2023 Cobra King CB & Tour

tdub526

Went into my local shop today to get a few swings with the tour irons. After 10 balls I was kinda disappointed. Although they felt great, I was having trouble consistently hitting the center of the face and ball speed and carry distance was almost a club shorter even with the jacked lofts. 

On a whim,I asked to hit the cb. Wow, big bump in ball speed and the smaller, less offset head just felt right in my hands. I went from 148 carry with the tour to a 159 carry with the cb. Most shots were center face and when I did stray towards the toe, distance dropped a few yards but I also had feedback that was muted with the tour. 

Now I guess I need to decide if the cb is the way to go. I’m kinda gun shy because I feel like my game is not consistent enough for the cb as a 10ish index. That being said I played my best back in the day with MP30’s that are a similar style cb.

Edited by tdub526
Spelling

Driver Cobra LTDx 10.5*
Fairway Metal Titleist TSi2 

Hybrid Ping G425 22*

Irons Fourteen TC-770 4-PW 
Wedges Vokey SM9 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter Bettinardi iNOVAi 6.0

I am a 9.4 these days and had no problem with the CBs. They are badass, and I ordered a set. 

• Like 1

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

2 minutes ago, mason82 said:

I am a 9.4 these days and had no problem with the CBs. They are badass, and I ordered a set. 

What shaft did you end up going with? I am currently using a modus 105 in fourteen heads. The stock $ tapers felt and worked the best for me…

Driver Cobra LTDx 10.5*

Hybrid Ping G425 22*

I’m looking forward to testing the MB’s with maybe a couple of CB’s at the top end.

The CB’s look awesome, hopefully more people can chime in with experiences especially feel wise 

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

I didn’t think about this until now but, there is always the old school Nike combo option albeit loft adjustment would need to be made to get good flow/gapping. Tour 4,5,6 CB 7,8 MB 9, PW. 
At least that would be my mash up…

• Like 1

Driver Cobra LTDx 10.5*

Hybrid Ping G425 22*

14 hours ago, tdub526 said:

What shaft did you end up going with? I am currently using a modus 105 in fourteen heads. The stock $ tapers felt and worked the best for me…

Modus 120s. 

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

Went ahead and ordered 4-PW CB’s last night. I can always add the tours in the long irons later if needed. Review to follow after a couple of rounds.

• Like 2

Driver Cobra LTDx 10.5*

Hybrid Ping G425 22*

Went to St. Louis Golf Expo a couple of weeks ago and dropped by the Cobra booth. I had been following the Cobra irons since 2022, but hadn't hit any.

Tried out the King Tour with a KBS TPI graphite 75 shaft, and it was super! Felt lively but delivered several consistent mid-high launches.

I'm 72, and dropped steel shafts about 18 months ago. I sense the Tours are in same niche as Ping i210s. Out of hand, most fitters would say both are "too much club" for me. But with lighter shafts, both launch well and allow me to swing on tempo.

Golf Digest Hot List referred to King Tour as "a player's iron everyday golfers can hit."

OP probably wants to go with CB, but some of us average guys should consider King Tour.

• Like 3

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

5 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Went to St. Louis Golf Expo a couple of weeks ago and dropped by the Cobra booth. I had been following the Cobra irons since 2022, but hadn't hit any.

Tried out the King Tour with a KBS TPI graphite 75 shaft, and it was super! Felt lively but delivered several consistent mid-high launches.

I'm 72, and dropped steel shafts about 18 months ago. I sense the Tours are in same niche as Ping i210s. Out of hand, most fitters would say both are "too much club" for me. But with lighter shafts, both launch well and allow me to swing on tempo.

Golf Digest Hot List referred to King Tour as "a player's iron everyday golfers can hit."

OP probably wants to go with CB, but some of us average guys should consider King Tour.

I was there at the convention center as well. I hit the tours there but it was hard to get any feedback hitting into the net. I also tried the Wilson Staff D9. They both felt great. Went to Golf Discount on K and got on the launch monitor and specs were just better with the CB for me. That said, I can see swapping to the tours in the long irons.

