The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Only carried 4 clubs

I should learn to employ this tactic. I always carry a full bag and sometimes more than the allowed 14 clubs if I want to test something on a couple of shots. But it also leads to indecision on some shots - like FW vs hybrid. I suppose if I actually carried the bag instead of pushing a cart, I’d have some incentive to reduce the load.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mshills said:

Have a tree crew here at the house today.  Two dead maple trees behind the house have been menacing my neighbor's house and I'm very happy to get them out of there.  It's Pittsburgh, and my lot is a high altitude point in our neighborhood, so our neighbor is behind us and down.  Very hard to get to, uneven, but the crew has this remote controlled smallish cherry picker with four hydraulic legs that can plant itself on very uneven ground and can fit in places hard to get to.  Interesting watching these guys work.

After they are done with those two we have two huge oak trees on either side of the driveway that are due for some trimming.  They're dormant now, so safe to prune.  I watch those guys rope up into those trees, man, I would not do that work for love or money!

Are you taking any photos of the skilled tradesmen at work? 

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

10 minutes ago, mshills said:

Here’s one, lowered to refuel smaller chain saw. 

IMG_0911.jpeg

Premium AI Image | Red spider posing on a white background

Thanks MS.

That piece of machinery looks like a giant red spider. 😄

• Haha 1

No golf for me today. Dang it. ☹️

Edited by touch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, touch said:

Premium AI Image | Red spider posing on a white background

Thanks MS.

That piece of machinery looks like a giant red spider. 😄

It sure does.  It is actually not very big and was able to squeeze into that back area in between the deck, hot tub, outdoor patio, garden, et. al. and do very minimal damage.  Pretty cool piece of equipment.  I missed grabbing a photo when it was fully extended....I don't like heights and that kind of work is not for me.

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

2 hours ago, Triple Lindy said:

I should learn to employ this tactic. I always carry a full bag and sometimes more than the allowed 14 clubs if I want to test something on a couple of shots. But it also leads to indecision on some shots - like FW vs hybrid. I suppose if I actually carried the bag instead of pushing a cart, I’d have some incentive to reduce the load.

Now remember this was only a Par3 course with the longest hole at 95 yards. But it is only 300 yards off the Atlantic Ocean so ocean winds are always a factor. For me it was basically a fun round for getting off my fat Francis and getting some exercise. When playing it I normally use vintage clubs and vintage wound and balata balls. Saturday for me was basically hitting fun little bump and run wind cheaters with the 5 iron and experimenting with 2 clubs. Back before I was hurt I used to play my old course walking with like 5 to 7 clubs. Loved the solitude because a lot of days I played in rain and the cold with no one around. And yes riding I have played some rounds with 15 or 16 or more clubs in the bag. My late friend Little Bear and I notedly had a spare bag on the cart with an extra set of irons and Lord only knows how many loose clubs. LOL one time we had a nosy tourist lady golfer tell the starter we had 3 people on the cart because there were 3 bags on the cart. He said oh that is just Bear and Stu with extra clubs and it is ok because they are full time members

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

36 minutes ago, touch said:

Screenshot_20231127-100715.png

51* here damp and the wind blowing so more than likely none for me either. We are expecting the next 2 mornings to be extremely cold as in below freezing. I was just out doing some chores like emptying the ash bucket from the wood stove, wrapping my outside spigot up and pulling the trash can up for weekly collection. It was damp and raw enough for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mshills said:

It sure does.  It is actually not very big and was able to squeeze into that back area in between the deck, hot tub, outdoor patio, garden, et. al. and do very minimal damage.  Pretty cool piece of equipment.  I missed grabbing a photo when it was fully extended....I don't like heights and that kind of work is not for me.

You ought to see the saws they use here to trim limbs off of rural power lines. They have a helicopter that has a mechanical arm on it with a chain saw. The pilot of course flies the chopper and the other guy runs the attached chain saw. Lots of skill involved for both parties.

@BIG STU years ago my wife got into a couples game and we were allowed three clubs and a putter.  I memory serves, I carried a 3w, 8i, and 52* wedge and I can't remember what she had but it was certainly along the same lines though she would have carried driver.  My wife, being pretty new to the game at this point was really nervous how this 2 person scramble was going to play out.  Our score wasn't appreciably different than had we employed all 28 available clubs.  I do think it is nice to have the options, but it really doesn't matter except in those spots where there is real trouble, like needing to hit a flop shot or something just to be close.

That's a fun way to play it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, touch said:

Oof! We got outta there just in time! 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ Edition

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 4-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

25 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

You ought to see the saws they use here to trim limbs off of rural power lines. They have a helicopter that has a mechanical arm on it with a chain saw. The pilot of course flies the chopper and the other guy runs the attached chain saw. Lots of skill involved for both parties.

I have seen those operations...can imagine just how difficult that is for both pilot and equipment operator!

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

1 minute ago, Triple Lindy said:

After over-indulging last week, I’m trying to get back on track. We’re hosting a party in a couple of weeks and have others to attend, so it’s mostly a losing battle, but the hamster wheel continues to spin.

