New Edel SMS Pro Irons

golfinbrad

On 1/11/2024 at 9:20 PM, Otter101!!! said:

Great thread, I would like to hear from you guys that are gaming the edel sms pro and your specs. I’ve done two fittings for edel sms pro’s and I’m real close to putting together my spec and ordering. Right now my concern is my spin numbers are a little low at 4700, landing angle is about 42, launch is 19, club head speed about 79-82, ball speed 105-107 avg. 

I was fit into the KBS tour 110 regular. I currently play the Srixon xv golf ball. Would weakening the lofts by 1-2 degrees help, maybe even soft stepping the shafts?

Gotcha. XV is a pretty low spinning golf ball.  I used to play it myself before the switch to TP5X.   

My only issue with weakening the lofts is you might get more spin but your launch is going to go up.  Honestly, I would try the Srixon Zstar diamond and also consider spin numbers aren't always accurate with LM's especially depending on the operator and ball you're using.  Another thing to consider is the conditions you typically play in.  I live in the northeast where it's typically soft all year around.  I don't need 7000rpm's of spin with a 7 iron as the greens I play aren't dried out and rolling at a 13 like a tour setup.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

That’s funny you bring up the Srixon diamond that’s my second favorite golf ball and I’ve played it and like it. I have played the chrome soft x another ball that has some good spin. Like you I play in conditions that are pretty soft most of the year in the Pacific Northwest. I would like to spin numbers about 5500-5700 about where my pings are now.

Heres what I think I would like my build to be,

KBS tour 110 r soft stepped by one

plus 1/4 inch length 

2 degrees flat (that’s what I play now)

5-6 1 degree weak

7-pw 2 degrees weak

weight set up 10t, 4, 2h

gap wedge 

T grind KBS tour 110 s hard stepped

52 degrees, plus 1/4 inch

weight setup 10, 4, 2

I think I would order additional weight 6s, and 8s.

Anyone see that new putter teaser?  Looks fun!  

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, stumbling upon this thread is going to be the death of me.  So I've been eyeing new irons & wedges for the upcoming season, and have gone down the Edel rabbit hole.  I've just ordered a set of SMS wedges, 50 T-grind, and 54 & 58 in C.  For sure going to go with the SMS irons and have been mixed between the SMS & Pro's.  I've settled on a combo set with a 4,5,6 in SMS and the rest in Pro's.  

I should get fit first but I know my numbers, and know how to order them up at least closely enough to tinker myself and dial them in.  Looking forward to joining the rest of you addicts!

J13 - I'm in Maryland and noticed you may be close.  I may be asking directions to your spot for a fitting in the near future!  Where are you located?

Also before I forget to say so, I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread as all the info has been incredibly helpful.

Driver: PXG 0811 Proto X+ - Hzrdus Yellow S 60g
Fairway Woods: Callaway Mavrik 4-wood Project X - Cobra King 5-6 wood - Onam 
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 23 deg
Irons 4-GW: PXG 0311 P Gen 2 - TT Elevate Tour Stiff
Wedges: Edel SMS 50* (V-grind), 54 & 58 (C-grind)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 - SuperStroke Tour Traxion 2.0

Putter 2: Rife 2-Bar Mallet (Circa 2008 - mint) - SuperStroke Tour Traxion 2.0

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 6:45 PM, MikeN67 said:

Oh dear, stumbling upon this thread is going to be the death of me.  So I've been eyeing new irons & wedges for the upcoming season, and have gone down the Edel rabbit hole.  I've just ordered a set of SMS wedges, 50 T-grind, and 54 & 58 in C.  For sure going to go with the SMS irons and have been mixed between the SMS & Pro's.  I've settled on a combo set with a 4,5,6 in SMS and the rest in Pro's.  

I should get fit first but I know my numbers, and know how to order them up at least closely enough to tinker myself and dial them in.  Looking forward to joining the rest of you addicts!

J13 - I'm in Maryland and noticed you may be close.  I may be asking directions to your spot for a fitting in the near future!  Where are you located?

Also before I forget to say so, I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread as all the info has been incredibly helpful.

Shoot me a pm, happy to help.   

BTW SMS Pros have exceeded expectations in 2023.  I honestly can't say enough about them.  For example, we got a large shipment in from our factory in November and by the time they arrived on our dock, they were sold out.   They are currently in stock but for anyone looking to get a set of SMS pro's do so in the next 3-4 weeks or you will be waiting a minute

It's a good problem to have but still hate making people wait.   

Anyone needing help ordering them just let me know, happy to take care of my Golfwrx brothers.😎

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2024 at 4:50 PM, J13 said:

Shoot me a pm, happy to help.   

BTW SMS Pros have exceeded expectations in 2023.  I honestly can't say enough about them.  For example, we got a large shipment in from our factory in November and by the time they arrived on our dock, they were sold out.   They are currently in stock but for anyone looking to get a set of SMS pro's do so in the next 3-4 weeks or you will be waiting a minute

It's a good problem to have but still hate making people wait.   

