2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2023 Cobra King CB & Tour

tdub526

On 3/28/2024 at 4:21 PM, Smokey227 said:

This post just cost me some $. I am in very similar situation. Currently playing 2023 t200 and I can not get the spin numbers in even the mid irons to the point where they are usable when it’s remotely firm and fast. Have tried the i230 but they have a little too much bounce in firm conditions. Been looking for something that is forgiving enough that they are playable, enough ball speed to help in the longer irons but enough spin to be playable. I think these are worth a try. 

JPX 923 Forged

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro 1050GH S
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

I had read all the reviews both here and videos online. I couldn’t find a set to demo local so I bit the bullet and ordered a set. When I first saw them I was a little worried that they would be too demanding based on the size of these heads. I have only hit them at the range so far but I am shocked at how easy they are to hit and launch. Feel reminds me a lot of z785s but with a sole that works better for me. 

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB

44 minutes ago, Smokey227 said:

I had read all the reviews both here and videos online. I couldn’t find a set to demo local so I bit the bullet and ordered a set. When I first saw them I was a little worried that they would be too demanding based on the size of these heads. I have only hit them at the range so far but I am shocked at how easy they are to hit and launch. Feel reminds me a lot of z785s but with a sole that works better for me. 

I hit the KT a ton in different fittings and STILL had the same concerns as you. This was the smallest head size and thinest top line I had ever gone to. After using them on the course and range for the past 2 weeks I get more confident with every shot and round. Best irons I've ever owned.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AbSWFPGA said:

Has anyone compared the king tours to the apex pros? 

Yes. I like the king tours more. The are cleaner to my eye. They are a little longer heel to toe. But not by much. 

Edited by QuigleyDU

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 minute ago, AbSWFPGA said:

Would you say the tours are as forgiving as the pros? 

I would say that they are very similar here. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 minute ago, AbSWFPGA said:

Would you say the tours are as forgiving as the pros? 

Tours are more forgiving in my opinion. Also feel and look better. I'm not a fan of hollow body irons unless they're in a driving iron. Unfortunately, King Tours have become a bit of a unicorn design. A non hollow body forged iron with some size and forgiveness that most golfers can use. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, HeftyLeftyfromTX said:

Tours are more forgiving in my opinion. Also feel and look better. I'm not a fan of hollow body irons unless they're in a driving iron. Unfortunately, King Tours have become a bit of a unicorn design. A non hollow body forged iron with some size and forgiveness that most golfers can use. 

Can also bring some heat if you want.

• Like 3

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Updating this thread. 

So I spent some time with the mb/cb/tour this morning

all demo clubs, all 7 iron, all with S taper 120 and stock loft/length/lie 

ball used was titleist range ball (not a prov) off mats, with trackman outdoors.

Started with the mb - this was surprisingly good and easy to hit.  Ball speeds were in the 128-130 range and distances were 185 190 yards.  Really easy to flight and had a great piercing trajectory .  Peak apex was about 115 which is a little lower than what used to seeing and I like it. Had one mishit that was thin that still carried 178 and got to 185.

next was tour.  I struggled with this a little bit.  Couldn’t find the center as easy and felt the toe dig in.  Left some shots out to the right.  None went left.  Peak ball speed was 127.  Distance was about 180-190.

last was the cb.  Very similar to the mb.  Spin and height jumped up a bit( which i don’t need).   Slightly harder to flight but not much.  A couple of shots did seem to spin up more and fall a little shorter. Ball speed got to 127-131.

i hit the cb and mb back and forth and preferred the mb.  It was felt easier.  I think part of it the thin sole works better for me, particularly of mats.  I do wonder if the cb would be better of less than perfect grass lies.

also a surprise was how well the 120 $ taper felt and worked.  My ss ranged from 95-101 and that shaft felt good at the lower range and stood up well to when I swung quicker.  

im going back for a full fit and going to hit the cb/mb against the i230 (gamer) and another iron to see if it was a one hit wonder or if I can replicate the results.

For reference I played a set of mp32 for a long time, took a break from golf, came back with a set of i230s and then had a golf wrx carousel of irons finally landing on the p7tw last year.  I made the decision to try to play the best golf I could this year and directed the p7tw for the i230s.  They are a good iron but I’m just not loving the experience of hitting them.  King tours were the next iron on the list which led me to the tour cb/mb.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Updating this thread. 

ball used was titleist range ball (not a prov) off mats, with trackman outdoors.

