2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

2023 Cobra King CB & Tour

tdub526

6 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

The cb sole is a little thicker than the p7mc and the mb is about the same as the p7mc.  

they are surprisingly forgiving and carry distances were a bit farther to than my i230s.  That being said the tour almost had the same carry and I never really felt like a quite found the center.

In my testing between the CB and Tours off the mat, the Tours went a few yards farther, but like you, I never felt like I absolutely flushed any of the shots.  With the CBs, the good strikes felt REALLY good.  The below average strikes didn't seem to get punished significantly more than the Tours.

Went with a full CB 5-GW.  Supposed to arrive tomorrow.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LBB said:

Awesome!  The GW is nice, I just added one to my set (1º flat/weak).  Very happy with these irons.  Still trying to get a feel for the 4i, haven't practiced enough with it to be confident out on the course.

2 hours ago, msd71 said:

Would anyone be willing to measure the blade length of the 5-iron?  I'm looking for some very small headed irons - these look like they could fit the bill, but I've not seen them in person.  Thanks in advance! 

Not 100% how to accurately measure blade length but here is a pic

IMG_1943.jpeg.6e719ad20b55cfaa085c49ae85f5c257.jpeg

Callaway AI Smoke Max D 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Titleist Ts2 20 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g MMT 105
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

On 4/8/2024 at 5:09 PM, LBB said:

In my testing between the CB and Tours off the mat, the Tours went a few yards farther, but like you, I never felt like I absolutely flushed any of the shots.  With the CBs, the good strikes felt REALLY good.  The below average strikes didn't seem to get punished significantly more than the Tours.

Took these to the range off mats.  I was previously using the original Forged Tecs and I will caveat that my swing is in a good place right now.  While the FTs are great, I did want to take a step to advance my game and be more in control of the ball.  Also wanted to go back to that fully forged feel (MP-30s) I used to play 15 years ago before I took a hiatus with golf.

Let’s just say that I’m in love.  These irons are just awesome.  They don’t have the pure pop of the FTs, but that wasn’t what I was looking for.  I lost a few yards but the distance dispersion on my good hits are a lot tighter, where the FTs the spin isn’t always as consistent and you do get those heaters sometimes.  I also think with the tungsten, sometimes I get really high shots that I don’t expect as well.  The CBs seemed to flight more consistently.

As far as feel…they’re great.  I felt much more in control to hit baby fades or draws to big sweeping hooks or slices on demand that I couldn’t control with as much precision with my FTs.  I was a bit hesitant that the 5i CB might be out of my league and I should have went with a Tour 5i or even 6i, but no problems.  These irons are not punishing unless you really hit it bad…in which case even the FTs will punish you as well…just to a slightly lesser degree.

If weather holds up I’ll get them on the course this weekend.  I know off a perfectly flat lie on mats is very different from the random lies you get on the course which will really put the forgiveness of these irons to the test.  But for now, I couldn’t be happier and debating whether to order the 4i as well…when long irons aren’t even a strong point of my game…LOL.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity - I love my MIM Tours with Recoil shafts - are the King Tours a massive improvement over them in terms of dispersion and forgiveness for those that have played both? Visually, the KT's look so much more sleek and neat given the lack of branding on them LOL.

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver Kai'li Blue S

Callaway Mini Bertha 1.5 Kuro Kage S

TaylorMade Gapr Mid 3 KBS S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide

38 minutes ago, Nudgster said:

I went from Mizuno 223 and 225 combo set to the KIng Tours. These are absolute ligitness!

I am playing the 223. Can you give me a comparaison? Im looking for a touch more forgiving…

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

9 hours ago, C_rad said:

I am playing the 223. Can you give me a comparaison? Im looking for a touch more forgiving…

I owned both (still have the Kts in backup bag) 

KT definitely more forgiving, longer, and feel better. 

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

On 4/10/2024 at 10:01 AM, AbSWFPGA said:

Any 243 comparisons vs the king tours? Have heard the 243 are more forgiving than the 223

243 and King Tours are about the same forgiveness-wise in 8-G.

The 243 is going to be easier to launch and handle mishits better in the 4-7 due to the head design and that they are chromoly. The faces are considerably thinner. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

8 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

243 and King Tours are about the same forgiveness-wise in 8-G.

The 243 is going to be easier to launch and handle mishits better in the 4-7 due to the head design and that they are chromoly. The faces are considerably thinner. 

I’m not a huge fan of 243s because of the flex face design Mizuno does with them. I think it actually makes their front to back dispersion worse. Your center strikes will be long but off center won’t get the same trampoline effect so they’re even shorter in comparison to your center strikes. AskGolfNut did this comparison on YouTube with KT and 223 and showed this to be the case.

They are so close. The soles are smaller on the Mizzys so if you are a picker that is a consideration. In hind sight I should should have gone with C CB's instead of tours though. The soles would have been much better for me than what I got. I have always loved the shape of the Cobra irons much more than the Mizzy, especially 8 on down. They dont have that Mizzy "shoulder" where the hosel and topline meet. I would say they also fee much better thank the Titleist T series. I cannot stand the T series feel with all that tungsten...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

3 hours ago, HeftyLeftyfromTX said:

I’m not a huge fan of 243s because of the flex face design Mizuno does with them. I think it actually makes their front to back dispersion worse. Your center strikes will be long but off center won’t get the same trampoline effect so they’re even shorter in comparison to your center strikes. AskGolfNut did this comparison on YouTube with KT and 223 and showed this to be the case.

