New Edel SMS Pro Irons

golfinbrad

Does Edel ever have sales/discounts ?

Companies like New Level or Sub 70 have some promo's a couple times a year.

I'd love to get a set of SMS Pro and do a short-increment MOI build on them ( 1/4" inc. )

So the stock weights are 8-2-8, and let's say for a given iron, that weight and placement works.

What might one experience by going 6-6-6 instead ?

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

14 hours ago, grm24 said:

Interesting that after the sale that David Edel is totally gone and will have nothing to do with the company going forward.

Yeah that is an interesting development. I thought Coors would be buying the company and keeping David on but sounds like that is definitely NOT the case. Edel and Guerin Rife selling out in the same week. Didn’t have that on my bingo card. 

Edited by JDTex
Spelling is hard.
  • Like 1

Ping G430 LST (10.5*) / Ventus Red 6X

Ping G430 Max (15*) / Ventus Red 7X

Tour Edge XCG7 (21*) Aldila Rogue Black 80S

Tour Select 835 (17*) Driving Iron

Srixon Z785 4-PW Accra 115i Green

Ping Glide 2.0 46* SS / 52* SS 58* TS Accra 120i Wedge

Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C  

Titleist Pro V1X

8 minutes ago, JDTex said:

Yeah that is an interesting development. I thought Coors would be buying the company and keeping David on but sounds like that is definitely NOT the case. Eden and Guerin Rife selling out in the same week. Didn’t have that on my bingo card. 

Juar my very uneducated but somewhat informed guess.   I remarked to a rep with one of the companies earlier this year, that we didn't see the usual trafic/sales in our Pro Shop after the PGA show that usually occurs when the new models are released.  And that overall club  orders in Jan-Mar were down. 

He mentioned that there are some in his company who said, they are thinking the surge in sales in 2021 and 2022 was due to the new govers that started playng during the pandemic and that they played for a year then decided to buy stuff in 2021.   As we all know 2021 most companies had huge delivery ime issues and a lot of sales got pusthed int 2022.

so the thinking is, that all those new golfers are not like WRX'ers and buying new stuff every year, so there has been a drop off in year over year sales showing up this 1st Q.    And so maybe Edel and Rife and others are reading the tea leaves and thinking now is a good time to cash our their chips.   

As usual only time will tell.   But it wouldnt' surprise me if we some more sales or moving on within the year. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

3 hours ago, JDTex said:

Yeah that is an interesting development. I thought Coors would be buying the company and keeping David on but sounds like that is definitely NOT the case. Edel and Guerin Rife selling out in the same week. Didn’t have that on my bingo card. 

3 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Juar my very uneducated but somewhat informed guess.   I remarked to a rep with one of the companies earlier this year, that we didn't see the usual trafic/sales in our Pro Shop after the PGA show that usually occurs when the new models are released.  And that overall club  orders in Jan-Mar were down. 

He mentioned that there are some in his company who said, they are thinking the surge in sales in 2021 and 2022 was due to the new govers that started playng during the pandemic and that they played for a year then decided to buy stuff in 2021.   As we all know 2021 most companies had huge delivery ime issues and a lot of sales got pusthed int 2022.

so the thinking is, that all those new golfers are not like WRX'ers and buying new stuff every year, so there has been a drop off in year over year sales showing up this 1st Q.    And so maybe Edel and Rife and others are reading the tea leaves and thinking now is a good time to cash our their chips.   

As usual only time will tell.   But it wouldnt' surprise me if we some more sales or moving on within the year. 

That doesn't sound like bad logic at all. I could totally see that being the case, especially given how long these guys have been around the equipment business.

Ping G430 LST (10.5*) / Ventus Red 6X

Ping G430 Max (15*) / Ventus Red 7X

Tour Edge XCG7 (21*) Aldila Rogue Black 80S

Tour Select 835 (17*) Driving Iron

Srixon Z785 4-PW Accra 115i Green

Ping Glide 2.0 46* SS / 52* SS 58* TS Accra 120i Wedge

Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C  

Titleist Pro V1X

14 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I think this is a solid take. New Level also was sold at the end of 2022. 

