Putting Mats: Do They Help Improve Putting?

I had a 10ft mat but found I never missed a straight 10 footer. My best was 62 in a row and I'm not even a great putter. Too easy means it gets boring quickly. 

Now I have a 30ft mat in my basement and do x3 sessions per week during the winter. I'll toss a show on the TV and watch that as I'm putting. 30 feet is great because it's long enough that you're not going to make everything, and there will be a slight break no matter how flat your floor is. 

Bonus is I bought a dozen TM Stripe balls and just putt with them. It's stupid easy to see the quality of your roll with those. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
Ping G410 Plus 9*  w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

6 hours ago, Ri_Redneck said:

Short answer, yes. If used correctly.

1. Get a good quality one that is the same speed as the greens you typically play.

2. 10-12' max. Anything over that is too long for most rooms and your make ratio will statistically be lower.

3. Make sure it is set so the ball rolls STRAIGHT. It takes some work cause most houses aren't dead level.

4. Use it to groove your stroke and develop confidence that you can make those 4-footers with regularity.

BT

the number 3 point ruined my indoor putting mat experience. I was trying to work on my stroke to get the ball to run end over end using a sharpie line on the ball. For the life of me I could not do it. I tried different putters, grips on putters, my hand grip (claw, LHL, Traditional etc.), posture and could not get an end of end roll. Very stupid of me to not check this first, but I realized my hardwood floor was not level between boards (they all have slight bows from being older) and that was causing my wobble. I am still trying to figure out how/where to put it in my house where it is level. As soon as my course opened up and I started putting on a real green I was getting a end over end roll that I was missing over the winter.

• Like 2

I don't think there's great value in something that just shows you a line, like a mat. You need something to make it difficult.

In theory, you should be able to line up correctly (to the visible line) 100% of the time and as alluded to above it's too easy to roll the ball into a target that's 10-ft away on a perfectly flat surface. Plus, mats are often bent or difficult to lay flat when they come rolled up. They're a headache. 

I recommend a basic device >> the Pelz Putting Tutor (or some knock-off). These also show a line but the device promotes the gate drill. Rolling the ball through that gate (even onto regular carpet) is all you really need to be practicing at home. What's important is starting the ball on line. Reading the green and practicing longer distance speed is something for the actual practice putting green. 

image.png.45a503d5353954f40d56ece4a4aaa1a1.png

• Like 4

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

I have a putting mat, and I find it very helpful in honing my mechanics. I use "lined" balls to check my stroke, a chalk line, and a laser alignment device to work on aim and stroke. When I practice on it, I putt really well--particularly short putts.

I still need to practice touch and speed on an actual putting green, but the mat makes it easy to have several short sessions that keep my stroke tuned up.

I also have the PuttOut 8ft mat and pressure putt trainer. I think using these can really help you groove your routine, confidence that you're going to start your ball on line, and to a limited extent your speed control. For the other aspects of putting including lag speed and reading break, it does not help at all, and there's no substitute for putting on a real green for that. But, if you've got some spare time at home, putting on the mat can't hurt.

Edited by ac6

Yes it has 100% made me a better putter. I have the compact version of the mat the OP referenced, the regular version with the 2 different lines and 2 holes is just extra nonsense in my opinion. Like other poster mentioned, it needs to be set up so the ball rolls straight and true. I use it with the small Eyeline mirror and it has really helped ingrain what a correct set up is for me. If you can roll the ball on the intended line consistently, then it just comes down to speed and the read.

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-PW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 50-08f,54-12d,60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

I think any putting mat that has an elevated automatic return is only setting you up for failure.  A hole also robs you of seeing how far your putt is going past the hole.  

Putting pace is much more important than starting line.  It actually determines the line.  I would rather be able to stop the ball where I want it to stop than ram every put in.  If you have the proper pace, you virtually eliminate 3 putts.  Plus, if you have the right pace, the capture rate makes a hole bigger than if you were ramming it in.  So, you have more room for error on line if you have pace right. 

I would avoid putting mats and training aides that include an elevated return, and a hole or other implement that robs you of seeing where the ball comes to rest. 

Edited by Binson

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, GW - PXG 0211 DC

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - Bettinardi BB5 / SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

On 5/18/2023 at 8:41 PM, Binson said:

I think any putting mat that has an elevated automatic return is only setting you up for failure.  A hole also robs you of seeing how far your putt is going past the hole.  

Putting pace is much more important than starting line.  It actually determines the line.  I would rather be able to stop the ball where I want it to stop than ram every put in.  If you have the proper pace, you virtually eliminate 3 putts.  Plus, if you have the right pace, the capture rate makes a hole bigger than if you were ramming it in.  So, you have more room for error on line if you have pace right. 

