2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Milled TaylorMade Putters

johnnylongballz72

8 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@knudson81 discusses these on the 'Club Junkie' podcast today.

Speculates that there will be customization options, via a 'My TP Reserve' (or similar) sometime soon...

For folks yearning for a B29 with plumbers neck (not sure how many folks want this?)
... how should we communicate this to TM in a coordinated fashion?
e.g. perhaps via the helpful GolfWRX folks i.e. @knudson81?

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/TP-Reserve-B29/DW-TA423.html?lang=en_US

Nice review - There may have been something wrong w/the audio, but I played it in the YouTube app and all was good...

Interesting comments about the weights, etc. I surmized it wasn't going to use the 'standard' TM torque wrench, so hoping if they're going to sell weight kits, etc. they'll include the wrench. At around the 25:15 mark, he speaks about 'foil' under the adjustable weight. This looks like lead tape to me? (WTF??).

This vid also confirmed 'stock' will be too light for my liking and I would likely go w/20g weights as I have in 'MyTP' Sotos.

Impressive and comprehensive review, thanks for sharing @knudson81!

Cheers, 

- Ian

• Like 2
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
:taylormade-small: BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

I was able to use a few of these TP models yesterday and here are my findings.

1. The feel of these remind me of a Scotty from way back when the milling was light. I’d say they are on the firm/soft side but it’s not a harsh feel by any means. 

2. I have a feeling that TM will make some revisions to this line to make it feel and look even more premium and compete with the likes of Scotty, Bettinardi, and Ping. As much as I enjoy TM products, I’ll stick to my Spider GT Max and Spider X for now but you never know.

3. Looks - the B11 looked fantastic. I really liked how it looked similar to the MyTP Juno I have. It also felt a bit softer than the insert in the MyTP lines. I don’t care much for the R branding but I have a feeling it may be here to stay. I’d like something with TP and then Reserve in smaller font and then maybe the model name below that to make it simple and subdued. 

4. They spoke of people remembering models of putters in their marketing video but besides the B11, I can’t remember another model name. I think it’s far too confusing for the masses, even TM loyalists. I think they’ll take their criticism and move forward with a revision of the TP line that’ll be what people were expecting from this iteration. 

Overall - Would I game one? Possible. There wasn’t enough to pull me from a Spider and move into something more traditional like I e used in the past. I give it a B+ overall. 

UPDATE: They’re better when you use your own ball haha! I had a chance to use one on a course and it was much better than in store. Planning on adding a B11 to my stable of Taylormade putters and possibly customize it. 

Edited by MerryTex

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 4-6, Z Forged II 7-9 - PX LZ 6.0

Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser 

Titleist Pro V1

3 hours ago, tarrantian said:

Nice review - There may have been something wrong w/the audio, but I played it in the YouTube app and all was good...

Interesting comments about the weights, etc. I surmized it wasn't going to use the 'standard' TM torque wrench, so hoping if they're going to sell weight kits, etc. they'll include the wrench. At around the 25:15 mark, he speaks about 'foil' under the adjustable weight. This looks like lead tape to me? (WTF??).

This vid also confirmed 'stock' will be too light for my liking and I would likely go w/20g weights as I have in 'MyTP' Sotos.

Cheers, 

- Ian

I listened to this too and have to be patient and wait for some sort of customization! As we know anyone on this site isn’t patient!lol! @knudson81 great pod and review! As a fellow big boy I enjoyed the part where you were referencing your gut might get in the way of a 39” putter! 

• Like 1

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

14 hours ago, tarrantian said:

Cheers, 

- Ian

Thank you! I will have to check the audio and see what is going on!

10 hours ago, byoshio82 said:

I listened to this too and have to be patient and wait for some sort of customization! As we know anyone on this site isn’t patient!lol! @knudson81 great pod and review! As a fellow big boy I enjoyed the part where you were referencing your gut might get in the way of a 39” putter! 

Hahaha! I knew at least a few of us could relate to these longer putter issues!

• Like 2

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

I hit some putts with these yesterday and they feel fantastic. Very solid, good headweight, nice balance and I like the clean simple finish

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I rolled a b13 for a bit today and was impressed - I think the quality is great, milling on the bumpers and sole makes it feel premium, and the slightly firmer feel is different than a lot of putters on the market even if the styling is not differentiated.

I still game a Scotty Hollywood which to me is firmer than the more recent Scotty’s with the deeper milling (haven’t hit the current version though), and this is similar to my Hollywood, maybe a touch more click from the b13 which has a thinner topline. Nothing as firm as, say, the Ping Heppler blades which to me are too firm, just a little bit different than what I have had the chance to roll from other OEMs recent offerings. If they tweak the styling and/or add the rumored custom options, I think they could really start turning some heads. Either way, nice to have more quality options. 

