2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SeaPines Golf Trip (er, family vacation)

Seattle_Maslow

Just got back from a family trip to SeaPines and had an absolute blast. I thought everything about it was top notch and would highly recommend as an incredibly family-friendly golf destination (even if your fam doesn't play). 

We rented a villa in SeaPines backing the 12th tee box of Heron Point (near the SeatPines center mall). The only complaint was that our villa was a bit tired, but it was one of the few dog-friendly ones within SeaPines so we didn't have a lot of choice. The location was awesome, we loved running the dogs at night on the golf courses (it's actually OK to do that, or at least no one yelled at us) and the bike paths make getting around very easy. It was a short drive to the beach, where we had parking at the beach club since we were staying in SeaPines).  We were very impressed with the food quality at the local restaurants and the ones at the golf courses (hamburgers a bit dry, but fish and other dishes were outstanding), and for a resort the prices were high but not painful. 

So, about the golf. I had heard very mixed things both here and at my club, but I loved it. Staying in the resort in peak (I think) season, it was $1022 to play the three courses (plus gratuity for Harbour Town forecaddie). 

I started on Atlantic Dunes the day after it got rained out (which is supposedly very rare). I did not play well for a variety of reasons, but would love another crack at it). Next round was at Harbour Town and I really enjoyed the experience. The conditions were fantastic and I found it to be just a great test of long, medium and short games. I played OK and still had a great time. Since carts were path only, I walked (the course is incredibly walkable). Then I played Heron Links and had the strangest round of my life (I know, nobody cares what you shot, but...). I really like that golf course, it's very fun...I holed a wedge on 10...pretty cool, then a couple bogeys until I stepped on the tee at 16 and dropped in my first ace, which I followed with a two-putt birdie on 17. I couldn't wait to get back to the clubhouse...even par on the back nine (with 5 bogeys...so weird). Everyone in the pro shop was fantastic, I got a 16 flag, a personalized plaque (which just came yesterday, only 9 days later). I played HT one more time and didn't get an ace but birdied 16 and 17 back-to-back. The 18th is indeed a monster with that headwind. 

If you're on the fence about going or playing in SeaPines, I'd recommend biting the bullet and doing it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In the market

We just got back as well. I promised my wife only 2 rounds, and Harbour Town and Atlantic were under aeration conditions/recovery so I skipped those. 

Played one round at Heron and one round at Chechessee Creek Club via a friend. 

Heron Point is fine, but there are some gimmicky resort holes that I despise (#9 I am looking at you). 

C3 was phenomenal. I am currently in a semi-joking argument with my wife over joining. 

IMO the best courses are the Hilton Head adjacent ones, not the Seapines courses themselves. I’ve played both Berkeley Hall courses, Secession, and C3 and they are all way better than anything I’ve played on the island. 

Outside of golf we had a great house, walking distance to the beach, and had a nice relaxing week which was exactly what we needed 

• Like 1

Currently in Sea Pines staying in a house on Heron Point #12 (what a coincidence) and longtime annual Sea Pines visitor.

We played Heron Point last week, and the conditions were fantastic. I'm a Dye fan, so I loved it. I've been to the range at Plantation Club (range for Heron Point/Atlantic Dunes) 4x—half the time I could hit off grass; half the time it was mats only. $12/55-ball bag and great facilities. Staff is always amazing. 

I played Old South this past Sunday on a $55 Golfnow deal. Great setting—only public course on the salt marshes of the Intercostal Waterway. The conditions were rough, as it has been aerated a few days previous. Greens and tee boxes were all sand. Staff was amazing, though. We voluntarily stopped after 9 holes, and they offered a rain check.

Will continue to stay in Sea Pines 2-3x/year. Amazing for families, golf, and tennis.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 9° (Ping Tour 65 Stiff)
FW: Callaway Rogue ST Max 3W 15° (Tensei Blue AV 65g Stiff), Titleist TSR2 7W 21° (Tensei Blue AV 65g Stiff)

Irons: Ping i210 4-PW (TT DG S300)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56.12D Raw (TT DG S200), SM8 50.08F Raw (TT DG S200), 60.08M Raw (TT DG S300)

Putter: White Hot OG #7S Stroke Lab 
Bag: 2021 Ping Hoofer Lite (Grey/Navy/Scarlet)

Personally, I LOVED that Harbour Town was CPO since it keeps the course nice and almost encourages walking. Nothing worse than playing a bucket list golf course (to me) and speeding through it on a golf cart. I thought HT was a bit overpriced for what it was but I am glad I played it once. Some of the best par 3s I have ever seen in my life. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

We stayed in a condo on the 9th tee at Atlantic Dunes in May. Didn’t play, but walked a few holes after play was done for the day, and the conditions were really good. We ate at both clubhouses in Sea Pines, and the food was very good. Spent quite a bit of time sitting on the balcony, and saw a lot of guys playing from the wrong tees. The play had a pretty good flow to it, so they must do a good job of spacing tee times, and keeping a good pace.