I would avoid putting mats and training aides that include an elevated return, and a hole or other implement that robs you of seeing where the ball comes to rest. 

If you're worried about 3-putting from inside of 10-ft you have bigger problems...

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

I have the most recent version of the mat DJ endorses (Perfect Putt?). Mine has the regulation size hole and the smaller hole too. 

I think it's helpful, especially while working mechanics and speed control. The mat has visual cues that let you know whether you're starting and keeping the ball on your intended line. I use it mostly for grooving my setup/stance/grip. It's also helpful for simulating on-course pressure by trying to hole a certain number of putts in a row or doing a ladder drill. 

When I get to the course I want to forget all the mechanics and try to focus on my reads and hitting my target spots. That's a totally different mode of behavior. So ideally I'm able to leave the mechanics at home and trust what I've grooved through practice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msg said:

It improved my short putts from 7 feet and below. Repeatedly practicing putting from that distance gave me confidence in my putting stroke. It translated in real life for me. 

Definitely agree! The confidence of having prepared for something is a big asset. 

I think of confidence as the opposite of doubt. If doubt is always a bad thing (which it seems to be) then it's reasonable to say that removing doubt (increasing confidence) can only help. 

10 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I have the most recent version of the mat DJ endorses (Perfect Putt?). Mine has the regulation size hole and the smaller hole too. 

I think it's helpful, especially while working mechanics and speed control. The mat has visual cues that let you know whether you're starting and keeping the ball on your intended line. I use it mostly for grooving my setup/stance/grip. It's also helpful for simulating on-course pressure by trying to hole a certain number of putts in a row or doing a ladder drill. 

When I get to the course I want to forget all the mechanics and try to focus on my reads and hitting my target spots. That's a totally different mode of behavior. So ideally I'm able to leave the mechanics at home and trust what I've grooved through practice. 

Absolutely! 

There's no reason why everyone can't be doing a ton of that type of practice at home these days. 

And yes to the second part as well. Once you get to the green you just focus on doing your best: reading the greens and hitting your lines with good speed. 

• Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

On 5/17/2023 at 6:29 AM, bakere said:

the number 3 point ruined my indoor putting mat experience. I was trying to work on my stroke to get the ball to run end over end using a sharpie line on the ball. For the life of me I could not do it. I tried different putters, grips on putters, my hand grip (claw, LHL, Traditional etc.), posture and could not get an end of end roll. Very stupid of me to not check this first, but I realized my hardwood floor was not level between boards (they all have slight bows from being older) and that was causing my wobble. I am still trying to figure out how/where to put it in my house where it is level. As soon as my course opened up and I started putting on a real green I was getting a end over end roll that I was missing over the winter.

On a slightly breaking putt, a properly struck ball will still roll end over end, especially on a putt from less than 10 feet.

I struggled with the same thing, you must really check that you have the line on the ball really on your intended line, and two, you are not putting a slightly glancing blow on the ball.   I had problems with the first one as what I thought was "straight" for the ball alignment  was slightly off  center, and I had a tendency to slightly swing my putter inside out creating a very subtle "launch up and  to the right".   It took me a long time to get it right.  

Where I have my mat has a very slight break, maybe an inch from 6 feet, but I practice playing the break from both directions, and when I strike my putts correctly, it will roll end over end.  I like to use the Srixon Tour Divide balls for practice now and then, really shows how good your strike is when you line up the two colors as your aim line. 

I think my putting matt purchase several years ago probably has been the best "game improvement" purchase I have ever made.  I use it almost daily, even if it is for hitting  no  more than 10-15 putts (I have grinded out an hour at a time too), just setting up correctly and seeing some balls roll nicely helps me.....

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

52 minutes ago, Mike_C said:

On a slightly breaking putt, a properly struck ball will still roll end over end, especially on a putt from less than 10 feet.

I struggled with the same thing, you must really check that you have the line on the ball really on your intended line, and two, you are not putting a slightly glancing blow on the ball.   I had problems with the first one as what I thought was "straight" for the ball alignment  was slightly off  center, and I had a tendency to slightly swing my putter inside out creating a very subtle "launch up and  to the right".   It took me a long time to get it right.  

Where I have my mat has a very slight break, maybe an inch from 6 feet, but I practice playing the break from both directions, and when I strike my putts correctly, it will roll end over end.  I like to use the Srixon Tour Divide balls for practice now and then, really shows how good your strike is when you line up the two colors as your aim line. 