I didn’t watch his review but I believe the whole point of variable face thickness, AI-driven designs is to be thinner where needed to retain ball speed on off-center hits. Mizuno is not the only one with face flex designs, especially in long irons. Every OEM has them. I honestly notice zero difference in dispersion except it is better because mishits don’t fall off as much. Zero number of unusually long shots. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 4/9/2024 at 12:09 PM, msd71 said:

Would anyone be willing to measure the blade length of the 5-iron?  I'm looking for some very small headed irons - these look like they could fit the bill, but I've not seen them in person.  Thanks in advance! 

Cobra CB heel-to-toe length is the same as the other mid size cavity back irons such as Mizuno JPX 923T, Ping Blueprint S, Callaway Apex CB. If you want a bit smaller that is the Titleist T100.

The only truly honest compact size CB current head I know of right now is the Titleist 620CB.

31 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

Cobra CB heel-to-toe length is the same as the other mid size cavity back irons such as Mizuno JPX 923T, Ping Blueprint S, Callaway Apex CB. If you want a bit smaller that is the Titleist T100.

The only truly honest compact size CB current head I know of right now is the Titleist 620CB.

The smallest CB iron right now is the Apex CB or 620 CB. Apex CB is smaller than T100 in every way. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HeftyLeftyfromTX said:

The smallest CB iron right now is the Apex CB or 620 CB. Apex CB is smaller than T100 in every way. 

Agree.  

apex cb, cobra cb, Wilson cb, p7mc, 620 cb are all compact cavity backs and similar in size. 

t100 is larger heel to toe than any of the irons above. More along the lines of jpx 923 tour and zx7 (thicker topline and sole) 

It was odd that there weren’t that many reviews of the cobra CB. I had them for a year and were some of the best irons I’ve ever had. Kind of regret getting rid

of them. 

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping Blueprint S 4-P, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

1 hour ago, mason82 said:

It was odd that there weren’t that many reviews of the cobra CB. I had them for a year and were some of the best irons I’ve ever had. Kind of regret getting rid

of them. 

The Cobra King CBs are not only the best of all the current players irons  but in my opinion they are maybe even the best irons I have ever played so why on earth did you even consider getting rid of them?

33 minutes ago, ARSM1932 said:

The Cobra King CBs are not only the best of all the current players irons  but in my opinion they are maybe even the best irons I have ever played so why on earth did you even consider getting rid of them?

Itch for something new I guess. 

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping Blueprint S 4-P, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

First 2 rounds with the CBs on the course this weekend and they delivered.  They are not magic by any means...my bad shots were still bad shots.  The 148 yard 8 iron I tried to hit a 6 yard cut shot only went 120 yards and into the water hazard because I chunked it of the toe...but it did have the 6 yard cut I was looking for and was dead in line with the pin before the splash...LOL.  Granted I don't think anything short of a SGI iron would have cleared the water the way I struck that shot.

The feel, control, and spin were exactly what I was looking for moving away from my Forged Tecs.  I had a couple of shots where I had to flight it down and take something off and it just seemed much more predictable.  Good shots felt so pure...slightly off center shots you can feel but I wasn't penalized that much more than my FTs would have.

Someone asked about the GW in this set.  I have always used the GW from my iron set and mostly use it for 80-100% full shots and some chipping around the green when I need run, but 80% of the time I'm chipping or pitching with my 54* SW.  I haven't gotten a chance yet to spend time on the chipping green to really test the GW and PW out yet, but I am hoping to this weekend.  One thing I didn't like about my FT PW and GW around the green was it did feel a little to clicky at times and slightly hot off the face to control the speed off the face and the spin.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LBB said:

First 2 rounds with the CBs on the course this weekend and they delivered.  They are not magic by any means...my bad shots were still bad shots.  The 148 yard 8 iron I tried to hit a 6 yard cut shot only went 120 yards and into the water hazard because I chunked it of the toe...but it did have the 6 yard cut I was looking for and was dead in line with the pin before the splash...LOL.  Granted I don't think anything short of a SGI iron would have cleared the water the way I struck that shot.

The feel, control, and spin were exactly what I was looking for moving away from my Forged Tecs.  I had a couple of shots where I had to flight it down and take something off and it just seemed much more predictable.  Good shots felt so pure...slightly off center shots you can feel but I wasn't penalized that much more than my FTs would have.

Someone asked about the GW in this set.  I have always used the GW from my iron set and mostly use it for 80-100% full shots and some chipping around the green when I need run, but 80% of the time I'm chipping or pitching with my 54* SW.  I haven't gotten a chance yet to spend time on the chipping green to really test the GW and PW out yet, but I am hoping to this weekend.  One thing I didn't like about my FT PW and GW around the green was it did feel a little to clicky at times and slightly hot off the face to control the speed off the face and the spin.  

When I got my Cobra CB's I did test out the GW around the greens and it did feel hot off the face to me as well. I use my 54 and 58 99% of the time around the greens so it's no big deal to me.

Driver: Cobra DarkSpeed LS 10.5° - Ventus Blue 6x
3W: TaylorMade Qi10 15° - Kai'li White 70x
5W: TaylorMade Qi10 18° - Kai'li White 70x
Irons: Cobra King Tour 4-5 Cobra King CB 6-9 Cobra King MB Pw-Gw - Modus 120x
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 TourRack 54 mid & 58 low - Modus 125 Wedge Shaft
Putter: L.A.B Mezz.1 Max w Accra shaft

I really wish I had found this thread sooner. I have really been struggling with my irons over the last year and had moved to the players distance to try to pick up some speed and forgiveness and it seemed to make it worse for me. When I first saw the King Tours I didn’t believe they would be forgiving enough for me to play but 5 rounds in and my irons have been the best they have been in a really long time. You know it when you don’t catch one clean but they fly anyways. Only place I’ve found that I can’t get away with missing is a little high on the face. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Max D 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Titleist Ts2 20 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g MMT 105
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4