• Like 1

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Anyone hear anything re: weight kit availability? Won't get in the bag without 20g weights replacing the stock offerings...

:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

1 hour ago, Scotty1140 said:

My prediction is that these will feel basically like any other milled putter on the market today and quickly get lost in the shuffle like most anything else haha

Maybe but they’ve nailed the looks, for me, I like the low key graphics and the shapes are spot on, and if they ever do allow a site dot customisation then they’d sell the proverbial ton.

1 hour ago, Scotty1140 said:

My prediction is that these will feel basically like any other milled putter on the market today and quickly get lost in the shuffle like most anything else haha

Possibly but for lefties they have all the options which is huge, I would have killed for a milled flow neck blade a few years ago as a stock option and now TM has 2 of them. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Anyone here gaming one right now? My local shop doesn’t have any nor my closest PGATSS. 

Titleist Pro V1

On 6/30/2023 at 8:28 PM, knudson81 said:

Thank you! I will have to check the audio and see what is going on!

Hahaha! I knew at least a few of us could relate to these longer putter issues!

@knudson81 Have you already hand these TP Reserve putters in-hand?

The milled grooves seem superficially similar to the SIK putters? 

Are the TM grooves = milled at an upward angle i.e. similar to the previous 'AGSI+' or 'Pure Roll' grooves? 

@tarrantian Weren't your previous myTP insert putter grooves = also milled at an upward angle?

image.png.f3f5e95fe205b54942459a7912c8f5ad.png

Edited by JungleJimbo

8 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Are the TM grooves = milled at an upward angle i.e. similar to the previous 'AGSI+' or 'Pure Roll' grooves? 

@tarrantian Weren't your previous myTP insert putter grooves = also milled at an upward angle?

I will reach out and ask one of my guy at TM to see if I can get a more specific answer on the grooves, but nothing was described as multi-angle. Here is the quote from the press release I got:

"TP Reserve has fine linear mill marks across the face with a set of grooves machined in at a specific depth to achieve optimal sound. The grooves are machined in the same linear fashion with strike location from top-to-bottom and heel-to-toe, maintaining the same sound regardless of impact location."

Out on the green I felt like the ball had a little more speed compared to the traditional milling on my Bettinardi BB8W gamer. Took a little getting used to but the roll is smooth and the feel is actually pretty soft and solid. 

Screenshot2023-07-18at8_02_24AM.png.e7d01619b3050c10e187de3d94429d2f.png

Screenshot2023-07-18at8_02_06AM.png.09bfb4dde073458f8941f8e2db140694.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Just now, knudson81 said:

I will reach out and ask one of my guy at TM to see if I can get a more specific answer on the grooves, but nothing was described as multi-angle. Here is the quote from the press release I got:

"TP Reserve has fine linear mill marks across the face with a set of grooves machined in at a specific depth to achieve optimal sound. The grooves are machined in the same linear fashion with strike location from top-to-bottom and heel-to-toe, maintaining the same sound regardless of impact location."

Out on the green I felt like the ball had a little more speed compared to the traditional milling on my Bettinardi BB8W gamer. Took a little getting used to but the roll is smooth and the feel is actually pretty soft and solid. 

The SIK putters have a small radial cut on the face to achieve their various loft. 

My guess with these is the groove are cut at a certain angle to achieve better roll if they did factor that in, was something they mentioned on a few of their inserts in the past. If just a sound reason that would be interesting but would make sense as it stands out. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

37 minutes ago, knudson81 said:

Can you ask your guy when weights/weight kits, etc. will be available as well - I won't buy until I have options (I still may wait for the 'MyTP Reserve', but would buy the weights now in anticipation).

Thank you @knudson81!!

On 7/17/2023 at 11:44 PM, JungleJimbo said:

@JungleJimbo The insert grooves on the TP series blades (Previous 'Copper' and 'Patina' lines) appears to have similar lines and if I recall the insert was meant to impart top spin as you surmized - @taylormade describes the science of 'Pure Roll' in the link below:

https://www.taylormadegolf.ca/clubhouse/3914-the-science-of-a-pure-roll.html?lang=en_CA

I believe they are attempting the same effect with the milled face. I attached a pic of the 'Pure Roll' insert as it exists and I for one have been a huge fan of this insert for years. Haven't hit the new milled versions but excited to do so soon.