I think my putting matt purchase several years ago probably has been the best "game improvement" purchase I have ever made.  I use it almost daily, even if it is for hitting  no  more than 10-15 putts (I have grinded out an hour at a time too), just setting up correctly and seeing some balls roll nicely helps me.....

Good point, I definitely think my technique contributed but the hardwood underneath more created bumps than break, so I'd start with a decent roll and then it would hit a slight bump and steer off target. I'd then get frustrated and start cutting or pushing the putt to get it to roll over the "hole" on the mat, which would ingrain bad technique. Then I wouldn't have a good roll. So then I'd work technique to get a better roll, it would bump off of target and i'd repeat the cycle. There are ways around this and I plan on exploring them this winter so I can work on my putting, because like you said I think it really help improve my game.

On 5/18/2023 at 7:41 PM, Binson said:

Mine has  an elevated automatic return, and I hardly ever use it.   I think mine is 9 feet from the back to the elevated hole, but I putt more 4-7 footers to a spot, or to another ball.  The only way I use the elevated hole is to practice really short putts and try to hit the back of the cup, sort of a drill to to train my brain to not baby real short putts, which I have a tendency to do....

• Like 1

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

On 5/22/2023 at 8:55 AM, MelloYello said:

If you're worried about 3-putting from inside of 10-ft you have bigger problems...

Sure? I don't see how your comment is at all relevant to the content of my post though. 

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, GW - PXG 0211 DC

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - Bettinardi BB5 / SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

13 minutes ago, Binson said:

Sure? I don't see how your comment is at all relevant to the content of my post though. 

Well, from what I could gather you were suggesting that speed is critical in putting. 

Here's one of your quotes: "Putting pace is much more important than starting line." 

While that's often true in the case of long putts where we have to demonstrate distance control or in the case of extreme break where we have to demonstrate the ability to match speed to line (what I would call "touch"), no one would agree that speed is all that hard to master on short putts that are relatively straight--which also happen to be the putts that are most makeable.

If we're look at holing a straight 5-footer and you're going to tell me that pace is more important than start line I'd disagree. Most golfers who routinely miss that 5-footer (even ones with slight break) are doing so because they cannot roll their putts perfectly straight time after time or because they're misreading what little break is there or because they're pushing/pulling their putts. Speed is hardly the issue for these, which are some of the most common of putts. 

It's also true in that example that putts hit with 5'-7' pace will have no problem going in meaning the margin for error with speed is gigantic relative to the tight margin we have for line.  

That's my experience. Speed is important....when it's important

And since this whole topic is about putting mats which are usually no more than 6'-10' in length, we're mostly talking about short putts with minimal break. 

So while I agree with you that speed is important to putting, I think focusing too much on speed where it's not important is unhelpful. 

Edited by MelloYello

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

A big part of pace is being able to hit putts in the center of the face. Things like tee/gate drills to make sure your putter head is coming through the gates/tees without bumping them is a good drill to do on a mat that can help ensure center face strikes. I found it helpful to use gates on my big moss to adjust my setup and ball position to a point where I could consistently get my stroke to deliver the putter that way. 

besides for that I’d recommend trying to make sure you don’t just rake balls over and hit them without moving your feet. It can be good to practice stepping into a putt like you would on the course to make it as “normal” as possible.

54 minutes ago, pappaf2 said:

A big part of pace is being able to hit putts in the center of the face. Things like tee/gate drills to make sure your putter head is coming through the gates/tees without bumping them is a good drill to do on a mat that can help ensure center face strikes. I found it helpful to use gates on my big moss to adjust my setup and ball position to a point where I could consistently get my stroke to deliver the putter that way. 

besides for that I’d recommend trying to make sure you don’t just rake balls over and hit them without moving your feet. It can be good to practice stepping into a putt like you would on the course to make it as “normal” as possible.

Yeah, i bought Pelz putting tutor to help with this. I use it on the putting green frequently. I tried using it at home on my putting mat but it sat too elevated because of the little pin on underside. But it would be nice if it worked on my mat!

7 hours ago, MelloYello said:

While that's often true in the case of long putts where we have to demonstrate distance control or in the case of extreme break where we have to demonstrate the ability to match speed to line (what I would call "touch"), no one would agree that speed is all that hard to master on short putts that are relatively straight--which also happen to be the putts that are most makeable.

I disagree.

If you have a 6' putt that you hit one time 6'4" and the next time, 8'4", that's often a pretty different read (assuming it's not a straight putt of course).