Anyone needing help ordering them just let me know, happy to take care of my Golfwrx brothers.😎

It’s funny. I have played Cobra single length irons since they came out. Last year at the end of the season I bought a couple sets of SLS01 irons. I liked them so much…but nothing on the market was sexier than the SMS Pro irons. I embarked on a project to convert the SMS Pro irons to a single length set (another thread that walked through the entire process). 

Over the winter I was doing some testing along with making some swing changes so my iron testing has been way slower than I would have liked. 

Anyway, I 100% love the feel of the SMS Pro irons. Recently, however, I swapped out the SMS Pro 4 and 5 irons with SMS irons. It’s a perfect mix and that’s what will be in the bag for this year. 

Today, I pulled out the SLS01’s and the Cobra irons and hit some shots and I realized, after hitting the SMS Pro irons…I can’t go back. Everything about the SMS Pro irons, I like more. I also have the T wedges and they are the best wedges I have ever gamed. 

In the past, I have always had two sets of clubs, one set at home and one set I leave at the golf club. The SMS Pro irons have ruined me now. I won’t be gaming a second set of clubs at all…it’s going to be all SMS/SMS Pro combo - single length irons…all the time. 

If you get a chance to get fitted for the SMS or SMS pro irons, don’t miss out. They are amazing. 

I have just started to experiment with a One Length set, mostly just for fun. I hate the way they look, the way they feel (I got a Cobra LTDx OL set for $250), and frankly I also hate the swingweight, lighter shafts in the lower irons, the lofts, nearly everything really...but I like the concept. I'm kind of tall with an above average W2F measurement and shorter clubs are harder to hit off the center. Longer clubs at my usual +1/2" length feel super long sometimes too, because I'm not a great ball striker. One Length would help both issues, but the selection of irons is so minimal. 

Maybe I'll bother Edel about doing something similar if I can tinker and figure out my specs as well as you did yours. I have a swingweight scale, loft/lie machine, and a sim in my garage, so I can get a lot figured out quickly. 😁

3 hours ago, Drrussell said:

It’s funny. I have played Cobra single length irons since they came out. Last year at the end of the season I bought a couple sets of SLS01 irons. I liked them so much…but nothing on the market was sexier than the SMS Pro irons. I embarked on a project to convert the SMS Pro irons to a single length set (another thread that walked through the entire process). 

Over the winter I was doing some testing along with making some swing changes so my iron testing has been way slower than I would have liked. 

Anyway, I 100% love the feel of the SMS Pro irons. Recently, however, I swapped out the SMS Pro 4 and 5 irons with SMS irons. It’s a perfect mix and that’s what will be in the bag for this year. 

Today, I pulled out the SLS01’s and the Cobra irons and hit some shots and I realized, after hitting the SMS Pro irons…I can’t go back. Everything about the SMS Pro irons, I like more. I also have the T wedges and they are the best wedges I have ever gamed. 

In the past, I have always had two sets of clubs, one set at home and one set I leave at the golf club. The SMS Pro irons have ruined me now. I won’t be gaming a second set of clubs at all…it’s going to be all SMS/SMS Pro combo - single length irons…all the time. 

If you get a chance to get fitted for the SMS or SMS pro irons, don’t miss out. They are amazing. 

SMS Pro / SMS combo set for me as well.   It's the best iron setup I've ever owned. Dialing in the weights to help my miss has been a game-changer.  Not playing them would be like trying to go back to glue hosel non adjustable drivers.  Can't go back

• Like 2

Edel PROTO

I’ve got an SMS iron set on order right now and I’m patiently waiting as they are built. 

One thing to know…the customer service is awesome. I was fit into the Project X IO shafts and they weren’t listed on the site during the order. I reached out to them and they said to put it in the notes section and they’ll order them for me and install them without an extra charge. I just wanted to mention this in case that’s a barrier for someone on the ordering side. When in doubt, ask. 

• Like 2

Also made a one length set out of these, buttery smooth and didn't need any loft / lie adjustments. The weight ports are the real key to that success.

Great irons

• Like 1

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

14 hours ago, Drrussell said:

Would love to see what you ended up doing. How is your gapping? Did you end up custom weighting each head like I did?

I was contemplating where to put an update, most likely use a new post.

I didn't get on a SIM for very long. I was eyeballing and using the R10 (for what that's worth) at the range and from 7 to P the viual gapping was reasonably good. The 5 and 6 didn't launch well from the mat, however, playing them on the course twice last week had good results.

I took all the weight out of the PW, so it's nakked. the 2 has a little putty in each hole, then from 8i to 5i, i matched them evenly according to PW head weight.

My friend measured my swing weight at D1-D2, so they are fairly similar in each club. I'm combining only the 2g and 8g with putty, since i can't get a weight kit. Edel ignored my mail request via their website and i don't see anything online.

I did not mess with shaft weighting, or anything exciting, just bought pitching wedge shafts, tipped them half and inch, cut them to 8i length, stuck on some grips and plugged them in.