Cheers,

- Ian

tmtppatinadupageinsert.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 2:59 PM, MerryTex said:

It does not appear that the grooves on these have any angle at all. It just looks like a solid mill into the face. I have posted some comparison images of my B11 and my TP Juno I customized about two years ago. Definitely looks longer due to the portions of the cavity and bumpers. At first, I though they were the same but after comparing them head to head, the Juno looks to be more compact. I’d say they are almost the same blade length but everything else makes it look like the B11 is slimmer on all areas including the top line. 

After being able to use on on the course with my own ball and on actual greens, I made the purchase. It persuaded me that much. I’m also a huge fan of Taylormade products but have also played gear from all the top manufacturers from Titleist to Nike at one point. The only ones I haven’t played are Srixon and Wilson, although I have him them in store. 

Let me know if anyone is interested in me doing a comparison between the two and my detailed thoughts. 

DSC_3526.jpeg.4acd889b860d4a1931e49c34380f0cd1.jpeg

DSC_3529.jpeg.f53665da25a15fdd4a8855374dc10bb8.jpeg

DSC_3532.jpeg.731ec5197c55aa0f7d59d18cf28ae701.jpeg

DSC_3535.jpeg.f4a5cf7aad26730f147cfa296ab469c5.jpeg

DSC_3538.jpeg.67e740b4a487f364cbe191ccaa6cc55f.jpeg

DSC_3542.jpeg.b3f82676faacd1224b8e7c3a526adf16.jpeg

DSC_3544.jpeg.3d9df892362e5bef5701555614d88fee.jpeg

DSC_3548.jpeg.1eb5ac933989abdb9ab9be85667b421b.jpeg

DSC_3551.jpeg.917418a12d7d26594066b39a33022bdf.jpeg

They're both beauties @MerryTex - Great pics!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tarrantian said:

@JungleJimbo The insert grooves on the TP series blades (Previous 'Copper' and 'Patina' lines) appears to have similar lines and if I recall the insert was meant to impart top spin as you surmized - @taylormade describes the science of 'Pure Roll' in the link below:

https://www.taylormadegolf.ca/clubhouse/3914-the-science-of-a-pure-roll.html?lang=en_CA

I believe they are attempting the same effect with the milled face. I attached a pic of the 'Pure Roll' insert as it exists and I for one have been a huge fan of this insert for years. Haven't hit the new milled versions but excited to do so soon.

Cheers,

- Ian

tmtppatinadupageinsert.jpg

@tarrantianthanks for your effort to reply. “+1” on being a fan of the Pure Roll (and agsi+”) inserts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tarrantian said:

I believe they are attempting the same effect with the milled face. 

I think the grooves are there just for some acoustic benefit akin to deep milling. I'd assume that Taylormade were wary of having a face without visible tech as that's one of their strengths with rack appeal. They're trying to appeal to their fanbase as well as those who game Bettinardi's or Cameron's putters but fancy a change or want a full Taylormade bag.

• Like 2

After testing this putter out on the practice green against my other one that I game, I won’t be keeping it in the stable. It’s a solid putter but I doesn’t beat out what I’m using. 

I’ll be putting my B11 up on BST soon. 

Titleist Pro V1

• 7 months later...
On 6/4/2023 at 2:27 AM, mitchie180 said:

Yeah i noticed that. Can't find one exactly like the plumbers neck he was using - though there's a bunch similar to what he's using in various models. Not cheap though - going for upwards of $~2900 AUD... That slantneck Spider GT with blacked out alignment looks particularly good to my eye...

See below:

i-img1200x900-1669632133zy80yl13696.jpg

i-img1200x900-1653729766icj4h1585343.jpg

i-img1200x900-1653729784mdhmeb251215.jpg

i-img1200x900-1669115383kmyz4z61556.jpg

i-img1200x1198-1678966858eq0ehe203016.jpg

i-img640x480-1682601440mk8eju130579.jpg

i-img640x480-1685625927ajmurr37.jpg

Digging up an old thread, but does anyone know for sure if these Taylormade putters with the GSS inserts are legit taylormade, or are they aftermarket inserts?  I see a few on ebay and while they are tempting, something doesn't smell right.  

Cally AI Smoke TD 9 Ventus Black 6x
Sim 16.5 Ventus Black 7x
Titeist TSi3 18 Hybrid GD Tour AD IZ 85x
Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-PW DG TI 120 X100
Vokey SM9 50/54/60
TM Spider X Tour Stability Shaft

ProV1

On 3/17/2024 at 10:19 PM, shellbmb said:

Digging up an old thread, but does anyone know for sure if these Taylormade putters with the GSS inserts are legit taylormade, or are they aftermarket inserts?  I see a few on ebay and while they are tempting, something doesn't smell right.  

Aftermarket 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...