There are plenty of people who have poor distance control inside of 10', and it greatly affects their reads and thus their ability to make putts. And all they seem to get is that they keep missing putts. They'll hit one a bit harder and miss it high, so they'll play less break then hit the next one softer, and it misses low. They aren't processing that the speed control is so variable (i.e. bad).

If we're look at holing a straight 5-footer

Right, so if it's straight, pace matters a bit less. Probably nobody will disagree with that.

Most golfers who routinely miss that 5-footer (even ones with slight break) are doing so because they cannot roll their putts perfectly straight time after time or because they're misreading what little break is there or because they're pushing/pulling their putts.

Interested to see your data on this. I think golfers are generally better at hitting their start lines than you think. I also think golfers generally don't aim for enough break, so they push and pull putts "up" the hill, too. And often when they hit one too firmly they'll say "ah, I pushed it" or something… when really the issue was their speed didn't match their chosen line.

Anyway, average golfers control the putter face to about ±0.9°. It's not much. And this is on a 12-footer.

So while I agree with you that speed is important to putting, I think focusing too much on speed where it's not important is unhelpful. 

Speed is the most important thing in putting. Green reading may be second… if only because most people are pretty good at controlling the start lines.

Edited by iacas
  • Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

Speed is the most important thing in putting. Green reading may be second… if only because most people are pretty good at controlling the start lines.

Yep.  

Not that it needs validating because it is so fundamental, but I’ll go with Brad Faxon as well who knows a little bit about putting - work on getting the pace right/distance/speed however you want to describe it. 

I LOVE my PuttOut mat and trainer. I've had one for a few years and somehow managed to slip out of using it...I think fatigue from using it so often during lockdown meant that for the last year or two it has generally sat gathering dust but over the last few weeks, I have had it out an awful lot more and I am definitely noticing the difference. What brought me back to it was flicking through some notes and reminding myself of how good my putting felt in 2018. I have a round in mind at a local competition which was open to pros and ams. It was not the windiest conditions I have ever played in but it was definitely top 5 ever. The two things that I wrote down from that day were the best hybrid shot I have ever hit in my life and my putting. There were so many holes that I had 6 to 10 foot putts for par and having spent so much time on my PuttOut mat I was so confident with my stroke and alignment that I was felt like I was just standing up to them and knocking everything in. I ended up making a stupid bogey on the 17th before birding the 18th to finish second with only a local club pro ahead of me. The only bad thing was that it was the last proper open of that season!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 15* Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Putting used to be such a foreign thing for me, but since I got a matt, I have come to enjoy and love it. I firmly believe that my putting is the best part of my game on most days.

I got a Practice Perfect matt, the green standard-sized one. I like the quality of the matt a lot, but as someone else had pointed out earlier, the elevated ramp to the hole doesn't help you with pace much. To shoot up the ramp on a 3ft putt, you are probably using equivalent of force/speed of a 6ft putt. The pace doesn't get trained. So, if you are just trying to figure out your stroke and get a relatively straight outcome on every putt, but I would say it's adequate. The smaller hole IS tremendously harder, and you really need to be spot on.

However, after I discovered the Puttout Pressure Trainer, that's what really got me significantly better. It requires you to putt straight AND has a good feedback on the adequate pace you need for the ball. Since I live in an apartment and not a house, and I like the Practice Perfect matt's quality, I use the Puttout Pressure Trainer on my Practice Perfect matt, so won't be getting another matt anytime soon. I also recently found a putter that I love and fits my stroke, so together with the Pressure Trainer, I have been making 150-200 putts a day. I have done 600 putts a day before. It's very addicting, and when you nail the "perfect putt" (where the ball sits in the hole on the device) regardless of by intent or luck, it feels amazing. For putts that don't roll off the side of the device, you know those would be lip-outs or marginal "makes", so I think it's a pretty responsive trainer.

I now love putting, and strongly recommend getting the Puttout Pressure Trainer. I have gates as well, which I do sometimes use. I'd say that a good quality matt is very important, if you are going to invest time and money on improving your putting (which arguably is the most critical part of golf). Get a top matt, not a cheap one. It will just make you even less excited about putting. At 4ft and below, I feel absolutely confident now that I will make every putt. I feel decently confident about 5 & 6 footers too. Of course, I don't actually make every putt on the course. But, I have that confidence, which has helped me make a lot more putts on the course. Still working on the longer putts, which will take time and consistency of course.

I have yet to try the devil ball (also by Puttout), but the idea of needing to bend over to align the ball everytime before I putt is kind of a turn off. For now, the Puttout Pressure Trainern (along with gates sometimes) is more than adequate for me. 100% recommend it.

• Like 1