I've only played Heron Point out there - several years ago and decidedly off-season. I think I payed $60. It was fantastic. Such a fun course.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

28 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I think it was $250 when we were down there. Atlantic Dunes was $270, and Harbour Town was $470. 

Yeah, the do think very highly of their courses around there.

I honestly can't remember how I got the rate I did (off-season, late in the day, etc.) - but I'm a cheap bastxxx - so I know I wouldn't have been out there if the price hadn't been what I consider reasonable.

But, of course, they did charge me $5 just to drive onto the property, and I was plagued by sales calls for years. So I guess it evened out.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 hour ago, jholz said:

Yeah, the do think very highly of their courses around there.

I honestly can't remember how I got the rate I did (off-season, late in the day, etc.) - but I'm a cheap bastxxx - so I know I wouldn't have been out there if the price hadn't been what I consider reasonable.

But, of course, they did charge me $5 just to drive onto the property, and I was plagued by sales calls for years. So I guess it evened out.

I join you in your cheapness! I would have loved to play, but I won’t pay that much. I hit balls a few times, and didn’t really mind talking a week off. Did a lot of beach walking, and bike riding.

• Like 1

I rented a house in SeaPines and played Harbour Town on Memorial Day. Had the 1st tee time of the day, it was great. Harbour Town is absolutely overpriced, but worth it. Going back next year and going to play a couple different courses.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

• 4 months later...
On 6/11/2023 at 4:16 PM, Seattle_Maslow said:

Just got back from a family trip to SeaPines and had an absolute blast. I thought everything about it was top notch and would highly recommend as an incredibly family-friendly golf destination (even if your fam doesn't play). 

We rented a villa in SeaPines backing the 12th tee box of Heron Point (near the SeatPines center mall). The only complaint was that our villa was a bit tired, but it was one of the few dog-friendly ones within SeaPines so we didn't have a lot of choice. The location was awesome, we loved running the dogs at night on the golf courses (it's actually OK to do that, or at least no one yelled at us) and the bike paths make getting around very easy. It was a short drive to the beach, where we had parking at the beach club since we were staying in SeaPines).  We were very impressed with the food quality at the local restaurants and the ones at the golf courses (hamburgers a bit dry, but fish and other dishes were outstanding), and for a resort the prices were high but not painful. 

So, about the golf. I had heard very mixed things both here and at my club, but I loved it. Staying in the resort in peak (I think) season, it was $1022 to play the three courses (plus gratuity for Harbour Town forecaddie). 

I started on Atlantic Dunes the day after it got rained out (which is supposedly very rare). I did not play well for a variety of reasons, but would love another crack at it). Next round was at Harbour Town and I really enjoyed the experience. The conditions were fantastic and I found it to be just a great test of long, medium and short games. I played OK and still had a great time. Since carts were path only, I walked (the course is incredibly walkable). Then I played Heron Links and had the strangest round of my life (I know, nobody cares what you shot, but...). I really like that golf course, it's very fun...I holed a wedge on 10...pretty cool, then a couple bogeys until I stepped on the tee at 16 and dropped in my first ace, which I followed with a two-putt birdie on 17. I couldn't wait to get back to the clubhouse...even par on the back nine (with 5 bogeys...so weird). Everyone in the pro shop was fantastic, I got a 16 flag, a personalized plaque (which just came yesterday, only 9 days later). I played HT one more time and didn't get an ace but birdied 16 and 17 back-to-back. The 18th is indeed a monster with that headwind. 

If you're on the fence about going or playing in SeaPines, I'd recommend biting the bullet and doing it. 

I live in Sea Pines and have to saya huge CONGRATULATIONS for acing 16 on Heron.

For those that don't know, this is a 200 yard uphill shot from the blues, so plus or minus 10 yards depending on tees.  Even from 180-ish, there's often a coastal wind that will blow the ball into one of Pete Dye's dozen bunkers around this green.  

Not sure I'm aware of anyone locally that's ever aced 16 at Heron.

So again, CONGRATS!

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

My wife and I stayed at Sea Pines resort in October of '22. Played Atlantic Dunes, Harbour Town, and Heron Point. We also went down the road and played Palmetto Dunes Hills Course. Of those 4 courses, Atlantic Dunes was our favorite. But I liked all the courses to be honest, and we can't wait to go back. 

I will say about Harbour Town - it was a fun course and I am glad I crossed it off the bucket list. But I don't know if I would consider it a course that I feel like I "must play" if we went back to the area again. Especially not if the price is going to be $400-500. We got it as part of a package deal that brought the average greens fee price of the three courses down to about $220 per. 