• Like 1

Driver Cobra LTDx 10.5*

Hybrid Ping G425 22*

1 hour ago, tdub526 said:

I was there at the convention center as well. I hit the tours there but it was hard to get any feedback hitting into the net. I also tried the Wilson Staff D9. They both felt great.

Good job, you took the next step. Main thing hitting a 7i tells me: worth trying longer irons in set. If 7i doesn't work strike it from short list.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I've had a set of the Cobra MB / CBs in the older black model (multiple sets of CB / MB mix and one set of all MB), newer black model, but haven't tried these yet. I can't wait to give them a whirl but, have never heard someone magically missing the middle of one iron head type and immediately striping it in a less forgiving head unless there were different shafts involved or a slower swing with better tempo / mechanics was utilized. 

If it's one thing I've learned after all this time, its to make sure you get fitted for the shaft as best as possible vice the head (which still obviously makes an impact) if you're deadset on using the MB for 7-P and CB or Tour for 4-6. I think you'd be surprised at how much the shaft matters with your ability to find the middle of the club face. Stock shaft for all of these models is $-Taper which, I personally can't stand and think feels horrible. For the Cobra irons, I show preference to PX 6.0 or C-Taper S. It makes a world of difference.

Hope you guys enjoy your sets. Cobra never misses with the irons. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:00 PM, tdub526 said:

Went into my local shop today to get a few swings with the tour irons. After 10 balls I was kinda disappointed. Although they felt great, I was having trouble consistently hitting the center of the face and ball speed and carry distance was almost a club shorter even with the jacked lofts. 

On a whim,I asked to hit the cb. Wow, big bump in ball speed and the smaller, less offset head just felt right in my hands. I went from 148 carry with the tour to a 159 carry with the cb. Most shots were center face and when I did stray towards the toe, distance dropped a few yards but I also had feedback that was muted with the tour. 

Now I guess I need to decide if the cb is the way to go. I’m kinda gun shy because I feel like my game is not consistent enough for the cb as a 10ish index. That being said I played my best back in the day with MP30’s that are a similar style cb.

I had the exact opposite experience, 7 iron Cobra Tour was going 165-172 consistently. I hit the Cobra CB and it was around 157-162 yards carry with more spin. Definitely less forgiving and lower ball speeds than the King Tour irons. 

• Like 2
Ping G25 / Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60
Ping G25 3 Wood
Ping Anser 23 Degrees
Srixon Z745 / DG S300
Odyssey WHP V-Line
Cleveland 588 Forged 50, 54, 60

17 minutes ago, joeyjoey104 said:

I had the exact opposite experience, 7 iron Cobra Tour was going 165-172 consistently. I hit the Cobra CB and it was around 157-162 yards carry with more spin. Definitely less forgiving and lower ball speeds than the King Tour irons. 

What shafts did you fit into? The stock option ended up best for me…

Driver Cobra LTDx 10.5*

Hybrid Ping G425 22*

2 hours ago, joeyjoey104 said:

I don't see a CB available in the 7i?  Only a 6i at 30*.  The 7i is the MB at 34* which is 2* weaker than the Tour 7i at 32*.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

3 hours ago, joeyjoey104 said:

Agree with this. I have the King Tour irons bent 2* weak and they are still long. I would expect the CB's to spin a little more than the Tours even at equivalent lofts. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

4 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

I don't see a CB available in the 7i?  Only a 6i at 30*.  The 7i is the MB at 34* which is 2* weaker than the Tour 7i at 32*.

You can get a full set 4-G with any of the heads. On the site it gives you the options under set configuration. They had all three heads for fitting when I saw them. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

3 hours ago, cw1209 said:

Agree with this. I have the King Tour irons bent 2* weak and they are still long. I would expect the CB's to spin a little more than the Tours even at equivalent lofts. 

Have you had the Tours out for many rounds? How are they playing?

This cobra release is pretty spectacular! I only hit about 5 shots with the cb and it is one of the best feeling irons I’ve hit in quite a while.  So soft!  And the sole design makes it feel so smooth.

• Like 3

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

11 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Have you had the Tours out for many rounds? How are they playing?