I think marketing golf clubs is over time a tough business, and it will likely get tougher going forward, especially for small operators. It is tough to maintain the energy to compete and the analysis was sell now to buyers with deep pockets and let them proceed with big plans. Guerin Rife, David Edel, Eric Burch — all connected with strong buyers and likely got a nice windfall that allows them to leave all that sales pressure behind. 

Initially I was surprised David Edel will no longer be involved but if you think about it, it makes sense. That company was his life and it is probably better to simply move on instead of having an uncomfortable role in a company you used to own. A clean break is often the best move.

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

8 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I think this is a solid take. New Level also was sold at the end of 2022. 

I think marketing golf clubs is over time a tough business, and it will likely get tougher going forward, especially for small operators. It is tough to maintain the energy to compete and the analysis was sell now to buyers with deep pockets and let them proceed with big plans. Guerin Rife, David Edel, Eric Burch — all connected with strong buyers and likely got a nice windfall that allows them to leave all that sales pressure behind. 

Initially I was surprised David Edel will no longer be involved but if you think about it, it makes sense. That company was his life and it is probably better to simply move on instead of having an uncomfortable role in a company you used to own. A clean break is often the best move.

Great additional points.

I think that’s probably spot on with Edel. I had forgotten about New Level being sold.  

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

13 hours ago, coloradogolf72 said:

Done

Nice set too. Too much shaft for me. What was it about them that didn’t do it for you? 

6 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Nice set too. Too much shaft for me. What was it about them that didn’t do it for you? 

I actually love them a lot. They feel great, the movable weight is really good for dialing in. They are just a bit small, if I am getting picky. I'm coming from ZX7 OG for 2 years and then the ZX7Mkii, so those are quite a bit bigger. I have the SMS 4 and 5 on the way so I may take the ad down to put those in play as a combo set to see how I get along then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J13 said:

Hi everyone,

I can clear somethings up about Edel!

-Doug Coors actually bought the company a few years ago but it's been very hush hush as we developed new product.

- David Edel is not active in the company and really hasn't been with any of our new product.  He is focusing on course development and a putting instruction book which will be awesome.  For reference David's oldest son runs our putter department so there isn't some crazy story or drama to tell.  And no big cash grab either.  Just people pursuing different things.

-We moved the Denver in January which is our new HQ.  Denver is a new hotbed for golf with GolfTec having their HQ there as well as a new golf desitnation being built by the Bandon and Sand Valley Owners.  It's going to be awesome, Rodeo Dunes 😉

-Austin, TX still there and is our machine shop and fitting studio's.  All of our custom limited putters and accessories get made there.  We also have multiple fitting bays for players to get fit.

Hope that helps clear it up.  The future is bright and I will put the SMS Pro against any iron on the market in terms of performance and feel.   I just knocked out a set of Miura TC201's out of some ones bag for the SMS Pro because they were better in dispersion. 2mph more ball speed (same loft) and SOFTER feeling.  No joke.  Try them.

Thanks @J13 edel is really started to beep on the radar lately. I tried the wedges, didnt have the best experience but I did love some things about them. These new irons are something I will have to try soon. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Hi,

I had a fitting for some SMS pro irons not long ago. Going to go back just to confirm the finished spec before ordering. I found them to be really nice. Loved the look at address, the top line was great and felt nice and soft.

My only question is, as great as I found them, if they were that good, why is there not much of a presence on tour? 

Thanks

2 hours ago, jamesc11 said:

Hi,

I had a fitting for some SMS pro irons not long ago. Going to go back just to confirm the finished spec before ordering. I found them to be really nice. Loved the look at address, the top line was great and felt nice and soft.

My only question is, as great as I found them, if they were that good, why is there not much of a presence on tour? 

Thanks

Welcome to Wrx.

