2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New Edel SMS Pro Irons

golfinbrad

4 hours ago, teedub21 said:

The silence is deafening.  😂

I try not to get too fired up with smaller manufacturers with this, I get that there is a lot of cost for 10%ish of the market. 

That being said, and I’ll vent here a bit, it is frustrating that a set of clubs I would strongly consider is literally not available to me. I’m not anything special, but I play well enough where I would appreciate and probably gain something from the technology these have along with the aesthetics which are top notch. The fact the I was born or developed into left hand dominance is never an easy pill to swallow when its the answer to why you can’t give something a try.

Alas, i’ll sit here and gaze with wonder while all you lucky right handers get to enjoy the spoils! 😂😜

Edel, if you do decide to throw in a left option, I am a willing guinea pig!! 👏🏼🤞🏼

• Like 2

On 11/28/2023 at 7:19 AM, DoughBack18 said:

Do they have any plans of making any options in left handed? Or will this be another one of those “only in my dreams” type setup?

We're getting there.  Lefty, especially for smaller companies is financially tough (just being honest).  Keep in mind I'm referring to companies that actually design and engineer product not ones that sell direct to consumer and pick models out of a catalog.  With that said 2024 will have something for ya 😎

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

On 12/3/2023 at 6:14 PM, cg0rd0noo7 said:

I keep getting suggested posts from a company called foreward golf on Instagram that seems to be trying to do something very similar to edel with the movable/customizable weights in irons. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Czt8qHgvdB9/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

They won't be the last company to copy what we're doing.  Bigger companies are hot on our heels according to little birdies flying around SoCal.  😉

Edited by J13

Edel PROTO

1 hour ago, J13 said:

We're getting there.  Lefty, especially for smaller companies is financially tough (just being honest).  Keep in mind I'm referring to companies that actually design and engineer product not ones that sell direct to consumer and pick models out of a catalog.  With that said 2024 will have something for ya 😎

Don’t you tease me now!! 😂

That is awesome to here! I did mention that I understand the cost issues of smaller manufacturers making a lefty option, so i’ll never be too harsh on you guys. But greatly appreciate that some options may be coming and i’ll do everything I can to reciprocate with a purchase!

3 hours ago, DoughBack18 said:

Don’t you tease me now!! 😂

That is awesome to here! I did mention that I understand the cost issues of smaller manufacturers making a lefty option, so i’ll never be too harsh on you guys. But greatly appreciate that some options may be coming and i’ll do everything I can to reciprocate with a purchase!

I appreciate that and just know we're doing our best.  Edel Golf is evolving from a niche brand to a more mainstream name. Takes time, money, and a lot of hard work.  Plus they let a GolfWRX'er in the hen house. Im lucky to be involved in the product design aspect of the company so I'm representing all the club ho's across the board! haha.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Edel PROTO

Just got my Black Friday 7 iron.....  and whoa.....    I was asleep on these SMS irons.  

They really are pretty clubs.   Damn....   I may have to buy a set!  

They remind me a little of the Callaway TCBs but just a little larger footprint and less offset.... which is incredible looking.  

• Like 2

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

47 minutes ago, DNice26 said:

Just got my Black Friday 7 iron.....  and whoa.....    I was asleep on these SMS irons.  

They really are pretty clubs.   Damn....   I may have to buy a set!  

They remind me a little of the Callaway TCBs but just a little larger footprint and less offset.... which is incredible looking.  

I got mine today as well.   Of course it is 30 degrees with 11 mph winds and snow flurries here, but didn't stop me from grabbing my shag bag of Prov's and my Wilson Staff CB 7 iron and went to one of our par 3's and hit about a dozen shots.

It is a great looking club.  I didn't move he weights at all, but might have to look at that.  I hit some really nice shots with a bit of a fade, which is my natural shot.   Feel wise it didn't match the Staff CB, but distance wise they were almost to the yard.  The CB actually was a bit more forgiving through the turf on a couple I caught slightly behind the ball on both shots.  Offset was a bit more on the SMS than the CB.  Soles were almost identical size. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

On 12/6/2023 at 5:00 PM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I got mine today as well.   Of course it is 30 degrees with 11 mph winds and snow flurries here, but didn't stop me from grabbing my shag bag of Prov's and my Wilson Staff CB 7 iron and went to one of our par 3's and hit about a dozen shots.