Very recent addition to the bag. Only range and launch monitor so far. Making my way through a winter overhaul. A lot of Cobra for me this year.

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

On 2/27/2023 at 10:22 AM, joeyjoey104 said:

Hit them both last night - I also found the King Tour to have higher ball speed and tighter dispersion... although I thought the CB's were pretty forgiving as well.   They blend incredibly well together also, probably the best I've seen this year.

• Like 2

Keep thinking about a combo set of cb’s and tours…

• Like 1

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Picked up the King Tours (4-PW) a couple weeks ago. Had a set of the LAGP L-Series 120g (stiff) shafts installed aas I have been using these for almost a year now. I've been playing the i230s with LAGP shaft as well the last 4 months.

Overall the King Tours feel incredible. I mean, not even the PXG 0311T Gen 5 can compare to the buttery smooth feeling of these strikes. The flight is high and spin is slightly up from the i230s (2-300 rpm). 

I took the Tours out this last Sunday when the range was closed and it was a (California) Freezing 48 degrees. I just hit them like crap. I chocked it up to no warm up and just not caring much that day. I did like the turf interaction noticeably more than the i230s as I don't dig a ton. 

Overall, the head shapes of these irons may be my favorite I've ever seen. Mostly in the short irons, they just look great!

Specs below:

King Tour 4-PW

LAGP L-Series 120 4(stiff)

Swing weight d3-d1 progressive

1/4 inch long

1 degree weak

I plan to get these out again a couple times this week and will report back as I get more time. Knocking the i230s out of the bag will be tough. I had no intention to buy another set of irons this year, right up to the point in which I hit the King Tours in the store. And, well, here we are 🤷‍♂️ 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

PING G430 Max 9* • Tensei 1K Pro Orange 6S
PING G430 3 Wood • Tensei 1K Pro Blue 7S
Titleist TSR2 3 Hybrid • Tensei 1K Hybrid 80S

T200 4 Iron • Hzrdus 6.0

PING Blueprint S 5-PW • AWT 2.0 X

Vokey 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.08M • DG TI S400 Onyx

Odyssey 2-Ball Eleven • BGT Stability Tour

13 hours ago, Kitchen said:

Picked up the King Tours (4-PW) a couple weeks ago. Had a set of the LAGP L-Series 120g (stiff) shafts installed aas I have been using these for almost a year now. I've been playing the i230s with LAGP shaft as well the last 4 months.

Overall the King Tours feel incredible. I mean, not even the PXG 0311T Gen 5 can compare to the buttery smooth feeling of these strikes. The flight is high and spin is slightly up from the i230s (2-300 rpm). 

I took the Tours out this last Sunday when the range was closed and it was a (California) Freezing 48 degrees. I just hit them like crap. I chocked it up to no warm up and just not caring much that day. I did like the turf interaction noticeably more than the i230s as I don't dig a ton. 

Overall, the head shapes of these irons may be my favorite I've ever seen. Mostly in the short irons, they just look great!

Specs below:

King Tour 4-PW

LAGP L-Series 120 4(stiff)

Swing weight d3-d1 progressive

1/4 inch long

1 degree weak

I plan to get these out again a couple times this week and will report back as I get more time. Knocking the i230s out of the bag will be tough. I had no intention to buy another set of irons this year, right up to the point in which I hit the King Tours in the store. And, well, here we are 🤷‍♂️ 😂

I feel you.  It’s hard to not want more with so many good options out there.  Although your all Ping bag is pretty sick at the moment.

What sets the i230 apart from most irons is the consistent flight window and spin I keep seeing…. Over and over and over again.

I’m also seeing the same with the king tours that does not get mentioned as often.  The MIM’s were the same.  I kept noticing really good ball speed, but the consistency in distance and spin was incredible.  The King Tours seem to be following that same trend.  Pretty unique iron that will not get as much attention as it deserves.

• Like 1

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

13 hours ago, wam78 said:

Keep thinking about a combo set of cb’s and tours…

I’m tellin’ ya. Best Cobra lineup in years. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I’m tellin’ ya. Best Cobra lineup in years. 

Agree 💯%!

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

I ordered a couple long irons in the Tour model. I think they will blend well. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X