I hit (carry and good stopping power) :

Pw ~130

9I ~140

8i ~150

7i ~165

6i ~180

5i ~195.

It's essentially just head weight matching, build and shoot. Obviously if I were to get time with my friend to fitand adjust me properly, or access a SIM for a longer period of time, i could get more accurate metrics and tweak them. However, i'm not playing as much as i would like recently, so there is still time to do that in the future.

So far on short term, i'm very happy with them. Still considering whether i want a 4i, however, i am now gaited by the head availability and upgraded weight kit to move forward there.

Anyone might know where to find weights ? 😄 

XXIO premium ball.

12 minutes ago, Andygolderson said:

I was contemplating where to put an update, most likely use a new post.

I didn't get on a SIM for very long. I was eyeballing and using the R10 (for what that's worth) at the range and from 7 to P the viual gapping was reasonably good. The 5 and 6 didn't launch well from the mat, however, playing them on the course twice last week had good results.

I took all the weight out of the PW, so it's nakked. the 2 has a little putty in each hole, then from 8i to 5i, i matched them evenly according to PW head weight.

My friend measured my swing weight at D1-D2, so they are fairly similar in each club. I'm combining only the 2g and 8g with putty, since i can't get a weight kit. Edel ignored my mail request via their website and i don't see anything online.

I did not mess with shaft weighting, or anything exciting, just bought pitching wedge shafts, tipped them half and inch, cut them to 8i length, stuck on some grips and plugged them in.

I hit (carry and good stopping power) :

Pw ~130

9I ~140

8i ~150

7i ~165

6i ~180

5i ~195.

It's essentially just head weight matching, build and shoot. Obviously if I were to get time with my friend to fitand adjust me properly, or access a SIM for a longer period of time, i could get more accurate metrics and tweak them. However, i'm not playing as much as i would like recently, so there is still time to do that in the future.

So far on short term, i'm very happy with them. Still considering whether i want a 4i, however, i am now gaited by the head availability and upgraded weight kit to move forward there.

Anyone might know where to find weights ? 😄 

Here are the weights: https://edelgolf.com/collections/grips-weights/products/sms-weights

3 hours ago, Drrussell said:

unfortunately not available in my country . i went there and e-mail them. 

XXIO premium ball.

On 3/27/2024 at 6:25 PM, ThomasM said:

I’ve got an SMS iron set on order right now and I’m patiently waiting as they are built. 

One thing to know…the customer service is awesome. I was fit into the Project X IO shafts and they weren’t listed on the site during the order. I reached out to them and they said to put it in the notes section and they’ll order them for me and install them without an extra charge. I just wanted to mention this in case that’s a barrier for someone on the ordering side. When in doubt, ask. 

That's good to know because the shaft I prefer isn't listed on their site, nor do they have my "alternate" shaft. I don't have an Edel fitter anywhere near me either. 

34 minutes ago, ChadL said:

That's good to know because the shaft I prefer isn't listed on their site, nor do they have my "alternate" shaft. I don't have an Edel fitter anywhere near me either. 

You should call them. I made a custom order with them and ordered the Kinetixx One shaft. It’s not listed on their site but they ordered it during my conversion project. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChadL said:

I had a full bag fitting at Club Champion and the cost difference was night and day. $1830 with Edel vs. a little over $5K with CC. 

I would say just simply start with an email and go from there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, indianagolf2 said:

What did u buy 

I went 4-PW in the SMS, with Project X IO’s, golf pride tour wrap midsized. I debated going with a mixed set but I’m leaning in to the forgiveness side of golf for once. The SMS’s gave me the launch and spin I’ve needed, so I really didn’t want to mess with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasM said:

I went 4-PW in the SMS, with Project X IO’s, golf pride tour wrap midsized. I debated going with a mixed set but I’m leaning in to the forgiveness side of golf for once. The SMS’s gave me the launch and spin I’ve needed, so I really didn’t want to mess with it. 

Very nice. Did u go with there wedges and putter? 

5 hours ago, indianagolf2 said:

Very nice. Did u go with there wedges and putter? 

Oddly enough, I didn’t even try their wedges but wish I did. Wedges are a strong part of my game and I swapped out my SM8’s for some SM10’s with just a different grind in the lob. Got them in last weekend and they are just an improved version of my SM8’s so the transition has been easy. 

For the putter, it’s hard to beat the DF3 for me. SAM analysis confirmed it so I ordered my specs and waiting for it now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ThomasM said:

Oddly enough, I didn’t even try their wedges but wish I did. Wedges are a strong part of my game and I swapped out my SM8’s for some SM10’s with just a different grind in the lob. Got them in last weekend and they are just an improved version of my SM8’s so the transition has been easy. 

For the putter, it’s hard to beat the DF3 for me. SAM analysis confirmed it so I ordered my specs and waiting for it now.

Fantastic...ty for info

On 3/29/2024 at 10:10 AM, ChadL said:

Shot you a pm but Edel can order pretty much any shaft.  Our internal list of shafts for accounts is extensive we just don't offer them on the website at this point.  

Edel PROTO