What next for Ping in their irons?

swingtingz

On 3/24/2023 at 1:14 PM, ColinKelvin said:

I'm probably in the minority but I'd like to see an Eye 2 release with modern lofts and conforming but spinny modern grooves. That would be fun. EYE 23 anyone? 

Eye2 irons are conforming under the groove rule.  Well, in the USA, that is.  This is (still) due to the litigation settlement with Ping and the USGA.  They can even be used in the US Amateur, just not Tour competitions.

Side note, Eye2+, +no+, and Eye2 Dot do not meet the groove rule.

As for the lofts....  do y'all *really* need to have your 40* club say "9" on the sole instead of "8"?  LOL

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 3/25/2023 at 6:04 AM, Wooderson said:

Maltby has finished measuring the i230. The i525 and i230 are so close in MOI, c dimension, and vcog that without a doubt there is little between them except sound, looks, feel, and maybe more pop off the face. In fact the i525 has a higher cog, shorter c dimension, and less MOI but only by a hair.  

I would love to see the heel to toe measurement of each. Without measuring I say the i230 is 79mm and the i525 80mm in the 7 iron. 

Ping is missing out without a true iron between the i230/i525 and g430. They need a hot metal pro competitor. 

The i230 and i525 7 irons are both a shorter blade length than the Arias D-23's I have which are 79mm. They are more compact irons than a lot of people realize, not much longer blade length than the Blueprint. They are just deceptive because they are chunkier than a blade like the blueprint. 

Edited by PowderedToastMan
  • Like 2

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

On 3/24/2023 at 1:14 PM, ColinKelvin said:

I'm probably in the minority but I'd like to see an Eye 2 release with modern lofts and conforming but spinny modern grooves. That would be fun. EYE 23 anyone? 

I wonder if it would be like the Eye2 XG wedge that were released around 10 years ago. It seemed like a home run idea. It would magic of the old Eye2 wedges lots of golfers had fond memories of, but with updated with modern technology.  They never really seemed to catch on.  I think sometimes our memories build things up to be greater than they were.  The clubs were great, the music was better, life was simpler, etc.  Well, the music was unquestionably better...

I think a full set of Eye2 irons sound fun. And they may bring fun for a bit for nostalgic reasons, but then people will quickly go back to modern clubs.

Edited by mantan
  • Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

On 3/24/2023 at 2:14 PM, ColinKelvin said:

I've been saying the same thing.

I never played the Eye 2 irons. I thought they were ugly. I am playing the G 410 irons now and I picked up the Glide 3.0 Eye 2 wedges. Man I love everything about them and they flat out perform. I see now why the Eye 2 design were so popular. I would buy a new release of the Eye 2 iron set. 

• Like 1

I’d be in for an Eye 2 limited run even though I’d prefer Zing2’s. I’d want them in the tumbled finish with original lofts. It would be awesome if they would take prepaid orders and go to production of older models when they hit a predetermined number of commitments. Call it the Karsten Project and make them in their US facility. 

• Like 1

Anything which goes back to the bombproof, utilitarian Eye 2 look, without all the badges and all the other colourful gaudy nonsense that Ping have been fixated with for years would entice me.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

7 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Eye2 irons are conforming under the groove rule.  Well, in the USA, that is.  This is (still) due to the litigation settlement with Ping and the USGA.  They can even be used in the US Amateur, just not Tour competitions.

Side note, Eye2+, +no+, and Eye2 Dot do not meet the groove rule.

As for the lofts....  do y'all *really* need to have your 40* club say "9" on the sole instead of "8"?  LOL

I'm in Scotland. I believe all Eye 2 iterations apart from the pat pending V grooved ones are non conforming in all R&A competitions and have been since the settlement. I'd also argue that although the U groove Eye 2s from the 80s are technically playable in, say, the US Amateur, this would be frowned upon and seen as unsportsmanlike, as it was when a certain Lefty used an old E2 lob wedge on tour. 

I don't really care about jacked modern lofts personally (I play weaker lofts myself) but those would obviously appeal to a lot of buyers. As would a brand new set of E2s with modern groove tech. An updated design classic which literally all levels of golfers can play and enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

31 minutes ago, ColinKelvin said:

I'm in Scotland. I believe all Eye 2 iterations apart from the pat pending V grooved ones are non conforming in all R&A competitions and have been since the settlement.

I remember seeing a *lot* of "refurbished Eye2 sets" in US retailer catalogs in 1999.  The story I'd been told was they were all from the UK (or other areas under the R&A), after their grandfather period expired.

That they're conforming here is interesting.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Based on the trademarks, it's a good bet that they're going to merge down the i59/iblade/s55 path with the blueprint path. They're going to follow the Titleist method with the T100, and release something that has the same head but different lofts.

They have S159 and S259 trademarked, along with Blueprint S and Blueprint T.

The strong following of the S55 has got to bewilder them, given how short they were. If you can take the feel of a blueprint, and merge that into the rough size of the S55, and then provide a strong and standard loft option, you have a winner. Branding aside, I think they only take one model name forward. It's going to have a 44 and a 46º PW option, as an example.

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Glide 4.0 eye 2 in 54 and 58 (59) feel soft and are incredibly reliable in every aspect of my pedestrian short game. That club in a full set would make me very happy. 

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

Ping seems to have made a miscalculation on the impact that the price of the i59's would have on their popularity.  Based on what I've seen on these forums, most people have never given them a chance due to the price being too high.  It was a very big jump in price from the iBlades they replaced.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback