's faster but ball speed suffered due to poor strikes.  

ALL shots were with 7 iron despite the labels. In Full swing you can't choose colors for the dispersion chart unless you choose a different iron.  It's odd you can't edit colors but it is what it is.

IMG_9452.PNG

IMG_9453.PNG

IMG_9454.PNG

IMG_9451.PNG

Edited by J13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edel PROTO

On 2/3/2023 at 9:26 AM, J13 said:

Been playing a combo set of SMS Pro and SMS for about 2 months.  Been extremely swamped with the launch so I'll stop slacking and get you guys some pics of the full set!

I assume you are still swamped with the launch seeing how pure these irons look!! What can you compare size wise for the sms pro? They comparable to a zx7 size or more toward the t100 size. For reference I game Miura TC-201 and have the tendency to miss left/over draw. The toe weighting option is really peaking my interest. 

On 2/3/2023 at 9:26 AM, J13 said:

Been playing a combo set of SMS Pro and SMS for about 2 months.  Been extremely swamped with the launch so I'll stop slacking and get you guys some pics of the full set!

I assume you are still swamped with the launch seeing how pure these irons look!! What can you compare size wise for the sms pro? They comparable to a zx7 size or more toward the t100 size. For reference I game Miura TC-201 and have the tendency to miss left/over draw. The toe weighting option is really peaking my interest. 

4 hours ago, Hall401 said:

I only have seen the SMS irons, not the Pro heads, but the standard Edels are smaller than the ZX7 so no doubt the Pro’s are too. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

13 hours ago, Hall401 said:

SMS Pro's are kinda right in between the Titeist CB and T100 size wise

• Thanks 1

Edel PROTO

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my combo set in and had a good Trackman session to get the weights dialed. Started off center with them all but ultimately ended up with the weights in the toe (no surprise to me, that’s where i play my wedges as well) in all except the 4 iron, which strangely enough I liked in the heel more to help turn it over. I came from playing Vega VDC-01 irons with modern traditional lofts (46° PW) and even though the SMS Pros are only 1° weaker, I gained about 1/2 a club in distance overall. 

Took them out to the course yesterday with some friends, who were all impressed by the looks and feels, and shot a dismal 82 (+2 on the front w/ 4 doubles on the back) but that was more due to some blistering winds on the back and poor strikes on my end. The clubs did their job and did it masterfully. I cannot be more excited with my purchase! I wish Edel made an SMS in a 3i head so I could complete the set!

• Like 2

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

2 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

Finally got my combo set in and had a good Trackman session to get the weights dialed. Started off center with them all but ultimately ended up with the weights in the toe (no surprise to me, that’s where i play my wedges as well) in all except the 4 iron, which strangely enough I liked in the heel more to help turn it over. I came from playing Vega VDC-01 irons with modern traditional lofts (46° PW) and even though the SMS Pros are only 1° weaker, I gained about 1/2 a club in distance overall. 

Took them out to the course yesterday with some friends, who were all impressed by the looks and feels, and shot a dismal 82 (+2 on the front w/ 4 doubles on the back) but that was more due to some blistering winds on the back and poor strikes on my end. The clubs did their job and did it masterfully. I cannot be more excited with my purchase! I wish Edel made an SMS in a 3i head so I could complete the set!

Welcome to the club!!!!  I would like to see a 3i/20* utility as well.  4 irons is crazy easy to hit.  The weight in the toe is where I ended up, but could have went middle as well.  The majority of people who posted in on here seem to go with the toe/middle.  I don't recall seeing anyone towards the heel.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

Welcome to the club!!!!  I would like to see a 3i/20* utility as well.  4 irons is crazy easy to hit.  The weight in the toe is where I ended up, but could have went middle as well.  The majority of people who posted in on here seem to go with the toe/middle.  I don't recall seeing anyone towards the heel.

I liked the toe weight in the 4 but I felt I was losing it a little too far right and had a hard time turning it over. Granted all

of this can change on a dime but I can say with certainty that this was the best purchase I’ve made outside of the wedges! And yes, that 4i is stupid easy to hit. All of them are just incredible! 

• Like 1

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Just did another fit last week. Mini tour player.  His first comment was "wow these are soft".  We ended up going with a weight setup that favored a fade.  We initially went too far to the fade side and he was shocked how much of an impact the weight had. In any case we dialed the fade bias back a bit and he was in love.  His current iron was the ZX7 for reference and he was struggling with a 2 way miss.  

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

On 3/20/2023 at 1:14 PM, J13 said:

Just did another fit last week. Mini tour player.  His first comment was "wow these are soft".  We ended up going with a weight setup that favored a fade.  We initially went too far to the fade side and he was shocked how much of an impact the weight had. In any case we dialed the fade bias back a bit and he was in love.  His current iron was the ZX7 for reference and he was struggling with a 2 way miss.  

Was he fitted using the standard weight or something different?  Just curious if you are seeing requests for heavier weights?

I am an Edel fitter in Western Massachusetts and these irons ( as well as the original SMS) are nothing short of amazing. The ability to change the CG and swingweight by swapping the cavity weights is game changing. The feel is nothing short of top shelf. Edel has a winner in both of these iron designs

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, HateTheHighDraw said:

Just got my set. These are truly incredible irons. The feel is amazing. And once I got the weight in the toe it was like a ball striking lightbulb turned on. 

Right?!! And even with toe weighting I can still draw the ball. But man that feeling is just next level. Not the softest I’ve ever hit, but the feel/sound/flight etc are really incredible. 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

4 hours ago, Jim Patterson said:

I am an Edel fitter in Western Massachusetts and these irons ( as well as the original SMS) are nothing short of amazing. The ability to change the CG and swingweight by swapping the cavity weights is game changing. The feel is nothing short of top shelf. Edel has a winner in both of these iron designs

Over the next few years I imagine we're going to see a lot of the big OEMs copying the concept of moveable weights in the cavity. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HateTheHighDraw said:

Just got my set. These are truly incredible irons. The feel is amazing. And once I got the weight in the toe it was like a ball striking lightbulb turned on. 

They are premium through and through.  Everyone that hits them is like wow that's soft.  They also LOVE that the SMS (non pro) doesn't feel or sound like a hollow body.  Again, premium design and we didn't skimp on what's inside like most.

Edel PROTO

I’m a little steep with irons, which is why I gravitate towards Srixon. How does the Tri-Sole interact with the ground/turf compared to the Srixon V-sole?

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1