It is a great looking club.  I didn't move he weights at all, but might have to look at that.  I hit some really nice shots with a bit of a fade, which is my natural shot.   Feel wise it didn't match the Staff CB, but distance wise they were almost to the yard.  The CB actually was a bit more forgiving through the turf on a couple I caught slightly behind the ball on both shots.  Offset was a bit more on the SMS than the CB.  Soles were almost identical size. 

Keep in mind the SMS is a hollow body compared to the Staff CB which is solid.  Funny most players hit the SMS and are surprised to hear it's hollow body as it doesn't sound or feel like most on the market (won't name names).  

As for the weight - Hit 5 shots with the heavy weight in each location and compare numbers.  It's always a fun process.  Enjoy !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edel PROTO

12 hours ago, J13 said:

Keep in mind the SMS is a hollow body compared to the Staff CB which is solid.  Funny most players hit the SMS and are surprised to hear it's hollow body as it doesn't sound or feel like most on the market (won't name names).  

As for the weight - Hit 5 shots with the heavy weight in each location and compare numbers.  It's always a fun process.  Enjoy !

Thanks, that is a great point on the construction of the two.  A more accurate comparison might be to the T200 when I take it out.  Also to be fair to it, I probably shouldn't have taken it out in conditions I wouldn't normally play.  But you know how we are when we get a new toy in hand. 

Thanks for the suggestion on the weights, I'll definitely do that when I get it out in better weather, this afternoon is supposed to be very nice.   So will probably give it another go then. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

10 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Thanks, that is a great point on the construction of the two.  A more accurate comparison might be to the T200 when I take it out.  Also to be fair to it, I probably shouldn't have taken it out in conditions I wouldn't normally play.  But you know how we are when we get a new toy in hand. 

Thanks for the suggestion on the weights, I'll definitely do that when I get it out in better weather, this afternoon is supposed to be very nice.   So will probably give it another go then. 

I do the exact same thing when I get a new toy.  It could be hurricane winds and I'm out there haha.  Enjoy, hopefully you get out tomorrow, should be a nice day

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

23 hours ago, J13 said:

The SMS pro is a single piece forged? And the SMS is hollow body? That's what I gathered from their website. If so, is feel different on them I'm assuming? 

On 12/7/2023 at 10:14 PM, J13 said:

Wow, its hollow body!  The feel is fantastic.  I literally just got back from the range and I’m so impressed.  Like….very impressed.  Kudos to Edel.  

Also, just want to add that I can feel/see the quality of these clubs and I’m alllll for it.  

Edited by DNice26

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I have SMS Pro with Steelfibers i110cw Stiff and also just received a nice used set of SMS with C-Taper Lite Regular.   Hitting the SMS with steel, I couldn’t tell they are hollow at all - kudos for the great feel.  I bought that set for the heads and plan to reshaft with a heavier steel.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

On 12/8/2023 at 9:19 PM, toastinato said:

The SMS pro is a single piece forged? And the SMS is hollow body? That's what I gathered from their website. If so, is feel different on them I'm assuming? 

Correct.  SMS were purposely designed to feel like a solid iron.  Most common complain with hollow body irons is the clicky sound and feel. We set out to eliminate that.   SMS Pro is solid forged metal and feels as soft as anything you will ever use to hit a golf ball.

On 12/9/2023 at 2:19 PM, DNice26 said:

Wow, its hollow body!  The feel is fantastic.  I literally just got back from the range and I’m so impressed.  Like….very impressed.  Kudos to Edel.  

Also, just want to add that I can feel/see the quality of these clubs and I’m alllll for it.  

Yes sir.  Bend easily due to the forged frame but hollow body.  Enjoy!

• Thanks 2

Edel PROTO

Hopefully that demo program drops again sometime 😅. The SMS Irons have been on my radar for a while but just haven't had a chance to test them. I'll have to talk to my coach at golftec and set up a fitting.

As someone who has struggled with irons over the last few seasons with dispersion, this does seem like something worth trying. 

One question: If I am someone who fights heel strikes ( near shanks) would the heavy weight in the toe help move the strike toe side or would it make more sense to position the weight behind my strike location?

Edited by Flip4000

1 hour ago, Flip4000 said:

Hopefully that demo program drops again sometime 😅. The SMS Irons have been on my radar for a while but just haven't had a chance to test them. I'll have to talk to my coach at golftec and set up a fitting.

As someone who has struggled with irons over the last few seasons with dispersion, this does seem like something worth trying. 