Great first post and question.

A couple different thoughts on this. One, Edel doesn't sponsor anyone, so the money aspect is a huge part of it. Two, Edel is still considered a small (boutique) company. You'll see some independent players using the smaller company's stuff, mainly putter and wedge., but not many.  I'm unaware of any Edel representatives assigned to the respective tours, although @J13 can answer that for certain.

Edel is certainly worthy of gaining some professional players to their stable and hopefully will in the near future. It would be fun to watch.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Just wanna pop in here to say I LOVE my Edel SMS/Pro combo set. 4,5,6 in the hollow body and 7-PW in the Pros. The Pro PW has also popped up as a standalone club in a couple bags of people I know because the shape is so 🤌

And for anybody doubting that the stock 2,8,2 weight setup isnt enough to make a difference, you are wrong. Ive seen skilled ballstrikers turn into shankapottamus’ just because the 8 gram was moved to the wrong place. Crazy what it can do!  

• Like 1

D - Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 @ N/S w/ Mitsubishi Kai'Li Red 60tx

2H - Ping G430 w/ Accra TZ5 90H M5, FLAT

4H - Ping G430 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 95tx

DI - Ping iCrossover 4iron w/ Tensei CK PRO Orange 90tx

5&6 Edel SMS, 7-PW Edel SMS Pro w/ Accra TZi 105

Wedges - Callaway JAWS RAW 52W @ 51, 56W @ 54, 60X @ 60, 60Z @ 62 w/ Accra iSteel Wedge 120, Z Grind Gamer has a BGT ZNE 130 

Grips - SuperStroke S-Tech Cord (White) 2+2 

Putter - My TaylorMade TP Soto w/ Mitsubishi MMT & SuperStroke Tour 3.0 17 @ 38.5" 

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

SuperStroke TXR1000 Rangefinder, Ping Tour Glove, UnderArmour 

2 hours ago, jmorrow020 said:

Just wanna pop in here to say I LOVE my Edel SMS/Pro combo set. 4,5,6 in the hollow body and 7-PW in the Pros. The Pro PW has also popped up as a standalone club in a couple bags of people I know because the shape is so 🤌

And for anybody doubting that the stock 2,8,2 weight setup isnt enough to make a difference, you are wrong. Ive seen skilled ballstrikers turn into shankapottamus’ just because the 8 gram was moved to the wrong place. Crazy what it can do!  

Now there's a man who knows fitting.  Love that setup

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

9 hours ago, jamesc11 said:

Hi,

Thanks

Welcome to WRX my friend.  Edel has clubs in bags on tour, including major wins.  Most people are familiar with Edel with Bryson playing them or Dustin Johnson using putters ect.. but we won a major on the LPGA last year, we've been in the bags of top 10's at the Masters. But because we don't pay anyone to use product we can't use name and likeness.   Plus the SMS Pro's came out in March and pro's test in late fall so the earliest they would be adopted would be for 2024.

Tour is a tricky beast though.  There is a HUGE cost to giving that product away not to mention tour vans, tour reps, contracts, ect.. We just aren't in a place where that makes sense.  In the future that will change and I wish I could tell you who is testing the SMS pro's but regardless it all takes time and money.  We could sign a few players right now but we choose to spend that money on developing the most innovative products on the market for you the consumer who actually buys the stuff.  Eventually we will be able to do both and do it the right way.

Edel is evolving from the days of Bryson and DJ.  We are taking what people love about Edel and making it better than it's ever been.  The top fitters in the world are LOVING the SMS weight tech so that is the best validation possible.  

Edited by J13
  • Like 2

Edel PROTO

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

30 minutes ago, J13 said:

Welcome to WRX my friend.  Edel has clubs in bags on tour, including major wins.  Most people are familiar with Edel with Bryson playing them or Dustin Johnson using putters ect.. but we won a major on the LPGA last year, we've been in the bags of top 10's at the Masters. But because we don't pay anyone to use product we can't use name and likeness.   Plus the SMS Pro's came out in March and pro's test in late fall so the earliest they would be adopted would be for 2024.

