2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2023 Cobra King CB & Tour

tdub526

8 hours ago, SvenS3 said:

I hit the CB just fine. Couldn't hit it any better. I normally don't have issues with 5/6 Irons. But I saw what the zx5 was capable of in the 5/6 Irons in terms of forgiveness or I should better say in terms of yardage drop off. That was amazing.

And that is what I'm looking for. If the Tour isn't a ton of help I would go CB all the way.

I read that the Tour is smaller (Topline and sole) than the CB and the Mizuno 223. Is this true? Always thought the CB is smaller than the Tour.

I had the 223 in the fitting as well, and it was definitely smaller in the Topline than the CB.

The King Tour is definitely larger than the CB. Not by a lot, but it is. They both have medium top lines, call it on the thin side of the medium spectrum, which I actually look for in an iron. The CBs are pretty sweet. Some players hit the CBs longer than the Tours. 

The Tour overall is much more like a ZX7. I see it as a similar forged iron with a little more help due to more weight redistributed due to the slot/polymer insert. For me the Tour did test better than the 223, maybe because I felt more confidence looking down at the Tour. Something about the shape, I like how it looks. 

The ZX5 is going to bring more firepower with a thin steel insert face welded to a forged body. The Tour will not be the same in ball speed, particularly across the face. The King Tours have a more pleasant feel to me, more of that forged iron strike, but the ZX5 also feels fine to me, firmer and solid, feels fast and powerful. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I ordered a Set 5-6 Tour and 7-Pw in the CB. We will see how it goes

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS 9* Tensei AV Raw white 60 S
Fairway: Callaway Paratem Triple Diamond 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

DI: Titleist U500 23* HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 6.0
Irons: Titleist T100 5-Gap Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges: Taylormade Hi Toe 54/60 Project X LZ 6.5
Putter: Odyssey O Works 7
Ball: Vice Pro

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize Teams

I played my first round with the tours yesterday. Coming from original zx7s, these are a good amount more forgiving and feel great. I haven’t played much golf lately and bought these because I was looking for some more forgiveness, without the club head looking huge. Reading the reviews really made me want to try them, and never owning a cobra club before I had no idea what to expect. Ended up playing 27 yesterday because I was just loving these irons. Probably the best iron ball striking day I’ve had haha. I do think I will have them weakened 1° because of my gap between gap wedge and pitching wedge but other than that I have no issues. I will post back when I have some more rounds and range sessions in.

• Like 3

WITB TBD for ‘24

Anyone strengthen the mbs by a degree and how did it look

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

More range sessions and two more rounds with the tours, and I am still in love. The only thing I’d change would be to weaken the lofts by 1°, other than that they’re perfect. The biggest thing I’ve noticed is how forgiving they are on a toe strike. I saw the ball mark on the face, and was surprised to be up on the green or around it. You do lose some distance, but not as much as other clubs I’ve played in the past. To anyone on the fence about them, they’re definitely worth a try!!! And if anyone has any questions I’d be happy to try and answer them for you. My set is 4-pw w/ KBS C-taper 130x

• Like 1

WITB TBD for ‘24

I am oicking up the combo cb- mb set today and they have normal lofts, may strengthen a tad

• Like 1

taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60

28 minutes ago, Morry said:

Gaming i230's....These intrigue me though

the sole seems a bit better for turf....hear protects the toe strike well....

already have alot of forgiveness, launch and spin from i230's 

what can I expect to see from these vs i230?

thanks so much for any insight

appreciated

Played both pretty extensively. To me the turf interaction with the i230’s was better. Seems to exit a little easier. The Tour had a tendency to dig and basically get stuck. I also hit the Tour’s significantly higher, to the point where it just wasn’t the window I wanted. But all in all two great sets and can’t go wrong with either just don’t think you’d gain much leaving the i230’s. Not sure there’s a better all around iron. 

• Thanks 1

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Played them both and liked both but loved the King Tours and they are my preference. Significantly better feel, better shape from address to my eye, not as bulky, not as much bounce. Also the better looking club IMO. 