We really enjoyed all the restaurants we ate at, including the one right at Sea Pines. Hilton Head is definitely on the radar for a return trip someday. 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

On 11/14/2023 at 3:18 PM, Roody said:

I will say about Harbour Town - it was a fun course and I am glad I crossed it off the bucket list. But I don't know if I would consider it a course that I feel like I "must play" if we went back to the area again. Especially not if the price is going to be $400-500. We got it as part of a package deal that brought the average greens fee price of the three courses down to about $220 per.

So I think Harbour Town is a very good golf course.  I also think its overpriced by $100-150.  I feel like maybe people go into Harbour Town expecting something different for some reason.  Maybe they see the pictures of 18 and expect a Kiawah-type setting.

I personally love the layout.  I think the back nine is so good, especially 13 and in.  HTGL also holds a special place in my heart, as my family has been vacationing to HHI for decades. So I always have to keep that in mind.

That said, I think Atlantic Dunes is just as much fun of a golf course at half the price.  Only hole I have a problem with is 16, which after playing it 3 times, I can confidently say it's just a bad hole.  Forcing someone into 200 yard shot, followed by a 170 yard shot into a tiny green is just bad. 

I played Heron Point for the first time this year, and enjoyed it as well.  A few quirky holes (#9 is an egregiously bad hole), but a good course none the less.

• Like 2

DRIVER: Callaway Mavrik Sub-Zero 10.5*

3W: Callaway Mavrik Sub-Zero

3H: Callaway Mavrik Tour

IRONS: Titleist 2019 T100 // 4-PW // DG AMT White S300

WEDGES: Vokey SM9 Raw // 50*, 54*, 58*

PUTTER: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

BALL: Titleist ProV1 (preferrably high #s)

BAG: Titleist LinksLegend Green/White

3 hours ago, Sep said:

That said, I think Atlantic Dunes is just as much fun of a golf course at half the price.  Only hole I have a problem with is 16, which after playing it 3 times, I can confidently say it's just a bad hole.  Forcing someone into 200 yard shot, followed by a 170 yard shot into a tiny green is just bad. 

I played Heron Point for the first time this year, and enjoyed it as well.  A few quirky holes (#9 is an egregiously bad hole), but a good course none the less.

Very well said about AD 16.  It just doesn’t make sense.  I suppose you can try to take a fairway metal or driver over the trees but that’s not possible from Blue or White.  Only the tip tips.

But I am curious what you don’t like about HP 9?  Haven’t heard that one before. 

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

1 hour ago, stimpmeterp said:

Very well said about AD 16.  It just doesn’t make sense.  I suppose you can try to take a fairway metal or driver over the trees but that’s not possible from Blue or White.  Only the tip tips.

But I am curious what you don’t like about HP 9?  Haven’t heard that one before. 

HP #9 is a similar situation as AD 16.  A par 5 that requires a 220 yard shot off the tee, which leaves you 260 or so in.  Any par 5 that forcefully takes Driver out of your hand off the tee (especially if it's impossible to get home in two because of it) is a bad par 5 IMO.

I love a good Par 5 (like 10 at Pinehurst No 2) that requires three great shots for birdie, but that's because of length.

That being said, HP #6 is a fantastic par 5.  Might be my favorite Par 5 in Sea Pines, with AD #9 a close second.

• Like 1

DRIVER: Callaway Mavrik Sub-Zero 10.5*

3W: Callaway Mavrik Sub-Zero

3H: Callaway Mavrik Tour

IRONS: Titleist 2019 T100 // 4-PW // DG AMT White S300

WEDGES: Vokey SM9 Raw // 50*, 54*, 58*

PUTTER: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

BALL: Titleist ProV1 (preferrably high #s)

BAG: Titleist LinksLegend Green/White

21 hours ago, Sep said:

So I think Harbour Town is a very good golf course.  I also think its overpriced by $100-150.  I feel like maybe people go into Harbour Town expecting something different for some reason.  Maybe they see the pictures of 18 and expect a Kiawah-type setting.

I personally love the layout.  I think the back nine is so good, especially 13 and in.  HTGL also holds a special place in my heart, as my family has been vacationing to HHI for decades. So I always have to keep that in mind.

Oh don't get me wrong, I liked HTGL. I love courses with tree-lined fairways, I definitely enjoyed it. And I agree, it's a tad overpriced though. Which is really most of my reasoning for why I wouldn't run out again to play it. If they knocked a little off the price, it'd be a no-brainer. 

Yeah, that 16th hole ticked me off. I shot pretty well on the front, and had a semi-decent back 9 going and then I hit 16. I made a dumb call and tried to hit a cut driver. Instead I ended up with a little double-cross and found myself in one of the bunkers on the left side. I can't quite remember how the rest of the shots went, but I ended up with a triple on the hole. 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 10:33 AM, Sep said:

No question the weak spot of that course, but the rest of the course kind of makes up for it.  Love Heron Point.  I have a love/hate relationship with HT.   It really is a great track.   Last time I played  it I hit 13 of 14 fairways and had the greatest time.   Other times...I've punched out from the pine straw more than I ever have haha