Tour is a tricky beast though.  There is a HUGE cost to giving that product away not to mention tour vans, tour reps, contracts, ect.. We just aren't in a place where that makes sense.  In the future that will change and I wish I could tell you who is testing the SMS pro's but regardless it all takes time and money.  We could sign a few players right now but we choose to spend that money on developing the most innovative products on the market for you the consumer who actually buys the stuff.  Eventually we will be able to do both and do it the right way.

Edel is evolving from the days of Bryson and DJ.  We are taking what people love about Edel and making it better than it's ever been.  The top fitters in the world are LOVING the SMS weight tech so that is the best validation possible.  

You guys are doing a great job and on the right track.  Once more people get to try, it will grow even more.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J13 said:

Hi,

Thanks so much for the info. I kind of guessed that it's hard standing out on the top tours due to the big manufacturers having the lions share. I know that from testing the SMS pro irons, it won't be long before they're in plenty of bags both professionally and in the amateur game. They performed great, felt great, looked great and come in at a reasonable price point which in today's market is appealing.

Can't wait to sure up my specs and order a set 👍🏻

• Like 1

Hmm. I'm torn on the look of these. Maybe just a little too PXG looking for me. I don't hate em, but don't love the look. Do they make other colored weights, maybe just satin, to swap in for those black ones? If the weights were the same color as the rest of the head I think they'd look AMAZING

3 hours ago, dasparks said:

Hmm. I'm torn on the look of these. Maybe just a little too PXG looking for me. I don't hate em, but don't love the look. Do they make other colored weights, maybe just satin, to swap in for those black ones? If the weights were the same color as the rest of the head I think they'd look AMAZING

I guess you could spray them, but it would add a little bit of weight to each weight.

On 5/6/2023 at 6:56 PM, PNWSlinger said:

Are there any plans for left handed sets to become available? Did a search couldn't find anything about if/when. 

Not that I know of but it's been discussed for new product over the next few years.  Justifying the cost of tooling is tough with lefty models and historically with Edel it's lost money on every single lefty release (not talking limited edition stuff).  Large companies can absorb that hit but their products are the same quality so production is less expensive.  

I know it's not the answer you wanted but just being straight up with you.  With that said we are getting creative and there will be lefty stuff in the future just can't talk about it yet.  For irons, not sure yet.

Edel PROTO

12 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

Now you go me thinking, which is never good.  A little Testor paint on the 2 black light weights could look really good. 

People do that paint job on the PXG weights. Not a lot of people, but it has been done. Not worth messing with to me. I like the way the Edels look. The black weights are a nice accent. Plus, the weights being moveable by the golfer to noticeably affect performance is a big difference vs using them to set a swing weight and glue them in as PXG does. If you do paint the Edel weights and later move them, that paint is probably coming off. 

I could see Edel offering different colored weights in the future. Why not if there is a market? New Level has moveable silver weights on their Tri-Weight wedge. They do look good, but you don’t really even notice them. They’re all bunched together toward the toe, it’s not like the Edel design. I own one of the New Level wedges and when I took out the three weights, they all weighed 2 grams. So, good for swing weighting but that’s it. 

FC18C9D2-FCC0-4C27-964C-5D9ABB676E4D.jpeg.29a875c2b89933eb9b9cc7919f4c3618.jpeg

Can you get weights other than 2’s and 8’s ?

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

17 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Can you get weights other than 2’s and 8’s ?

Yes. Edel sells them in 2-gram increments from 2g to 10g. Very easy to customize swing weight and performance. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cheat code for the irons if you want max MOI, 626.  Been messing with this combo, also just fit a Latin American Tour player and he was shocked at what he saw.  1.5* increase in LA and 400rpm increase in spin.  

Weights kits can be ordered in packs of 8 or solo.  

Edel PROTO