Started with the mb - this was surprisingly good and easy to hit.  Ball speeds were in the 128-130 range and distances were 185 190 yards.  Really easy to flight and had a great piercing trajectory .  Peak apex was about 115 which is a little lower than what used to seeing and I like it. Had one mishit that was thin that still carried 178 and got to 185.

next was tour.  I struggled with this a little bit.  Couldn’t find the center as easy and felt the toe dig in.  Left some shots out to the right.  None went left.  Peak ball speed was 127.  Distance was about 180-190.

last was the cb.  Very similar to the mb.  Spin and height jumped up a bit( which i don’t need).   Slightly harder to flight but not much.  A couple of shots did seem to spin up more and fall a little shorter. Ball speed got to 127-131.

i hit the cb and mb back and forth and preferred the mb.  It was felt easier.  I think part of it the thin sole works better for me, particularly of mats.  I do wonder if the cb would be better of less than perfect grass lies.

also a surprise was how well the 120 $ taper felt and worked.  My ss ranged from 95-101 and that shaft felt good at the lower range and stood up well to when I swung quicker.  

im going back for a full fit and going to hit the cb/mb against the i230 (gamer) and another iron to see if it was a one hit wonder or if I can replicate the results.

For reference I played a set of mp32 for a long time, took a break from golf, came back with a set of i230s and then had a golf wrx carousel of irons finally landing on the p7tw last year.  I made the decision to try to play the best golf I could this year and directed the p7tw for the i230s.  They are a good iron but I’m just not loving the experience of hitting them.  King tours were the next iron on the list which led me to the tour cb/mb.

Good stuff. It sounds like the thinner sole of the MB helped your ball striking. 

7 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Updating this thread. 

If you like the $ taper in the 120 gram, you should try the KBS Tour V in 120 X in your full fitting. I'm a similar SS to you and found the Tour V felt as good the $ taper, but better dispersion because it handles my high SS better.

Just now, HeftyLeftyfromTX said:

If you like the $ taper in the 120 gram, you should try the KBS Tour V in 120 X in your full fitting. I'm a similar SS to you and found the Tour V felt as good the $ taper, but better dispersion because it handles my high SS better.

Thanks for thinking of this.

ive actually play the tour v120x, 125, and am currently playing the v130 in my pings.  I struggled with the lefts at 120 and 125.  For me the tour v has a kick I feel like I have to time.  The 130s minimize that and are smooth, but are heavy and like others I’m getting old.

i will try the 120x in my fitting and hope to try the 125 and 130 s taper.

What’s turf interaction like with the tour?  Thinking of going full tour set but the soles have me worried.  P7mc is great through turf but has a tiny sole.   Do the tours get out of the turf easily?

TM Stealth 9 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degrees 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degrees

TM P7MC 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

12 hours ago, JLP_GOLF said:

What’s turf interaction like with the tour?  Thinking of going full tour set but the soles have me worried.  P7mc is great through turf but has a tiny sole.   Do the tours get out of the turf easily?

These go through the turf good.  I’ve played the t150 and srixon zx7 and zx5 but, prefer these and have been playing srixons for the last few models.  These are also heaps more forgiving than the t150.  Haven’t tried the p7mc so sorry can’t help there

• Like 1

Bought the Tours in december and couldnt be happier. 

Im an OK golfer, single digits while playing blades or blade-like designs. Nike VR Pro, Mizuno MP64s etc but last spring I got myself a set of i230. 

Im a sweeper that is -4 aoa on a good day and the i230 just demanded too much to get it into the air. Bounce was fine in wet conditions but anything else was just too firm. 

This time around I told myself that golf isnt hitting from a bay so I ditched the MBs and CBs even if the numbers was fantastic. Matts are one thing, real golf another. 

Glad I did as the tour are fanastic. High apex, more spin than i230/T150 for me. Low bounce to play in firm conditions, sole a touch wider than T150 and just enough to glide thru the turf in wet conditions. Feels way better than i230 imo. 

I made my best round ever on my first round this year in wet conditions with the cobra tours. 

couldnt be happier. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brokensticks said:

Bought the Tours in december and couldnt be happier. 

Im an OK golfer, single digits while playing blades or blade-like designs. Nike VR Pro, Mizuno MP64s etc but last spring I got myself a set of i230. 