I would rank the i230 as slightly more forgiving due to the design. The King Tour does not have a ton of tech, it is simply well designed — a straight-up forged cavity back with a slot milled out to lower the CG and a polymer filling it for feel. It helps on ball speed across the face but won’t help as much as the Ping. 

Through the turf I find is where the Tours shine. One of its best features.  Sole has a nice radius. Still has some bounce but not as much as the Pings and it does not feel that way. You can deloft these as much as you want through impact and the soles handle it well. The Cobras have a mid-sole — not thin or fat. That sole is a great width for wet conditions but it is also precise and better off firm lies for sure. I did not like the Pings off hard ground. The Tours have excellent stopping power. Also preferred them on partial shots. It is the more nimble iron, the club I’d rank as top cavity back of the year.

But if you need a little more help in various categories the Ping is likely to beat it in covering up misses. The Tours do cover up toe misses well and that’s really all I need. Pure shots with the Tours feel better to me than the same with the i230. Overall if the Tours were Pings I think they’d slot between the i59 and i230. 

This is just plan Excellent as a response

cannot thank You enough 

appreciated

one last ? for both last responses......would then the tour slot in between the i230 and the 0317cb as well on most metrics?

thanks

2 hours ago, Morry said:

cannot thank You enough 

appreciated

one last ? for both last responses......would then the tour slot in between the i230 and the 0317cb as well on most metrics?

thanks

Yes, in my opinion. I think it gives you a little additional margin for error on low or toe-side mishits vs a standard cavity back. A CB will help on those anyway but I would say the King Tour extends the area where you can get playable results. I would expect it to be about the same as the difference between the Cobra CB and Tours. I hit some 8 iron shots that were definitely and mostly on the toe and they were pushed a bit to the right but pin high. And they felt off center but not harsh. 

I have not hit the 0311CB but I have seen it. Beautiful club. To my eye I think the King Tour is slightly larger but don’t hold me to that. Have not compared them. 

Even Rickie appreciates the forgiveness of the King Tours. 😏 Fifteen top 25 finishes in 20 starts — including a win — is impressive. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

20 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Yes, in my opinion. I think it gives you a little additional margin for error on low or toe-side mishits vs a standard cavity back. A CB will help on those anyway but I would say the King Tour extends the area where you can get playable results. I would expect it to be about the same as the difference between the Cobra CB and Tours. I hit some 8 iron shots that were definitely and mostly on the toe and they were pushed a bit to the right but pin high. And they felt off center but not harsh. 

I have not hit the 0311CB but I have seen it. Beautiful club. To my eye I think the King Tour is slightly larger but don’t hold me to that. Have not compared them. 

Even Rickie appreciates the forgiveness of the King Tours. 😏 Fifteen top 25 finishes in 20 starts — including a win — is impressive. 

Right?  Everybody is talking about his putter.  Nobody is talking about his tee to green ball striking, which I think statistically is what is giving him his largest advantage over the field

• Like 3

I have two rds in, I will not be strengthening, ground interaction is awesome. I put vibration dampening in them. They feel fantastic, hit a few controlled cut irons that make you love the game. My set up is cb 4-6 , 7- pw in mb’s. I think they maybe half club less distance than my callaway cb’s. Mid flight. The callaways were really good as well, these are so soft but crisp feeling. Made mine .25 longer, the stock length is .25 longer than most. 

taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60

I’ve always been behind the times with irons. Took a 8 year hiatus from golf and this offseason swapped the mb2’s out for s59’s. After knocking the rust off I’m back at a single digit wanting to get back to 5 by the time winter hits. I’m really wanting to test the tours out asap and look at getting fit into a set. As a lefty in a relatively non “golfy” area I haven’t had the chance yet but a AZ trip in a couple weeks should allow that to happen. 