One question: If I am someone who fights heel strikes ( near shanks) would the heavy weight in the toe help move the strike toe side or would it make more sense to position the weight behind my strike location?

Put the heavy weight behind the strike point.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 10K 7.5* Diamana WB 63TX

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 4-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I got the SMS 7 iron out on the course yesterday.  For a hollow body iron, it did not feel that way at all. 

The course was empty, so I hit 2-3 7 irons on most holes.

I brought a ZX 5 7 Irion (modus 125) along with my current ZX 7 7 (KBS Tour) (so many 7's 🤪) for comparison.  I went x-100 in the Edel.  Feel I give the ZX7 a slight edge, but I will have to try the SMS pro to decide on that.  This metric won't drive my ultimate decision and would likely build a combo set similar to my current Srixons with the shift to the "pro" model at the 7-iron

The genius behind the Edel irons is the adjustable weights.  I hit a bigger draw than I like to see in the standard heavy middle setting.  I moved the red weight to the toe, and away we went!  Draw became minimal to very straight, which I prefer to play in my mid to short irons.  

My interest is piqued.  I am contemplating ordering a 4-iron and an SMS Pro PW to extend the experiment.  

Suppose you are in the market for new irons, which is weekly for some of you.  I would put these at the top of the list.  

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

On 12/3/2023 at 4:14 PM, cg0rd0noo7 said:

I keep getting suggested posts from a company called foreward golf on Instagram that seems to be trying to do something very similar to edel with the movable/customizable weights in irons. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Czt8qHgvdB9/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

The Foreward Golf guy is just astonishingly bad too.  The ultimate in vagueposting.  Usually posts a random photo comparing sole shapes with "if you know you know" text.  Then someone comments with "what does this even mean?  What are you trying to suggest from this post."  And he answers with something equally vague like "sole shape matters."

Cool looking irons.  But I guess you have to go get fit personally at their facility, then maybe you find out how much a set costs after they custom build them for you.  

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

I've had my SMS Pro with SF i110cw Stiff for a few months now, and really liking them.  I hit them daily in my Sim and finally have very good confidence and results from my 5i and 6i.  Really looking forward to getting them on the course next spring.  The last 2 seasons saw me only playing rounds, with zero range time.  So now beating balls all winter with my dialed-in set has me expecting to drop a few strokes.

These are in an MOI build in 3/8" increments, with 9-LW single-length at 36.125"

I use CP2 Wrap Jumbo grips which are heavy at 80g.  With a Tour Velvet standard grip on the 7i, it swing weights at D3.8.   So the 6 and 5 get a bit lighter per club and 8-PW get a bit heavier.  Lofts are stock, though I strengthened the PW and 5i by 1* for better gapping.  All are 2* flat. I'm not a long hitter and my 7i CHS maxes out at 80mph.

For your curiosity, here are the weights I have in each club.  They are pretty near maxed out, so not much opportunity to try different heel-mid-toe placements

Iron, Length ungripped, Heel/Mid-Toe

5 - 37.625 -  6/10/6

6 - 37.25   -  8/10/8

7 - 36.875 - 10/10/8

8 - 36.50  -  8/10/8

9 - 36.125 -  10/10/8

P - 36.125 -  8/10/6

G - 36.125 -  0/8/2

L - 36.125 -  0/2/2

I also recently received a set of SMS ( non-Pro ) 5-PW with C-Taper Lite Regular for my weekend bag.  I was planning on sourcing some heavier steel shafts but built them up with the CTL-R yesterday, as why not !?

These are also in an MOI build but in 1/4" increments with 5i being a bit shorter than the above build, and also with CP2 Wrap Jumbo grips.  Lofts and Lie are were set to be the same as the SMS Pro above.   The previous owner had a few clubs quite out of spec.

Iron, Length ungripped, Heel/Mid-Toe

5 - 37.375 -  8/10/8

6 - 37.125  -  8/10/8

7 - 36.875 -  8/10/8

8 - 36.625 -  8/10/6

9 - 36.375 -  8/10/6

P - 36.375 -  6/10/4

I was hitting this set very well yesterday in the Sim, but did see some gapping issues.  I'll do a few more sessions before deciding to bend lofts.  The thicker topline makes the head looks bigger and the shaft shorter.  These were also not as easy to bend as the SMS Pro, which are butter soft.

Man, I love the Edel SMS concept.  It is so easy to dial in swing-weight, and you get a true players iron in looks and feel and performance.  I initially gamed my SMS Pro set with 2g less per club.   Then I wondered how the set would be being a bit heavier, and quickly changed each toe weight to one 2g heavier.  I like the heavier set better and will run with that for the next few weeks.  Then I'll go up another 2g and see how that goes.  So easy, love it !

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

On 12/18/2023 at 1:20 PM, subrew said:

The ultimate in vagueposting.  Usually posts a random photo comparing sole shapes with "if you know you know" text.  Then someone comments with "what does this even mean?  What are you trying to suggest from this post."  And he answers with something equally vague like "sole shape matters."

I like the idea of it all - basically run actual tests on the dimensional and design variables of irons and see what works best for you, but I have some issues. Hitting only 3 balls with each set, testing a longer length in just one club (you may strike a longer 7-iron better but what about the rest of the set), etc. I am a mechanical engineer that's been forced to design my fair share of experiments in past lives, and my first thought was, "are there any interactions", e.g. independently a player may strike the low bounce and high swingweight options great, but what about together? Anyway, I have asked a few technical questions and gotten no response, but I kind of get it. In todays business world you have to be the hype-man on social media or no one gives a crap about you. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TonyRo said:

I like the idea of it all - basically run actual tests on the dimensional and design variables of irons and see what works best for you, but I have some issues. Hitting only 3 balls with each set, testing a longer length in just one club (you may strike a longer 7-iron better but what about the rest of the set), etc. I am a mechanical engineer that's been forced to design my fair share of experiments in past lives, and my first thought was, "are there any interactions", e.g. independently a player may strike the low bounce and high swingweight options great, but what about together? Anyway, I have asked a few technical questions and gotten no response, but I kind of get it. In todays business world you have to be the hype-man on social media or no one gives a crap about you. 

Agreed.  There is also something to staying small.  Have a couple hundreds sets of irons built, do specialty fittings to local golf nerds, not have a ton of employees, and enjoy operating a small business.  Not everyone wants to grow to a point where selling/supporting 1,000 sets of irons a year is feasible.  And dealing with online customers would immediately make me NOT want to run a business like that.  

I just wish his social media hype had a tick more info.  He kind of tried on his first YT video, but hasn't done much else since.  

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread, I would like to hear from you guys that are gaming the edel sms pro and your specs. I’ve done two fittings for edel sms pro’s and I’m real close to putting together my spec and ordering. Right now my concern is my spin numbers are a little low at 4700, landing angle is about 41, launch is 19, club head speed about 79-83max, ball speed 105-107 avg.

18 hours ago, Otter101!!! said:

Great thread, I would like to hear from you guys that are gaming the edel sms pro and your specs. I’ve done two fittings for edel sms pro’s and I’m real close to putting together my spec and ordering. Right now my concern is my spin numbers are a little low at 4700, landing angle is about 41, launch is 19, club head speed about 79-83max, ball speed 105-107 avg.

I play the SMS Pro's (aside from my SMS 4,5 iron).  I have  DG X100 in my irons as they gave me ideal spin and launch numbers. In my previous set i was using Mitsu MMT's which I enjoyed but spin was a little lower than id' like.  

Basically if spin is too high or low with irons I'd look at getting into the right shaft and even ball.  I used to play TP5X but due to an equipment change in the top of my bag I decided to play less loft and use a ball that spun a little more.

Edel PROTO

Great thread, I would like to hear from you guys that are gaming the edel sms pro and your specs. I’ve done two fittings for edel sms pro’s and I’m real close to putting together my spec and ordering. Right now my concern is my spin numbers are a little low at 4700, landing angle is about 42, launch is 19, club head speed about 79-82, ball speed 105-107 avg. 

I was fit into the KBS tour 110 regular. I currently play the Srixon xv golf ball. Would weakening the lofts by 1-2 degrees help, maybe even soft stepping the shafts?

10 hours ago, Otter101!!! said:

Great thread, I would like to hear from you guys that are gaming the edel sms pro and your specs. I’ve done two fittings for edel sms pro’s and I’m real close to putting together my spec and ordering. Right now my concern is my spin numbers are a little low at 4700, landing angle is about 42, launch is 19, club head speed about 79-82, ball speed 105-107 avg. 

I was fit into the KBS tour 110 regular. I currently play the Srixon xv golf ball. Would weakening the lofts by 1-2 degrees help, maybe even soft stepping the shafts?

The quickest and easiest way to increase launch and spin is change the ball.  That said, are the numbers mentioned a 7 iron?  What was your Angle of Attack?