Im a sweeper that is -4 aoa on a good day and the i230 just demanded too much to get it into the air. Bounce was fine in wet conditions but anything else was just too firm. 

This time around I told myself that golf isnt hitting from a bay so I ditched the MBs and CBs even if the numbers was fantastic. Matts are one thing, real golf another. 

Glad I did as the tour are fanastic. High apex, more spin than i230/T150 for me. Low bounce to play in firm conditions, sole a touch wider than T150 and just enough to glide thru the turf in wet conditions. Feels way better than i230 imo. 

I made my best round ever on my first round this year in wet conditions with the cobra tours. 

couldnt be happier. 

Sweeper with -4 AOA? That is perfect for irons and by no means a sweeper..

• Like 3

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

as silly as it sounds the one review i cant shake is the TXG with matt hitting the entire line up outside. i have a similar swing speed to him (quicker in transition) and remember he didn't get along with the tours but hit the CB and MB much better and I think the CB even further than the King Tour.  Of couse rickie putting these in the bag as well as the high praise almost everywhere else says A LOT.  Leave it to me to find the one questionable review and dwell on it lol.  just have to pull the trigger on the KTours

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

2 hours ago, JLP_GOLF said:

as silly as it sounds the one review i cant shake is the TXG with matt hitting the entire line up outside. i have a similar swing speed to him (quicker in transition) and remember he didn't get along with the tours but hit the CB and MB much better and I think the CB even further than the King Tour.  Of couse rickie putting these in the bag as well as the high praise almost everywhere else says A LOT.  Leave it to me to find the one questionable review and dwell on it lol.  just have to pull the trigger on the KTours

It’s not silly.  But it’s impossible for anyone to answer for you. You are just going to have to hit them.

Go into any of the longer iron threads over the last couple years and you are going to see differing opinions. ZX7, people either love or hate the sole,  Not a lot of middle ground. I230 you have people that love the turf interaction and some that call them shovels. T150 is the same.

For me I am pretty steep and have always got along with pings very well until I moved somewhere that I play really firm tight Bermuda all the time and have struggled with the bounce. 

For me, these have the width of ping i230 but without the bounce. It’s why I decided to try them because I felt like it was the perfect compromise for my swing. If you have struggled with irons with a thicker sole you may not like them as well. 

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB

2 hours ago, JLP_GOLF said:

I tested the mb/cb and tour on two occasions now (both off mats).  I got more consistent strike location and better numbers with cb/mb than the tour in 9 and 7 irons.  I would consider the tour for the 4 iron.  Sole width is part of the reason and I think shorter heel to toe length helps me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I tested the mb/cb and tour on two occasions now (both off mats).  I got more consistent strike location and better numbers with cb/mb than the tour in 9 and 7 irons.  I would consider the tour for the 4 iron.  Sole width is part of the reason and I think shorter heel to toe length helps me.

These are the exact type of experiences that worry me.  I hit king tour of mats great but also love the look of the CB and truly want that one.  Sole on KT is so much chunkier than my P7mc but I really did mash them in store 

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

1 minute ago, JLP_GOLF said:

These are the exact type of experiences that worry me.  I hit king tour of mats great but also love the look of the CB and truly want that one.  Sole on KT is so much chunkier than my P7mc but I really did mash them in store 

The cb sole is a little thicker than the p7mc and the mb is about the same as the p7mc.  

they are surprisingly forgiving and carry distances were a bit farther to than my i230s.  That being said the tour almost had the same carry and I never really felt like a quite found the center.

30 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

The cb sole is a little thicker than the p7mc and the mb is about the same as the p7mc.  

they are surprisingly forgiving and carry distances were a bit farther to than my i230s.  That being said the tour almost had the same carry and I never really felt like a quite found the center.

Interesting you had the KT and CB going the same distances even with KT having stronger lofts.  I’d weaken them, was hitting too far in stores.  P7mc is demanding and making some swing changes so not sure I’ll stick with them.  Feel like I just need to go full set KT

• Like 1

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

I think it's really interesting how many times the i230 come up in multiple threads when also discussing the king tours. The i230 was my top option after getting fit with the Cobra's being an extremely close second. After further testing I could not be more confident in choosing the Cobra's for how my swing is. 

I am very much a sweeper of the ball and hit it a groove low too often. The King Tours still produce very playable height and spin. 

• Like 1