I enjoyed a good salad and healthy portion of smoked turkey breast. I just couldn’t bring myself to throw away the skin, but because I cooked the turkey at such a low temp, it was rubbery. Decided to slice it up and fry it, turning it into delicious, crunchy cracklins - a perfect salad topper!

image.jpeg.c41a96d91a715d61e86349771b4654fa.jpeg

image.jpeg.fd52610f9e9895dd3aded7637544b3ce.jpeg

Yum. You Go DFW Chef ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, touch said:

It is 24* on my back deck. Been the same since I got up at 7AM. We have snow in our community this morning. Fortunately, the snow line is about 200" higher than my house, so we just have frozen ground. The forecast for the next few days is downright cold. Going down in the teens the next couple nights and highs only in the 20's for a couple days. Can't complain as it is has been mostly mild for this time of year.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, mshills said:

I have seen those operations...can imagine just how difficult that is for both pilot and equipment operator!

I never knew there was such an operation. Thanks guys.  

Edited by touch
  • Like 2

My wife makes me watch shows.  I don't watch too many sports on TV.  At night we watch these shows.  The show du jour is Suits.  I think it is famous because a princess is in it, but at first I thought it was pretty danged good.  She is a "binge-er" so we are moving right along in the episode count on Netflix.  But, here is why I bring it up.

They sure make NY'ers look like deceitful and unpleasant people.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sunbeltgolfer said:

It is 24* on my back deck. Been the same since I got up at 7AM. We have snow in our community this morning. Fortunately, the snow line is about 200" higher than my house, so we just have frozen ground. The forecast for the next few days is downright cold. Going down in the teens the next couple nights and highs only in the 20's for a couple days. Can't complain as it is has been mostly mild for this time of year.

Detailed Forecast

This Afternoon
Sunny, with a high near 24. West wind around 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.
Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 17. Blustery, with a northwest wind 17 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph.
Tuesday
Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny and cold, with a high near 20. Wind chill values as low as -3. Windy, with a northwest wind 25 to 33 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 13. Wind chill values as low as -5. Windy, with a west wind 24 to 29 mph decreasing to 18 to 23 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 38 mph.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 34. West wind 13 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 24.
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, touch said:

I never knew there was such an operation. Thanks guys.  

I saw one of these trimmers in action at Lake of the Ozarks a few years ago.  Very impressive.  

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

2 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

My wife makes me watch shows.  I don't watch too many sports on TV.  At night we watch these shows.  The show du jour is Suits.  I think it is famous because a princess is in it, but at first I thought it was pretty danged good.  She is a "binge-er" so we are moving right along in the episode count on Netflix.  But, here is why I bring it up.

They sure make NY'ers look like deceitful and unpleasant people.

I loved Suits - at least the first few seasons. I’m not sure how many I made it through and don’t remember why I stopped watching it - probably because of the delay between seasons. It was long before the princess thing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

I loved Suits - at least the first few seasons. I’m not sure how many I made it through and don’t remember why I stopped watching it - probably because of the delay between seasons. It was long before the princess thing.

... Yup, got me too. It was an enjoyable intelligent guilty pleasure night time soap opera. But I am a sucker for any show about lawyers and watch them in spite of their incompetence, irrelevance and immaterialism. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

7 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

Oh man - had my best round ever today! Shot a 3 over 73!! I know that’s just another day at the course for most of you guys, but it was a real milestone for me. Easily the best I’ve ever consistently struck the ball. The practice is paying off!

I think it was over in the Grille where a couple of guys were talking about solo rounds as practice rounds. I went out back to hit into the net. It was in the upper 40s but the sun was shining bright and there was no wind. I decided to head to a wide open nearby muni for a solo practice round and to get in a walk on a beautiful day.

Didn't start off very well, with a short hooky tee shot followed by a topped 5W that put me in the trees. But I was able to punch out onto the green to salvage a bogey. Then it started coming together. Birdied the next 2 holes and ended the front at even 35 - 3 birdies, 3 bogies, 3 pars - my own personal Triple Lindy.

Was 2 over after 13, but birdied 14 to bring a round of even par or better back into the realm of possibilities. Just missed a couple of par putts on the next 2 holes, so I knew I had blown my chance. Birdied 17 and thought I had a legit shot at an ace. Drew a 9i right at the hole, which was just behind a hill on the green, so I couldn’t see the cup. I was about 6’ from the cup - close, but not as close I thought. Hit a good drive on 18, but followed it with my only bad shot since the 1st - a topped 5W. Got my 3rd within 15’, but just missed the par putt, settling for a bogey to end the round.

Other than leaving several approach shots short, just about everything was working. Drives down the middle, irons well-struck, and only 24 putts. My bump and run game was really on, as almost every time I missed the green, I was able to nestle one close enough to the hole to save par.

Hope I can keep it going on the next round!

image.jpeg.c33d96638710b5a84c73e0a38924d798.jpeg

Hell of a round TL! I've never sniffed a 73. I've had one 76 and a handful of 78's and 79's but that's as close as I've come. Congrats!

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• GwrxMod changed the title to The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)