I used to be a blade/players cb only guy but man do the tours look like the best offering out there at the moment. And I’m not a cobra guy at all. Owned an amp 3 wood way back in the day but that’s the extent of my cobra relationship. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 7:10 PM, tdub526 said:

What shaft did you end up going with? I am currently using a modus 105 in fourteen heads. The stock $ tapers felt and worked the best for me…

I'm playing a full set of CB's and have the Accra iSteel Green 115 (swing weight heavier at d4), used to play the project x but have just found them a little harsh recently. These are a tweener shaft, stepped up near the handle but no steps from the hosel just below the grip. Interesting combo if you are looking to knock some spin off and have above average swing speed.

• Like 1

Driver:  Titleist TSR4 Speeder NX Green

Fairway:  Qi10 Tour 4 Wood + Oban Dev Reserve

Hybrid: Titleist TRS3 19 Oban Dev Reserve

Irons:  King CB 4-PW Accra iSteel

Wedge: Vokey SM9 50/54/58 Accra iSteel

Putter: Scotty Newport 2 Oil / Toulon Chicago

On 7/6/2023 at 5:55 PM, southpaw72 said:

never played or even came close to sniffing a cobra club for 20 years but put a full set of CB's in the bag this year. too good really.

• Like 1

Driver:  Titleist TSR4 Speeder NX Green

Fairway:  Qi10 Tour 4 Wood + Oban Dev Reserve

Hybrid: Titleist TRS3 19 Oban Dev Reserve

Irons:  King CB 4-PW Accra iSteel

Wedge: Vokey SM9 50/54/58 Accra iSteel

Putter: Scotty Newport 2 Oil / Toulon Chicago

They are way more forgiving than people think. Little shorter yes but thats lofts, more great from the rough, great irons

taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60

On 7/5/2023 at 8:27 PM, tyorke1 said:

I have two rds in, I will not be strengthening, ground interaction is awesome. I put vibration dampening in them. They feel fantastic, hit a few controlled cut irons that make you love the game. My set up is cb 4-6 , 7- pw in mb’s. I think they maybe half club less distance than my callaway cb’s. Mid flight. The callaways were really good as well, these are so soft but crisp feeling. Made mine .25 longer, the stock length is .25 longer than most. 

what vibration dampening?

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

I put backer rod or the real vibration dampners in every club. Bad elbows. I do believe with all the indoor golf everyone should  do it, costs nothing but really help

taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60

Alright fellas I found a king tour in the wild at the pga ss.(I’m a lefty) Was only able to try the $120 in it but really liked everything about it. Wasn’t planning on swinging clubs so I was in jeans and a potentially “slim” fitting long sleeve button down. All excuses considered I felt like I hit it decent on the sim. Only hit about a dozen balls but numbers looked like this 

Ball speed 118-120

Spin 5800-6100

Launch 16.5-17

Peak height 86-88

Descent 44

Really loved the feel. Now I guess I’m hooked but I’m not sure how to go about picking a shaft, I’ve played lots from x1000 to px6.5 c tapers etc but all in a variety of irons. I live in a worthless area for golf fitting so I mostly wing things. And I’m lefty…. While I’m on a little AZ trip I may get another chance elsewhere to try them but if you’re like me and a club ho and want to click add to cart now what would you recommend shaft wise?

I really don’t hate those numbers on the $120 but I love the flight I have on my ctaper 130x in a set of Honma TW-X but those are a bit of a hotter type iron as far as I’m concerned. I wish I could have hit them outside. Currently have ol trusty ping s59’s with px6.5 in them now with no real complaints. 

Edited by southpaw72
  • Like 3

DRIVER:  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

DRIVER:  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

On 7/5/2023 at 1:05 PM, Morry said:

cannot thank You enough 

appreciated

thanks

Putting an 8 Iron in play shortly to test

pumped

same shaft and setup as my i230 

interested in sole interaction and toe forgiveness in particular 

will report 

• Like 1

• Like 1

Enjoy ‘em.

They did an amazing job with the King Tours. I have a set of forged Fly Z+ which are one of the predecessors to these and the King Tours are a significant improvement. And I really like those FZs!

I have a set of King Tour 4-7 with CB 8-PW with $-Tapers. 

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach